Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

Oh hey, sorry for responding late.

I'm applying to unis as some of you might know, but I'm only applying to two. I have a CV and qualifications, but these are the top 2 unis in the state for the subjects I want to pursue, so I'm not sure how much to expect from them. The application deadline is November 1st for the Early Action decisions. How can I know beforehand that I'll be accepted?

It's just undergraduate studies since I'm graduating from high school this year, so they're really insignificant, but the problem is that being accepted here would guarantee employment because of their feeder programs. As I type this, I'm realizing this job market is fucked up. Way to discriminate.

Anyway, assuming I can somehow even afford going to these places should I be admitted, I have no idea what to expect. American high school is so sleeper, and they complain here anyway. The students also complain about uni. Is it really all that much work? I can't imagine putting any effort into this education system. Seems so unlikely.

There are just a lot of uncertainties.

Advice/tips/assurances/feet pics are appreciated.

Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

How can I know beforehand that I'll be accepted?

You can't. Applying to Universities is a complete shit show, unfortunately. They trim a lot of fat by eliminating a bunch of applicants by ACT and SAT score, then after that it's all subjective. Grades really aren't a great rubric for picking a good student, and schools know this, but also know that a good student isn't going to be rocking a 3.0 or less in high school unless the school is widely known for it's difficulty, or if you're taking a lot of college classes (pretty sure that college classes have GPA concessions tho, cause you can definitely get over a 4.0 in high school) The best you can do it write a good cover letter and get good letters of recommendation. 

12 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

assuming I can somehow even afford going to these places should I be admitted

Well the good news is most people can't. Say hello to student loans. I always recommend attending a state school and avoiding small private schools cause they're ridiculously expensive. At the end of the day, you gotta do what makes you happy tho. 

14 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

it really all that much work?

Not really, it is considerably more work than high school tho, especially public high school. You'll have to know how to study, read efficiently, and take tests and complete projects. A lot of American High Schools will give you a degree if you just show up, complete your homework and in class assignments. The margin for error in college is a lot less.

I would say it's more tedious than high school, and concepts will be more complex, but you can navigate OS parrying and kara cancel DPs into super and shit and when it's the right time to use them, so you're pretty bright.

Overall, you probably won't be able to get by or even excel just by being smart like a lot of people do in high school. You'll most likely have to actually put in time and study, which causes a lot of "high achieving" high school students to drop out of college or switch to a "easier" major. 

What are you planning to go to school for?  

12 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

ACT

Got a 28, which is high to average in the unis I'm applying to. Don't know what that's worth, if anything. I got straight As in my IGCSEs, which make the final exams here look like homework, but that's a 3 year course vs 1 year, so again, not comparable.

13 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

good letters of recommendation. 

I've asked about 13 (maybe 14, depending on her answer on Wednesday), to write me recommendations, and they are all glowing... but so is every other student's... That's just how they are.

14 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

rocking a 3.0

Currently at 3.77 and working to a 4.0 overall. In senior year, I have a 4.0, but overall unweighted is 3.77.

15 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Say hello to student loans.

I can't. I literally cannot take student loans. I'm not allowed. I'm banking on the fact that I might receive a scholarship or two. After all this shit I think I deserve that much, but I think that because it's something I'm hopeful for I won't get it. That's how these things usually work out. One of them is University of Minnesota, so public, and one is private. Both come out to about the same - a $600 difference if I recall correctly.

17 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Not really, it is considerably more work than high school tho, especially public high school. You'll have to know how to study, read efficiently, and take tests and complete projects. A lot of American High Schools will give you a degree if you just show up, complete your homework and in class assignments. The margin for error in college is a lot less.

So it's just high school, got it.

Planning to go to school to study law. Unfortunately, you need some undergrad degree to get into law school... even though law school has no pre-requisite courses. Seems legit. Corporate law is where the money is, so that's where I want to go.

