Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

21 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Don't know if this applies to anyone here but Sony will stop TV and Movie rentals and purchases on the PS store in August.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/02/playstation-store-to-discontinue-movie-and-tv-purchases-and-rentals/

Edit: got too slow'd

Would wager this means they are either working on a movie/tv streaming platform to have out around that period. You don't give up a platform like they have for extra revenue unless you are being forced to do so or you have another service in the wings that you want to focus on.

And of the major companies that create movie/tv content Sony is the last one that hasn't tried their hand at creating or buying a streaming service to house their own goods.

Edited by Wellman

LMMFAO!!!

FFVII Remake is free on PS+ this month.

I might add it to my library just to own it and derive satisfaction from not playing it.

The meta of "owning" FFVII:R.

Dare I say... P-wning it?

As opposed to SFV. Which I refused to sully my cursor hovering over, much less clicking. Not even for free.

Edited by JHDK
on the fly riffing.
26 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

How is it pwning it if no one loses out?

Because it is still a win for me.

15 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I think he's losing out cause he's put thought and energy into hating a game he never plans on playing or owning 

You really ought to just go ahead and not try to think. You are not particularly adept at it.

With all the (lack of)  Info about the Bandai Namco Next thing that Bamco put a trademark on and the rumors being that is possible a Direct like event,; Do you think we will see them announce a new FG there?

Maybe a sequel to DBFZ, or perhaps a full Shonen Jump vs game?

Considering that the next gen just got started, and they seem to be  preparing an event to make announcements. it wiould be reasonable to think that maybe they will start the new gen fgs line up, or at least announce it.

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

With all the (lack of)  Info about the Bandai Namco Next thing that Bamco put a trademark on and the rumors being that is possible a Direct like event,; Do you think we will see them announce a new FG there?

Considering that the next gen just got started, and they seem to be  preparing an event to make announcements. it wiould be reasonable to think that maybe they will start the new gen fgs line up, or at least announce it.

40 minute direct of nothing but Arena Fighter shovel ware. 12 titles in total. All of them Naruto. 

Just now, iStu X said:

40 minute direct of nothing but Arena Fighter shovel ware. 12 titles in total. All of them Naruto. 

This nigga 🤣

But yeah, outside DBFZ, they seem happy with wasting great Ips in what amounts to shovelware.

I love My Hero Academia, One Punc Man, Naruto and Demon Slayer, but not way in hell i would buy another mindless Arena Fighter. (Although, i own Naruto Ultimate Storm 4, but i dont remember buying it)

The only Arena Fighter that i really liked was Kill La Kill, since it tried to offer a deep combat system.

6 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

This nigga 🤣

But yeah, outside DBFZ, they seem happy with wasting great Ips in what amounts to shovelware.

I love My Hero Academia, One Punc Man, Naruto and Demon Slayer, but not way in hell i would buy another mindless Arena Fighter. (Although, i own Naruto Ultimate Storm 4, but i dont remember buying it)

The only Arena Fighter that i really liked was Kill La Kill, since it tried to offer a deep combat system.

It’s not all bad. Pac-Man will be a preorder bonus but only for the digital editions

Edited by iStu X
13 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Feel DBFZ is just a tad too early.  If they announce it though?  GREAT!  but not expecting it.  Only reason I say that is because the latest season pass is not done yet so I'd imagine they don't want to remove attention from it.   UNLESS....they're going to do a kind of .5 up port/exclusive revision for new gen consoles.  Full game with all the season of characters so far for next gen, more mechanics, another round season of DLC.  I wouldn't want them to go that route personally but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I need them to FighterZ up a Shonen Jump game.  Think that would be either be amazing or the clash of ideas and identites without any real uniformity will end up with a Capcom Fighting Jam mess....either way I want it to happen.

21 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Not me.

Learn to read.

So are you spite downloading a game to not play it because you previously played it and it was bad, or because you think it’s hardly a game and it plays itself so it’s “meta” to not play it, or something about it being free...?

you’re right man, I’m going to give up thinking because this is too much for my peanut brain to understand 

10 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

So are you spite downloading a game to not play it because you previously played it and it was bad, or because you think it’s hardly a game and it plays itself so it’s “meta” to not play it, or something about it being free...?

you’re right man, I’m going to give up thinking because this is too much for my peanut brain to understand 

Yeah, no.

