Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

18 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

These game award nominations make my head hurt. Four of the six for best action game are shooters, Monster Hunter is not an RPG but nominated in that category, Nick will probably win best fighter because lol smash wins. Who the fuck picks these games?

Bravely Default 2 not getting when Cyberpunk and MHR getting in annoys me. It's one thing to not make it, it's another when you get bumped by a game that shouldn't be nominated and another that isn't in the genre. MHR should have been in the GOTY over RE8 imo. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
19 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Yeah, but so does Madden.  So is Madden is fighting game too? 👀

I am positive that Madden and all sports simulation games are considered Sports RPGs at this point. You have to watch stats, can craft unique teams, more often then not create a character, recent games have open hub worlds or story modes ad well. RPG as fuck more so then Monster Hunter or most Souls/Borne games.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

I always ignore everything related to content creators

The content creators category is a huge joke for having Dream, a guy that has been proven to cheat on his speedruns, as a nominee. Also the fact that the category is just filled with streamers and nothing like GameXplain, Digital Foundry, or others makes it extremely stupid. Just ended up voting for Ibai because while I don’t know him, he’s the guy in this gif.

spacer.png

42 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

The content creators category is a huge joke for having Dream, a guy that has been proven to cheat on his speedruns, as a nominee. Also the fact that the category is just filled with streamers and nothing like GameXplain, Digital Foundry, or others makes it extremely stupid. Just ended up voting for Ibai because while I don’t know him, he’s the guy in this gif.

I don't know if they'd be disqualified or not because I'm pretty sure a few of them are probably on the committee for nominees and voting probably.

Edited by Sonichuman
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Bravely Default 2 not getting when Cyberpunk and MHR getting in annoys me. It's one thing to not make it, it's another when you get bumped by a game that shouldn't be nominated and another that isn't in the genre. MHR should have been in the GOTY over RE8 imo. 

I would have dumped It Takes Two for MHR. I'm split between RE8 and Dread. I can't chose

I completely forgot that Bravely Default 2 got released this year.  That's a shame that it didn't at least get nominated.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I skipped the content creator category. I literally knew none of those people. Where was  EvilCanadian's nomination? Not joking, look at how much he's built his channel. For example, If someone knows nothing about KOF, you'd learn a lot from just watching his coverage of it.

He maybe known and big by fgc standards, but compared to other content creators out there he is unknown, if we were to assume that subs count and grow have a factor on it i would say that TrueUnderdawg and Globku to name some examples would have better chances because they have more reach.

The truth is, i assume that is reserved for a certain clique, seeing the type of content creators that get nominated.

We don't see the likes of SkillUp for example getting nomintaed neither, and his channel is one that keeps growing and has a lot of reach.

And personally, i wouldn't vote for Canadian even if he were nominated, seeing how a massive asshole he is, like with the whole dialupsucky fiasco, where not only started beef with him for no reason, but even went to claim that he was faking his health issues, harass him outside the forum and move his fanbase to throw hate at him on youtube, etc.

That and that is a massive bitch to boot, that when he didn't get the validation he was seeking in a discussion with me on another site, for example, went to SRK to try to get it from the people on there, trying to start drama with not avail, all while leaving the context of the discussion with me on the other site.

I give him props for making his channel work, that takes dedication, but as a person, i think he is scum.

Edited by Hecatom

I'm surprised SMTV got nominated. It seems like RPGs releasing on Nintendo platforms usually get the shaft. 

True, I remember they ignored Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and it's expansion DLC . They stated the main game screwed on everything because it was dropped in December despite having a fantastic soundtrack. I mean you can ignore it for best RPG as it's style and features can be a acquired taste but the music deserves recognition and I don't usually fuck with game music much.

3 minutes ago, Wellman said:

True, I remember they ignored Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and it's expansion DLC . They stated the main game screwed on everything because it was dropped in December despite having a fantastic soundtrack. I mean you can ignore it for best RPG as it's style and features can be a acquired taste but the music deserves recognition and I don't usually fuck with game music much.

Don't forget Octopath Traveler's OST getting the shaft too,

oh, I forgot about Giancarlo aka "Dean, Big Brother Almightee!" (School Daze...I always just remember him as that character) ... but Lady D. is hot (in real life too, from what I've seen) so she would win my vote all day every day.  Yep I'm that easy.

On another note... it's a good thing the previous console generation was so good... it makes it "less" annoying that the new systems are borderline impossible to get without jumping thru hoops... just on Switch alone I have a huge # of games (around 85 to 90, last I counted) to get back to at this point; same with XB1; I have a bit over 100 games there.