3 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

University of Minnesota

Go Gophers! A 28 should be enough to get you in there. And you're GPA looks high enough to me. Having that many letters is wild, so you're doing great. I'm sure that they'd be happy to have you. 

The student loans thing sucks. College is outrageous, so not being able to get financial aid is going to make things hard. Going to an annex campus or spreading it out over 6 years so you can work while you're going to school is an option. 

7 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

So it's just high school, got it.

Na homie. It's a whole new ball game.

You gotta remember that it isn't just a change in academic environment, but you're entire environment. Even if you're living at home, they way that classes are conducted, how responsible you are for yourself, and what is expected of you is completely different. And if you go to Minnesota, you're going to be one of 10's of thousands of students. There's no truant officers or teachers that will give a single shit if you're in class. No one will give you any concession like they do in high school. You'd be surprised the amount of people in and around school who are just trying to get you a degree by any means necessary. They give no fucks if you graduate in college. If you can't handle it, they'll take your money and slap you on your ass as they push you out the door. 

You're a really smart kid, and I have no doubts you'll do great in college, but I don't want you going into school thinking its going to be the cakewalk that American high school is. 

4 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Go Gophers! A 28 should be enough to get you in there. And you're GPA looks high enough to me. Having that many letters is wild, so you're doing great. I'm sure that they'd be happy to have you. 

The student loans thing sucks. College is outrageous, so not being able to get financial aid is going to make things hard. Going to an annex campus or spreading it out over 6 years so you can work while you're going to school is an option. 

Na homie. It's a whole new ball game.

You gotta remember that it isn't just a change in academic environment, but you're entire environment. Even if you're living at home, they way that classes are conducted, how responsible you are for yourself, and what is expected of you is completely different. And if you go to Minnesota, you're going to be one of 10's of thousands of students. There's no truant officers or teachers that will give a single shit if you're in class. No one will give you any concession like they do in high school. You'd be surprised the amount of people in and around school who are just trying to get you a degree by any means necessary. They give no fucks if you graduate in college. If you can't handle it, they'll take your money and slap you on your ass as they push you out the door. 

You're a really smart kid, and I have no doubts you'll do great in college, but I don't want you going into school thinking its going to be the cakewalk that American high school is. 

Oh wow. This just sounds like work back home. All nighters and roughness are pretty common in a boys' school, so I hope it'll be a nice return to form. I'm retaking the ACT on Feb 6th, so I'll aim for a 31-35. In actuality, I just gave the ACT cold and didn't study because at the time I didn't know what it was. This time I'll try and set an hour the night before to study and see if I can raise it a little. The one thing I'm looking forward to is maybe getting an iPad and Apple Pencil for note taking and drawing. And a car, but who cares about that? I'll just get my degree and fuck right off.

1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

They give you that with you're tuition, right? I know they do that here. 

Seriously? I thought I had to buy that... My high school gave me a Macbook, which is what I'm typing this on instead of focusing in architecture class...

Good news for me if true!

2 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

We care man! You're our homie

adventure time advice GIF

tenor.gif

@DayaanSorry I haven't contributed much. At work and busy. I'll chime in with this. The class time vs. homework ratio is flipped in college. High School has in you in class 6 hours a day with 1-2 hours of homework. In college, depending on how you set up your schedule, you may only be in class 3 hours or less a day, if that. I was only on class on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. However you'll have 1-2 hours of home work per class. That is the hardest adjustment about college. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem

My only advice about college is:

1. Don’t pigeonhole yourself too early. The reality is basically no one coming out high school knows what they want to do, so don’t start digging to early. 

2. don’t be afraid to switch majors if you hate it or just aren’t cut out for it. Pride can cause you a lot of long term problems.

3. Difficulty is going to be based entirely on what major you pick and how well you handle it.

4. don’t be afraid of student loans. I know you said you have some complications but really, the terms are very good... just be agressive about paying them off when you get done. Otherwise they fester like credit card debt with people barely making interest payments.

