Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

Just now, Sonero said:

I don't think you've read the whole thing. Toi DID ask them directly. He spoke to the TO and got this shit:

I read it.

Like I said, the moment he put it out on the open it was no longer about communicating between them, but to start shit and a dogpile.

He was willing to make them eat shit, but as soon as he starts getting shit thrown at him as well, he is all about my mind can't handle this.

Pure clownshoes.

7 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

He's not obligated to let anyone in.  People have a right to be annoyed.

Yeah, that's the thing. It's just a matter of parity. I don't like it by principle.

But I honestly don't know the full scope of the situation. The rules probably stated what regions were allowed.

Regardless, Spooky doesn't deserve whatever shit Twitter Thots gave him. Dude's been putting in work for the longest time.

Just a messy situation from all sides.

And I reiterate.

If SFV's netcode wasn't so ASS, this wouldn't be a problem. 🤣

12 minutes ago, Volt said:

Yeah, that's the thing. It's just a matter of parity. I don't like it by principle.

But I honestly don't know the full scope of the situation. The rules probably stated what regions were allowed.

Regardless, Spooky doesn't deserve whatever shit Twitter Thots gave him. Dude's been putting in work for the longest time.

Just a messy situation from all sides.

And I reiterate.

If SFV's netcode wasn't so ASS, this wouldn't be a problem. 🤣

It's the FGC. Even if the netcode was good there would be a blow up about something else. There is always a blow up about something.

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

He was willing to make them eat shit, but as soon as he starts getting shit thrown at him as well, he is all about my mind can't handle this.

Pure clownshoes.

This. Ben Simmons-tier bullshit.

Bringing up mental issues just to be appealing makes me sick. If you care so much about your mental health, get the hell outta Twitter.

He isn't trying to act like a victim, wtf? Dude asked the TO a basic ass question, got a bum answer then people piled on him.

Min was an ass for no good reason, DaFeetLee has been an extra ass, everything got sorted out on twitter because that's where people just go to talk about the scene. This shit wouldn't have escalated to where its at if it weren't for some basic communication skills.

3 minutes ago, Sonero said:

He isn't trying to act like a victim, wtf? Dude asked the TO a basic ass question, got a bum answer then people piled on him.

Min was an ass for no good reason, DaFeetLee has been an extra ass, everything got sorted out on twitter because that's where people just go to talk about the scene. This shit wouldn't have escalated to where its at if it weren't for some basic communication skills.

Nah, you can miss me with this part. We know what Twitter is about. It's public and it's open season. Twitter didn't come out last week. Whenever you post on Twitter, you roll the dice on things going out of control. You can't cry fowl when it comes up snake eyes. Is that the way it should be? No. You shouldn't have to lock your doors but you do. Reality isn't' what should be, it's what is.

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

Nah, you can miss me with this part. We know what Twitter is about. It's public and it's open season.

There is literally no other place for the majority of the FGC to discuss things. SRK died, the other place would've been FB and then there would've been random dsicords and then twitter.

Its literally the primary platform to talk about FGC issues. You don't have to like it, but that's how it rolls. Nothing came up snake eyes. TOI didn't do anything different that hasn't happened in the last 8 years with twitter.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

The only reason why it escalated is because idiots decided to make it a a public affair for everyone to see instead of trying to resolve it in private between the pertinent parties.

Even if said parties were lacking on the communication skills, this only became a shitshow because motherfuckers need to vent everything on social media like clowns and then try to claim victimhood if shit doesn't go their way.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Nah, you can miss me with this part. We know what Twitter is about. It's public and it's open season. Twitter didn't come out last week. Whenever you post on Twitter, you roll the dice on things going out of control. You can't cry fowl when it comes up snake eyes. Is that the way it should be? No. You shouldn't have to lock your doors but you do. Reality isn't' what should be, it's what is.

