Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

3 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Anyone found a way to deal with Blanka's VT2? I find it just as scary as G's trigger but it isn't complained about as much - so I feel like I might be missing something...

Gonna be honest I know less than nothing about Blanka, but I can try labbing him up a bit tonight if you like. 

I assume you use Karin?

Anyone up for games?  I'll play almost anything.

1 hour ago, TheDarkPhoenix said:

Anyway to turn off this animated background?

Some themes are not animated.  You can access themes from the Stage Select at the bottom of the page.  

Most of them are animated since people seem to like that.  If people feel like there should be more themes with a static background I can make some.

58 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Gonna be honest I know less than nothing about Blanka, but I can try labbing him up a bit tonight if you like. 

I assume you use Karin?

I use Karin and Cody.  

36 minutes ago, Sonero said:

He is negative on the rolls that make him land. You akso dont get crossed up if you crouch block IIRC.

Who are you playing?

He definitely feels plus after landing from a blocked roll.  It feels like Ed's psycho snatch where he has frame advantage and it gets a mixup from point blank either strike or throw.  Also, he can ex. reversal at any point out of the rolls.  

I like shoto style gameplay but I keep finding myself in a never ending loop about why I don’t like one or the other. Usually it’s starts with Kage.

Kage: I like this characters flashy combos but I hate his neutral/Dan fb

goes to Ken...

Ken: I like this characters flashy combos, but I keep trying to play him like Ryu

goes to Ryu...

Ryu: Christ this character is ass

goes to Akuma...

Akuma: man this characters has everything...but this is boring 

goes to Kage...

I feel like my feelings on Akuma are unjustified, but that character cannot hold my interest for some reason. Like I said he has all you could want, but I don’t enjoy looking at him or anything he does.

40 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I like shoto style gameplay but I keep finding myself in a never ending loop about why I don’t like one or the other. Usually it’s starts with Kage.

goes to Ken...

Ken: I like this characters flashy combos, but I keep trying to play him like Ryu

goes to Ryu...

goes to Akuma...

goes to Kage...

I feel like my feelings on Akuma are unjustified, but that character cannot hold my interest for some reason. Like I said he has all you could want, but I don’t enjoy looking at him or anything he does.

I've seen you despair over what character to use for a little bit now. Really the answer to your problems is to just pick  a character you think is cool and stick with them.

You worry about what characters are good but I don't think at your level a character's flaws/strengths really matter much.  Switching characters a lot when you don't quite have a handle on a game's fundamentals will make things unnecessarily difficult.  You're much better off getting really proficient with a character you like and really learning the game while using them. Jumping between characters while you're still trying to improve at a basic level doesn't really help.

Stop worrying about what character you should play/is the best and just play the one that makes you happy!

7 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I've seen you despair over what character to use for a little bit now. Really the answer to your problems is to just pick  a character you think is cool and stick with them.

You worry about what characters are good but I don't think at your level a character's flaws/strengths really matter much.  Switching characters a lot when you don't quite have a handle on things will make things unnecessarily difficult.  You'll be much better off getting really proficient with a character you like and really learning the game. Jumping between characters while you're still trying to improve at a basic level doesn't really help you any.

Stop worrying about what character you should play/is the best and just play the one that makes you happy!

Pretty sure that's Nash for him.

I know people that are in constant character crisis.  But more often than not it's not a real crisis.  They just get bored and want to play around with a new character and that's what they find fun about fighting games.  But if the goal is to get gud, you gotta stick to one or two characters and keep grinding.  

30 minutes ago, misterBee said:

You worry about what characters are good but I don't think at your level a character's flaws/strengths really matter much.  

I think you’re misunderstanding why I care about how good or bad characters are. In a complete vacuum I don’t actually care how good or bad characters are...but in practice bad characters are not fun to play. My favorite character is Vega and I was perfectly capable with him but even when you win playing him was not fun because of his numerous weaknesses. 

It’s not fun dominating a character for 80% of the match then losing to one knockdown or VTC because you have no defensive options. It’s not fun watching your poke animations whiff through a character model then you see the other guy whiff punish that same ghost hitbox animation. It’s not fun getting jumped on constantly because because all your AA’s are slow/situational. Etc

I could continue. I like Vega’s design, but his weaknesses making playing him stressful or unfun. I didn’t stop playing after arbitrarily designating him low tier. It’s the same thing with Nash, Kage, or anyone else. The things that make them bad are why I don’t enjoy them. You’re making it sound like I hop characters because senpai Daigo/Bonchan/Punk tell me who to play when that is not the case and I’ve said as much multiple times, including in this very thread.