5. Also I gather from your posts that you are black/brown/minority ? If so with your grades (and law school intention) you should definitely be able to find some scholarship money. So take anything you can get.

Edited by FlyingVe
6 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

don’t be afraid of student loans. I know you said you have some complications

I might be way off, but I think he's a foreign national (UAE/Pakistan, right spin?) so he might actually be legally tied down regarding financial aid and loans. I don't really know about any of that tho 

1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

I might be way off, but I think he's a foreign national (UAE/Pakistan, right spin?) so he might actually be legally tied down regarding financial aid and loans. I don't really know about any of that tho 

I don’t either, but I work with lots of Japanese/Chinese students and they definitely can get loans of some kind.

II’d bet there’s some kind of program through lenders in this country?

though in obviously don’t know for sure.

38 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

This is mildly off topic but E.Honda is wrecking Dhalsim reeeeeal hard in that gif. 

The Street Fighter II Film adaptation didn't fuck around.

1 hour ago, FlyingVe said:

Also I gather from your posts that you are black/brown/minority ? If so with your grades (and law school intention) you should definitely be able to find some scholarship money. So take anything you can get.

I'll do my best. I have a 4.0 as far as American high school goes, but IGCSEs are way, way harder, and I passed those with fine grades, so those should hold more value. According to these schools, I have to be listed under "Asian," so I'm gonna use some of that Asian Persuasion. 

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

I'll do my best. I have a 4.0 as far as American high school goes, but IGCSEs are way, way harder, and I passed those with fine grades, so those should hold more value. According to these schools, I have to be listed under "Asian," so I'm gonna use some of that Asian Persuasion. 

So... I might avoid that particular minority.

It varies by school and program but, white and asian are not so helpful.

That said, don't lie. Lying only digs a hole.

Edited by FlyingVe
2 hours ago, Dayaan said:

Aren't you from Pakistan? You really wouldn't be lying. Pakistan is located in Asia. Their is a misconception in the US about all Asians looking southeast Asian.

12 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Watching Bonchan makes me want to play Sagat, but I just don't have the fireball game to make it work.

Highland/TotalSagat has some great videos that explain his fireball game a bit. I annoyed the Ken by throwing two or three fireballs in a clear rhythm and then ducking afterwards in the same rhythm (faking the start of a fireball motion), and then DP’ing him when he jumped. You just can’t autopilot it, and you have to be a lot more random at round start ranges where there’s more time to react and land a jump in.

not that i’m any good lol; I always get frustrated and drop him for someone quicker, but Sagat is my favourite character in V.

Edited by Mattatsu
41 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Highland/TotalSagat has some great videos that explain his fireball game a bit. I annoyed the Ken by throwing two or three fireballs in a clear rhythm and then ducking afterwards in the same rhythm (faking the start of a fireball motion), and then DP’ing him when he jumped. You just can’t autopilot it, and you have to be a lot more random at round start ranges where there’s more time to react and land a jump in.

not that i’m any good lol; I always get frustrated and drop him for someone quicker, but Sagat is my favourite character in V.

I was messing around with Sagat yesterday and I think he’s really cool...just not for me lol. I’ve noticed I really enjoy doing long/cool looking combos and his are kinda basic. For better or worse I like being flashy lol.

That is one thing I really like about Nash. Teleport, Stealth Dash, and VS2 let him freestyle a tiny bit. He can definitely get down to 10% scaling with either VT and it’s lowkey frustrating 🤣

Edited by Vhozite
10 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Decided to play Sagat in SFV for a bit, and made a jumpy Ken ragequit at the end of the first round on our second fight. That made my day.

Glad you had fun playing Sagat. Always feels good when you can outplay someone to where they literally lose it. Especially with zoning in this game.

I had something set aside for this moment though.....where the hell did I put it.....aha!

On 10/17/2020 at 11:01 AM, Mattatsu said:

I can get there with Chun too. I just need to put work in and stop being a bitch.

