Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

17 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I really doubt it.

Watching movies and listening music is a passive form of entertainment.

Playing video games is an active one.

It wouldnt matter how much the technology improves, since you will always have the limitations of the medium.

Input Lag due latency, high bandwith requirements to stream the content in high resolutions, packet loses due hicups on the connection, even more so with people playing on Wifi, not owning the content of the service, datcaps, etc, etc.

Just to give you an idea, Playing old school doom 2 on switch is like 192 mb

Play the same game in stadia, for 1 or 2 hours and you are talking about over 10 gbs of video data being streamed.

Is just the most idiotic way to play video games if you ask me 🤣

I understand your point RE active vs passive forms of entertainment, and it would be a good point if internet technology wasn't going to go any further than it has, but it will, and if you have a good enough connection, you can already play games remotely with very little latency. Hence when technology gets better, there will be imperceptible if any lag at all. At the moment, there are few reasons to stream vs playing on a console/PC but as the tech gets better, it will become more accepted. A lot of gamers are still conditioned to want to own physical product, but even that's changing. 

Data caps are definitely an issue but I could see telecoms doing tie in packages like they do with Spotify and Disney+ right now if companies like Sony and Microsoft massage it the right way. AT&T has already started marketing their internet packages to gamers so I'd hedge my bets that other companies will follow suit if that ad campaign shows to be working. 

Edited by DoctaMario
7 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

and it would be a good point if internet technology wasn't going to go any further than it has, but it will, and if you have a good enough connection,

It's not just throttling but the lack of investment in the Infrastructure. 
Good high speed bandwidth is not accessible everywhere, and where it is available it's not always reliable.

Like a Good phone based Wireless Hot spot would work, but I wouldn't connect your Console's Wifi to your Phone as a Hotspot for online gaming. 
The latency alone would be devastating, regardless of the actual speed.

Its why if you want to game seriously on Fighters, RTS, or other Online games that require hair trigger reactions, you should use a ethernet cable and not Wifi.

The technology isn't the problem, more advance technology isn't the solution. The Solution is the improve the infrastructure  

7 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Data caps are definitely an issue but I could see telecoms doing tie in packages like they do with Spotify and Disney+ right now if companies like Sony and Microsoft massage it the right way. AT&T has already started marketing their internet packages to gamers so I'd hedge my bets that other companies will follow suit. 

This is not a thing anyone should look forwards too, this is just another paywall that we do not need. 
There no data caps on most non cable ISPs yet (like Verizon does not have Data caps), there no reason for Comcast to also force data caps. 

Edited by DarkSakul

Oh if you ever want to take your Dual Sense pad apart to ether replace the battery, replace the thumb sticks or put the controller in a new shell

Beware the controller has a bunch of tiny screws and 5 ribbon cables to deal with. I suggest if you have it to use a iFix it tool kit. 
One for the touch pad,2 mic ribbon cables (I assume there two mics), and both trigger assemblies use ribbon cables. 

You also want a plastic pry tool of some sort like a guitar pick, or a plastic spudger (unless you got some good fingernails) to pry apart some plastic snaps. 

Two screws are hidden under the bottom trim/bezel of each handle, and you have to pop off both R1 and L1 to find two more screws in the button's wells. 

58 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

It's not just throttling but the lack of investment in the Infrastructure. 
Good high speed bandwidth is not accessible everywhere, and where it is available it's not always reliable.

Like a Good phone based Wireless Hot spot would work, but I wouldn't connect your Console's Wifi to your Phone as a Hotspot for online gaming. 
The latency alone would be devastating, regardless of the actual speed.

Its why if you want to game seriously on Fighters, RTS, or other Online games that require hair trigger reactions, you should use a ethernet cable and not Wifi.

The technology isn't the problem, more advance technology isn't the solution. The Solution is the improve the infrastructure  

This is not a thing anyone should look forwards too, this is just another paywall that we do not need. 
There no data caps on most non cable ISPs yet (like Verizon does not have Data caps), there no reason for Comcast to also force data caps. 

You're arguing against a point I never made. Why would you try to play something like Stadia or even ps4 remote play on wifi? You're also acting like because high speed internet isn't available everywhere, it's available nowhere which is silly. 

Like Camacho said, an upside to game streaming is that if you have a decent internet connection, you don't even need to buy a console which is another $3-400 if you can even get ahold of one, which is a problem right now, in addition to being able to get ahold of good computer parts. 

Streaming would more than likely eradicate game piracy too and allow publishers to monetize old ass games that are largely out of print but not financially viable enough to package and release on their own. 

Have you ever played a game via streaming/remote play/xcloud/whatever?