Also, with all due respect, you have literally no idea how good or bad I am at this game. I’m not Justin Wong but this is not GG where I basically know nothing about anything. 

Edit: HC also makes a really good point that I forgot to touch on...most SFV characters are boring. I haven’t played a single character in this game that I didn’t get bored of eventually. I don’t like SFV enough to get gud anymore. I’m just fooling around looking for characters I enjoy in a series i generally enjoy.

Edited by Vhozite
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

goes to Ken...

goes to Ryu...

goes to Akuma...

goes to Kage...

The answer is Sakura.   😏

45 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I think you’re misunderstanding why I care about how good or bad characters are. In a complete vacuum I don’t actually care how good or bad characters are...but in practice bad characters are not fun to play. My favorite character is Vega and I was perfectly capable with him but even when you win playing him was not fun because of his numerous weaknesses. 

It’s not fun dominating a character for 80% of the match then losing to one knockdown or VTC because you have no defensive options. It’s not fun watching your poke animations whiff through a character model then you see the other guy whiff punish that same ghost hitbox animation. It’s not fun getting jumped on constantly because because all your AA’s are slow/situational. Etc

I could continue. I like Vega’s design, but his weaknesses making playing him stressful or unfun. I didn’t stop playing after arbitrarily designating him low tier. It’s the same thing with Nash, Kage, or anyone else. The things that make them bad are why I don’t enjoy them. You’re making it sound like I hop characters because senpai Daigo/Bonchan/Punk tell me who to play when that is not the case and I’ve said as much multiple times, including in this very thread.

Also, with all due respect, you have literally no idea how good or bad I am at this game. I’m not Justin Wong but this is not GG where I basically know nothing about anything. 

Edit: HC also makes a really good point that I forgot to touch on...most SFV characters are boring. I haven’t played a single character in this game that I didn’t get bored of eventually. I don’t like SFV enough to get gud anymore. I’m just fooling around looking for characters I enjoy in a series i generally enjoy.

I was under the impression you were a relatively new player -- sorry if that's not the case.

But if you really know what you're doing in the game and every character is boring to you/you don't really want to get good anymore, then maybe you're playing the wrong game?  It almost sounds like you just aren't having fun with SFV.

4 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

Anyone found a way to deal with Blanka's VT2? I find it just as scary as G's trigger but it isn't complained about as much - so I feel like I might be missing something...

My hand is starting to hurt, so I’m not gonna play much more, but a couple things

Most cancels into the VT ball are true blockstrings. So for example if Blanka does rolling attack xx VT on block, there isn’t any room to mash. The exception is vertical rolling attack. Canceling into the VT follow-up leaves a gap for every version that you can DP through. Be careful trying to DP it, since he can cancel backwards to safety while you go sky high and in a lot of cases it whiff completely. 

Another thing with up ball is that (and someone correct me if I’m wrong) cancels into VT from the light and medium version are prone to whiff if you just stay still, but VT from the heavy version will hit you (and can cross up). 

Most (all?) VT cancels from EX balls are plus oB. VT from every version of rainbow ball is plus. Light rolling attack into VT is plus, M is even, and H looks minus but safe. 

39 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I was under the impression you were a relatively new player -- sorry if that's not the case.

But if you really know what you're doing in the game and every character is boring to you/you don't really want to get good anymore, then maybe you're playing the wrong game?  It almost sounds like you just aren't having fun with SFV.

I have fun with the game in spurts, and I 100% enjoy playing people here on it. It’s just not a game where I’m looking to grind against 1000 online randoms a week to get to x rank or lab 2 hours a day to prep for EVO. I play mostly to beat people here, find the occasional tidbit of good info in the lab, and even now occasionally run a few sets against randoms. 

If it sounds like I’m not in love with the game...it’s because I’m not lol. But I also haven’t loved a FG since my first few months/year of SF4, and at this point I play video games chasing that high again. It sucks because I’m not too fond of that game anymore. I’ve tried other games (MK11, GGxrd, BBCF, Injustice 2, DBFZ, I could continue) but they don’t hold my attention more than SFV. Whether that’s because I legit don’t like them, I’m just a capcuck like Cipher says is up in the air, or there is some other reason depends on the game. In fact SFV doesn’t have me enamored either...I play other non-FGs more than it these days.

When another game comes along (FG or otherwise) that grabs my attention I’ll play it, but for now there isn’t much there giving me more enjoyment than SFV. It feels like it should be a low bar, but nothing has clicked so far.

Edited by Vhozite
4 hours ago, Sonero said:

I was checking some stuff out in training mode. Checked youtube to see if I could find vids on something I had a question on and saw this.

I'm gonna look at some character specific stuff but maybe this will help before I post.

Thanks dude! This was super helpful.  

