Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Diablo -- heh, yep... I made that 2nd seasonal character and with Gem of Ease... he went from level 1 to 50-something in 1 rift... I was at level 40 something in less than 2 minutes 😆 I've never seen another game where power-leveling can go this fast, at least via legitimate means.  It's so easy because besides that gem... all your characters have access to the same gold and crafting materials, the same leveled up vendors, your paragon leveled power, and the same Kanai Cube powers that have been unlocked.... so right at level 1 on your next characters you have a godlike starting point immediately.

*edit---yep, already level 70, just like that.

Edited by MillionX

Devs talk about Bayo 3's origins, say they are indebted to Nintendo

https://nintendoeverything.com/bayonetta-3-origins-hideki-kamiya-platinumgames/

They started preproduction and planning shortly after Scalebound got cancelled.  This doesn't exactly say this but I get the sense that when Scalebound fell through that Platinum may have been in a shaky spot.  I'm hoping Bayo 3 gets the success it deserves.

4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Beat Bayonetta 3. That was a bold ending. 

pixel art 8bit GIF

Certainly. 

As a super-fan of the first two, this was about as batshit silly as anything I would have expected, but still didn't make much sense. At least the second game tied the world in all together. Part 3 was hyper-predictable despite how crazy it was. Overall, it just felt like  a combination of "this is what's hot in the streets" and "reasons".

. . . but who gets Bayonetta for the story.

Combat in this one feels a bit simpler from the first two. Something that I missed was the ability to change weapon sets for hands and feet. I felt that it was the thing that separated Bayonetta from all the other extreme combat titles. The summoning element was good about 75% of the time. The other 25% the camera got in the way. It also does a weird selection element in terms of prioritizing enemies. The biggest foe was the one the game would select at lock-on and you would have to actively force it to the enemy you want. 

The new playable character is cool and I liked playing her sections and loved the witch time mechanic. However, her voice actor was way too cheesy with some of the delivery.    

I am still puzzled as to how Bayonetta 2 just looks a whole lot better than this game (color and performance wise). 

Overall, I liked it, but it wasn't the "demand you buy the console to play it" title that I was hoping for. I may have to play it more often, but right now it's the third ranked title in the set (primarily due to the combat). This felt like it took a step forward but two steps back (both in the narrative and some of the features that differentiate it from the competition).  I am still interested to see where the series goes from here though. 

Minor gripe - Gunchuks are still missing 😢

Grade - B+

Bayonetta Rank  - 2, 1, 3

Edited by OPTIMUS124
8 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Overall, I liked it, but it wasn't the "demand you buy the console to play it" title that I was hoping for. I may have to play it more often, but right now it's the third ranked title in the set (primarily due to the combat). This felt like it took a step forward but two steps back (both in the narrative and some of the features that differentiate it from the competition).  I am still interested to see where the series goes from here though. 

How was the voice acting in it? I heard they got someone new for Bayo.

Honestly I think Jen Hale nailed it. Yea she sound sa bit different but she has all the sass and snark and charm, and I think she shows more emotional range then Taylor really ever managed to. Taylor tended tp be weakest any time Bayonetta had to show emotion that wasn't cocky sassy slay bitch, Jen gets that down and the emotional moments. 

I think she did really good. 

People have been hit or miss on Violas voice but I actually really like it, it's fits her goth/punk aesthetic while jiving with her goofy and bad luck nature. She's a fusion of two very specific characters and I think it comes through in her personality really well. 

Edit:  Oh another thing about Hale that I doubt Taylor could have done is that all the Alt Universe Bayonettas have their own unique voice characteristics. Like Pop Star Bayo sounds Welsh, Paris Bayo sounds French, Chinese Bayo sounds like a heavy smoker. 

She gave them all unique vocal characteristics and I'm really not sure Taylor has the acting chops to pull that off 

Edited by RSG3

@RSG3I'm sure Taylor couldn't have pulled that off. Her Bayonetta voice is literally just her voice. Hale is arguably the best in the business. Taylor fumbling the bag was to the games benefit. As for Viola, I know why some people are put off by her, but her VA's performance was dead on for the character. As you said, she supposed to have a characteristics of two characters and I feel she did that well.

Spoiler

Thinking on our PMs about the game. I just thought of something rather obvious in hindsight. She essentially has a Devil Trigger. The Vergil comparison in gameplay was obvious from the jump but the "Devil Trigger" didn't dawn on me until now.

