Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

9 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

It would be easier to get people to leave their Xbox and PS4 behind if they can carry their purchases to the streaming platform. Xcloud comes at no extra cost for people who have gamepass. Streaming being supplementary rather than the main product would also help it alot.  

Agreed, but if there's no console involved, how do you work that? But I agree about it being supplemental rather than the main thing, at least at the moment. I still think at some point it will probably become the thing once internet connections get better and younger generations who have never owned physical media come up.

It would also make computer part shortages would be a thing of the past. 

23 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Agreed, but if there's no console involved, how do you work that? But I agree about it being supplemental rather than the main thing, at least at the moment. I still think at some point it will probably become the thing once internet connections get better and younger generations who have never owned physical media come up.

It would also make computer part shortages would be a thing of the past. 

That solution already exists with Geforce Now. Geforce makes use of a user's existing Steam library for it's service. The only thing the user is paying for using said library over Nvidia cloud servers. It has compatibly issues and publishers stonewalling support since it not forcing customers to pay for games again but I feel that's the ideal way along with Gamepass to handle a streaming game service. It works better than Stadia so that's a feather for it's cap.

Edited by Hawkingbird
51 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

That solution already exists with Geforce Now. Geforce makes use of a user's existing Steam library for it's service. The only thing the user is paying for using said library over Nvidia cloud servers. It has compatibly issues and publishers stonewalling support since it not forcing customers to pay for games again but I feel that's the ideal way along with Gamepass to handle a streaming game service. It works better than Stadia so that's a feather for it's cap.

I understand that, but in the case of Google who doesn't have a console, how do you mitigate that outside of trying to get AAA franchises to your platform? 

Personally I love the remote play thing on psn, I use it all the time, and I actually considered PSNow at one point, but it's pretty restrictive in that you have to have a ps4 or 5 to use it, you don't use their servers. 

Target acquired--- I was in Walmart and happened to see Persona 5 Strikers in there so it's mine now---for 50 instead of 60 as usual....that "walmart advantage".  Quick sidenote there--- if I bought this digitally it would've been the regular 59.99....or 69.99 if I got the version that comes with that extra stuff.  I know someone who is always going pure digital ever since the tail end of the 360 days...I'll bet he buys it off the eShop, wasting 10 to 20 bucks in the process 😆 (this is on top of another disadvantage of the slow-ass downloads I've seen from the eShop.  Buy it physical on Switch... and you can play IMMEDIATELY.  I love how this is basically an unassailable point here.  In the case of this particular game, this is unquestionably the better deal in every way.)

I haven't tried the bonus content yet but it comes with a code to download that....a soundtrack and something else I've forgotten already.

Edited by MillionX
10 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I understand that, but in the case of Google who doesn't have a console, how do you mitigate that outside of trying to get AAA franchises to your platform? 

I honestly wouldn't bother to try. If I were Google I would focus on the indie games that blow up like Among Us and Fall Guys. The AAA cats are gonna stay where they are.

If I where Google I would have focused on exclusives. To break into the "console"  business you need to take losses for a while. You cant just jump in head first and shoot to the top. 

Google took the DCEU road thinking they skip all the hard work instead of taking the Marvel Road and putting in the hard work to develop their own platform strengths. 

Edited by RSG3
4 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

What do you mean by blowing up?  My favorite game just had a popular streamer stream it and it blew up cause of that.  Now there is 500 people playing at any given time instead of 250.  Niche shit wont take your new games system far.

If niche shit is what your into it can. It should be used to built a platform. Once the platform is established they can go for the big guns. A store like GoG started by updating old games to work on modern machines. It's best to start small with these ventures.

5 hours ago, RSG3 said:

All those millions of dollars spent poaching when it could have spent on an original IP that could be their "Halo."

This million times.

They could have started small, like they used to do.

And build upon it.

Instead they blew millions, implemented a dumb business model that doesnt make sense outside trying to recoup any costs they had trying to bring AAA games into the ecosystem and now they have a dying service, which is not long before is declared dead.

8 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I honestly wouldn't bother to try. If I were Google I would focus on the indie games that blow up like Among Us and Fall Guys. The AAA cats are gonna stay where they are.