Yeah. I mean I understand the appeal to the masses as a higher authority, but all most of us are hearing is him asking one of the biggest weeklies why they make exceptions for a CPT finalist or whatever but not for every CowboyBootsAkuma in the state.

Like why is Texas so special? It isn't.

But you have a following which will follow you on the weeklies' stream boosting numbers then ok let's talk exceptions.

All I see is a guy didn't like the polite corporate answer he got so he gets a less kind fuck off.

20 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I need to make the switch to VS2 and learn how to use it. 

I think you'd get far with your skill level. Now that you don't lose when you get knocked down. It's a really cool VS. Plus you don't lose if you whiff your special either. You only lose it if a special blocked or you actually pull of the special to special cancel.

You know, seeing all the shit that people are discovering on this patch, makes me wonder why capcom insist to do this kind of thing only when the game is on its way out.
I basically have 0 doubts that SF6 will be lame as fuck on release, its balance will be the typical affair of removing anything remotely interesting, and only when SF7 is announced, Capcom will patch fun into the game.

Unless is a ploy into making people get hype for the "potential" for the upcoming game, like thy did with Ultra, that many people, myself included assumed that it was a peek into what SFV could be.

6 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I think you'd get far with your skill level. Now that you don't lose when you get knocked down. It's a really cool VS. Plus you don't lose if you whiff your special either. You only lose it if a special blocked or you actually pull of the special to special cancel.

I never switch to VS2 because my execution is bad. The fact that half of Alex kit is charge moves make it a bigger pain in the ass. The headbutt and ex flash chop buff should make things easier for me to get cancels. 

1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Yeah. I mean I understand the appeal to the masses as a higher authority, but all most of us are hearing is him asking one of the biggest weeklies why they make exceptions for a CPT finalist or whatever but not for every CowboyBootsAkuma in the state.

Like why is Texas so special? It isn't.

But you have a following which will follow you on the weeklies' stream boosting numbers then ok let's talk exceptions.

All I see is a guy didn't like the polite corporate answer he got so he gets a less kind fuck off.

Might as well say fuck it and invite Daigo.

Connection will be trash, but who cares, let's pump up these numbers!

Even goddamn Smash shot down the idea of floating top players. You can't claim to lock out other regions and have guests from outside as if their Twitch followers are going to send their energy up so the netcode doesn't shit the bed?

bomb spirit GIF

This is nothing but eSports bullshit getting in the way of a tournament because a bunch of entitled hoes want to join in a tournament they know that will be laggy because some CPT big shot got in, so they wanna get in too. They wouldn't be dealing with this mess if they didn't want to play favorites.

You wanna have special guests, there's a format for that, it's called an invitational.

Ehhh, tbh, i don't see a problem if an open online tournament wants to have some spots for especial cases.

Does it suck for other people outside the region that want to be in?

Maybe, but is not Spooky problem tbh.

If they are really salty about it, then they should do their own shit instead of pestering others.

If an open event (offline and online) has the right to limit/ban who gets in, like when open offline regionals limit outside state/country players from entering the event because they wanted to keep it truly regional, then imo is only fair that it also has the right to call shots if it wants to invite an outsider to participate.

We have seen it happen on offline events where organizers at times helped outside the state/country players with multiple things to help boost the event.

Is fair that an online event could do the same.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I never switch to VS2 because my execution is bad.

The vast majority of VS2 stuff I find to be really easy, given that VS2 cancelled specials require zero charge time.  I've actually thought it was his better V-skill for a long while.  

VS1 stuff rarely ever worked for me- even if I was lucky enough to score a Hard Hit, too many of them would be on garbage incidental hits you can't convert from anyway.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Ehhh, tbh, i don't see a problem if an open online tournament wants to have some spots for especial cases.

Does it suck for other people outside the region that want to be in?

Maybe, but is not Spooky problem tbh.