This is the summary at the end of the video for those that don't want to watch the whole thing:

- If cannon lands in front, assume it is plus

- If you're a 3 frame character, take your turn after cannon switches sides

- If you're a 4 frame character, you have to guess if cannon switches sides

- Master the upball crossup block option select

- Wait out VT2 if Blanka has meter, learn ex upball punish

- Deny any and all activation if possible

11 hours ago, Vhozite said:

goes to Ken...

goes to Ryu...

goes to Akuma...

goes to Kage...

The answer is to stop with SFV and give Anime a go.

There Shotos are fun and they have more differences then "this one is red and this one is purple"

Also play Melty Blood, F-Aoko is literally Top Tier and got cool stuff to work around with and she got 5Boot.

7 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Is there other fighting games that are non-SF but had unconventional implementation of the Dizzy/Stun Mechanics?

I don't think dizzy was all that common outside of the very early SF2 copycats, but lots of games have featured attacks with stun or crumple mechanics.  Stuff that's more like crush counters than dizzy, but not usually as widespread available in the cast like CCs are in SFV.

Like Rikuo poison gas in Darkstalkers, Sub Zero ice in MK, or the smattering of moves with counter-hit crumple in SFxT.

I think a lot of us have done the Vhozite dance, both in terms of shuffling character and trying a bunch of games this generation. I know I have at least.

The thing with SF5 in my experience is that it is "close". Most good things in the game come with an asterisk, and there haven't been many games that can replicate the feel of a good SF game. So if you want that style of game it is probably what you're still going to come back to. And even with its jacked up netcode it has been more consistently playable than the delay based alternatives released this gen.

Even with how much this game can piss me off it is also the one that still has an itch for me. As more and more games come around with consistently good online its easier for me to push SF5 away but whenever I watch matches and see certain exchanges I want to hook up the hitbox and start fucking around again. Hopefully SF6 makes it easier for me to then translate that into actually enjoying playing the game more often.

4 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

image.png.5809f8bffef03526badd2018e1d66f37.png

This wasn't doing it for you?? 

I'm sure whatever producer's kid created that model was real proud of what he did, and good on his father for getting it put into the game.

Honestly the character models are just part of the problem. The UI in that game is fucking hideous and the character designs look like they were run through a "generic mobile game character" filter. The game smacks of quick and cheap, and the DLC chars mostly highlight that from what I remember (in that they look a lot better).

Which is all a huge goddamn waste because the netcode in that game is good (I had great experiences with the bit I played and people in general have had great things to say about it) and mechanically it had legs. If they had given that game time like they did with SF5 I legit think it could have turned a corner but instead they took it out back behind the shed. Probably because they could only afford to float one disaster of a FG launch and you can't let SF sink if you're Capcom.

But much like the phrase "You eat with your eyes", it is also true that "you Mahvel with your eyes". A big part of the appeal of those games is that they are a visual feast. I want an MvC game to make my eye's dick explode with how cool it looks. 

10 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

If they just made another MvC that looks like 3

I always thought that MvCi looked like 3 but without the thick outlines and stark shading. The actual models were pretty similar, if not exactly the same. The fact that MvCi came out a console generation later makes that pretty damning. 

ASW has really knocked the 2D fighter look out of the park with the "2D but actually 3D" look they have. Outside of actual sprites, I don't see how 2D fighters are ever going to look better than that 

30 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Honestly the character models are just part of the problem.

QFT...everyone memes about Chun-Li (Captain America was another really bad one imo) but every aesthetic and stylistic choice made by the devs seemed as bad as possible. 

The characters look like they were from a remaster of a  high end PS2 game. The UI looks straight ripped from a phone App Store. Even the sound design was terrible. You have to hear REALITY STONE! yelled by possibly the worst voice acting I’ve ever heard in a video game every time you use a corner stone mechanic. To this day it is the only game I’ve ever had to play on mute, just to preserve my sanity.

Also I’ll say it...I was not a fan of the gameplay. It wasn’t bad at all, but I really wasn’t a fan of the new character swapping system. It let you do a lot of free form stuff but at the end of the day I don’t like being forced to switch characters when I just want an assist. 

9 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Is there other fighting games that are non-SF but had unconventional implementation of the Dizzy/Stun Mechanics?

IIRC in World Heroes you'd get stunned if people attacked your weakpoint multiple times (it'd break a piece of cloth off and you'd be dizzy). 

Dizzy is probably one if the more contestable mechanics in FGs. You dont really get called a scrub if you dislike dizzy. Dont say nothing about other design decisions though. 👀

Edit: Guilty Gear has dizzy too, but I'll be darned if I know how it actually works.

Edited by Sonero