You're the MAGA magnitude normie who called me a woman beater merely for defending Sean Connery from completely unsubstantiated slander.

Your brain activity doesn't count as anything other than a baseless hypothetical, with lots of actual data weighing heavily against it.

You cannot give up that which you never began. Now stop slandering thought by associating it with yourself. It is a bad look, and thought deserves better.

You can keep on mouth-breathing your me-too passive aggression at me, though.

I cannot smell your stank breath through the internet, so I think you're almost cute, in a nutless 2 month old kitten that nobody wants to adopt sort of way.

Edited by JHDK
3 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

He is just adding it to his library. He's not downloading it. It's just as pointlessly petty but whatever gets people's rocks off eh?

Eh, sure.

I own it for free now.

That's a win.

You seem rather bitterly attached to the game.

I am sorry for your loss.

Just now, JHDK said:

Eh, sure.

I own it for free now.

That's a win.

You seem rather bitterly attached to the game.

I am sorry for your loss.

I am neither. I simply asked how you pwned anyone by adding a free game to your library. I then explained you aren't downloading the game just adding it your library to never play because you enjoy being petty. Is what it is. I liked the game. Played it twice from beginning to end. Had a good time. You not liking a game you never played is of no importance to me. I stopped caring about the opinions of people who haven't experience the thing they have an opinion on a long time ago. 

So Bravely Default II did something cool with Red Mages. I’m not sure if this has been done in other rpg’s by square or the previous Bravely Games as it’s been forever since I played them.

As most know Traditionally Red Mages are mages who are decent at attacking but can learn mid-level black/white spells. 

well, in bravely default II they learn a heal spell that has a fixed about (“ara” and “aga” variants heal for a higher set amount), along with an earth based spell and a wind based spell. 

however, they learn a passive ability that adds status effects to offensive spells. Well, in Bravely Default II (I don’t remember if you can in OG and Second Layer) you can equip a sub-job. So I have a red mage currently who also maxed out the black mage job class as an offensive and status inducing mage. 

It’s kinda cool. Fire has a chance to cause Doom, Blizzard has a chance to cause Frozen (it’s like poison but the frozen target can’t move for 3-5 moves) and Thunder causes paralysis. The red mages spells Aero can cause confusion and I believe Stone can cause Slow. 

it’s really neat. I also just unlocked the dragoon, Salve-Master (alchemist) and Painter (not sure what kind of class it is) but no one is equipped to them right now. 

Out of all the classes I’ve messed around with out of the ones I’ve unlock the only one I don’t really like is ShieldMaster. But likely because it’s 100% defense base. You’re not even supposed to attack with it and I’ve always been a very offensive player when it comes to JRPG’s. 

my favorite class right now is thief though. They learn an amazing attack called Godspeed Strike that’s based off speed instead of power and after 2 turns have passed you the ability hits them for even more damage. It’s super useful against bosses. I have 1 party member who is leveling thief right now and 2 party members who are using mastered thief class as a sub-job. So life bars are just getting torn to shreds. 

Edited by iStu X

FF7 Remake is a PS+ game this month? That's kinda cool.  I got to where RedXIII  joins the party and ended up putting it down for Ghost of Tsushima I believe.  I sent my copy along with my PS4 Pro to my brother, so I'll go ahead and add the game to my library in case I ever decide to go back and finish it. Like when the next installment comes out 😂

13 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

FF7 Remake is a PS+ game this month? That's kinda cool.  I got to where RedXIII  joins the party and ended up putting it down for Ghost of Tsushima I believe.  I sent my copy along with my PS4 Pro to my brother, so I'll go ahead and add the game to my library in case I ever decide to go back and finish it. Like when the next installment comes out 😂

You were right at the end. Lol. You only had I believe 3-4 more boss fights left. Which sounds like a lot but they’re all almost back to back 

Edited by iStu X
20 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Whales are the only ones keeping ftp games afloat.  If they aren't harpooning them then they usually fail.