Yes it is. When he started picking and choosing which long distance players could get in, he start making it some shitty cool kids club thing. There's no two ways around it. That wasn't an FGC decision, that's the shitty eSports/Smasher dumb shit.

If those two connections were cool, then there are other TX connections that were bound to be cool too. His TO handled it like shit.  Even more so when he wasn't asked anything in any rude way. DaFeetLee was dumb, Min was dumb and Spooky was probably given the information all fucked up so he GGed prematurely.

If he wanted it to be some weird invitational thing, he could've easily done that. They just chose not to. You want to make weird exceptions, the least you can do is be upfront about it. The problem here is the general attitude about it. Spooky says he can run shit however he wants without question like that? Fine but he is also shitting on a bunch of TX players who would watch and subscribe to him. If those people feel some type of way and question the blatant favoritism, you can't just do that.

That's just silly. He wants to act like he was so mighty and above it for some shit and then get mad that people, and in a rather nice fashion because Spooky was not attacked by any of the TX players, feel something he did was unfair.

If you're doing stuff for the community, then actually listen to the community. You can say you're doing stuff for the community, something brings you a valid point and then you say well fuck you I do what I want. That's dumb.

2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Was talking to @Mattatsuand was going to outline why I think T7 and SFV are the least friendly modern FGs to new players, and that as a result they're bad for the FGC, especially considering that they're the biggest fighting games world wide. He said I should post it here, and he's a homie and I've got mad respect for him, so I'm doing it. Much love, Matt 😘

So I can't get this to go under the spoiler so I'll put it here (Fix your shit, Bee) 

For those that care, I left more or less cause of this, but kinda the opposite? 

Almost all of you are good dude that I like talking to. A few of you are toxic shitlords that made me feel like shit 9/10 times you post. Realized that you booger eating dorks were making this site a net negative for me, so I bounced. Bad apples spoil the bushel, ya know? 

To the good ones, love and respect Keep doing you and being the good people you are. Hit me up on discord if you wanna play something or whatever: KingTubb#6625

IF you think you're one of the people I don't like, you probably are. Run backwards through a field of dicks, you egg-smell, fart-eating, turd-sucking anal sores 🖕 

I'm going spoil it cause I'm still courteous, fuckos. 

Hide contents

Essentially, SFV and T7 do a lot to show you "This is when you do something cool!" right off the bat, but doing the cool thing is locked in the lab. What I'm talking about are crush counters, v-triggers (SFV), and launchers (T7). DISCLAIMER! I think both of these games are really good and can be super fun, just that they aren't welcoming to new players and are failing the FGC as the flagship games. 

So at this point you might be saying "but Tubb, that's the point, show the player the thread! That's what HOOKS people in!"  To which I say, na. It does the opposite. It's demoralizing, there isn't any training wheels, there's no preview! It's essentially as if there was a new batman movie, but they never released a trailer. They release the name and a logo, but not the director, the cast, or even what the batsuit is going to look like. It's as if DC would say "If you want to see how cool this movie is going to be, get your ass to the theater, put in the work." 

Here's where it gets controversial for some of you warm-milk-drinking, pajama-with-footies-wearing, diaper-rash-having babies will start to cry- having a system where mashing rewards players for getting in those situations are a great way to engage a new player and get them hooked. That's right, I'm talking about mother fuckin AUTOCOMBOS!!!!

It feels unbelievably shitty to pick up a new game, realize when to capitalize and do something cool, and then be told by the game to go to school. 

For example, in GoW (2018) if you popped Spartan's Rage and then you didn't feel like it gave you any advantage cause you had to go learn lab it to make it actually useful, people would of called that mechanic garbage. In Spartan's rage, you can hand out stupid damage by fuggin MASHING your ass off. BUT! You can deal more damage by learning your combos, making use of your skills, and learning how to manage your bar and activation. 

Sure, auto combos need to be properly balance and super sub optimal to be properly implemented, but they work with getting people to enjoy a game when they first pick it up. I've seen it first hand. 