People really expect big things from google and not even trying to land big name franchises or even big devs making exclusives seems like it would have been a mistake for a brand trying to compete with the likes of Sony and Microsoft

18 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I think appealing to more casual gamers makes sense since people who are pretty serious about gaming probably aren't the ones signing up, and getting stuff like Ass Creed is a way to do it 

Casuals is the mobile market. Someone interested in a mainstream game like Assassin's Creed ain't gonna play it on a phone, tablet and/or web browser. They will play it on a platform that will give them the best experience and streaming won't be that. 

12 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Casuals is the mobile market. Someone interested in a mainstream game like Assassin's Creed ain't gonna play it on a phone, tablet and/or web browser. They will play it on a platform that will give them the best experience and streaming won't be that. 

I dont think casual gamers care what they play on as long as they can play.  And they do play games like Ass Creed and COD and such.  If they're forkin' over money for the best experience they're going for a PC or PS5...I'd say that alone sets that person apart from a casual gamer. 

This shit has been tried 3 times now?  Onlive, something else and now stadia.  All have failed.  People dont want that shit, but they are trying to convince people that it is the future of gaming.  Its not.

14 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I think there's a disconnect between what we each consider "casual." To me, people who only play sports games, CoD, only the most popular games, etc could also be considered casual, and like Faltimer said, I don't think they care as much what they play on. 

Regardless, once technology gets better and newer generations come up, I think streaming games will be the norm just like it is for movies and music. 

Younger people, teens and kids rather do mobile, on Mommy and Daddy's Smart Phone or Tablet
Or their own Smart phone or Tablet. 
Fewer and fewer kids are playing on Consoles. 

The Vast majority of console players are averaging about 35, and there more women than men who play. 
And I don't factor in the people who play only a couple of months out of the year for the new Madden or COD when it comes out, as that is all they play and only when the game is hot/new on the shelf. 

Also with MS ready to abandon consoles entirely, they are moving away from consoles and towards an "ecosystem" as we speak. 

Stadia fails as Google don't get Gamers or Gaming. 
MS gets Gamers, but don't really care about them other than being a revenue stream 
So that only leaves Sony and Nintendo, and nether should really be applauded for what they do. 

15 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Regardless, once technology gets better

It got nothing to do with the Tech. The Internet Infrastructure here in the U.S. is a fucking Joke 
You got assclowns like Comcast that will not invest in the infrastructure while ripping people off left and right. Verizon isn't that much better ether. Keep in mind we can't get Texas to get on the program with electricity, so getting the Internet infrastructure up to snuff is at best a up hill battle. 

Till High speed Broadband Internet access is recognized and made into a regulated utility and a basic human right in the world, Companies like Comcast declawed,  we aren't going to see streaming gaming do shit. There plenty of places in the US that only has Dial Up still, or have such price hikes and throttling that you may as well have old school DSL. 

Edited by DarkSakul
26 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

Younger people, teens and kids rather do mobile, on Mommy and Daddy's Smart Phone or Tablet
Or their own Smart phone or Tablet. 
Fewer and fewer kids are playing on Consoles. 

If this is true then that even more points in the direction of things going toward streaming. People care about convenience more than quality.

Not everyone will play streaming services  as their main form of gaming either because they don't want it or their internet situation won't work, and it means getting physical copies of games will be harder, and people are buying more digital copies of games now than they were anyway. Its going to move similar to how it has in the music industry; some of the things anti-game streaming people say are the exact same things anti-music streaming people used to. 

I agree with you that our telecoms suck, but internet speeds are already a lot better than they were even 5 years ago despite telecom suckage.

34 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

If this is true then that even more points in the direction of things going toward streaming.

It be the death of consoles, and gaming as we know it. 

34 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I agree with you that our telecoms suck, but internet speeds are already a lot better than they were even 5 years ago despite telecom suckage.

Does not mean crap if you can't get the actual speeds, Comcast wants to throttle connections in every state they operate in 
And they have monopolies in many markets. 

And there places that don't get high speed broadband 

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I think there's a disconnect between what we each consider "casual." To me, people who only play sports games, CoD, only the most popular games, etc could also be considered casual, and like Faltimer said, I don't think they care as much what they play on. 

