Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

18 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Dude, the netcode barometer is fucking useless lol. You can't judge connections by that thing at all. It'll say 5 bars and then as soon as you ready up it'll drop to 2

Oh yeah for sure. I meant can’t you skip the intro and win animations yourself?

27 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

I mean, have you tried getting out of Silver? You probably wouldn't be confused if so. 

I only played this trash game consistently until S2. I got to Ultra Plat and didn't touch the game again until Blanka was released. I labbed him a bit, realized the game was still trash and haven't played since.

8 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Anti airs in SFV are trash and don't do enough damage or give enough advantage. 

The game incentivizes jumping so much. You can eat 5 AAs and get the life lead back with one successful jump in. It's wack.  

I like when I'm in the zone with Kolin. Between her AA Frost Touch, Cr.Hp, and Air Throw, I can stop people from jumping. Or they can keep jumping and get bodied. Unfortunately I have old man reactions 90% of time. 😑

24 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I like when I'm in the zone with Kolin. Between her AA Frost Touch, Cr.Hp, and Air Throw, I can stop people from jumping. Or they can keep jumping and get bodied. Unfortunately I have old man reactions 90% of time. 😑

Is Frost touch the counter? I jump at you constantly because you never use it. 

Random thought, it’s funny to me how awesome of a job Disney did with Marvel compared to what they did to Star Wars. I don’t mind the new trilogy, but I don’t care about SW too much and just treat them as entertaining movies to watch... they did mess with the lore and characterization a bit, which is the funny thing because the Marvel films are great in that regard.

the only lore issue I have with Marvel is how Captain Marvel got her powers. In the comics she got various sources of powers over time that totalled up to give her the powers she has now... Now, I get not going through that progression in a single movie and loosely combining the different power sources into one event to give her those powers at once (and again, I think they did a good job with that alone). But, because she got the powers in one go, it kinda fucked them from allowing Rogue to take her powers (reclaiming her 90’s self), unless you also get Rogue shooting proton blasts and shit like that... Unless they try some, Rogue can’t handle all that power, or only held on long enough to absorb some of it, which is all BS.... Anyways....

[/Geek rant]

edit:

[Geek rant 2]
i do think Captain Marvel is too OP though. She’s nearly at Superman levels without the message of hope. 

I wouldn’t mind if Marvel downgrades her to just super strength and flight, and allow Rogue to scoop that shit up, then knock the bitch into a coma 🤣

[/Geek rant 2]

Edited by Mattatsu
19 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Random thought, it’s funny to me how awesome of a job Disney did with Marvel compared to what they did to Star Wars. I don’t mind the new trilogy, but I don’t care about SW too much and just treat them as entertaining movies to watch... they did mess with the lore and characterization a bit, which is the funny thing because the Marvel films are great in that regard.

Pretty sure Star Wars “suffered” from having different directors and a total lack of gameplan at the beginning. 

MCU was 20 movies meticulously detailed over a decade to become what they were today. It started with an out of the park Iron Man movie at a time when iirc Marvel was on the decline outside of Spider-Man movies. They had to get it right. 

Meanwhile Star Wars always prints money no matter the quality of the production (see the PT) and has been the most popular Sci-fi universe since its inception. Disney shoveled out the ST in like 3 years without a cohesive vision.

1 minute ago, Vhozite said:

Pretty sure Star Wars “suffered” from having different directors and a total lack of gameplan at the beginning. 

MCU was 20 movies meticulously detailed over a decade to become what they were today. It started with an out of the park Iron Man movie at a time when iirc Marvel was on the decline outside of Spider-Man movies. They had to get it right. 

Meanwhile Star Wars always prints money no matter the quality of the production (see the PT) and has been the most popular Sci-fi universe since its inception. Disney shoveled out the ST in like 3 years without a cohesive vision.

That’s a very good point. Marvel was facing bankruptcy (and is why they sold the X-Men and Spider-Man rights). Iron Man was a dope movie, and they did a great job of setting up multi-movie and multi-year arcs (though it seems clear that was a lead up to the infinite saga and they didn’t think much past that, but the x-men should give them a similar arc once they get going).

star wars, yeah, it was a mess. I’m really surprised they let the second film out the door tbh. I actually didn’t mind it when I first saw it (I was like F it, they’re going in a new direction and it doesn’t harm me so let’s see where it goes,), but when they spent the whole 3rd movie correcting it, it’s like yeah, they fucked up huge

6 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Hating on Poe and Finn like that.

SMH

Finn had the chance to be the most engaging character in modern Star Wars and they just turned him into a generic main character.

Edit: I really wanted to like Finn too. He’s black and NOT Lando, which is 2 good marks in my book. But I cannot ignore his dogshit characterization 

iirc Poe is barely even a character in that movie

Edited by Vhozite

Just because Disney had good financial reasons to shit on his character doesn’t mean I’m gonna be ok with them shitting on his character.

Also I don’t believe for a second most of my issues with Finn aren’t just bad writing. China is just a convenient scapegoat.

