Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

That's about the same timeline I'm on. Specific days may be a bit random but I want to try to hop on a couple of times while its up. 

I'll also be on tonight but that may just end up being character scouting since I have something at 8.

Yeah, I won’t be able to play tonight by the time it’s done downloading but should be on tomorrow night though... I do want to spend a bit labbing Millia (who I gather will be my main, at least for the beta - don’t want to waste the little time I have in training mode nitpicking mains)

I’m also not sure how much I’ll want to play tomorrow. I’m going to be very tired by tomorrow night 

11 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

Y'all need to check out Omito's stream, he speaks surprisingly a lot of English and is hella funny

said "fuck Zappa" lmao

Does he?

I think he's just reading out DeepL translations LOL

edit: No wait I'm listening to him talk to some ppl in chat and he actually does know some English.  Nice.

6 hours ago, Volt said:

V-Shift was a hot topic for all of 10 minutes until the Strive Beta dropped with actually playable netcode. 🤣

It's really hard to not get hype for that.

Speaking of that, it is really amusing how Capcom has a better version of the same netcode of SFV on MVCI (Allegedly) and never ported it back to SFV.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Don't forget your Bite setups.

(And to send them to me. 👀)

All my bites come from when I can get plus frames from the tele dash. So 236S into 236K and I've also been trying to react to any heavy slashes that they blocked low to the ground during a block string with 236K. Nice way to get plus frames for only half of a bar of blood gauge 

We also need to get megashock people in the same lobby tonight at some point 

Edited by Flighflighflugit
10 minutes ago, Flighflighflugit said:

We also need to get megashock people in the same lobby tonight at some point 

Should be easy. The Beta has a set time, right? Just organize yourselves on a set lobby and floor that's mostly empty. 🤷‍♂️

Who's in the Beta Tonight?

32 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Speaking of that, it is really amusing how Capcom has a better version of the same netcode of SFV on MVCI (Allegedly) and never ported it back to SFV.

From what I heard, it’s not quite the same as the models in MVCI are a different type of model (don’t remember the term) , and they don’t have things like flowing clothing/hair like SFV does. 

I don’t think the netcode can be easily ported over... I remember hearing a pretty detailed thing about this on some podcast a while back.

but I also don’t know shit and am regurgitating what I heard from someone else, who may also not know shit

Edited by Mattatsu
20 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

From what I heard, it’s not quite the same as the models in MVCI are a different type of model (don’t remember the term) , and they don’t have things like flowing clothing/hair like SFV does. 

I don’t think the netcode can be easily ported over... I remember hearing a pretty detailed thing about this on some podcast a while back.

but I also don’t know shit and am regurgitating what I heard from someone else, who may also not know shit

Both games use Kagemusha, supposedly.

With MVCI using a newer version of it.

Kagemusha is their internally developed Rollback Netcode.

It is the successor of the SFxT netcode which was for the most part good.

The type of 3d models shouldn't really be an issue, since what you are doing with rollback is storing game states where the game can return when a dsynch happens, kinda like a save state on an emulator. (Oversimplifying some stuff of course).

And both games run on UE4, so is not like they have to repurpose a lot of code to fit a different engine 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Illwill88 said:

I won't be in till Saturday but I'll definitely be trying the strive beta out. The hardest part is deciding who to play.  Since i won't have much time I'm going to go with whoever's easiest to pick up and play.

That sound like either Sol or Ky.

Also who do you play in other games, might help narrow it down.

Yeah the impression I always got from SFV was that it was a time and effort issue. I.e. they didn't have the time and didn't want to put in the effort (or couldn't). By and large any time they've gone under the hood to tweak the netcode for SFV they have always been minimal changes. 

For MvCI I think it was more the case that they took whatever lessons they had from SFV and applied them, and got it right on that try. Which is good because that game was fated to not get a second chance if they had fucked it up. ☠️

I think for SF6 we can and will see legit improvements to the netcode base. But it seems like if that was ever going to really happen for SFV that door has closed and they are in firm maintenance mode. I'd love for them to be wrong and drop a last minute legit upgrade in these final season updates. The more games that have functioning, robust online, the better.

4 minutes ago, Illwill88 said:

I won't be in till Saturday but I'll definitely be trying the strive beta out. The hardest part is deciding who to play.  Since i won't have much time I'm going to go with whoever's easiest to pick up and play.

To Cipher's point: may want to start with Sol. He seems sort of Laura-y based on what I've seen. Plus he is pretty baseline as far as GG goes.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

That sound like either Sol or Ky.

Also who do you play in other games, might help narrow it down.

I honestly play whoever I agree sol and ky are pretty straightforward in their game, pretty much shotos.  I was also considering pot since he's a grappler and I main Laura ( I know not a complete grappler) and always had haggar on my team in umvc3.

5 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Yeah the impression I always got from SFV was that it was a time and effort issue. I.e. they didn't have the time and didn't want to put in the effort (or couldn't). By and large any time they've gone under the hood to tweak the netcode for SFV they have always been minimal changes. 

For MvCI I think it was more the case that they took whatever lessons they had from SFV and applied them, and got it right on that try. Which is good because that game was fated to not get a second chance if they had fucked it up. ☠️

I think for SF6 we can and will see legit improvements to the netcode base. But it seems like if that was ever going to really happen for SFV that door has closed and they are in firm maintenance mode. I'd love for them to be wrong and drop a last minute legit upgrade in these final season updates. The more games that have functioning, robust online, the better.

It is more or less what i think happened too.