Regardless, once technology gets better and newer generations come up, I think streaming games will be the norm just like it is for movies and music. 

If it didn't matter what they play on then those games would be on every platform under the sun but they are not. CoD and Ass Greed don't get Switch versions. Those companies know that their audience won't play them on a Switch. 

15 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Image Snip

Whats that last one, GTA 5? 

Well I looked it up, GTA 5 came out in 2013. So almost 10 years ago. 
So I know now it's GTA 3, GTA 4 came out in 2008.

I know how gaymin was 20 years ago, it was 12 years ago we got Street Fighter 4, Mario is 35 years ago. 

I am old enough to remember how this absolute piece of crap passes as a arcade port back in the day

Edited by DarkSakul
32 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

It be the death of consoles, and gaming as we know it. 

Does not mean crap if you can't get the actual speeds, Comcast wants to throttle connections in every state they operate in 
And they have monopolies in many markets. 

And there places that don't get high speed broadband 

Consoles will probably die at some point just like VCRs did. Just because something is a certain way now doesn't mean that's the way it's always to be. 

Having a fiber connection makes a big difference. I have fiber iny house and in my studio and I can run remote play from the ps4 at my house to my studio and the quality, while not 100% the same as playing on the actual console, is excellent. I get that not everyone is going to be able to take advantage of streaming and it isn't going to be anytime soon that consoles are going to die out. 

Edited by DoctaMario
6 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Consoles will probably die at some point just like VCRs did. Just because something is a certain way now doesn't mean that's the way it's always to be. 

I don't think so. Consoles will continue to exist. Usually companies that offer ecosystems will have dedicated hardware for it for people that want their software and streaming to be seamless. 

20 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

If it didn't matter what they play on then those games would be on every platform under the sun but they are not. CoD and Ass Greed don't get Switch versions. Those companies know that their audience won't play them on a Switch. 

Sure, but it could also be that there's no way to make those games work on the switch and that they already have an established playerbase on the other consoles so it's not worth it to them to release it to Switch. We'll never know for sure tho. 

32 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't think so. Consoles will continue to exist. Usually companies that offer ecosystems will have dedicated hardware for it for people that want their software and streaming to be seamless. 

Indeed. I really loved how sony made an ecosystem with the ps4, psvr, and vita. They worked well together and it gave you incentive to own all three or at least two of them. 

Do you think people will still be playing on consoles in another 25 years? Why or why not? 

Edited by DoctaMario
3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I really doubt it.

Watching movies and listening music is a passive form of entertainment.

Playing video games is an active one.

It wouldnt matter how much the technology improves, since you will always have the limitations of the medium.

Input Lag due latency, high bandwith requirements to stream the content in high resolutions, packet loses due hicups on the connection, even more so with people playing on Wifi, not owning the content of the service, datcaps, etc, etc.

Just to give you an idea, Playing old school doom 2 on switch is like 192 mb

Play the same game in stadia, for 1 or 2 hours and you are talking about over 10 gbs of video data being streamed.

Is just the most idiotic way to play video games if you ask me 🤣

Valfaris

PS4

$11.24 $24.99 Save 55% with PS PlusOffer ends 3/11/2021

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP5834-CUSA17672_00-VALGPS4DIRESIEA0

Guacamelee! 2 Complete

Drinkbox Studios

PS4

$4.59 $22.99 Save 80%Offer ends 3/11/2021

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP2045-CUSA07098_00-GUAC2COMPLETE000

I really liked Guacamelee 1. Is the second one better?

Edited by AriesWarlock
2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Valfaris

PS4

$11.24 $24.99 Save 55% with PS PlusOffer ends 3/11/2021

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP5834-CUSA17672_00-VALGPS4DIRESIEA0

Guacamelee! 2 Complete

Drinkbox Studios

PS4

$4.59 $22.99 Save 80%Offer ends 3/11/2021

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP2045-CUSA07098_00-GUAC2COMPLETE000

I really liked Guacamelee 1. Is the second one better?

