Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

16 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

Anyone have or used the Hori Split Pad Pro on Switch? I'd like to get an alternative for my JoyCons when I can't always take my 8bitdo with me.

I have them. I recommend them to anyone who regularly uses their switch as a portable. Hori took a pro controller and cut in half. It feels that good. Keep in mind they only work in portable mode.

From the vids I've looked at so far it looks like the most work went into San Andreas.  The other games vary in quality graphic wise from console to console but there' s some definite questionable stuff especially from what I've seen with the Switch version.  San Andreas has self shadows on the objects in the game and is a more detailed game than the first 2 but for some reason 3 and Vice on the switch don't have self shadows on objects and it's weird AF to me.  I don't understand why the biggest game of the 3 with the most detail has that but the other 2 with less don't.  It's something I noticed when watching RGT talk about the game.  Game doesn't look like it runs horrible or but there's some weird graphical decisons for the games for the Switch version.  I'm probably still going to scoop since the game seems to run ok performance wise but I'm waiting to hear from DF before fully committing.

14 hours ago, RegH81 said:

Anyone have or used the Hori Split Pad Pro on Switch? I'd like to get an alternative for my JoyCons when I can't always take my 8bitdo with me.

I have a pair. I took mine with me on vacation in July when I went to Florida, and they stayed attached pretty much the whole trip. Them shits are comfortable for anyone with normal size hands and above.

AALLLLRIIIGHHT...NPD for October 2021 just dropped.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/11/12/october-2021-npd-switch-oled/

https://venturebeat.com/2021/11/12/october-2021-npd-far-cry-and-metroid-rocket-industry-sales-up-16/

For Hardware, Switch gave the throne away for 1 month and then took it back completely the following month.  Switch was the best selling hardware for both units and dollars which was aided by OLED's launch.  PS5 still is top in best selling platform year to date for dollar amount while Switch is leading in units year to date.

Software highlights:  First will get the thing that me and a few others have been waiting to hear about.  Dread placed #3 for the month overall and placed #1 on the Switch boards which you'll see below.  Dread has the highsts launch month sales of any Metroid franchise release in tracked history.  The throne was previously held by Metroid Prime.  This is just the beginning sales though but it's off to a good start!  The 2 games that stopped Metroid from taking top spot were Far Cry 6 and Back 4 Blood.

Software numbers

Top 20 for the month: Far Cry 6, Back 4 Blood, Metroid Dread, Dat Madden 22, Demon Slayer (oh wow..was not expecting this and at no. 5?), FIFA 22, Guardians of the Galaxy (nice!), Mario Party Superstars  (nice!), NHL 22, NBA 2K22, MK8D, CoD Blops CW, GoTsu, Smash Ult, ACNH, Minecraft, Miles Morales, Diablo II (quite a drop but still top 20), MK11 (this game really has some legs on it...guess it also helps that NRS hasn't announced whatever new game they're working on yet), LoZ BotW

Top 10 Year to date: CoD Blops CW, Dat Madden 22, MLB 21, RE: Village, SM3DW+BF, Miles Morales, MK8D, Far Cry 6  (not bad since it just releeased), Minecraft, Ass Creed: Valhalla

Top 10 rolling 12 months:  CoD Blops: CW, Ass Creed: Valhalla, Miles Morales, Dat Madden 22, MK8D, ACNH, Dat Madden 21, Minecraft, MLB 21, RE Village

Top 10 Switch: Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstarts, MK8D, Smash Ult, ACNH, LoZ: BotW, Pokemon Sw/Sh, SM3DW+BF, Minecraft, NSMBUD

Top 10 Playstation: Far Cry 6, Back 4 Blood, Dat Madden 22, FIFA 22, Demon Slayer, Gaurdians of the Galaxy, NHL 22, NBA 2K22, GoTsu, Miles Morales

Top 10 Xbox: Far Cry 6, Back 4 Blood, Dat Madden 22, FIFA 22, Demon Slayer, NHL 22, CoD Blops CW, Guardians of Galaxy, NBA 2K22, CoD: MW 2019

Edited by Sonichuman

Metroid Dread---the Hard Mode adventures...

ok, that damn soldier on Hard mode is borderline unstoppable man.... any little mistake at any point, you may as well put the controller down because it's OVER, and there is no "comeback".   I've died probably 30+ times to this dude.  In Normal mode he was mildly annoying at best but this is ridiculous.  If you're ready for the parry but it's the red slash move instead (which is most of the time) then that's it you're getting hit, and of course on Hard mode you can't really afford to get hit.  It seems like you have to already be in the process of jumping over and dashing on that immediate moment you see it's the red hit....if you waited less than half a second late on this you're guaranteed to get fucked up by that.

