Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

I tried the remote play thing last night and it is.... Something? 

Honestly, the performance wasn't that bad. There was probably 8-16 frames of lag I'm guessing? It's noticeable if you're playing a platformer or a fighter or something, but for a turned based game or even something like FFXV it's totally manageable. 

The only downside is that it looks like total shit. I don't know if I have to mess with the resolution options on my console or something, but it looks muddy. I was streaming to my iphone, so the screen was already pretty small, compounded with how everything was now smudged, I decided that I'll save my eyes and just give it a pass until it's improved or I move somewhere with better internet infrastructure 

I assume you were using WiFi? It works a lot better wired but depending on what you're playing it can work on wifi too; if you have a laptop that would probably be better than your iphone. Games that require less ram or have less going on onscreen definitely work better that way. What were you playing? 

9 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I assume you were using WiFi?

On the phone, my Playstation was wired. 

9 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

What were you playing? 

Tried a little bit of Hollow Knight and FFXV for the comparison. Both looked baaaaaaad. FFXV felt better though because it's not as precise of a game overall.

It was kind of a catch 22, cause the visual downgrade was less of an issue in Hollow Knight because I don't have to read as much or navigate menus, but the delay makes FFXV better to actually play and HK pretty bad. 

41 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

On the phone, my Playstation was wired. 

Tried a little bit of Hollow Knight and FFXV for the comparison. Both looked baaaaaaad. FFXV felt better though because it's not as precise of a game overall.

It was kind of a catch 22, cause the visual downgrade was less of an issue in Hollow Knight because I don't have to read as much or navigate menus, but the delay makes FFXV better to actually play and HK pretty bad. 

How old is your phone? I notice it works better on devices with a bit more horsepower. It definitely works better on my laptop or my new phone better than it did my old phone or Vita unless I was sitting right next to the PS4. Either way having the device you're streaming to wired if at all possible makes a big difference too, but it definitely isn't perfect. 

Edited by DoctaMario
24 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

How old is your phone?

It's an iPhone XR, so like 2 and a half years old, I think? 

25 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Either way having the device you're streaming to wired if at all possible makes a big difference too,

Word, that makes sense. Maybe if I beef up my router. Right now my wired connection is like 200 down and 20 up, wireless ranges from 40-200 down and 5-10 up. 

18 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

It's an iPhone XR, so like 2 and a half years old, I think? 

Word, that makes sense. Maybe if I beef up my router. Right now my wired connection is like 200 down and 20 up, wireless ranges from 40-200 down and 5-10 up. 

I've never used it with an iphone only android, Vita,  and Mac, so I can't say for sure what the issue could have been outside of the wired vs wifi thing. I got a USB-C hub with an ethernet port on it and it was a night and day difference playing at my studio. 

Edited by DoctaMario

Just saw that nintendo is dropping a MHR special edition switch. These fart breaths woulda got my money if they put a GoshDang ethernet port on their dock, but no. 

I hope all these sacrifices to the wifi gods are getting you a good spot in Bad Online Heaven, you lightbulb biting numbskulls 

Just now, KingTubb said:

Just saw that nintendo is dropping a MHR special edition switch. These fart breaths woulda got my money if they put a GoshDang ethernet port on their dock, but no. 

I hope all these sacrifices to the wifi gods are getting you a good spot in Bad Online Heaven, you lightbulb biting numbskulls 

Unless you're playing a fighter or something it doesn't matter that much.  Can't t Hi k of too many switch games where it makes the big a difference. 

Edited by RSG3
6 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Unless you're playing a fighter or something it doesn't matter that much.  Can't t Hi k of too many switch games where it makes the big a difference. 

Yeah, pretty much this, @KingTubb all the experiences I’ve had playing online with my switch have been perfectly fine. I know members here and myself were able to do 8 man lobbies in Mario kart with no issues. 

same when I did some runs with Martian in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. I was able to play splatoon 2 with people in Japan too and have next to zero lag.

the only game that everyone knows is horrible online is Smash. Which is weird cause from the sounds of it they’re purposely using a net code that blows but won’t fix it lol

Edited by iStu X
4 minutes ago, iStu X said:

the only game that everyone knows is horrible online is Smash. Which is weird cause from the sounds of it they’re purposely using a net code that blows but won’t fix it lol

If I recall, netcode for Smash is handled by Bandai Namco who just now updated the netcode for their flagship fighter. I doubt they’ll change it for Smash anytime soon.

5 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Unless you're playing a fighter or something it doesn't matter that much

You're not wrong, but not matter what, I'd prefer as stable of a connection as I can manage, and it bugs me that I don't have that option out of the box. 

Also, it's not just about netplay, it's also about download speeds and stability. Having a wired connections to download stuff faster would be nice. 