There's other games that don't have autocombos that I think do a better job at welcoming newcomers, and that's because they don't have the giant, blinking neon sign that says "DO COOL SHIT NOW" in the game. Also they're fun to mash. The onethat come to mind is SCVI. SCVI feels great to mash, most characters kinda have auto combos (mash horizontal, but they typically aren't true combos and are punishable if you do all the hits) and there's less instances of DO IT NOW!! that are as blatant.   

I can ramble more, but I'm losing steam and don't actually give enough of a shit to keep going. It you can see where I'm coming from, or if you think I'm and dummy more words won't do anything at this point. 

While I get you are coming from with your position regardless T7 and SFV, i do think that not every game needs autocombos or a mechanic like that.

At least not in all of its characters.

They could have easier to use chars, like Ed on SFV (a better implementation of the idea perhaps) so they can still retain the type of gameplay feel, but having the option to ease newcomers into the game.

Like you I think that the most popular games need more time onboarding their new players into their mechanics, something that few games do.

Imo, games need better ways to disguise the learning experience into single player modes, like for example, the RPG mode from GBFVS.

Is a mode that if tweaked in some ways it could be a nice way to introduce players into some basics of the game.

And perhaps give the players some cosmetic rewards (In the games that have them) that serves as motivators and bragging rights for completing specific challenges on said single player modes.

Saying that, the problem is that said modes do take away valuable resource from developing the actual important part of the game.

And it can be cost prohibitive for smaller companies in some cases.

But the thing is, I think that fgs in general require you to have a specific type of mindset for playing them.

You need to be a person that is willing to put time and effort in getting good, and doesn't get discouraged by losing.

Even disguising the learning experience can't change the fact that if you don't have the right mindset, a newcomer will end leaving the game.

Since most people tend to do the following when losing

Either externalize it in that is his/her opponent who is doing something like cheating, spamming or being a tryhard/no life or externalize it in that the game sucks.

Few are the ones that internalize it that is them that are doing something wrong.

And most of those who do this, still end leaving.

You can have all the things needed to make the newcomer experience easy, but most people will still leave.

Either due frustration or because there is other games competing for their attention, and usually said games have more outlets for the players to externalize their loses.

Like OW, where you can see a lot of people still playing it, that have been playing since the beginning, but suck so bad like if they were playing it for the 1st time, simply because the game doesn't encourage them to get good at it to be mildly successful since they have teammates, and systems that mask their suckiness, like the medal system, the fact that their ranked ranks are made in a way where the vast majority who suck are put on gold, etc.

Most if not all fgs can't compete with that.

Even a game as big as MK11, with the backing of WB, cant compete with that.

Even when it adds fluff that helps it make have more casual appeal , like its story mode ends being abandoned because all of that, and some other reasons particular to it.

Is funny how paradoxically is that the games that invest the less into making the newcomers experience that are considered the biggest, lol

And BTW, i now don't really consider SF one of the biggest ones, or at least , the smaller of the biggest ones, since its the one who sold way less when compared to the big ones of this gen, and took waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more time to do it, by the means of sales over the years to entice a purchase.

Outside the fgc, most people, specially the younger ones that didn't grow up with the series in the arcade days don't see SF as a relevant game that want to get into it.

Is funny, because yesterday i was having a conversation with 2 friends that are younger, who got into fgs recently due DBFZ and both have been breaching into other games (mostly asw games), they expressed  0 interest on SFV, despite both having access to my PSN account, with the younger one (talking like 22 yo at most) even saying that is washed lol, and that only boomers like me have an interest on it due growing up with the games, saying that SF as a game is no longer relevant with most players nowdays.

And he is not wrong tbh, if you don't have a person who already plays fgs and is into SF, most young players wouldn't care.

It is why we see capcom trying to put the chars on games with much young appeal, like Fornite, since it brings eyes to the brand and hopefully brings new players.