29 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@RSG3I'm sure Taylor couldn't have pulled that off. Her Bayonetta voice is literally just her voice. Hale is arguably the best in the business. Taylor fumbling the bag was to the games benefit. As for Viola, I know why some people are put off by her, but her VA's performance was dead on for the character. As you said, she supposed to have a characteristics of two characters and I feel she did that well.

Hide contents

Thinking on our PMs about the game. I just thought of something rather obvious in hindsight. She essentially has a Devil Trigger. The Vergil comparison in gameplay was obvious from the jump but the "Devil Trigger" didn't dawn on me until now.

Spoiler

Yes man she DTs and goes HAM. I haven't gotten to mess with it too much but it doesn't seem like there's much to it other then mashing attack and watching all the pretty lights unfortunately. Honestly the transforming while doing Wicked Weaves almost feels like a DMC1 reference where Dante only took his Demon Form when doing an attack while DTed. Otherwise he just glowed with demon power. That feels very DMC1 to me and I dig it. She has so many awesome Demon Forms in the game. 

I need to find a bunch more of the Umbran Tears. They unlock bonus fights and unlocks, I've already gotten to sample a weapon from a previous game. I've fought a Bayo 1 boss in one of the bonus chapters. Also was dope since I had Bayo 1&2 save data I got to buy Scarborough Fair and Love is Blue early. 

Edited by RSG3
19 minutes ago, RSG3 said:
  Hide contents

Yes man she DTs and goes HAM. I haven't gotten to mess with it too much but it doesn't seem like there's much to it other then mashing attack and watching all the pretty lights unfortunately. Honestly the transforming while doing Wicked Weaves almost feels like a DMC1 reference where Dante only took his Demon Form when doing an attack while DTed. Otherwise he just glowed with demon power. That feels very DMC1 to me and I dig it. She has so many awesome Demon Forms in the game. 

I need to find a bunch more of the Umbran Tears. They unlock bonus fights and unlocks, I've already gotten to sample a weapon from a previous game. I've fought a Bayo 1 boss in one of the bonus chapters. Also was dope since I had Bayo 1&2 save data I got to buy Scarborough Fair and Love is Blue early. 

Yeah the early unlocks for the Bayo 1 and 2 save data was nice. I've missed so much. I'm so bad at the game it isn't funny. I need to go back and catch all the cats, ravens, and frogs.

8 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah the early unlocks for the Bayo 1 and 2 save data was nice. I've missed so much. I'm so bad at the game it isn't funny. I need to go back and catch all the cats, ravens, and frogs.

I'm in the same boat, I missed almost all of them. Hell half the time I found them I couldn't manage to catch the Cat or the Bird and had to move on. It's cool tho it gives me something to do while I hunt down my Platinum Medals anyway. Them using the Ranking System from Astral Chain is such a nice update I'm so happy to see it. It just recording your best Medals and updating them when you do better is just so fucking *chefs kiss*

Edit: Sorry Sonichuman, this time you're just too slow man. 

Edited by RSG3
10 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I really wonder where they plan to move the series from here.

Honestly unless this title blows up massively in terms of sales I wouldn't be surprised if they called it the end. Due to relationship of ownership that is between Sega, Platinum and Nintendo over the majority of the series, I don't see it going forward unless Sega starts publishing it again or sells their stake in the IP to either Platinum or Nintendo.

3 hours ago, Chadouken said:

How was the voice acting in it? I heard they got someone new for Bayo.

It occasionally (as in less than 5% of the time) comes off as an impression, but that's only because there are some subtle nuances between the two. If Hale comes back again to voice the character in another game or media, she'll be fine going forward. 

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Hide contents

With Viola, it was occasionally the delivery. Her "ORAORA" move sounded silly. 

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Oh yes, those tears are delicious (especially for Chapter 3)

Spoiler

I got the Alruna pretty early in the game. With the demon equipped, when you fight the Twilight Wolf thing, at full power, you can pretty much just use the root launcher to knock him into the air and make him belly flop. 

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Please do - This is how you unlock some of the weapons now (a worthy change). 

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I'm in the same boat, I missed almost all of them. Hell half the time I found them I couldn't manage to catch the Cat or the Bird and had to move on. It's cool tho it gives me something to do while I hunt down my Platinum Medals anyway. Them using the Ranking System from Astral Chain is such a nice update I'm so happy to see it. It just recording your best Medals and updating them when you do better is just so fucking *chefs kiss*

Edit: Sorry Sonichuman, this time you're just too slow man. 