The game feels like is under maintenance mode, and only doing new development when really needed.

Maybe the upper side of capcom feels that the cost of improving the netcode is not worth when compared to any potential sales it could get, since most of the people asking for the improvement are enthusiasts and hardcore fans that are still playing the game.

10 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

It is more or less what i think happened too.

The game feels like is under maintenance mode, and only doing new development when really needed.

Maybe the upper side of capcom feels that the cost of improving the netcode is not worth when compared to any potential sales it could get, since most of the people asking for the improvement are enthusiasts and hardcore fans that are still playing the game.

Yeah I think that 2nd thing has been the MO for awhile now. Hardcore SF fans are gonna keep playing regardless, and although thankfully this iteration of SF ended up doing pretty well sales wise (so it doesn't go back in the closet) franchises like MH and RE are the things that bring in the big bucks so are going to get the lion's share of dev time/attention. 

In some ways the "kinda passable" nature of the SFV netcode hurt it the most I think. If it was straight fucked there would have been more of a stink earlier to fix it and maybe something would have happened. But it works just well enough just often enough that most players just grin and bear it. Sort of like if you have a car that is sort of a beater but mostly still works. 

Twitter sucks man... I’ve been having a shit day/week at work and made a random tweet about how I’m envious that Ted Cruz just closed his laptop lid and dipped to Mexico. This was mostly for a few laughs from the dozen or so people I commonly interact with....

like instantly, some random woman from Texas screamed to me about people dying.

like shit sucks, I get it, but fuck off... searching “Ted Cruz” on Twitter and screaming at strangers ain’t going to make you feel better

2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I get it, but fuck off... searching “Ted Cruz” on Twitter and screaming at strangers ain’t going to make you feel better

You gotta protect yo tweet homie. 

That's an option, right? Also, I narrowly escaped Texas before all this shit happened. Left my wife there. I'm cold blooded. 

Also, I pick her up from the airport in like 3 hours, and she's pretty salty. Chances of me playing strive any more this weekend is pretty much zero.

3 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

You gotta protect yo tweet homie. 

That's an option, right? Also, I narrowly escaped Texas before all this shit happened. Left my wife there. I'm cold blooded. 

Also, I pick her up from the airport in like 3 hours, and she's pretty salty. Chances of me playing strive any more this weekend is pretty much zero.

Yeah, you can protect your tweets but you have to protect you whole account and I don’t feel like doing that... just didn’t feel like arguing with randos today.

and hope your wife is okay... if you missed her on V-Day, some chocolates and flowers on the way may not be a bad idea

2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

if you missed her on V-Day, some chocolates and flowers on the way may not be a bad idea

Left her ass there on V-day, actually. 

SW only had one seat on the last flight out, I really needed to be at work on Tuesday and it was her sister we were visiting, so I took the ticket. I figured that things would get sorted by Tuesday, boy was I wrong. 

Edited by KingTubb
1 hour ago, Illwill88 said:

I honestly play whoever I agree sol and ky are pretty straightforward in their game, pretty much shotos.  I was also considering pot since he's a grappler and I main Laura ( I know not a complete grappler) and always had haggar on my team in umvc3.

I don’t normally like big bodies but Pot in Xrd is really fun. Nothing feels better than catching some air dashing twat out of the sky with heat extend or feeing like an execution god with a hammer fall break > scoop setup. It’s also hilarious when you beat people clearly better than you because you can kill in 2 touches lol. 

1 hour ago, Illwill88 said:

Strive actually ranks it's own characters on ease of play with a 5 star rating, visible in-game and on the website. Ky Sol and May are the 5-star raters.  Zato is the only one star. 

1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Strive actually ranks it's own characters on ease of play with a 5 star rating, visible in-game and on the website. Ky Sol and May are the 5-star raters.  Zato is the only one star. 

So more is easier? I’m in trouble Milia is 2 and Zato is 1 lol

Also I just checked the site and it said Sol was 4 stars, tho Ky is indeed 5. 

You'll definitely be fine with Milia. I think the only reason they have her flagged as difficult is because she's still built to run all her mixup stuff. A fresh out the gate player probably isn't going to pick up on that right away and may have a worse time with her as a result. I don't foresee you having many problems with that based on your experience.

Fuck puppet chars Zato should have 0 stars

I finally figured out how to get 500 damage with Cammy without a jump-in or a CC. 

I probably should have known this ages ago because this is an actual BnB involving the use of V-Trigger. 

Spoiler

.. I am noticing that a lot of characters that achieve that very same feat involves something that is annoyingly simple to do. 

And, you usually have to already *be* in V-Trigger state *before* using most of those combos for full resources to guarantee the kill. One of the noticeable exceptions are Chun-Li (because, she nets 500+ damage without CC/jump ins from her Kikosho aka her VTII. 

Logically, you still go for resets or specific set ups in order to stun the foe out or simply retain the advantage over the target. 

For the Cammy combo. To most people, this isn't impressive (because I don't play SFV as much as I probably should). 

This is just something I had to figure out. And... because of this realization, I am likely to drop Chun-Li altogether. 

The first few seconds of the video is just me toying around with hit confirms on block and on hit before doing the actual combo. 

Edited by GreatDarkHero
3 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Thats not even specific to Strive.

Chipp usually dies of 2 touches in any game, especially when he happens to run into Pots Fist.

Thats why I gave up on Chipp, he's probably my "best" character but he take damage like a bitch. One slip and the match over and keep in mind I'm not very good which makes it worse 😂

Edited by HD-Man