...random thing---it would be nice if Magician Lord got an updated re-release/remake like Actraiser recently did.  Back then, it was one of the only Neo Geo games I enjoyed playing.  I think it needs a "remaster" treatment, basically with a few new things... in terms of the gameplay, I don't think it has aged well.  I vaguely recall there being a sequel, but even fewer people remember that.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

He maybe known and big by fgc standards, but compared to other content creators out there he is unknown, if we were to assume that subs count and grow have a factor on it i would say that TrueUnderdawg and Globku to name some examples would have better chances because they have more reach.

The truth is, i assume that is reserved for a certain clique, seeing the type of content creators that get nominated.

We don't see the likes of SkillUp for example getting nomintaed neither, and his channel is one that keeps growing and has a lot of reach.

And personally, i wouldn't vote for Canadian even if he were nominated, seeing how a massive asshole he is, like with the whole dialupsucky fiasco, where not only started beef with him for no reason, but even went to claim that he was faking his health issues, harass him outside the forum and move his fanbase to throw hate at him on youtube, etc.

That and that is a massive bitch to boot, that when he didn't get the validation he was seeking in a discussion with me on another site, for example, went to SRK to try to get it from the people on there, trying to start drama with not avail, all while leaving the context of the discussion with me on the other site.

I give him props for making his channel work, that takes dedication, but as a person, i think he is scum.

I can't speak on the full beef between Evil Canadian and Dialupsucky but what I will say is I respect Dialupsucky's work and his contribution to the fgc communities.  The content he puts out is great.  This is going to be followed by a huge however because I spent a lot of time in the general DBFZ section on SRK and I got a huge sense that Dialupsucky has his head WAY UP HIS ASS.  Dude's personality leaves a lot to be desired and I wouldn't be surprised if he got some of that ire based on those interactions with others.  We'd be posting about stuff with no mention of him anywhere and he come out of nowhere with what nearly amounted 'I did this 1 million years ago and you guys should gargle my balls because I'm the shit'.   I was enjoying his content whenever he was posting it and would even post it in there but it got to the point that his personality was shitting up the thread so much that had to give him the "With all due respect go fuck yourself".  I don't know if his personality has changed since then   but judging by the whining complaint videos he put up in the last few months I doubt it, he stopped putting up dbfz stuff so I unsubbed cause I had enough of that in the DBFZ thread.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

I can't speak on the full beef between Evil Canadian and Dialupsucky but what I will say is I respect Dialupsucky's work and his contribution to the fgc communities.  The content he puts out is great.  This is going to be followed by a huge however because I spent a lot of time in the general DBFZ section on SRK and I got a huge sense that Dialupsucky has his head WAY UP HIS ASS.  Dude's personality leaves a lot to be desired and I wouldn't be surprised if he got some of that ire based on those interactions with others.  We'd be posting about stuff with no mention of him anywhere and he come out of nowhere with what nearly amounted 'I did this 1 million years ago and you guys should gargle my balls because I'm the shit'.   I was enjoying his content whenever he was posting it and would even post it in there but it got to the point that his personality was shitting up the thread so much that had to give him the "With all due respect go fuck yourself".  I don't know if his personality has changed since then   but judging by the whining complaint videos he put up in the last few months I doubt it, he stopped putting up dbfz stuff so I unsubbed cause I had enough of that in the DBFZ thread.

Yeah i know, and wouldn't deny that his attitude got progressively worse on that thread, but at the same time, a lot of his lets say toxic behavior started because Canadian started to antagonize him, saying that his tech was stolen and/or he wasnt the one doing the combos, or that everything he did was impractical on the videos, and later got his cheerleaders and dicksuckers to antagonize him as well.

He started to became as assholish as them because of that, and tbh i dont blame him for becoming like that when you have idiots not only saying that you stole the tech, but even go and saying that you are faking your health problems, or that when your tech is proven to be practical, they still find a way to shit on you or say that you didnt find it.

And i know for a fact that Canadian is a petty motherfucker that when he doesnt get it his way, goes and brings the drama to other sites to try to start shit with you there as well, specially if he thinks that he can get people on his side there.

Like i said, he tried to do that with me multiple times on discord, youtube and srk.

He did that with Dial on many discords and on twitter where both of them were.

And the irony is that most of what Canadian does is take tech and info others put on discord and twitter and compile it for his videos, so yeah, the accusations of Dialup stealing tech were some amusing shit coming from him.

I don't say that Dial wasnt an asshole too, but the one who started shit was Canadian, and was the one that kept escalating shit every time he could.