Agreed on the new scoring setup. Also, I love how you can see the score distribution chart now. 

Also keep in mind that for any ravens or collectibles you miss, you do not need to complete the chapter. You can just grab and go if it saves. 

So far my average across all chapters is gold. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
8 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Blizzard couldn't have given Kiriko something more Culturally relevant? She could have made a fine onryō, yuki-onna, Kuchisake-onna. They had so many better options than a generic witch.

I think that is because D.Va has a skin that can be considered to overlap with those ideas

OVR_Presskit_HalloweenTerror2020_005.0.j

I know is not the same, but perhaps they thought it was very similarish.

Which btw, I think that with the connection with a kitsune spirit, and being a miko, the idea of this skin would have been better suited for Kiriko, but alas, she didn't exist by that point...

Another thing is that since the event has a (thin veiled) narrative, maybe they didn't felt that a yurei or youkai skin would fit with the idea for her being on the hero side of the team.

Edit

IMO, At least for me, they should have given her a magical girl inspired witch costume.

But like Darc said, that requires effort, and Blizzard is beyond that at this point.

Edited by Hecatom
5 hours ago, Wellman said:

Honestly unless this title blows up massively in terms of sales I wouldn't be surprised if they called it the end. Due to relationship of ownership that is between Sega, Platinum and Nintendo over the majority of the series, I don't see it going forward unless Sega starts publishing it again or sells their stake in the IP to either Platinum or Nintendo.

all i really want, hope for, is a dmc bayo crossover action game.

god to have dante and bayo fighting together would be the hypest shit ever.

can something like that ever happen?

think about dante and bayo fighting demons AND angels.

In 2015 Kamiya was already in talks with Capcom, so that saltiness must have passed

As he explains, "I can honestly say that if there’s ever an opportunity, that makes sense for me or the studio, to work with Capcom again I would very much welcome that opportunity. Of all the publishers, not just Japanese publishers or partners, I can say with confidence that Capcom still holds a very, very special place in my heart and I love them dearly. It’s one of my favorite companies."

"And why I say that is because they really helped shape me to who I am today. I spent a long amount of time with them and they helped me grow into who I am. They are one of the few remaining companies in Japan… you know we’ve seen so many other companies being merged and bought out and acquired but they remain the Capcom that they started out as. So seeing that strength and power that still is Capcom today is very reassuring. And it shows the confidence, it shows the love and passion of what they do. So I really do welcome the opportunity to work with Capcom again."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/08/12/hideki-kamiya-is-happy-to-work-with-capcom-again/?sh=7901e2cb1a7c

I also remember some newerr articles with Kamiya talking about working with Capcom.

14 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I don't know man, they put a lot of effort into monetization... 👀

Dunno man.

Imo effort would have been something that tried to maintain the masquerade of being fair to the player, so everyone feels motivated to put money into it at some point.

As it it is no one likes it 🤣

Specially when you consider that other games at least lets you get enough currency with the battle pass to buy it again with what you got with it.

Take for example Yugi Master Duel.

You can get every month the equivalent of at least $50 by playing for free, by playing the events.

And by doing the dailies in a 1 weeks you get enough to buy the battle pass.

With Knockout City you can get every month's battle pass with what you make by just playing the game. And you will still have enough to buy any cosmetics you want because they are monetized in a way that feels fair to you.

Even Fortinte with its overpriced skins lets you to earn free vbucks to buy skins on monthly basis, and the battle pass gives you the same amount of vbucks back, so you can buy the next one again.

1 hour ago, VirginDefiler said:

all i really want, hope for, is a dmc bayo crossover action game.

god to have dante and bayo fighting together would be the hypest shit ever.

can something like that ever happen?

think about dante and bayo fighting demons AND angels.

It is possible, but it will take the right people in charge to get it done. Although it will be interesting would Capcom handle things or let Platinum do it. 

i want dante to fall in love with bayo. then bayo says i'll marry u only if u beat me, therefore bayo final boss. keep in mind she is also your playable character in alternate chapters. 20 chapter game. 

and then right before he beats her...

vergil cockblocks and says "nooooo! my bro doesnt like girls, hes still a virgin. he has to stay that way."

then dante go back goes back to fighting vergil in hell, but thats in the credits roll after u beat the game cut scene.

lol