I don't even bother with the lower area anymore...seems like it's even easier to get hit by him on the lower area of the screen....the lower right in particular is like a death trap, imo, since the "hitbox" on that is whatever hemisphere of the world he's looking at.  Yes, folks...if this dude is looking at Africa and does the red hit slash, the entire continent is fucked.

damn...almost had him that time, probably....got 2 parries in, and constantly lighting him up with regular shots (I figured the high rate of fire is better, perhaps?  I still mix it up with missiles here and there)

Edited by MillionX
6 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Damn....I feel for GTA fans....

Yeah I was just about to post an article that collects all the complaints including that video

https://www.ign.com/articles/gta-trilogy-rough-launch-graphics-remaster-offline

Yeeeesh...

Edit:  This is feeling like Sonic Colors Ultimate all over again cept on  slightly worse scale.

Edited by Sonichuman
10 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Yeah I was just about to post an article that collects all the complaints including that video

https://www.ign.com/articles/gta-trilogy-rough-launch-graphics-remaster-offline

Yeeeesh...

Edit:  This is feeling like Sonic Colors Ultimate all over again cept on  slightly worse scale.

It's worse. For as much shit as EA deservedly gets, they didn't pull the original versions of the ME Trilogy and threaten modders of those games with legal action prior to Legendary Edition's launch. Rockstar did because they knew their collection would be shit. While I personally found LE disappointing, its a good way for console players to experience the ME Trilogy. It's not a glitchy unstable shit show. Worse, given Take Two's attitude, you can't  even count on fans to fix the issues in the PC version themselves.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

This is feeling like Sonic Colors Ultimate all over again cept on  slightly worse scale.

Rockstar, much like Sega with SCU, left the task to someone else instead of doing this themselves. This time it was Grove Street Games, a company that has only worked for mobile ports, to work on this collection. Current theory is that since GTA5 next gen  got delayed, they rushed this out to make up for any potential loss.

Edited by BornWinner

Metroid Dread---

aha! FINALLY I beat this son of a bitch! BRUH!

excited pumped up GIF by WWE

damn right I clipped that shit too... it only took 8 billion tries

edit---upper left side of the room is the good spot... that last time I got into that Ultra Instinct mode of focus on dodging the shit perfectly, and waiting on my chance to counter.  If you mess up in the slightest way it's over for ya.  The fight is that serious.

Edited by MillionX
5 hours ago, MillionX said:

Metroid Dread---the Hard Mode adventures...

ok, that damn soldier on Hard mode is borderline unstoppable man.... any little mistake at any point, you may as well put the controller down because it's OVER, and there is no "comeback".   I've died probably 30+ times to this dude.  In Normal mode he was mildly annoying at best but this is ridiculous.  If you're ready for the parry but it's the red slash move instead (which is most of the time) then that's it you're getting hit, and of course on Hard mode you can't really afford to get hit.  It seems like you have to already be in the process of jumping over and dashing on that immediate moment you see it's the red hit....if you waited less than half a second late on this you're guaranteed to get fucked up by that.

I don't even bother with the lower area anymore...seems like it's even easier to get hit by him on the lower area of the screen....the lower right in particular is like a death trap, imo, since the "hitbox" on that is whatever hemisphere of the world he's looking at.  Yes, folks...if this dude is looking at Africa and does the red hit slash, the entire continent is fucked.

damn...almost had him that time, probably....got 2 parries in, and constantly lighting him up with regular shots (I figured the high rate of fire is better, perhaps?  I still mix it up with missiles here and there)

That description of the hit box for that move they do is pretty apt.   If you're in front of him and you hesitate at all because you're looking for the counter and it isn't then you might as just except the fact that you're going to eat it.  Doesn't matter if you've jumped on the platform to the side to try to not get hit either, you'll STILL get hit.  Its like like trying to jump over over Trunk's Change the Future move from DBFZ.  Just a mass of hit boxes.

The adventures continue on Metroid... I made it to Elun at this point and got the super missile.  I've gotten a bit better at the shine-sparking thing at this point.

It would be nice to have some alternate skins for Samus here; like that armor she's in during the final sequence of the game...I'd like a variety of colors to pick from as well.  Well, in today's era, most companies would be thinking of that as extra $$$ via the microtransactions.  Remember those good ol' days when stuff like that would just be an unlockable bonus for beating Hard mode, or some other challenges in a game?  Heh, yeah those were good times....a shame that concept is gone forever at this point.