I don't know if I'd say better, but I had a great time with it. Way more challenging for sure. Absolutely worth buying, especially at that price. 

3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I really doubt it.

Watching movies and listening music is a passive form of entertainment.

Playing video games is an active one.

It wouldnt matter how much the technology improves, since you will always have the limitations of the medium.

Input Lag due latency, high bandwith requirements to stream the content in high resolutions, packet loses due hicups on the connection, even more so with people playing on Wifi, not owning the content of the service, datcaps, etc, etc.

Just to give you an idea, Playing old school doom 2 on switch is like 192 mb

Play the same game in stadia, for 1 or 2 hours and you are talking about over 10 gbs of video data being streamed.

Is just the most idiotic way to play video games if you ask me 🤣

Yeah, really the only advantage to that method is not having to have beefy hardware needed for demanding modern games- but I can certainly imagine many scenarios where that would be preferable (ie  low income areas that still have a good internet infrastructure). 

Well, I finished the first run through of Werewolf just now.  Man, that final battle was some mean shit...it took a few tries to finally beat that....and I really only prevailed because of how godlike your Frenzy mode is.... I was able to Frenzy twice during the fight and that 2nd time helped me kill the boss....and even with Frenzy, it took a lot.  

It's also one of those things where you have a pivotal choice about something...I'll have to do another run and see what happens with the other choice. 

Earlier today, on Elder Scrolls Online-- my vamp character got caught trying to feed on someone, since this person turned out to be one of the guards...and I guess you can't feed on them?  Something fucked up and he saw me....I instantly had a bounty, and was then a vampire fugitive on the run. 🤣  I was on one hell of a streak after that though... drank probably 20 to 30+ random citizens from various towns.  The animations on that are pretty cool....it's always a cinematic thing, like your character will materialize out of dark smoke right in front of the victim and chow down on that neck... or waves his hands like casting a magic spell at a distance, prompting the blood to flow through.  I'll have to look up how to powerlevel this shit; it's going soooo slow, even though I've been draining tons of random citizens like it's going out of style, and using a swiping claw attack when fighting, since that's one of the vamp skills. 

Retromania is mad iffy so far. I saw the "mash buttons" prompt from 90s arcade games and immediately feared that whoever won lockups was decided by who mashed the hardest, and tested that theory by setting my Hori to Turbo. Now I'm squashing everyone in the lockup. Oh well, the pixel art is impressive at least.

PS5 was delivered yesterday, and I gotta say, the data transfer from my PS4 was the smoothest, fastest, and easiest data transfer I've ever done. It was great, just had both of my consoles plugged in, and 5 minutes later everything I wanted from the PS4 was on my new console. 

Game Stop still thinks that it hasn't sent my order, and my gift cards that were included in the bundle are still missing. Gonna try to contact them today and get those sent. I'm a little hopeful that they'll end up sending the whole bundle again, so I'll have a 2nd console that I can get to someone who's been looking

23 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Speaking of PS5...

https://gadgettendency.com/this-is-a-breakthrough-sony-playstation-5-has-been-adapted-for-mining/

Good thing you got yours, Tubb. They're gonna be even harder to come by now.

Funny thing is I still think a PS3 would probably perform better, and it does not draw Sony's attention. There some unique parts of the PS3's CPU  that is superior to modern CPUs. It's good at waveform functions and certain algorithms that typical Modern AMD and Intel CPUs have difficulty with. 
This would, and it would lead to firmware updates to ether break or make cryoto on the PS5 more difficult 

Funny that  China does not recognize cryptocurrencies as legal tender and the banking system is not accepting cryptocurrencies or providing relevant services.
Meaning you got to trade with someone else online for goods, services, or actual real money. 

Who else other than myself and Tubbs who were able to score a PS5? 

Edited by DarkSakul

The part how the PS3 has an exotic CPU that does certain functions better than most modern consoles is part of the reason we don't get a PS3 emulation/backwards compatibility from Sony yet.

Its functions that later in the future would be easier to off load to a graphics card, and not necessary to keep around in terms of CPU development.
But it makes it trickier to actually emulate. The PS3 is also a 8 core CPU with 7 of those cores for gaming, one just for the OS.