Even if it is all China money, they can get in line right behind Disney to suck my dick. 

Edited by Vhozite

Star Wars should have stuck with the original 3 movies and then all the EU stuff (books, comics, etc.,) Seemed like it was more fun then. Not that I'm any kind of Star Wars fan anyways.

@M A R T I A NI never made it too far in SF5's ranked (tapped out at Super Gold) but that is how the game be a lot of the time. I hear you on the experience; that is one of the things that keeps me from rolling the rando dice again.

DevilJin on the old forums used to talk about the difference in mentality that playing short sets leads to, which is why 95% of online players in a given bracket play so similarly (and have maybe been there forever). They're going with what has worked so far and they're gonna keep turning the crank until they either win or die (50/50 when they die that they'll RQ).

Part of it is just playing enough to be able to classify the different archetypes that players fall into. That helps a lot with being able to make decent reads on player tendencies in a format where you aren't likely to get much data.

And yeah SF5 isn't a game you are really going to win on the defense. The ratio of good decisions you have to make vs mistakes you are allowed to get away with is not favorable to that play style, though at lower levels sometimes you get some more wiggle room (I feel like SF5 is actually harder in than some games in this way because doing optimal or near optimal damage is surprisingly accessible right out of the gate). You need to know when to turn the pressure on, how to do it effectively, and how anticipate opponent reactions.

Replays will definitely help identify specifics. Plenty of people here who can provide helpful feedback.

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

Part of it is just playing enough to be able to classify the different archetypes that players fall into. That helps a lot with being able to make decent reads on player tendencies in a format where you aren't likely to get much data.

Yeah this is a pretty important thing. The other day I was fighting this Bison that was all gimmicks. Every stock burned immediately on EX Blast, lots of raw DR, full screen VS2, etc. No “fundamentals” to speak of. 

The thing is that I was losing to it because:

1.  I didn’t expect him to keep being dumb (lol)

2. I was letting him run his game while waiting for him to hang himself. Everything Bison does it safe, plus, or a spacing trap tho...so i was waiting a long ass time and getting rolled. 

I was at the last round about to get 2-0’ed thinking to myself the classic “how am I losing to this guy...he’s flowchart trash”. At some point tho i realized I was playing right into his strategy and I changed tactics. Got way more aggressive and in his face...not even trying to rush him down but just throw him off balance by setting the pace. 

Not only did it work, this guy absolutely crumbled. Dude had zero fundamentals and it showed. No defense, shit footsies, and absolutely no ability to make adjustments. Won the set and the next ones after so decisively he started denying runbacks lol. The funny thing is that every time I saw him he had more points.  

A lot of people online are like that. Not playing the exact same way necessarily, but they have their one flowchart strategy that they either can’t or won’t deviate from too much. They’re playing their character and running their game while not really paying attention to you. 

I can most definitely guarantee that trying to work on my defense against lower ranks was always a fool's errand. These people do not play rationally enough and nor is the netcode stable enough for things like footsies and proper AAs.

Monkeys only understand power. @M A R T I A N  So work on some oppressive offense and you'll be out of Silver soon enough. Gotta hit them meaties son!

iaGg4X.gif

Or maybe not. You really shouldn't take advice from someone who can't make it out of Rookie. 🤣

In other news...

Interesting. Place your bets everyone, Did Mike Z convince ArcSys he was innocent or did ArcSys pull some smoke and mirrors while letting him work anyway because they don't know jack about netcode?

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

It amazes me how everyone, but the powers that be, saw the potential in Finn.

I don’t hate the new trilogy (except rise of sky walker)

however, I am squarely in the camp that the new trilogy lacked a sense of direction/planning. And that leaving it up to the directors was not a good plan.

Finn was my favorite character in Ep7. He was the anti-Han-solo. Where he was wholly in over his head and not wholly competent, plus the ex-storm trooper angle. A different take on the “rouge” party member.

my theory, as with many things having now seen the whole trilogy, is that J.J. either didn’t have a plan for many characters... or the plan was supremely stupid. This led to Rian making the decision to jettison many arcs to focus on ones that were better. EG-  Snoke got jettisoned in TLJ, and Finn got massively re-written... and then jettison RoSE. (Again this is coming from someone that likes the new movies).

Edited by FlyingVe
8 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

A lot of people online are like that. Not playing the exact same way necessarily, but they have their one flowchart strategy that they either can’t or won’t deviate from too much. They’re playing their character and running their game while not really paying attention to you. 

This is a key point. 

When I was trying to figure out how to get better, a lot of the advice I kept coming across was about actually paying attention to your opponent and not just flowcharting/assuming everything. They do this for a lot of reasons (Bison in SFV is the kind of char I could start a new account with and have my cat just roll around on the hitbox during matches and probably make it to Gold) but for the most part these kinds of players aren't going to change.