That's a good point. But i had purchased Rocket league before it went ftp (Yeah, I missed when it was on PS+), so it's particularly annoying to me the way Epic changed the economy of drops in it.  I get why it is the way it is, but I feel like if they made it just a little easier to accrue in-game credits (rather than it being limited to Rocket Pass Premium drops- which you also have to purchase 🙄) then it wouldn't feel like such a ripoff to get the cool shit.

20 minutes ago, iStu X said:

So Bravely Default II did something cool with Red Mages. I’m not sure if this has been done in other rpg’s by square or the previous Bravely Games as it’s been forever since I played them.

As most know Traditionally Red Mages are mages who are decent at attacking but can learn mid-level black/white spells. 

well, in bravely default II they learn a heal spell that has a fixed about (“ara” and “aga” variants heal for a higher set amount), along with an earth based spell and a wind based spell. 

however, they learn a passive ability that adds status effects to offensive spells. Well, in Bravely Default II (I don’t remember if you can in OG and Second Layer) you can equip a sub-job. So I have a red mage currently who also maxed out the black mage job class as an offensive and status inducing mage. 

It’s kinda cool. Fire has a chance to cause Doom, Blizzard has a chance to cause Frozen (it’s like poison but the frozen target can’t move for 3-5 moves) and Thunder causes paralysis. The red mages spells Aero can cause confusion and I believe Stone can cause Slow. 

it’s really neat. I also just unlocked the dragoon, Salve-Master (alchemist) and Painter (not sure what kind of class it is) but no one is equipped to them right now. 

Out of all the classes I’ve messed around with the only one I don’t really like is ShieldMaster. But likely because it’s 100% defense base. You’re not even supposed to attack with it and I’ve always been a very offensive player when it comes to JRPG’s. 

my favorite class right now is thief though. They learn an amazing attack called Godspeed Strike that’s based off speed instead of power and after 2 turns have passed you the ability hits them for even more damage. It’s super useful against bosses. I have 1 party member who is leveling thief right now and 2 party members who are using mastered thief class as a sub-job. So life bars are just getting torn to shreds. 

How is the itemization?

Is it the standard +5 to [insert stat] tosh?

Or does it have actual depth of customization?

I hear bad things about the weight stat, but I can overlook that if the weapons, armor, accessories, and other kit is used for crafting your character builds.

9 minutes ago, JHDK said:

@MillionX

How bad is the dead zone issue with the JoyCons on the Switch version of Borderlands?

I know they reduced the graphical quality for handheld, but that doesn't  really matter to me.

Responsiveness does.

Is it passable?

It seems just fine to  me; I haven't noticed a major difference in how the Borderlands games are in terms of gameplay/controls.  I got that Handsome Collection that's part 2 and Pre-Sequel.  (**NOTE---I have played these games more often with my pro-controller though..it's only recently with the q-tips fix that I've started using joycons again.)

For the drifting issue specifically, I finally tried the cheap solution of q-tips and isopropyl alcohol... so far it seems to work.  It is only my left joycon that occasionally drifts.  The right one did a long time ago but randomly went back to working fine one day, heh, for no apparent reason.  I have a friend that went the more invasive route with actually replacing the analog stick part of the joycons on his system...I'll try that method if the alcohol/q-tip method ever stops working for me.

Edited by MillionX
7 minutes ago, JHDK said:

How is the itemization?

Is it the standard +5 to [insert stat] tosh?

Or does it have actual depth of customization?

I hear bad things about the weight stat, but I can overlook that if the weapons, armor, accessories, and other kit is used for crafting your character builds.

Uh, there is no class specific armor, weapons or equipment. But there is clearly armor, weapons, equipment that are “meant” for certain classes. Weapons have a grading system based on class as well. 

My protagonist is currently a thief and all his gear is based around lowering his total weight while making his chance of being targeted + speed/evasion being as high as possible. 

Edited by iStu X
Just now, Faltimar the Dark said:

Its not.  If he stops paying that fee he wont have access to the game anymore.  Then Sony and The game will have "pwned" him.

Its part of the service as a whole yes, but the added content of games of a bundled part of the package that continues to grow at 0 extra cost to the consumer. 

So again. Semantics and not really the thrust of the actual conversation. 

