Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

17 minutes ago, delete_me said:

Blanka arguably looks the worst he's ever looked. He reminds me of the "paint big guy green to get monster for film" era à la Lou Ferrigno.

Admittedly, Blanka is predictably the most difficult classic character to translate into the new artstyle. I think they did the best job possible by making him even more ape-like. His facial bone structure resembles a gorilla more precisely because anything else would look even weirder.

Seeing him in motion and the close-ups in the super however, I'm inclined to disagree with you. I think this is the best 3D Blanka to date. The same is true for Ken.

Sim and Honda always translated well, they looked great in SF5 and just as good in a different way here.

1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

CPU matches

Kimberly has a cute detail. When she uses her level 3, the music she’s listening to overrides whatever theme is playing.

Ken's new forward throw is cool, they returned closer to Ryu's one but they still made it very Ken style, beside the knee strike even the throw itself is more dynamic and use more legs/hip and momentum to launch opponent, while Ryu's more stable, just do the rotation to find ideal position then use more upper body strenght to throw you above hip

Love this shit, SF6 attention to details in such simple things is awesome

Cool to see normal Lv3 vs desperation version too

These are the character stats for most of the characters previewed so far :  

Juri

• Difficulty = Hard
  • Type = Speed
  • Effective range = Short range

Chun

• Difficulty = Hard
  • Type = Speed
  • Effective range = Mid Range

Ryu :

• Difficulty = Normal
  • Type = Standard
  • Effective Range = Mid Range

Guile 

• Difficulty = Normal
  • Type = Standard
  • Effective Range = Long Range

Ken

• Difficulty = Normal
  • Type = Power

Jamie

• Difficulty = Normal
  • Type = Tricky

Luke

• Difficulty = Normal
  • Type = Standard

Kimberly :

• Difficulty = Normal
  • Type = Speed

SF6 will be a very good game. Hopefully I get into the CBT and get to play a little more Ryu and some Ken, I very much missed the feeling of having the legacy shoto range on those characters. I think Ken will be a super scary character if you have really strong reactive play, I can already imagine what players like Momochi will do with his kit, going to be great to watch & play.

Was checking out more gameplay vids and even though you can turn it off i still can't stress this enough

If they want the commentator to be even be considered by the players then they really need to change how it's implemented because these dudes never shup up for a couple of seconds to give you some breathing room. 

It not only gets annoying but it gets tiring for the player itself imo. Game is looking awesome but this is a waste of resources without a doubt.

7 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Like it or not, narratives are what helps games to attract newcomers.

No it doesn't.They want a story mode. They could give fuck all what happens in the story.  Like I've been saying now for way too many years, those types of players just need something they can do that lets them say they played the game.

You think people picked Ramlethal because she was one aspect of the fractured personality of Sol's wife (who was turned into the robot Justice)? Fuck no, they picked her because she looked kinda cute and had big swords.

NRS people buy those games fully well knowning those stories are wack. Actually at this point they buy them because the stories are wack. They're invested into the IP and don't know how to stop themselves. As long as it doesn't get to offensive, it won't matter how bad the story is because they buy for story mode. Any narrative merit is tertiary to them playing through a story mode.

Since story mode is basically just a really fancy shovelware you add to the game for sales, don't shit up the gameplay experience of people who would actually play the characters. "Oh no, your character can't comeback because they died" is the stupidest shit to tell somebody. "Oh you liked this moveset and other things associated with playing it? Well fuck it they killed it and you are never getting it back". That's so unbelievably corny and short sighted it hurts.

38 minutes ago, Sonero said:

No it doesn't.They want a story mode. They could give fuck all what happens in the story.  Like I've been saying now for way too many years, those types of players just need something they can do that lets them say they played the game.

You think people picked Ramlethal because she was one aspect of the fractured personality of Sol's wife (who was turned into the robot Justice)? Fuck no, they picked her because she looked kinda cute and had big swords.

NRS people buy those games fully well knowning those stories are wack. Actually at this point they buy them because the stories are wack. They're invested into the IP and don't know how to stop themselves. As long as it doesn't get to offensive, it won't matter how bad the story is because they buy for story mode. Any narrative merit is tertiary to them playing through a story mode.

Since story mode is basically just a really fancy shovelware you add to the game for sales, don't shit up the gameplay experience of people who would actually play the characters. "Oh no, your character can't comeback because they died" is the stupidest shit to tell somebody. "Oh you liked this moveset and other things associated with playing it? Well fuck it they killed it and you are never getting it back". That's so unbelievably corny and short sighted it hurts.

I don't agree with you in the slightest. Do you follow lore at all? It doesn't seem so. I'm not even deep into MK lore and I heard the complaining about the story narrative in both 10 and 11. Just because you don't care about something doesn't mean the general community has the same feeling. The dissonance between hardcore fighting game fans and everyone else continues to be a thing.

50 minutes ago, Sonero said:

"Oh no, your character can't comeback because they died" is the stupidest shit to tell somebody. "Oh you liked this moveset and other things associated with playing it? Well fuck it they killed it and you are never getting it back". That's so unbelievably corny and short sighted it hurts.

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Capcom wouldn't invest this much into world tour if they thought the story didn't matter. I remember how crucified SF5 was at launch for it's lack of single player content. That fuck up stalled the growth of the game until the release of championship edition.

Popularity of the Soul Calibur series is largely for it's single player. Weapon master, chronicle of the sword, the tower mode and create a fighter. I'm sure someone from Namco even confirmed that the series is more popular with casuals than anyone else.

36 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The dissonance between hardcore fighting game fans and everyone else continues to be a thing.

