Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

Anyone know of a good video that explains the Drive Rush and Impact mechanics?

Every clip of the game I see, I get lost when (I’m assuming) these appear... I see one character do some slow down rush/attack thing (surrounded by a colourful blob thing), and then often, the other player reacts with a different (or maybe same?) colourful blob thing and it either stuffs the first attack or the first attack stuffs the second attack. I literally have no idea what’s happening during these sequences.

16 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Every clip of the game I see, I get lost when (I’m assuming) these appear... I see one character do some slow down rush/attack thing (surrounded by a colourful blob thing), and then often, the other player reacts with a different (or maybe same?) colourful blob thing and it either stuffs the first attack or the first attack stuffs the second attack. I literally have no idea what’s happening during these sequences.

Essentially the second Drive Impact always wins. So you don't want to throw them out in a situation were your opponent can retaliate with one of their own. In the rare event that both Drive Impacts land on the same frame, there is Drive Clash that resets both players back to neutral.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
2 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Toyman Blanka

Okay small rant incoming but MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN this is honestly my favorite thing about SF6 so far. The game designers just seem completely unafraid to give every character a bunch of shit. This Blanka Chan stuff would 100% been a Vtrigger 3 or something if SFV was still going. Some characters just felt so damn reserved like they were afraid of something being too good, then locked all the "crazy" stuff behind V Trigger activations. 

Cody was the biggest example of that for a while. Literally he didn't become a fun character until he hit VT2 and pulled out his pipe. 

Edited by Jocelot
17 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

Are you hoping JP will be the Bison function or are you eying someone else?

Nobody will ever replace Bison, man! 💔

I won't lie though, none of my usual characters except Guile made it into the launch roster. So I am hoping JP can hold my interest until his royal badness joins the game. AKI is my next hope.

4 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I know the question was answered but this is so far my only real complaint with what I’ve seen of the game. I’m sure it’ll be much more clear when I can get my hands on the game and play myself. But watching these clips when it comes to the universal drive mechanics I usually have no idea what I’m looking at. All the mechanics all being named “Drive xyz” is also a bit confusing for me.

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I know the question was answered but this is so far my only real complaint with what I’ve seen of the game. I’m sure it’ll be much more clear when I can get my hands on the game and play myself. But watching these clips when it comes to the universal drive mechanics I usually have no idea what I’m looking at. All the mechanics all being named “Drive xyz” is also a bit confusing for me.

Same. But I also had troubles with the rainbow of RCs before Strive released too. After a couple hours hands-on it was never an issue again.  ig the same here.

11 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

But I also had troubles with the rainbow of RCs before Strive released

Which is hilarious, since Strive is the game with more types of RCs and rules to be aware about them, to the point that many people consider it bloated compared to previous RC systems.

Edited by Hecatom
3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah, tbh, it’s a slight concern I have for the casual spectators who are just watching to watch a good fight. Everytime one of these situations come up, I get confused and go cross-eyed 

3 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, tbh, it’s a slight concern I have for the casual spectators who are just watching to watch a good fight. Everytime one of these situations come up, I get confused and go cross-eyed 

From a naming stand point, it's really not that dissimilar from the V System in SFV. V-Skill, V-Trigger, V-Reversal, V-Shift. Now we have Drive Impact, Drive Parry, Over Drive, Drive Rush, and Drive Reversal. Parry's and Over Drive will likely be referred to as Parry's and EX Moves. 

8 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

From a naming stand point, it's really not that dissimilar from the V System in SFV. V-Skill, V-Trigger, V-Reversal, V-Shift. Now we have Drive Impact, Drive Parry, Over Drive, Drive Rush, and Drive Reversal. Parry's and Over Drive will likely be referred to as Parry's and EX Moves. 

I don’t really mean the naming, just understanding what’s happening. I swear whenever a drive something or another happens, I take a guess how it’s going to go and I’m often wrong. Idk if I’m seeing a couple different drive moves and mixing them up with each other (so that I get mixed up what the outcome should be) or what’s going on, but I never seem to guess the right outcome and I always get confused and wonder why. From a spectator standpoint, it’s certainly ruining the action for me.