Edited by Hecatom
4 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Yeah i know, and wouldn't deny that his attitude got progressively worse on that thread, but at the same time, a lot of his lets say toxic behavior started because Canadian started to antagonize him, saying that his tech was stolen and/or he wasnt the one doing the combos, or that everything he did was impractical on the videos, and later got his cheerleaders and dicksuckers to antagonize him as well.

He started to became as assholish as them because of that, and tbh i dont blame him for becoming like that when you have idiots not only saying that you stole the tech, but even go and saying that you are faking your health problems, or that when your tech is proven to be practical, they still find a way to shit on you or say that you didnt find it.

And i know for a fact that Canadian is a petty motherfucker that when he doesnt get it his way, goes and brings the drama to other sites to try to start shit with you there as well, specially if he thinks that he can get people on his side there.

Like i said, he tried to do that with me multiple times on discord, youtube and srk.

He did that with Dial on many discords and on twitter where both of them were.

And the irony is that most of what Canadian does is take tech and info others put on discord and twitter and compile it for his videos, so yeah, the accusations of Dialup stealing tech were some amusing shit coming from him.

I don't say that Dial wasnt an asshole too, but the one who started shit was Canadian, and was the one that kept escalating shit every time he could.

I'm aware of most of this since Dial continually aired and complained about it in the thread and he also had some beef with Martian that I'm guessing was also related.  It was just really annoying telling him to chill out when NOBODY was talking about him and we just talking about the game or post up a vid and he'd show up to shit up the thread.  And then it really pissed me off when we had to get a mod involved and the mod even told him to chill out and he decided he was going post a vid on his channel shitting on the mod and saying we were antagonizing him to his stans.  Dude left an extremely sour impression on me for someone who was hailed as a legend.

8 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Oooo....this is interesting.  An ultimatum from the shareholders to the directors in order to put pressure on getting rid of Kotick.  Now they're gonna be staring at each other waiting for the other to blink.  I'm sure Kotick isn't gonna try to wait this out...curious to see how this plays out.

Edited by Sonichuman
16 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Oooo....this is interesting.  An ultimatum from the shareholders to the directors in order to put pressure on getting rid of Kotick.  Now they're gonna be staring at each other waiting for the other to blink.  I'm sure Kotick isn't gonna try to wait this out...curious to see how this plays out.

He should go to prison. 

Edited by RSG3
43 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm aware of most of this since Dial continually aired and complained about it in the thread and he also had some beef with Martian that I'm guessing was also related.  It was just really annoying telling him to chill out when NOBODY was talking about him and we just talking about the game or post up a vid and he'd show up to shit up the thread.  And then it really pissed me off when we had to get a mod involved and the mod even told him to chill out and he decided he was going post a vid on his channel shitting on the mod and saying we were antagonizing him to his stans.  Dude left an extremely sour impression on me for someone who was hailed as a legend.

You know, i never knew why the beef between martian and dial started, but i assume that it was probably because he got tired of the drama, since he wasnt in good terms with Canadian either iirc.

34 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Like if him being out of the CEO position will change anything or would hurt him.

Lets remember that he is one of the mayor shareholders of the company.

The only reason why some shareholders are calling for his head is because the current optics, they don't really care about this nonsense outside of that.

What i am interested is to see how many of the shareholders are supporting this, since he, until recently has been on their favorable side since the company has grown and made more money each year beyond the projections established for each year, and is why they have not really objected until recently about his obscene bonuses and salary.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Should be noted the total shares of the people doing this amount to less than 1% of the total shares, so this means nothing yet unfortunately.

IIRC it was like 4+million shares held by these people versus 400+million total shares, so yeah. I forget the exact numbers but the Washington Post article on the same thing has the numbers

Finally finished Blasphemous.

I'd like to let everybody know that this game actually fucking sucks. Now I've had time to think about this. As far as the genre it is in with other similar 2D adventure games (metroidvanias if you wanna call it that), the exploration aspect of it is easily the shittiest thing. Actually a lot of it is the shittiest thing. This whole game is an incredible amount of bad decisions wrapped up in some wonderful art and lore.

What is it like to play this game:

Imagine that you are dressed up as a Knight for Halloween. You went to work in your outfit. You leave work and decided to hit up a flea market to go buy some silly stuff you may or may not use to decorate your house for the Halloween party at night. When you get to the flea market, the whole place is decorated like a haunted house that's catholic themed. Its is ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY FILLED WITH USELESS SHIT YOU DONT NEED but the place looks cool. Never mind that 99% OF THE ITEMS THERE YOU DONT FUCKING NEED NOR WILL THEY HELP YOUR LIFE but there's some dude dressed like a spooooky catholic cardinal that's also like a zombie so that's nice.