4 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I was able to play splatoon with people in Japan too and have next to zero lag. 

the only game that everyone knows is horrible online is Smash.

The only game I've ever played online is smash and animal crossing. AC can be kinda wonky sometimes, and actually getting someone to your island can be a little bit of a headache. Glad to hear Splatoon is solid 

Retromania had a title update today that has made the game a lot more balanced other than just who can mash the hardest.  Now there's a Fire Pro Wrestling-esque timing to when you're about to lock up and whoever locks up with the most precise time gets priority on who has dominance in the lockup.  The closer the opponent's timing to yours, the more likely it is you'll trigger the mash mini-game.  There's also something called "Lucky" that I'm trying to figure out what it's for but overall they addressed the mashing issue quickly.  Game might actually get some depth because of it.  

3 hours ago, iStu X said:

You really need to stop being Mr AcTuAlL

I do what I need to do. 
The Switch cards are not Carts. Carts exist as extensions to the CPU 

Cards are just read, like CDs, DVDs, and Barcodes. 

3 hours ago, iStu X said:

You’re splitting hairs over semantics.

It isn't Semantics, Comparing carts to cards like like comparing a Tricycle to a Pick up Truck 

Next time get your shit right or I correct you again 

Just now, DarkSakul said:

I do what I need to do. 
The Switch cards are not Carts. Carts exist as extensions to the CPU 

Cards are just read, like CDs, DVDs, and Barcodes. 

It isn't Semantics, Comparing carts to cards like like comparing a Tricycle to a Pick up Truck 

Next time get your shit right or I correct you again 

Shut the fuck up. 

I dabbled in some Kingdoms of Amalur again early this morning; heh, it's such a great power fantasy... naturally my character is quite a bit overpowered at this point, even though this is Hard difficulty I'm on, and I'm headed towards the final areas of the world/story... still a ways to go before unlocking that top mage destiny "Archmage"... I'm level 28 or 29 at the moment, but in terms of skills, I already have every ability I wanted to focus on, and bonuses pushing them past their normal limitations.

It's surprising when some things manage to survive Meteor..i it's about the most devastating skill in the game, but in the endgame areas, occasionally some things can survive that shit.  Heh, when going all out, right after the meteor hits I'm already casting some more powerful shit to get whoever miraculously survived the initial attack.

..just 2 weeks now 'til the Switch version comes out...and yeahhhhhh bruh I'm getting it on that too.  The only problem is the issue of time, of course... it's the same day as Monster Hunter Rise!  Then on top of that... Outriders is just about 2 weeks after that...and this is on top of my new main thang Curse of the Dead Gods and Persona 5 Strikers....on top of my rekindled interest in ESO lately.  There's not enough time in life for all this. 🤣

I have to wonder what are the people at Sony thinking sabotaging their products by removing options, making experiences worse, censoring gmaes, being hostile to game developers like the shit they do to the japanese devs, etc.

Ever since they moved the hq to california, they are in a race to become shit.

4 hours ago, KingTubb said:

You're not wrong, but not matter what, I'd prefer as stable of a connection as I can manage, and it bugs me that I don't have that option out of the box. 

Also, it's not just about netplay, it's also about download speeds and stability. Having a wired connections to download stuff faster would be nice. 

The only game I've ever played online is smash and animal crossing. AC can be kinda wonky sometimes, and actually getting someone to your island can be a little bit of a headache. Glad to hear Splatoon is solid 

I've had laggy puyo puyo Tetris matches on wifi but they were generally against Japanesers. I just don't understand why it would have been a big deal for them to put an ethernet port in the dock so that people would at least know a wired connection was possible. I had to look up wired connection on switch which is where I found the ethernet adapters and while I enjoy playing fighters on switch, a lot of people run matches on wifi. 

31 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I forgot about that. When it went F2P I remember hearing a lot of complains about the game become more expansive due to had they changed blueprints to fit the new business model. 

Yeah, but i think that after a while they managed to meet an equilibrium point.

But, don't quote me on that.

Is something i heard from second hand, and well, the person who said it likes playing gacha games, so is not really the most trustworthy source 🤣

47 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Yeah, but i think that after a while they managed to meet an equilibrium point.

Eh, sort of. They charge WAY too fucking much to unlock blueprints. Especially black market decals. Like, $20+ for a decorative decal that you would need to save up for literally AT LEAST six months to earn enough credits in-game.  It's kinda fucked up. You get an exciting decal blueprint drop randomly after a match, but you can't use it unless you pay credits to unlock it. 

I kinda preferred the crate system they had. A dollar for a key to unlock what could possibly be an exotic or black market drop. And on the rare occasions you got one to drop after a match it was automatically unlocked.