Considering I have friends who are basically complete normies to FGs that I can talk to about why they bought things...nah. I know exactly how that type of person thinks because thats what my friends were doing. When MK 12 comes around, he'll wanna play it solely because there is some type of story mode. That's it. Doesn't matter whether the story is good or not, he is going to be curious about it.

Worrying about character motivation and other random super nerd shit....that's on you. You're literally the dumb dumb hardcore of story mode shit. You know who isn't? Most of the people who want a story mode. They just wanna be able to play through some story and say they played the game. This isn't me judging them, that's just what their needs are when they do a fighting game purchase. BlazBlue's story is absolute gibberish. The game still sold because they slapped some story mode to it for that  crowd and called it a day.

How deep you need to go to meet the needs of any of these players is a toss up. For some players a few win quotes and an arcade mode ending is enough; for others its just telling them that things changed "because of story" and they can go "oh wow, there's a story somewhere and things change because of it, totallly radical!" etc.; others need to know that Ryu changed type of underwear because it used to be what his mother bought him as a kid. Its w/e. But the deeper it goes, the more niche the people that care about those details become.

The real dissonance here is how much what you care really matters. You know how we can show this? How many of the 3S people have made it back to SF6? Let's take a look at it real quick. We have the all of the world warriors, then we have...oh damn two of the New Challengers then...hmm...the SF4 Broad that's there solely because casual fans think she is super cool. Alright and two characters from SF5 (Rahisd and Ed at that).  Wait a minute, that's right, not a single person from SF3.

How should we deal with this lack of SF3 characters in this game? Let's look at the Story Mode numbnuts approach and the Sonero appraoch. Story Mode numbnuts approach is "well that whole saga got resolved so we don't have to put them in unless they are part of the story". Damn, that feels super fucking shitty for people who liked that series. Let's then take the Sonero approach: "Hey man, there's nobody from 3S in here, that's really shitty for the people who loved that series. You gotta throw them a bone and put at least one person in there."  One of these approaches actually gives two fucks about the players, the experience they get from characters and series and other is just fulfilling the niche needs of a small amount of customers.  Guess who really has the niche point of view on rosters? Because it sure as fuck isn't me because I'm not arguing for people missing out.

All I have ever said is as follows:

1) A section of players need a story because they like it.

1.a) Because they like story stuff, you give them a story mode because that makes them feel good about their purchase.

1.b)  Make the story mode feel like they played a game to meet their needs.

2) Certain players just want to play the characters they like.

2.a) Because players become attached to characters, you have to treat these characters and the unique gameplay experience they provide with respect.

2.b) Excluding characters is going to always take away from the experience for those players.

3) Some players just want their games to feel like a whole package.

3.a) These people just want modes, so add modes that are fun to play.

3.b) these people also want random fluff and goals to make them feel good for accomplishing them, so add that stuff too.

3.c) Hell even add goofy mini-games because stuff like this will make them feel like they bought a whole game.

4) this section of players just wants to play.

4.a) Make sure there's a good cross section of characters.

4.b) online functionality needs to be good.

4.c) Give it a good ass training mode.

Out of all of these, only one section of players want their needs met in a way to ruin the experience of others. And it is solely the story mode people who want characters to die and other bullshit that makes it harder to include characters.

Because look at Daemos. The guy has been playing since forever. He has the one character he loves: Bison. So now because of dumb story shit in SF5, he has to actually talk who have the gibberish opinion of "well I don't think BIson should be in SF6 because I'm tired of him as a villain and the story has to move on." A whole style of gameplay has to be kept out or replaced with an aesthetic he may not enjoy as much just because some players don't like it for story reasons.

The only way I can be happy is if my needs are met by making sure the thing that makes you happy doesn't make it in.

Do you see it now? Do you see how shitty that point of view is? Can you process how much it fucking sucks to deal with the fact that this character you really liked playing never gets to show up again just because of some story nonsense?

Fucking hell. I have literally never advocated for people to miss out on the shit they like. I want my needs met. My needs are good ass online and training mode. If you can make those two pleasent to use, that's fine. IDGAF  if they gotta put in random bullshit for other players, becuase I understand its for other players. But at no point am I or have I advocated for a line of logic that would make others unhappy.

HURR DURR Hardcore. LMAO. :coffee:

I'm more on the ARCADE mode or a short version of Storymode that are intertwined but can exist as a separate version of their own

In fact in 2020 I put a huge list why Storymode isn't necessary and everything what are the pros and cons but Arcade mode is, I prefer short story and focus stories like Juri's OVA

19 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

@Darc_Requiem

Just had terrible suspect, don't like much they call it "avatar" rather than "created characters"

Feels like may be one for account

On positive side would be retarded af on their part, considering how much multiple characters would boost their DLC money potential

I've been having a terrible day so far, so I'll just add this to the pile. I miss Louisiana. I could go grab drink on lunch break and no one would give a damn. The calendar says Friday but it seems like Monday. 😑

7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I've been having a terrible day so far, so I'll just add this to the pile. I miss Louisiana. I could go grab drink on lunch break and no one would give a damn. The calendar says Friday but it seems like Monday. 😑

Tbh would wait at count it on negative side, probably just bit of pessimism on my part... again, would be pretty dumb move on their side

Smartest profit path would be allow multiple slots (let's say 10) and fill the shop with good quality DLC items, maybe

-stuff to recreate the chars that will not make it to SF6

-LOT of waifu stuff

-Classic Capcom characters pieces and maybe even pieces of guest (example we seen SFEX in SFV)

If you limit my "avatar" to 1 (for no reason while at it lol), i will inevitably have MUCH more narrow interest for DLCs as just a small amount of products will fit my only character

SF6 people seems pretty smart, so dumb error would surprise me