If you want to spend some time finding hundreds of useless things that don't make the game more fun, buy Blasphemous.  You get to explore things to find items that don't help you explore better to then find more items that don't help you explore better. Then you'll do some contrived fetch quest to get an item that'll help you find more useless shit. Then you may find one item that unlocks another tiem that'll finally get you to those few things you couldn't reach....and those things are actually useless as all fuck too.

But hey, there's some cool artwork and spooky lore so it makes it okay.

Edit: To really get my feelings out there, I got the bad ending. I wasn't sure I wanted to finish the game so i checked the endings out. I finished it today because it didn't feel right being at the final boss and not just ending it. So I beat the boss, got the bad ending and went "Good fuck him". And that made me a bit happy because good fuck him and all the people who created a whole ass game world filled with dollar store items. Nah ,dollar stores don't deserve that. I could've spent 20 dollars at one and had more useful shit than most of the items you get in this trash ass game.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Yea Jaffe I think you just might be a bad game designer these days. You've stopped trusting your players to be smart, Miyamoto fell into this trap for a while to.

This was one of the reasons why watching Max play through this game for the first time was fun as he discovered stuff.  To add more context to this for those who don't know, Max actually played Super Metroid for the first time ever without having being spoiled on the game.  Don't know how he managed but he'd never watched a speed run or knew about anything that happened in the game he just new it existed and he pretty much played through the game with very minimal help from the chat.  He just let the game teach him as he went and it was great and he understood why the game and the franchise as a whole was so revered and even more so when he played through Dread with pretty much no help armed with the knowledge from playing Super Metroid just prior.  It makes Jaffe's remarks even more ridiculous.

I'm not gonna go that far to say he's a bad game designer ( I mean...Looking at the games he's directed, his batting average isn't bad...Didn't even know that he was the Designer for Kinetica) but there comes a time that when blaming everything else isn't getting anywhere it might be time to look inward.  And considering his stubborness on this in not just accepting the L and learning from it I don't think he's ready to have that conversation with himself.

well, a free head/face customization popped up in Borderlands 3....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWY05I1FNyZ/

K95BT-B99H9-CX5XH-RTJB3-C6SJX

heh, I got into the game now *just* to get that.... Moze continues to be so much fun that I'm not sure I want to go back to playing my previous main character Zane.  Now I'm putting points into a skill that boosts Iron Bear damage even further... and I recently swapped the left arm missiles out for the option that fires 1 big bomb... it's like shooting a small nuke now....HUGE blast radius and radiation damage there.  Even when Iron Bear loses all its health, I eject BUT it's still on the battlefield, attacking enemies on its own (still with an energy shield up, btw) for a while before exploding.  This character is somethin else, man...just ridiculous 😆

9 hours ago, Sonero said:

Finally finished Blasphemous.

I'd like to let everybody know that this game actually fucking sucks. Now I've had time to think about this. As far as the genre it is in with other similar 2D adventure games (metroidvanias if you wanna call it that), the exploration aspect of it is easily the shittiest thing. Actually a lot of it is the shittiest thing. This whole game is an incredible amount of bad decisions wrapped up in some wonderful art and lore.

What is it like to play this game:

Imagine that you are dressed up as a Knight for Halloween. You went to work in your outfit. You leave work and decided to hit up a flea market to go buy some silly stuff you may or may not use to decorate your house for the Halloween party at night. When you get to the flea market, the whole place is decorated like a haunted house that's catholic themed. Its is ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY FILLED WITH USELESS SHIT YOU DONT NEED but the place looks cool. Never mind that 99% OF THE ITEMS THERE YOU DONT FUCKING NEED NOR WILL THEY HELP YOUR LIFE but there's some dude dressed like a spooooky catholic cardinal that's also like a zombie so that's nice.

If you want to spend some time finding hundreds of useless things that don't make the game more fun, buy Blasphemous.  You get to explore things to find items that don't help you explore better to then find more items that don't help you explore better. Then you'll do some contrived fetch quest to get an item that'll help you find more useless shit. Then you may find one item that unlocks another tiem that'll finally get you to those few things you couldn't reach....and those things are actually useless as all fuck too.

But hey, there's some cool artwork and spooky lore so it makes it okay.

Edit: To really get my feelings out there, I got the bad ending. I wasn't sure I wanted to finish the game so i checked the endings out. I finished it today because it didn't feel right being at the final boss and not just ending it. So I beat the boss, got the bad ending and went "Good fuck him". And that made me a bit happy because good fuck him and all the people who created a whole ass game world filled with dollar store items. Nah ,dollar stores don't deserve that. I could've spent 20 dollars at one and had more useful shit than most of the items you get in this trash ass game.

It's okay to be wrong.