And is not only for SF, nowdays due the steep competition in other genres, they need to not only make a great 1st impression (something that SFV failed at), but also invest in good marketing to alure players and have a hook, like a brand to ease the introduction.

My friend said that for example, my nephews (10yo and 6yo) only play SF (And SF2 btw, lol) because me and my brother, and their parents (mostly my sister) play fgs and play SF2 on the retro console i made for them, alongside the games they play on the PS3, like DOA5 and Inj1.

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Damn.....guess I'll have to suck it up and use discord. Too many cool people are starting to bounce, so I guess I'll use both. 

Bruh, you are lacking if you don't use Discord now days.

Plenty of good communities that you can access, not only for video games. for example, i am on a dedicated server for progressive music, jazz, etc, and the community is vey cool, we usually arrange listening parties for new albums, or for recommendations either of other users or for the theme of the week, and all thanks to the integrations that the server has with spootify and lastfm.

BTW, for me is quite funny how discord is becoming the go to for most people those days, because, at least for me, is IRC 2.0, yet those people will be intimidated to use IRC, even when both are basically the same now days, lol.

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

As a low tier fighting game player but S+ Tier hermit the thought of consistently using Discord has me feeling like Urien players reading the patch notes. Although, in actuality, I'd just be Luke players reading the patch notes. 😉  Anyway time to get on Discord so I can be.....

Add me when you make your account,

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

rick roll GIF

Edited by Hecatom

If you hit them up while shit is going down, they are not happy. You can't expect them to be Mr Costumer Service.

Nah, that's a trash attitude to have. Not only that, its not an attitude you seen in tournaments for a lot of other shit. Answering questions from players IS part of being a TO. Problem solving IS part of being a TO. Doing a your best so that venues are happy with you there and people don't do wack shit is part of the job etc.

I've been to a lot of tournaments and that's mostly job #1 of being a TO: give players the proper information, make sure things are running properly.

10 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Was talking to @Mattatsuand was going to outline why I think T7 and SFV are the least friendly modern FGs to new players, and that as a result they're bad for the FGC, especially considering that they're the biggest fighting games world wide. He said I should post it here, and he's a homie and I've got mad respect for him, so I'm doing it. Much love, Matt 😘

So I can't get this to go under the spoiler so I'll put it here (Fix your shit, Bee) 

For those that care, I left more or less cause of this, but kinda the opposite? 

Almost all of you are good dude that I like talking to. A few of you are toxic shitlords that made me feel like shit 9/10 times you post. Realized that you booger eating dorks were making this site a net negative for me, so I bounced. Bad apples spoil the bushel, ya know? 

To the good ones, love and respect Keep doing you and being the good people you are. Hit me up on discord if you wanna play something or whatever: KingTubb#6625

IF you think you're one of the people I don't like, you probably are. Run backwards through a field of dicks, you egg-smell, fart-eating, turd-sucking anal sores 🖕 

I'm going spoil it cause I'm still courteous, fuckos. 

Reveal hidden contents

Essentially, SFV and T7 do a lot to show you "This is when you do something cool!" right off the bat, but doing the cool thing is locked in the lab. What I'm talking about are crush counters, v-triggers (SFV), and launchers (T7). DISCLAIMER! I think both of these games are really good and can be super fun, just that they aren't welcoming to new players and are failing the FGC as the flagship games. 

So at this point you might be saying "but Tubb, that's the point, show the player the thread! That's what HOOKS people in!"  To which I say, na. It does the opposite. It's demoralizing, there isn't any training wheels, there's no preview! It's essentially as if there was a new batman movie, but they never released a trailer. They release the name and a logo, but not the director, the cast, or even what the batsuit is going to look like. It's as if DC would say "If you want to see how cool this movie is going to be, get your ass to the theater, put in the work." 