I haven’t watched any matches since you explained it though, so maybe that’ll help.

10 hours ago, Jocelot said:

Okay small rant incoming but MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN this is honestly my favorite thing about SF6 so far. The game designers just seem completely unafraid to give every character a bunch of shit. This Blanka Chan stuff would 100% been a Vtrigger 3 or something if SFV was still going. Some characters just felt so damn reserved like they were afraid of something being too good, then locked all the "crazy" stuff behind V Trigger activations. 

Cody was the biggest example of that for a while. Literally he didn't become a fun character until he hit VT2 and pulled out his pipe. 

I think Street Fighter has historically been more grounded and conservative with its special moves compared to other 2D/2.5D fighters. SF5 was in many ways our first foray in "crazy anime" moves. People resonated with the VT versions of their characters more and Capcom took note.

SF6's character designs feel bold but the truth is the risk was already taken by SF5. SF5 gets a lot of flak, sometimes rightly so, but it will be remembered as the other odd numbered entry in the series that flipped the script.

Now SF6 can sweep right in and claim all the goods of its forefathers and ignore the bad. SF6 will be the golden child!

3 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I don’t really mean the naming, just understanding what’s happening. I swear whenever a drive something or another happens, I take a guess how it’s going to go and I’m often wrong. Idk if I’m seeing a couple different drive moves and mixing them up with each other (so that I get mixed up what the outcome should be) or what’s going on, but I never seem to guess the right outcome and I always get confused and wonder why. From a spectator standpoint, it’s certainly ruining the action for me.

I haven’t watched any matches since you explained it though, so maybe that’ll help.

The only two aspects coming out of the Drive system that are unique to SF6 (to a degree) are Impact and Rush. Drive Impact is the move with the big colour splash that looks and works a bit like a Focus Attack from SFIV. And Drive Rush is the quick forward dash visualised by a green aura around the character, which characters can do either in neutral or cancelled from a move.  So as long as you can differentiate between those two you should be fine, because Drive Parry is just a Parry, Over Drive is just an EX Move and Drive Reversal just a V-Reversal/Alpha counter. In other words mechanics already established in previous SF games.

3 hours ago, delete_me said:

The only two aspects coming out of the Drive system that are unique to SF6 (to a degree) are Impact and Rush. Drive Impact is the move with the big colour splash that looks and works a bit like a Focus Attack from SFIV. And Drive Rush is the quick forward dash visualised by a green aura around the character, which characters can do either in neutral or cancelled from a move.  So as long as you can differentiate between those two you should be fine, because Drive Parry is just a Parry, Over Drive is just an EX Move and Drive Reversal just a V-Reversal/Alpha counter. In other words mechanics already established in previous SF games.

This is actually what partially contributes to the confusion for me. I know it’s mostly stuff that already exists in other games but the fact it’s called something different here is throwing me.

But like I said I’m sure it’ll fix itself once I can actually play

4 hours ago, delete_me said:

Even Drive Rush seems to evoke FADC's, while Drive Impact is like a Level 3 Focus Attack.

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

This is actually what partially contributes to the confusion for me. I know it’s mostly stuff that already exists in other games but the fact it’s called something different here is throwing me.

But like I said I’m sure it’ll fix itself once I can actually play

I know for sure I'll always call the yellow specials EX moves and not Over Drive. That's the one new nomenclature that feels kind of forced.

4 hours ago, Dracu said:

Even Drive Rush seems to evoke FADC's, while Drive Impact is like a Level 3 Focus Attack.

Part of my issue with SF6’s drives mechanics may be that I never played SF4. I have no idea what an FADC or Focus Attack is (I actually thought they were the same thing).

I’ll have to look up some videos this weekend when I have a few mins

6 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Part of my issue with SF6’s drives mechanics may be that I never played SF4. I have no idea what an FADC or Focus Attack is (I actually thought they were the same thing).

I’ll have to look up some videos this weekend when I have a few mins

FA is the chargeable strike with a hit of armor, unblockable when fully charged.  It costs two bars but cancels pretty much any move in the game.

The charge up itself can then be Cancelled by a Dash, fadc, either forward or backwards dash.