Edited by DoctaMario
2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Have you ever played a game via streaming/remote play/xcloud/whatever?

Yeah, it was shit. Latency out of the ass. 

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Like Camacho said, an upside to game streaming is that if you have a decent internet connection, you don't even need to buy a console which is another $3-400 if you can even get ahold of one, which is a problem right now, in addition to being able to get ahold of good computer parts. 

Don't mean shit if the infrastructure isn't there. Something MS and Google likes to gloss over way too often.
Its why the Stadia despite cutting edge cloud computing tech is still ass. 

If Stadia and Xcloud worked like it supposed to, then you don't even need the PC.
You just need a Smart TV, TV HDMI dongle, Smart phone, or Tablet.

And if that tech takes off, then consoles are dead. 

Think of this analogy, it does not matter how nice of a car you got, how tell the engine maintained or the tech in the car if the roads are all shit. You can make a better car, but if the roads are crap and the bridges are out, then it going to effect your travel if you drive a Tesla or a Yugo. 

Edited by DarkSakul
41 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

And if that tech takes off, then consoles are dead. 

is that really the case, tho?

Again, I like having the ability to play a game without relying on my internet connection. You still would need some kind of hardware that can download and run the game. 

I guess the people that want to download games would have to migrate to PC if this happens. But the switch is a massive hit, and I want to be able to play games on a airplane, and it'll be another 20 years before I can stream a game on an airplane without issues. And even then, they'll charge me $60 just for the amount of data I'm using

4 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

is that really the case, tho?

Again, I like having the ability to play a game without relying on my internet connection. You still would need some kind of hardware that can download and run the game. 

I guess the people that want to download games would have to migrate to PC if this happens. But the switch is a massive hit, and I want to be able to play games on a airplane, and it'll be another 20 years before I can stream a game on an airplane without issues. And even then, they'll charge me $60 just for the amount of data I'm using

Yeah, seeing the actual trends, you can see that streaming games will be more of a companion rather than a replacement.

There are objective advantages of playing things on hardware, that it wouldn't matter ever how much the connections, technology and infrastructure improve.

It would never be the same.

I feel some people here have a very optimistic, to the point of naivetes, view of how much potential streaming has.

The same for how consoles being thing has an expiration date 🤣

Consoles are a commodity that just by the look of how some people go to get them show we will have them around as long as the companies behind them exist.

I can believe more the argument that mobile gaming will replace console gaming than stream becoming the way people play games tbh, lol.

5 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

you can see that streaming games will be more of a companion rather than a replacement.

That's how I see it too. 

Consoles are going to find ways to stay relatively cheap, one way is skimping on memory, while games keep getting bigger and bigger. It already looks like this new console generation is only going to be able to fit 2-3 games on the launch editions by the end of this cycle at this rate. They're already encouraging you to stream on the current gen. 

But it's pretty wild to me how cheap consoles have gotten. It's the same price as the PS4 at launch and cheaper than the PS3, and when you factor in inflation, it's really insane how console gaming is getting cheaper and cheaper. 

Same would probably go for PC gaming if the crypto miners weren't fucking everything up 

7 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

That's how I see it too. 

Consoles are going to find ways to stay relatively cheap, one way is skimping on memory, while games keep getting bigger and bigger. It already looks like this new console generation is only going to be able to fit 2-3 games on the launch editions by the end of this cycle at this rate. They're already encouraging you to stream on the current gen. 

But it's pretty wild to me how cheap consoles have gotten. It's the same price as the PS4 at launch and cheaper than the PS3, and when you factor in inflation, it's really insane how console gaming is getting cheaper and cheaper. 

Same would probably go for PC gaming if the crypto miners weren't fucking everything up 

Is not so much that consoles are cheaper, but that the market cap for the price is set at that price point.

Over that and is becoming suicidal.

Most of the people seems that are not willing to pay over 500 bucks even if the technology on the inside sold separately costs more than the console itself.

It is why the console manufacturers have to implement extra business models like online play fees, recoup loses on exclusivities, etc.

It is funny to see how some people are more willing to shelve like 1000 bucks for a phone, but find 600 for a console to be too much.

I find the price of phones to be fuckin' insane but you can do a lot more on a phone than you can on any console.  Games are like a secondary or third or maybe even 4th thing that's considered when buying a phone.  All you can do on a console is play games.  That's why people will pay outrageous prices for phones but scoff at the price of consoles. 

I scoff at the price of consoles cause my damn computer is more powerful than PS5 and it only cost a 200 bucks more.

3 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

All you can do on a console is play games.

You can stream content from almost any streaming service there is: movies, TV, music, etc. 