Here's where it gets controversial for some of you warm-milk-drinking, pajama-with-footies-wearing, diaper-rash-having babies will start to cry- having a system where mashing rewards players for getting in those situations are a great way to engage a new player and get them hooked. That's right, I'm talking about mother fuckin AUTOCOMBOS!!!!

It feels unbelievably shitty to pick up a new game, realize when to capitalize and do something cool, and then be told by the game to go to school. 

For example, in GoW (2018) if you popped Spartan's Rage and then you didn't feel like it gave you any advantage cause you had to go learn lab it to make it actually useful, people would of called that mechanic garbage. In Spartan's rage, you can hand out stupid damage by fuggin MASHING your ass off. BUT! You can deal more damage by learning your combos, making use of your skills, and learning how to manage your bar and activation. 

Sure, auto combos need to be properly balance and super sub optimal to be properly implemented, but they work with getting people to enjoy a game when they first pick it up. I've seen it first hand. 

There's other games that don't have autocombos that I think do a better job at welcoming newcomers, and that's because they don't have the giant, blinking neon sign that says "DO COOL SHIT NOW" in the game. Also they're fun to mash. The onethat come to mind is SCVI. SCVI feels great to mash, most characters kinda have auto combos (mash horizontal, but they typically aren't true combos and are punishable if you do all the hits) and there's less instances of DO IT NOW!! that are as blatant.   

I can ramble more, but I'm losing steam and don't actually give enough of a shit to keep going. It you can see where I'm coming from, or if you think I'm and dummy more words won't do anything at this point. 

I pretty much agree with what hecatom said, the 1v1 nature of fgs makes it impossible for them to be truly welcoming to everyone. Not to mention most fg players are the kind of people who enjoy taking apart esoteric things. Actually the more I think about it, the drive to want to figure out arbitrary bullshit is what makes a fg player lol

I've been pretty vocal about my appreciation for modern games that simplify things like strive and lumina, but that's only because the adjustments they made mostly made sense to me and there is still enough of what I appreciate about fighting games there for me to enjoy. Don't get it wrong I'm still a weirdo who wants to lab shit and flex knowledge on people, I just don't mind what's been taken away. That's also why I don't go out of my way to put down people who don't like these games because I do understand where they're coming from, they're weirdos like me but unlike me these games are not doing it for them 

The real problem with fighting games is they're games for weirdos who get off on studying shit that doesn't matter and if you lower the amount of that in a game too much the weirdos don't care anymore. Some people feel like we're already there, I don't think so but I'm not going to act like that's not the direction we're heading. My point is this genre walks a really thin line and that's probably why it'll always be small time in the grand scheme of games people want to play. But I'm ok with that tbh, because the weirdos are the fg people I like the most anyway

3 hours ago, Mattatsu said:
It’s nuts that you get full resources for being attacked for 60 seconds, while barely landing a hit yourself lol

I actually 

A)  Don't have really a problem with it, because it took 60+ seconds of a beating, plus the comeback itself still required 2 mistakes from the opponent/2 good decisions from the Abigail player, and it actually required some skill to pull out.

B) Think it was hype and i am sure i would have been OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH during the whole affair if it was on a tournament and even simple local gathering setting, lol.

4 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

It’s

It's working as intended and what was intended sucks massive fat dicks.

Daigo likes using EX booms in a lot of situations he should start saving for super.  This game would be leagues better if you could kill with normal chop damage. But you can't so here we are.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

I actually 

A)  Don't have really a problem with it, because it took 60+ seconds of a beating, plus the comeback itself still required 2 mistakes from the opponent/2 good decisions from the Abigail player, and it actually required some skill to pull out.

B) Think it was hype and i am sure i would have been OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH during the whole affair if it was on a tournament and even simple local gathering setting, lol.

I don’t have a problem with come back really (definitely a lot of skill and good decisions involved). Just surprised a dude can get a full stock of super and three V-meter bars, by taking a beating and only landing two cr.LPs

Edited by Mattatsu