Which can be fine. Not everyone is playing to be the next CFN phenom (concept not the player). But that approach to the game is hyper limiting and honestly a lot less fun than really engaging. The absolute most fun I've ever had in FGs is when you feel the push and pull of each of you adjusting on the fly. It was one of the things that made playing against Akhos such a good time even though I'd end an evening 2 - 40 and want to die.

Cold hard reality is though that most folks just want to play their fight games on the internet and are gonna do what they are gonna do. Playing around that is gonna be a component to any game. One of the reasons randos can get a little exhausting.

58 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

This is a key point. 

When I was trying to figure out how to get better, a lot of the advice I kept coming across was about actually paying attention to your opponent and not just flowcharting/assuming everything. They do this for a lot of reasons (Bison in SFV is the kind of char I could start a new account with and have my cat just roll around on the hitbox during matches and probably make it to Gold) but for the most part these kinds of players aren't going to change.

Which can be fine. Not everyone is playing to be the next CFN phenom (concept not the player). But that approach to the game is hyper limiting and honestly a lot less fun than really engaging. The absolute most fun I've ever had in FGs is when you feel the push and pull of each of you adjusting on the fly. It was one of the things that made playing against Akhos such a good time even though I'd end an evening 2 - 40 and want to die.

Cold hard reality is though that most folks just want to play their fight games on the internet and are gonna do what they are gonna do. Playing around that is gonna be a component to any game. One of the reasons randos can get a little exhausting.

Related to this:

A piece of advice I received from LordKnight a long time ago (that I don’t always do).

”where are you looking on the screen during a match. Too many players are watching their own character, why, you know know what your character is doing. Keep your eyes on your opponents character, so you can react to what they are doing.”

Edited by FlyingVe

That is another big one ya. 

Some of the most useful advice I came across in my studying was stuff talking about how to watch a game (SFV specifically but the ideas transfer around). Years of playing other kinds of games trains us to look at our chars but there is so much else going on in FGs that it pays to train screen awareness.

Watching your opponent, keeping your eye on meters, being mindful of the round timer and relative life. Takes time to just get used to doing that during a match and it makes a significant difference. Also kind of helps with adapting to your opponent because you are already looking at them so you kind of can't help but notice what they're doing.

3 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

I don’t hate the new trilogy (except rise of sky walker)

however, I am squarely in the camp that the new trilogy lacked a sense of direction/planning. And that leaving it up to the directors was not a good plan.

Finn was my favorite character in Ep7. He was the anti-Han-solo. Where he was wholly in over his head and not wholly competent, plus the ex-storm trooper angle. A different take on the “rouge” party member.

The ex-stormtrooper thing is my biggest grievance with him. It’s a cool backstory that could really differentiate him from other characters as well as put a “face” to the people on the other side as anything other than generic planet killing bad guys. 

Spoilered for bchan

Spoiler

But no, his past is never explored or used for anything other than making him a convenient map for Starkiller base. Finn’s issues with killing/violence disappear basically immediately after liberation, and he goes on to kill plenty of his former brothers in arms without a second thought despite them being child soldiers. They even flirt with addressing the conflict when he’s confronted by TR-8R, but then he’s killed like everyone else and that’s it. 

Finn being a former stormtrooper should mean something.  Stormtroopers continue to be dehumanized into faceless fodder killed in droves for laughs and spectacle despite a main character being proof that they are, in fact, people. Yet nobody gives a flying fuck. 

16 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

Keep your eyes on your opponents character, so you can react to what they are doing.”

Funny enough the first time I heard this advice was for basketball. Don’t watch the ball...watch the other guy. Ball watching is a great way to get burned on defense.

Never thought specifically to apply it to SF, but it’s one of those things I slowly learned to do because my only goal is to blow up mistakes.

Edited by Vhozite
1 hour ago, FlyingVe said:

Related to this:

A piece of advice I received from LordKnight a long time ago (that I don’t always do).

”where are you looking on the screen during a match. Too many players are watching their own character, why, you know know what your character is doing. Keep your eyes on your opponents character, so you can react to what they are doing.”

It amazes me how many players do this. 

Is one of the things that i always tell newcomers to not do. 

To keep their eyes on the opponent and occasionally check on both their own resourcws and their opponents resources, but to try to get the sense of timing on when their resources are ready to use. 

3 hours ago, Sonero said:

3 frames and doesn't have CC state.

Because it doesn't have real invul. Or any, tbh. Only on EX. (That one does have the CC state tho.)

Couple of airborne frames from 5f onwards and that's it. This is why it doesn't have CC state, you can just slap her out of it. (Theoretically. Still got the whole priority business, but I don't remember how that works for specials vs. normals.)

Edited by Volt
4 hours ago, Sonero said:

You can regular DP out of lot of stuff without them being invincible. Ibuki's DP is cheap AF because of it: 3 frames and doesn't have CC state. You can use it to trade out of pressure except you end up standing and they get knocked down.

CHEAP.

People forget that a 3 frame special will blow up a shit ton of stuff in SFV.