You're right that gaming is it's primary function, but that's not all it can do. 

5 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

my damn computer is more powerful than PS5 and it only cost a 200 bucks more.

You built a PC that's more powerful than a PS5 for $600? 

Show Me Nbc GIF by Good Girls

2 hours ago, iStu X said:

🤔🤔🤔

Eh, Forever Entertainment has a lot to prove IMO. They dropped a incomplete remake of the of Panzer Dragoon on the Switch and only just got it up to decent with updates. And even if I didn't bhave doubts in the development side of things lso I doubt Square Enox is letting them touch their big named JRPGs so I can only guess the biggest titles they may have will be Rad Racer, The Bouncer, Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring and Einhänder.

Its 499 for PS5 so I spent 700 dollars on a computer.  You just want me to take a picture of the thing?

Anyhow, I dont think the streaming shit is even a big deal.  You can stream hulu, netflix, hbo whatevers, etc on just about any device now. 

Edit - I honestly think this will be the last console generation as we know them.  In terms of power and cost the lines between PC and Console are really starting to blur.  There is almost zero difference but the fact that consoles are locked down.

Edit 2 - The PS5's SSD is faster than both the SSDs in my computer...

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
6 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Its 499 for PS5 so I spent 700 dollars on a computer

Only for the disc version, the digital version is $399, they got the same guts tho. But Word, you could probably make a hoss of a PC for $700 5-6 years ago, unfortunately it's not the case anymore😔

9 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

In terms of power and cost the lines between PC and Console are really starting to blur.  There is almost zero difference but the fact that consoles are locked down.

That's how I feel. If you've got the cash and want performance advantages, flexibility, and wanna build something, get a PC, if you just wanna play and aren't that concerned with 120fps and 8k resolution on every game, pick up a console🤷‍♀️

I'm not a computer building enthusiast.  I don't like building a computer.  I don't sit here testing for fps and shit like that.  I'm still playing my games at 1080p 75FPS.  What I like is playing games.  I have the most freedom on PC so Ive gone that route the last decade and a half or so.

The fact that they are making digital only versions of consoles shows that they are heading in a different direction.

I use to be into consoles cause I could get the gaming experience the PC players got at a fraction of the cost.  That's not the case so much anymore.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Yeah, seeing the actual trends, you can see that streaming games will be more of a companion rather than a replacement.

There are objective advantages of playing things on hardware, that it wouldn't matter ever how much the connections, technology and infrastructure improve.

It would never be the same.

I feel some people here have a very optimistic, to the point of naivetes, view of how much potential streaming has.

The same for how consoles being thing has an expiration date 🤣

Consoles are a commodity that just by the look of how some people go to get them show we will have them around as long as the companies behind them exist.

I can believe more the argument that mobile gaming will replace console gaming than stream becoming the way people play games tbh, lol.

It's not so much me being optimistic as it is me reading the writing the writing on the wall, seeing as how the exact same thing that's now happening in the game industry already happened in the music and movie industries. You and Darksakul are old (but probably younger than me) and want to own hardware and physical games, which is cool, I do all that stuff too, but people who are kids right now will more than likely not give a shit about owning a high dollar PC setup or a console when they can just stream games to their phone/media device from the cloud.

I use Remote Play all the time to play Bloodborne and it works great if you have a good connection, which I do.

17 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I use Remote Play all the time

You're gonna have to teach my dumbass how to do that, cause I wanna, it would make my wife happy if I could game on the couch instead of the office while she watches historical dramas or whatever the fuck. 

20 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

but people who are kids right now will more than likely not give a shit about owning a high dollar PC setup or a console when they can just stream games to their phone/media device from the cloud.

Yeah, I agree with this. But the day that I can't download and play a game without an internet connect is the day that I stop playing video games and find something else to do with my free time  

28 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Snip

Yeah, but my reasoning is that there is a huge difference between seeing movies, and listening music and playing video games.

I don't doubt that there will be a market that can be satisfied with using streaming as an alternative.

But i don't see it as a replacement due the nature of how you interact with the medium.

2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

You're gonna have to teach my dumbass how to do that, cause I wanna, it would make my wife happy if I could game on the couch instead of the office while she watches historical dramas or whatever the fuck. 

Yeah, I agree with this. But the day that I can't download and play a game without an internet connect is the day that I stop playing video games and find something else to do with my free time  

If you're got a PS VIta, a WIn10 or Mac, an Android that's on Android 10 or 11 I think, or maybe an iPhone, i don't know, then you can stream from your PS4 to that device. If you're in close proximity to the console, you can even connect directly, at least with the Vita and it works seamlessly, but through the internet, it works pretty flawlessly on my Android if I use a wired connection.