Skyrim---I really hate that I have to do this, but I see no other way so far other than the long trip back to wherever that standing stone is to get that ultra OP "raise dead" once-a-day ability (then rounding up a few giants and various other creatures and hoping they make the trip back with me)... I'm going to have to... cure my character's vampirism to even have a chance at defeating Alduin 😞 ...yeah, it hurts my soul to even say those words.  In RPGs especially, there's always a "correct" and incorrect way of defeating certain things and situations... and it looks like you just cannot afford to be a vamp while fighting Alduin.  The increased weakness to fire attacks is just too damn much. (*I'd also still rather do this without the benefit of mods; I know there's a billion mods for this game that let you do nearly anything....they also happen to disable achievements as well, and I'd rather not "cheat" my way through this anyway.)

Edited by MillionX

Bruh it's unbelievable how much of a blowup the GTA "remasters" are

EVERYTHING is fucked up

- boats are faster

- car handling is different

- swimming is faster

- air vehicle controls are messed up on PC

- the rain effect is a screen space overlay which can show up even when you're standing under a roof

- character models are all terrible (e.g. Rosenberg in vice city, Asuka being crosseyed in III, Pulaski in San Andreas)

- all the classic glitches and bugs are left unchanged and some even were brought over from the mobile versions

- consoles and PCs alike are suffering perfomance issues even on top end systems

- the graphics are in general just shit save for higher res textures on the buildings, cars and weapons

- intro cutscenes in SA and III have massive framerate drops

and more

all of this on top of the other drama like the incompetent devs leaving vital internal files that are now leaked all over the internet, server issues meaning paying customers could not access the games they paid for throughout the 72-hour period after "launch", and issuing DMCA takedows to fanmade mods that not only improve the original PC versions from two decades ago but are also clearly doing a better job than these hacks

it's kind of hilarious how the PS2 versions from the 2000's are arguably still the best way to play all 5 games 

ha, it's a good thing for me that I no longer have an interest in the GTA franchise.  It was immediately a lesser product imo once Saint's Row became a thing back around '06 or '07.  Man, it's like going back to play a re-release of Karate Champ all these years later when we've had multiple entries in the Street Fighter, MK and Tekken franchises (+ countless other fighting genre options) in the decades since the Karate Champ era.  That example is a bit extreme but yeah.  It does bring a sadistic smile to my face to see them getting roasted big time over this pathetic, amazingly half-ass nonsense.  

ooohhhh shit some behind the scenes Diablo 3 dirt?!? 

(*some spoilers here, even though no one really cares about Diablo lore that much aside from me)

ah, dammit that wasn't quite as juicy as I was hoping, really.

Edited by MillionX

heh, the saga continues

🤣 that "no shoulders" dude in the green sweater gets me every time.

edit---meanwhile in Metroid Dread---I got to the double-Robo Chozo Soldier fight... this was oddly enough easier for me than that 1 Robo-Chozo fight that killed me a thousand times earlier... for one, it's in a bigger area so there's more room for Samus to run around and dodge all that shit, even though there's 2 of those guys.  Also, I have the precious gravity suit, space-jump and freeze missiles now.... OP status reached....but next up is the fight with that giant creature that I remember was one of the toughest fights on my first run through on Normal.

Actually, thinking about how all the fights rank at this point... that solo Robo-Chozo Soldier is about the toughest shit in the game, imo....it's right up there with the final boss, I'd say....and the giant creature ("Experiment-"something) is a close 2nd place.

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, MillionX said:

heh, the saga continues

🤣 that "no shoulders" dude in the green sweater gets me every time.

edit---meanwhile in Metroid Dread---I got to the double-Robo Chozo Soldier fight... this was oddly enough easier for me than that 1 Robo-Chozo fight that killed me a thousand times earlier... for one, it's in a bigger area so there's more room for Samus to run around and dodge all that shit, even though there's 2 of those guys.  Also, I have the precious gravity suit, space-jump and freeze missiles now.... OP status reached....but next up is the fight with that giant creature that I remember was one of the toughest fights on my first run through on Normal.

Actually, thinking about how all the fights rank at this point... that solo Robo-Chozo Soldier is about the toughest shit in the game, imo....it's right up there with the final boss, I'd say....and the giant creature ("Experiment-"something) is a close 2nd place.

I fear for RDR1 Remastered!!!

College Football GIF by izzyjames