Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

I'm beginning to wonder if Street Fighter 6 will be a "lab-intensive" game. They are giving many tools for training mode and streamlining the process for everyone. (Which is of course, a good thing.) I know one of the chief complaints of SFV was that it felt like it took a safe route to gameplay. The amount of mechanics in SF6 alone seems to be on par with an anime game or something. I'm hoping it won't be lab-intense like sf4 was, but I am curious what other people think so far about what we have seen.

I do imagine that things like FADC (drive rush) coming back will create some funky situations. The nature of a parry vs perfect parry will give incentive to some players to use that as a means of getting out of certain situations. The idea of a strategy that creates the most net-positive meter regen doesn't seem to far-fetched either. An offensive strategy that are drive reversal-safe? Just some of the things I've been thinking of.

5 minutes ago, elliephil said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Street Fighter 6 will be a "lab-intensive" game. They are giving many tools for training mode and streamlining the process for everyone. (Which is of course, a good thing.) I know one of the chief complaints of SFV was that it felt like it took a safe route to gameplay. The amount of mechanics in SF6 alone seems to be on par with an anime game or something. I'm hoping it won't be lab-intense like sf4 was, but I am curious what other people think so far about what we have seen.

I think the game will have a lot to lab

Every character seems to have a shitload of options and as you said, the system mechanics probably leave a lot to explore

They seem to be committed to not making combos too hard, so there will probably be generous buffers like sfv. In that sense i don't think people will be in there grinding links. I bet people will find ways to push the system in difficult to execute ways tho

22 minutes ago, elliephil said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Street Fighter 6 will be a "lab-intensive" game. They are giving many tools for training mode and streamlining the process for everyone. (Which is of course, a good thing.) I know one of the chief complaints of SFV was that it felt like it took a safe route to gameplay.

There were a surprising amount of things to lab in SF5. Unfortunately they were "uninteresting" interactions so people didn't really dig deep into them.

i'm thinking this game is going to be the same in that there will be a lot of "uninteresting" interactions that you can take a look at in depth.

1 hour ago, elliephil said:

I do imagine that things like FADC (drive rush) coming back will create some funky situations. The nature of a parry vs perfect parry will give incentive to some players to use that as a means of getting out of certain situations. The idea of a strategy that creates the most net-positive meter regen doesn't seem to far-fetched either. An offensive strategy that are drive reversal-safe? Just some of the things I've been thinking of.

SFV was actually pretty lab intensive but I agree with what Sonero said that the things to lab were just kind of boring.  Like practicing meaty timings and how do I not die to this character's V-trigger - are not what I would call stimulating.  

As much as SF4 gets hate for vortex and unblockables,  I found myself spending and enjoying my time in training mode grinding setups and execution.  I get that that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think having a deep game is good for its long term health.  Similarly,  SF6 is looking to be more lab intensive with all the drive mechanics, plus the extra tools they've added to training mode will actually encourage people not to ignore this stuff.  Two thumbs up from me.  

I don't know if Kim's follow-ups after blocking the run are that scary, there seems to be enough startup to either DP or air-to-air when she does that. But maybe it's the Laura situation again where she has so many tools to look out for that you won't be able to be ready for everything. We'll see.

I'm surprised her usage difficulty is described as "normal" by Capcom though. The ninja archetype and Guy and even Zeku have been rather complex characters for more experienced players, it's a bit weird they put her in same group as Ryu.

1 minute ago, mykka said:

Starting to believe the Feb 2023 release date, only 7 characters remain to be shown

Right now things that interest me before release:

1- Netcode Confirmation

2- JP Reveal

3- Are we getting Arcade Mode? Are we getting a cinematic story mode or is World Tour the new story mode?

4- What is the business model being used for SF6? Is it the same as SF5 with a single purchase and microtransactions being purely cosmetic (no P2W) ?

5- When/how will they announce the first season and how will they sell it?

5 minutes ago, Daemos said:

1- Netcode Confirmation

2- JP Reveal

3- Are we getting Arcade Mode? Are we getting a cinematic story mode or is World Tour the new story mode?

4- What is the business model being used for SF6? Is it the same as SF5 with a single purchase and microtransactions being purely cosmetic (no P2W) ?

I'm thinking they learnt their lesson about not having an Arcade Mode, so I believe it will be there.

Hopefully the first season wont be just the 4 characters we know about

35 minutes ago, Daemos said:

I'm never going to play Lily. Both designs do not appeal to me. But the facepaint and poncho just seem too on the nose and kinda dated.

Idk to me was capcom designers not giving fucks and doing what they considered a good SF design (and was pretty good imho) with all the anachronistical stereotypes that come with it (she would have looked perfect next to T.Hawk), the redesign feels to me some marketing shit told them "hey hey, plan is pretend with america we are politically correct now, change it" mixed with SF6 shoehorned "modern" feel

And i'm sure lot will feel "better that way!" about marketing interfere with design to fit current sensibilities, just not me

My 2cent is current smart Capcom is trying really hard to please some kind of american sentiment (wich is also very prevalent in gaming journalism), so original Lily design paid the price

But again, not going to open big debate over this, what is done is done... hope she get original design as alt, so i can set it as default and everyone is happy 👍

22 minutes ago, Daemos said:

1- Netcode Confirmation

2- JP Reveal

I hope it does have an arcade mode, but I’d hope that the AI doesn’t have any easy exploits (like jump-ins or sweeps in SFV), and that they track high scores. I always love a fun arcade mode that you can replay to try and beat your best score if you aren’t in the mood for labbing or playing online.

also, regarding the business model, I can’t remember which video I saw it in, but it seems like you need some in-game currency to buy some  gear (possibly only for your battle hub/world tour avatar, but it could also be for alt costumes for the main cast as well, who knows). I’d imagine you could earn this in-game, but I’d also assume you can purchase it with real money. But yeah, I want to see more details on this.

45 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Idk to me was capcom designers not giving fucks and doing what they considered a good SF design (and was pretty good imho) with all the anachronistical stereotypes that come with it (she would have looked perfect next to T.Hawk), the redesign feels to me some marketing shit told them "hey hey, plan is pretend with america we are politically correct now, change it" mixed with SF6 shoehorned "modern" feel

And i'm sure lot will feel "better that way!" about marketing interfere with design to fit current sensibilities, just not me

My 2cent is current smart Capcom is trying really hard to please some kind of american sentiment (wich is also very prevalent in gaming journalism), so original Lily design paid the price

But again, not going to open big debate over this, what is done is done... hope she get original design as alt, so i can set it as default and everyone is happy 👍

Sometimes it's better to trash how things use to work if it causes more harm than good. Holding on to a harmful stereotype around because it's traditional SF is some side eye shit. TBH, the newer design is better. 

4 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Who the hell is Lily?

T. Hawk if he were a little girl (rare instance where turning a male character into a chick feels like a downgrade to me).

She's one of the new characters that were leaked with the rest of the roster. The Mexican Indian girl with the two clubs.

Edited by Phantom_Miria