Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I can't even get into the Strive Beta. Apparently I'm no the only one though. I guess "Failed to upload R-Code" is Strives version of the SFV's 40002 code 😑

Apparently, there were some issues with the Strive Beta servers and ArcSys is already working to solve them. 

I've been without electricity over the last 24 hours (wiring issues) so I'm not really in the loop right now, but I'll keep an eye out for news.

Speaking of "news"... Take a look at the latest news from Eventscrubs.

EScrubs_at_journalism.png 

If you take a closer look, you'll notice several issues here. The first and most obvious is that there was no "tech roundup" or "highlight matches" articles.

The second is that literally not one positive thing was said about the game, so you can notice a bit of a smear campaign going on.

This is made even worse by the time of these articles. Notice how every article has been either plain or negative for the last three days.

Now remember that Eventhubs is the current premier site for FG news. A monkey with a typewriter could've done a better job at detailing news and hyping up Strive. Even I did a better job in this thread. Unironically.

Just food for thought.

I think the main purpose of the break is to give yourself an option to hit an opponent in a situation you otherwise couldn't. If you don't need to use the break and can land a real punish, that's ideal. But if they canceled a normal you shifted into a fireball or something, you'd just get hit at the end of the shift. So the break, fully invincible, will save you from that.

Or say you're at midscreen with no life vs Poison and she does her CA to chip you. You can shift it, but maybe not get in close in time to punish. The break might hit, and grey damage + knockdown is better than nothing. Using the break doesn't use additional resources, so it's entirely optional and situational to use it.

Plus if it caused real damage that would essentially cease all offense in low-life situations, they probably don't want that.

Edited by Yiceman
6 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

Plus if it caused real damage that would essentially cease all offense in low-life situations, they probably don't want that.

I understand the gray damage. It makes sense. The problem is V-Shift is basically an invul backdash with extra steps. Characters in this game have very stubby buttons.

Break was added so people could actually hit out of Shift if they didn't have an option that reached the opponent. However, Break with this damage is a very weak deterrent. You're burning half a V-Bar for a V-Reversal with extra steps. *If* you get the timing right.

3 minutes ago, Volt said:

I understand the gray damage. It makes sense. The problem is V-Shift is basically an invul backdash with extra steps. Characters in this game have very stubby buttons.

Break was added so people could actually hit out of Shift if they didn't have an option that reached the opponent. However, Break with this damage is a very weak deterrent. You're burning half a V-Bar for a V-Reversal with extra steps. *If* you get the timing right.

I think it's fine like that, personally. It's an escape tool first and foremost, rather than an all-purpose "counter" I think. I mean, say you shifted in place and could punish jabs or something. That would stutter offense in this game a little too much. The fact that the defensive player can't punish relatively safe things is good, if you ask me. Landing a fat punish off of a shift will probably only happen when the attacker is going full gorilla. And I think it works best that way.

Just keep it in your mind as a way to escape the really BS set-play nonsense some characters have in trigger, like G cancelling the flip kick into command grab, or Akuma V-trigger demon flip shit. If it saves your ass there, even without letting you punish, it's a valuable tool. If you use it when they do some dumb shit and land a full punish, that's a valuable too. If you shift their standing medium punch and just reset the neutral, it sounds like you just panicked and used a bar when you probably didn't need to. Working as intended, imo.

3 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

I think it's fine like that, personally. It's an escape tool first and foremost, rather than an all-purpose "counter" I think. I mean, say you shifted in place and could punish jabs or something. That would stutter offense in this game a little too much. The fact that the defensive player can't punish relatively safe things is good, if you ask me. Landing a fat punish off of a shift will probably only happen when the attacker is going full gorilla. And I think it works best that way.

Just keep it in your mind as a way to escape the really BS set-play nonsense some characters have in trigger, like G cancelling the flip kick into command grab, or Akuma V-trigger demon flip shit. If it saves your ass there, even without letting you punish, it's a valuable tool. If you use it when they do some dumb shit and land a full punish, that's a valuable too. If you shift their standing medium punch and just reset the neutral, it sounds like you just panicked and used a bar when you probably didn't need to. Working as intended, imo.