3 minutes ago, MillionX said:

It seems just fine to  me; I haven't noticed a major difference in how the Borderlands games are in terms of gameplay/controls.  I got that Handsome Collection that's part 2 and Pre-Sequel.  (**NOTE---I have played these games more often with my pro-controller though..it's only recently with the q-tips fix that I've started using joycons again.)

For the drifting issue specifically, I finally tried the cheap solution of q-tips and isopropyl alcohol... so far it seems to work.  It is only my left joycon that occasionally drifts.  The right one did a long time ago but randomly went back to working fine one day, heh, for no apparent reason.  I have a friend that went the more invasive route with actually replacing the analog stick part of the joycons on his system...I'll try that method if the alcohol/q-tip method ever stops working for me.

Sweet, thanks.

I might just have to go ahead and give it go.

On my main Switch - not my Lite, lmao.

Those JoyCons get the JRPGs kid gloves.

1 minute ago, iStu X said:

Uh, there is no class specific armor, weapons or equipment. But there is clearly armor, weapons, equipment that are “meant” for certain classes. 

My protagonist is currently a thief and all his gear is based around lowering his total weight while making his chance of being targeted + speed/evasion being as high as possible. 

Thanks.

Do any give special bonuses, or abilities?

2 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Thanks.

Do any give special bonuses, or abilities?

Like most RPG’s there are elemental based weapons and armor as well as status inducing weapons, yeah. Same can be for absorbing elements, immune to statuses for wearing armor and accessories. 

when I was fucking around with ShieldMaster I had it set to where they absorbed Earth, Lightning and Water while taking half damage from fire and wind. 

equipping sub-jobs also gives you all the non-passive abilities of that class. Example being if your main job is a black mage but you’ve mastered white mage, if white mage is your sub-job you can also use white mage spells

Edited by iStu X
1 minute ago, iStu X said:

Like most RPG’s there are elemental based weapons and armor as well as status inducing weapons, yeah. Same can be for absorbing elements, immune to statuses for wearing armor and accessories. 

when I was fucking around with ShieldMaster I had it set to where they absorbed Earth, Lightning and Water while taking half damage from fire and wind. 

Sweet.

There have been more than a few games that have simply had weapons be stat sticks, of late.

I rather like the whole DQ8/PS2/4 item usage schtick.

Just now, iStu X said:

Yessir

Fuck yeah.  I loved that system in the first game.  I also really liked the quality of life improvements, like scaling down the random encounters and shit.

I keep nostalgically thinking I want to play through FFVI again because that's the all time best FF game ever, period.  But then I think about the random encounters and , man, I just don't have time for that shit these days. 

6 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Fuck yeah.  I loved that system in the first game.  I also really liked the quality of life improvements, like scaling down the random encounters and shit.

I keep nostalgically thinking I want to play through FFVI again because that's the all time best FF game ever, period.  But then I think about the random encounters and , man, I just don't have time for that shit these days. 

Yeah, it’s a system you can’t really ignore. Even when you unlock the 4 default classes, Vanguard, White Mage, Black Mage and Monk. You *kinda* can with certain classes but not in the long game. 

There’s classes I have but haven’t used yet that can bypass using your BP. Or that will help you gain BP quicker so you can use more of your better abilities that cost a lot of BP or when you’re in a situation where you need to use BP but don’t have. However this isn’t until you’re at the point I’m at in the game, if not farther since as I said I haven’t touched them. 

@RSG3 same. Lol

Edited by iStu X
2 hours ago, JHDK said:

Not me.

Learn to read.

Oh I'm sorry you are right, you are simply adding it to your library. That'll show Square Enix. After getting a check from Sony for time exclusivity and another one for allowing it to be a PS+ title, your act of adding to your library will really show them. It's not like you are paying Sony for a service that helps fund those payments to Square Enix....oh wait you do.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Oh I'm sorry you are right, you are simply adding it to your library. That'll show Square Enix. After getting a check from Sony for time exclusivity and another one for allowing it to be a PS+ your act of adding to your library will really show them. It's not like paying Sony for a service that helps fund those payments to Square Enix....oh wait you do.

You fail badly at logic.