One thing I just thought about from ESO that I wish more games had going on---the cosmetics situation; there's outfits that override the appearance of what clothes/armor you actually have equipped, so you can always have your character with a certain look regardless of stats.  

Diablo has my favorite version of this bit of customization though with the "transmogrification" system... though I realize most companies probably won't be doing that ever again, since there's no money to be had doing things that way.  Basically, in D3, you could change most items you wear so they have the appearance of something else.  You could make some legendary boots have the more simplified appearance of the boots a level 1 character has on, for example....this is something I always changed, btw...because most legendary boots have a tacky, sometimes straight up ugly appearance, imo....because there's too much visually there.  

The annoying shit is when a game doesn't have any of this while having stats on clothing items... this creates the dilemma of style vs. efficiency....and I hate when that becomes an issue. (e.g.--imagine the "chicken suit" from Fable 3 had godlike stats on it, like +100% DEF, and nothing else even comes close to that.....now you have this problem of "do I have my character looking stupid just to have godlike stats?"  ..and that's no fun.)

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

Eh, sort of. They charge WAY too fucking much to unlock blueprints. Especially black market decals. Like, $20+ for a decorative decal that you would need to save up for literally AT LEAST six months to earn enough credits in-game.  It's kinda fucked up. You get an exciting decal blueprint drop randomly after a match, but you can't use it unless you pay credits to unlock it. 

I kinda preferred the crate system they had. A dollar for a key to unlock what could possibly be an exotic or black market drop. And on the rare occasions you got one to drop after a match it was automatically unlocked.

I think i said this for when Chun Li was revealed on Fortnite on the SFV section.

I really hate how expensive everything is with FtP games.

The problem is that there are idiots willing to pay absurd amounts of cash on cosmetics, which in turn motivates everyone to keep the prices high, forcing anyone that was willing to buy shit at reasonable prices to just not bother.

IIRC, one idiot from the Apex team was complaining that not enough people were buying cosmetics, trying to defend the absurd 200+ bucks that costed a season pass/cosmetic bundle.

My brother would have gladly supported Apex, buying shit for the game, but $20 for each character is idiotic, much more for cosmetics you cant see since is a fps.

19 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

The problem is that there are idiots willing to pay absurd amounts of cash on cosmetics, which in turn motivates everyone to keep the prices high, forcing anyone that was willing to buy shit at reasonable prices to just not bother.

Exactly this, and I was thinking this same thing as I was typing my previous post. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so stingy with the in-game currency, but the fucking morons who keep buying the shit allows Epic to keep the prices up. It fucking sucks.

29 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

The only thing worse than replaying the ugly, badly written mess that was 1997 FF7, is paying actual money to replay it in $60 installments infused with everything that made Crisis Core make O.G. 1997 look like a mere isolated growth of cancer, rather than full-blown Wade Winston Wilson coming down with Ryan Reynolds.

The amount of SHMUPs on Capcom Arcade Stadium is nuts and I'm totally cool with it. I think my faves are Progear and Giga Wing. Deflecting bullets is so freaking cool and both games are dope for high score chasing. I caught myself trying to deflect bullets in Progear a few nights back. Got my shooters mixed up. 19XX, 1944 and 1941 are also pretty cool as well. 

Made it through the first round of Ghosts 'n Goblins. My sanity would not have survived without the rewind feature. Red Aremers continue to be a loathsome enemy and in stage 3 the developers decided to but this mofo EVERYWHERE. As aggravating as stage 3 was stage 5 and 6 were so much worse.

An example of all the shit going on in ESO that you'd have to learn about as if you were in school.... this guy posted an updated 2021 "beginner's guide", which as you can see it ended up being over 2 hours long 😆

*ah, apparently I'm not the only one---I see others have had problems posting clips to the xbox activity feed.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinsiders/comments/kc0ct7/cant_upload_screenshots_to_xbox_live_and_share/

I have some cool little clips from Werewolf, ESO, etc. in recent days but I can't post anything.  It will say it's uploading, but nothing appears on the feed.  I can see the clips just fine on the system itself in "manage captures", but none will post, whether I pick "upload to Live" or "upload to activity feed" or both....it's just seemingly a dead option for me.

Edited by MillionX

Gears 5 Operation 6 is out now... a fresh reminder that you will likely need to re-install customization whenever this game updates

https://forums.gearsofwar.com/t/customization-not-installed-i-figured-it-out-finally-options-then-install-manager-pc-xbox-fix-for-missing-content/54839/4

Seems like MS did a poor job of announcing that, imo... last time I came back to the game after a long absence, I was left wondering why all my character skins and unlocks were gone....until you re-install customizations in the game's "Install Manager" section, it will look like all your shit is gone at first.