Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

Shang Chi was really good until the final act then it all kinda fell apart for me. It was 100% not needed and should have gone in an entirely different direction. 

the mid credits and post credits scenes were really great though. 

Seemed like a case of "we gotta spend this  CG money because reasons demand it".

Edited by OPTIMUS124
3 hours ago, iStu X said:

Shang Chi was really good until the final act then it all kinda fell apart for me. It was 100% not needed and should have gone in an entirely different direction. 

the mid credits and post credits scenes were really great though. 

Sorta reminds me of the first Wonder Woman. I liked Shang Chi but I agree on the final act. BTW I loved how they handed The Mandarin situation.

18 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

It gave me flashbacks of the Guy Pearce version of The Time Machine.

The biggest take away I had from it that wasn’t story-line related is they seemed to have given the episode the biggest budget so far. The animation was on an absolute different level in terms of choreography and effects than the previous episodes. 

Edited by iStu X
On 9/2/2021 at 1:39 PM, HD-Man said:

Yea, true. This one is just way more fucked up tho, that ending was awful in a good way

And was that 

Hide contents

Shuma Gorath? The same tentacle monster from episode 1?

Spoiler

Shuma-Gorath is a member of the species known as “The Many Angled Ones” before some retcons they lived in the space/bridge between multiverses after being banished from Earth. Now they reside in a dimension called the Cancerverse 

Shuma just happens to be the strongest one. That said, yeah, it was likely Shuma as he’s the most well known. 

What I’m personally wondering is Since Feige and the “What if” directors have said all the stories are canon to the MCU and since we know Shuma is showing up in Stange 2 I wonder if the What If’s are going to tie into Strange 2 in any way.

Mainly because Strange 2 is going to give us a deep dive into the multiverse to show us how bad Peter and Wanda fucked shit up for everyone lol. 

Shuma once ruled earth but he HAS to be summoned in order to come to earth now. Usually by mental or magic trickery (like when Ebony Maw hypnotized Strange into summoning Shuma in Hickmans avengers) . 

we’ve only seen his tentacles in What If but never his full form. so I’m curious. 

also, sorry for the long read. 😂

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

Venom 2 pushed....to October 1st 👀

I guess they want to have one weekend to make money before Bond tears open their bootyhole on Oct. 8th.

If Shang Chi , a relatively unknown character in mainstream, can do well, I'm sure Not time to die will do even better.

It's Craig's last film and its the first Bond film in SIX years (the longest gap between Bond films since 1989-1995 Licence to Kill to Goldeneye)

Watched Shang Chi, what a great movie. Perhaps a bit too long but very well done. Shang's mom gave me a woody ngl. I guess the part I didnt like was Kingsley's cameo(?), it was a bit funny the first 20 seconds then kinda unnecessary and shoehorned imo. All cause yknow, retcon stuff. The fights were tight. Why are eastern cultures so cool

Maya Phillips "I reviewed Shang-Chi and wanted to like it. However, I was unimpressed due to my personal ignorance and utter refusal to do any due diligence on Chinese culture." 👀

Snarky one liner aside, I sadly expect this level of ignorance from the press. She doesn't have to like the movie. However, as a journalist, she needs to have the decency to understand the subject matter. A black woman, a fellow minority, putting out such a review gives her no leg to stand on if someone says something ignorant on our culture. If you can't even do a bare minimum "Where are ninjas from?" search on Google. How am I supposed to take any reviews she makes seriously. Honestly, if I weren't at work, I'd type something similar as a Twitter response. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
22 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I don't know if they compress all the shit that apparently goes down in the Marvel Zombies comics, I'm gonna assume this isn't gonna be good

Don’t get me wrong, It’s not bad by any means. They scaled it down a lot in a lot of good ways, made it not as campy and the ending is arguably better. 

I just enjoyed the book better 

The book which ironically spun out of a Ultimate Fantastic Four story arc, is basically insane compared to the episode. That being said it was still a good episode.

Spoiler

Aside from dealing with zombies of super heroes who have enough intelligence to use their abilities to get 'food', T'Challa being fed piece by piece to a zombie/fallen hero and the ending implying cosmic escalation with a zombie Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet it doesn't really adapt the books which show the Zombie mindset, has another evil but easily one of the most brilliant of the Hank Pym variants, zombies vs Galactus and what comes after that. Which is just the first in several volumes of books. Including an Evil Dead  crossover.

I will say I wasn't a fan of the ending but for the most part it was a good episode.