Realistically, you're mostly Shifting non Sp. Cancellable Heavies and yolo midscreen specials. Otherwise people will just bust you up with a phantom cancel.

My issue is not with Shift, it seems pretty good. My issue is with Break. You're not landing a full punish, you're hitting them for some gray damage and a no oki KD. The damage gotta at least make it a real option. Break did like, 80. Maybe even less.

That's fair, I do still think it has to be grey damage no matter how much though, or every end of match will just be a staring contest. How much grey damage do v-reversals do? I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same amount.

Personally I think they didn't go too big with the v-break damage because they didn't want to irritate casuals. I can already picture some DSP types raging about the mechanic because they keep losing 30% when their unsafe unga bunga offense gets read. It's a defensive option to save good players from degenerate shit that isn't quite strong enough to shut down casual play.

Just now, Yiceman said:

That's fair, I do still think it has to be grey damage no matter how much though, or every end of match will just be a staring contest.

I agree, besides it's an invul defensive mechanic, real damage wouldn't really be the point lmao.

I think something between 120-150 Grey would be significant enough for people to not "just do it".

Just now, Yiceman said:

I wouldn't mind trying to play some people here in the beta, but I have literally never played a GG, never really watched any matches, and didn't do a whole lot of research into the game mechanics. Trying to figure out some stuff in training mode now.

also is this guy's name really "sol badguy" are we just okay with that or...

Unfamiliar with the lore, but it seems he and Ky have a Lucifer Jesus thing going on. ? 

3 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Unfamiliar with the lore, but it seems he and Ky have a Lucifer Jesus thing going on. ? 

Not really. It's more of a rebel vs order thing. Or was.

6 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

I wouldn't mind trying to play some people here in the beta, but I have literally never played a GG, never really watched any matches, and didn't do a whole lot of research into the game mechanics. Trying to figure out some stuff in training mode now.

Strive is a whole new beast, so don't worry too much about it. 

Speaking of beast... This kinda looks practical.

9 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

Is a reference to Queen.

GG was full of it (Strive deviating from it by toning down the musical references to zero with their newcomers), from character names, apperances, special move names, etc.

Sol from GG to Xrd used to have his Idle stance modeled after how Freddy Mercury hold the mic.

In lore Sol, is a fan of Queen and Freddy Mercury like the creator of GG.

Edited by Hecatom
21 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

@MattatsuI can be ready at the 10:00 pm central/14 minutes from now. Still trying to do something halfway decent.

Sounds good! I’ll be ready and won’t be doing anything near decent 🤣

Do you have any idea how to set this up? And what’s your in-game name?

edit: you have to do the online/lobby tutorial btw

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, Yiceman said:

Sol isn't his birth name.  Back when he was human his name was Frederick.

Guilty Gear story is really interesting before Guilty Gear 2.  Then it gets weird.

6 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Guilty Gear story is really interesting before Guilty Gear 2.  Then it gets weird.

Just around the time Ky puts a baby in Dizzy. Then all the loli jokes started to roll in... 🤣

I actually like it post-GG2 more now. No crazy non-canon bs.

This lobby system is frustrating. I fought an AI to determine how “good” I was, and it stuck me on a floor where everyone is killing me in seconds, and I can’t seem to suck enough to get access to lower floors.

i’m done with SFV, but I really think their matchmaking/lobby system is the best... why do i have to be restricted to these 32 players in this park that are all better than me and who are all fighting each other, while everyone is leaving me alone?

edit: oh there i go, finally got demoted 🤣

Edited by Mattatsu
On 2/19/2021 at 3:15 AM, Shakunetsu said:

This just exposes these idiots as never being actual journalists who do research, or who've ever played either franchise. But I guess they tried to get some woke points but got clocked by their stupidity

2 hours ago, misterBee said:

Sol isn't his birth name.  Back when he was human his name was Frederick.

GG2 story was whack as fuck.

But i have to say that its gameplay was ahead of its time, it is really fun to play, if you are willing to ignore the jank that has in some places.