I don't think that day will ever come. You can even download music from Spotify to your device as long as you jump online once every, maybe, 30 days.

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Yeah, but my reasoning is that there is a huge difference between seeing movies, and listening music and playing video games.

I don't doubt that there will be a market that can be satisfied with using streaming as an alternative.

But i don't see it as a replacement due the nature of how you interact with the medium.

People used to talk about sound/video quality with movies and music though, and now you can stream lossless/4k. Connections WILL get faster, and like I was telling KingTubb, I can stream Bloodborne to my phone at my studio from my PS4 at my house that's 50 miles away, output my phone's display to my monitor and connect my PS4 controller and outside of a touch of input lag here and there, it's pretty excellent. It's definitely not something I'd want to rely on to play fighting games competitively or stuff that requires a lot of really tight execution, but for a lot of games, it actually works pretty well right now, at least for me.

Edited by DoctaMario

I’m playing bravely default II and I just met a dragon that lives in the mountains of a near by village I’m making my way towards. A party member knows the Dragon. So we chat it up about wtf is going on. 

My protagonist accidentally referred to him a lizard upon first seeing him and then a monster. (not trying to be insulting. He said “oh, you’re a dragon? Like a monster from children’s books”). So the dragon got super mad he got called a Lizard and Monster in th same conversation which led to the Dragon basically saying my protagonist is a racist lol

On top of that right before we entered the town I activate party chat where ANOTHER party member refers to the dragon as a lizard. The party member who knows the dragon basically says “uhhhh, that’s basically their N word. So really...don’t say that around them or the people in this village who worship them”

Edited by iStu X

Google restored Terraria dev's google accounts, Terraria moving forward on Stadia

https://www.ign.com/articles/terraria-on-stadia-canceled-after-developer-is-locked-out-of-google-accounts

New Need for Speed delayed to focus on Battlefield

https://www.ign.com/articles/new-need-for-speed-delayed-to-focus-on-next-battlefield-ea-confirms

Physical San Diego Comic Con canceled, going all digital

https://www.ign.com/articles/san-diego-comic-con-sdcc-2021-cancelled-comic-conhome

Borderlands movie casts Tiny Tina

https://www.ign.com/articles/borderlands-movie-casts-avengers-infinity-war-actress-as-tiny-tina

It's the girl who played Young Gamora in Infinity War

4 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

people who are kids right now will more than likely not give a shit about owning a high dollar PC setup or a console when they can just stream games to their phone/media device from the cloud.

Which means consoles are dead if that becomes the new norm.

Who needs to buy a console if you can stream the gaming to a phone, tablet, or TV via device like Chrome cast. 

things are actually coming along in ESO lately... 

One criticism I always have about this game besides the online-only thing--- it's not really a noob-friendly casual sort of thing, y'know?  There's sooo many details to be concerned with, and so much going on with the interface and how things work... you basically have to do quite a bit of research online before you can "properly" play the game...I'm not really there yet myself; I just get on for a while to continue my adventures as yet another badass vampire character in the Elder Scrolls world.

Today in ESO... saw some random thugs mugging a dude in an alley... so my vamp became a good guy for a change...snuck up and chomped down on 1 of those fools, then easily killed the other 2 as their victim ran off to safety...they left a bag of stolen goods that I turned in; this triggered a side-quest where they wanted me to track down the gang leader, so I found him by the docks and killed him too....funny thing is I accidentally attacked an innocent woman while fighting that gang leader, and this put a bounty on me...but I remembered having some special "writ of"...something that knocks off 500 gold from your bounty, effectively taking care of things if you get in trouble, so I used that; heh, I pardoned myself for that and was able to turn in the quest just fine.

...also ran into a problem trying to visit blacksmiths and weapon shops...the npcs kept refusing to even speak to me, and I remembered---"ohhh yeah...that vampirism stage 4 status...."  At stage 4, it's like your humanity is gone, and it's obvious what really are.  In one shop I just waited until the shop clerk wasn't looking and just stole the sword I was looking at.

I tried the remote play thing last night and it is.... Something? 

Honestly, the performance wasn't that bad. There was probably 8-16 frames of lag I'm guessing? It's noticeable if you're playing a platformer or a fighter or something, but for a turned based game or even something like FFXV it's totally manageable. 

The only downside is that it looks like total shit. I don't know if I have to mess with the resolution options on my console or something, but it looks muddy. I was streaming to my iphone, so the screen was already pretty small, compounded with how everything was now smudged, I decided that I'll save my eyes and just give it a pass until it's improved or I move somewhere with better internet infrastructure