🙃

38 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Glad you had fun playing Sagat. Always feels good when you can outplay someone to where they literally lose it. Especially with zoning in this game.

I had something set aside for this moment though.....where the hell did I put it.....aha!

🤣 yeah, i deserve that, lol. My issue is that at the end of the day, i want to get good, and i can get really frustrated when i lose. I love playing Sagat, but it’s a struggle. Chun does feel like the best character for me (especially now that i can do her BNB reliably, not sure what changed), as she’s fast, has good pokes, some dirt, and pretty much plays exactly how i want her too, which has been hard for me to find in this game. The change to her HK Legs causing a knockdown helped a lot with my old issues with her too.

But then i watch a sagat clip and i lose any desire to just do well with anyone else, and only want to do well with the King.

Also, SFV chun allows me to play how i normally play (such as how I play MK11, 3S, etc), but Sagat in SFV feels like a unique experience. A real uphill battle that will test my fundamentals, which makes SFV a unique experience from MK11, 3S, etc.

edit: so yeah, a bunch of excuses as to why i flip mains so much, lol. I do think SFV is fairly unique in this case though. I don’t stray too far from my mains in the other games mentioned.

Edited by Mattatsu
17 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

and only want to do well with the King.

Maaaaaan I have this dilemma in every fighting game. There's the character I want to play, and the one that actually works. 

Seriously, the only reason I like 3S is because I can win a game or two with Chun because she's so incredibly top tier and she's still a cool character.

Deep down, tho, I really wish I could win with Hugo😭 

This is why every game needs Honda. To make my life easier

Also @DayaanI saw your college post the other day and wanted to add another $0.02 to the pile. Late due to being easily distracted this weekend. Getting officially older does that.

You seem like you have your shit together so I wouldn't worry over much about the actual effort of college itself. In my experience college is mostly about - and most valuable - in that it mimics life in these ways: no one is going to bail you out or push you to do things you need to do, and a lot of it is learning about how to deal with people.

The people I've known who have had the most issues with college are the folks who were the least likely to self-motivate or focus. The college gets paid regardless of if you actually do the work or not, so unless you get a prof that is really invested you are probably going to be mostly left to your own work ethic. That can be a blessing or a curse, depending on how you operate.

Likewise, college is probably the first time you really get to experience the phenomenon of how much the person asking for the work makes a difference with how you approach the work. Understanding your professors and what they want out of you can make a big difference in how good or bad a time you have in a given course. There is still some objectivity to the work itself but the better you get a read on what your prof wants the easier of a time in general you will have. Part of that is you will feel confident about how the work you are producing will likely be evaluated, and part of it is also you'll be able to gauge just how much work needs to go into any given class.

The actual work itself in college can be specifically difficult but very broadly it mostly comes down to how badly you want it and how good you are at managing yourself. If you say focused, read the room, and pace yourself you'll do just fine.

21 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

edit: so yeah, a bunch of excuses as to why i flip mains so much, lol. I do think SFV is fairly unique in this case though. I don’t stray too far from my mains in the other games mentioned.

Had to break balls a bit. Took me more effort to dig back for that quote than it was probably worth. 😁

Its definitely an SF5 thing. Remember how much Akhos would bounce around chars? That wasn't necessarily uncertainty; outside of a rare few characters in this game most characters feel like they're missing something. It is really easy to "grass is greener" yourself in this game. "The character I'm playing now doesn't have X, but this char does. Lemme play them. Ah shit, this new char doesn't do Y for shit. Well that 3rd character does Y well.....fuck they suck at Z." Due to the jacked up engine and design ethos of this game you're gonna run into character gaps, and usually not in a "fun" way.

For a lot of chars in this game you just have to settle. Much like other things in life, find the char/chars where the good outweighs the bad then just roll with it. Finding that "perfect" char in this game just feels like chasing your own tail.