Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Just now, purbeast said:

Looking for some recommendations for games on Switch that I can get for my flights coming up this/next week.  Doesn't have to a Switch exclusive.

I have heard good things about Hades but don't really "get" what kinda game it is.  What does it compare to?   I see it's $20 right now.

Is an isometric action game with procedural elements that mix the stage, weapons and enemy layouts after each death.

The idea is that you unlock new story elements after each death you have, plus other stuff.

Easily one of the best games out there right now.

36 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Not gonna lie, you are one of a hell of a weird guy.

You seem to always arbitrarily apply you standards and criticisms on games.

Like, thinking that SFIV is more technical than umvc3, umvc3 being more easy to read than sfiv, mvc3 not being as busted as hnk because is working as intended, and dbfz having long combos while being ok with shit like mvc3 where is the same or worse at times. 🤣

Cope lol

18 minutes ago, purbeast said:

If I enjoyed Dead Cells is Hades a game kind of similar, obviously from a different perspective, but that style?

Imagine if the combat in the old Zelda games was fun and fast paced.

Then it if it had a crazy amount of fluff and story to it so that even though the game is gameplay driven, there was a lot of great voice acting and story elements that opened up based on how your time playing went.

After that, put yourselves in the shoes of somebody that thinks that Blasphemous was a good games but hadn't played Hades.

Play Hades you flaming coward.

5 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

"Just about everything in this game is perfect.  The controls, the story, and all the characters are lovable.  However main character has too much side boob in her clothes and we can't abide by that so we're awarding this game a 2 outta 10.  We docked it 7.5 points for the side boob" ~ Kotaku more than likely

That sounds like Polygon's Bayonetta 2 review

19 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Fuck it I just bought Hades.

Lemme know if you need pointers.

3 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

So Capcom not so subtle on mentioning that SF6 is underway and there's a possibility we might hear something about it next year.

Luke is saving SF5 AND SF6. Luke is gonna save the FGC from Project L too.

1 hour ago, elliephil said:

It's the same issue I have with dbfz. Combos are long and take forever and I feel like it's missing the fast action of other team games. Like anything could happen at any time and the momentum would shift drastically if players know what they are doing. Just sit in blockstun for a while, oh here comes the part where I get mixed up, okay I blocked it, continue on with the same thing.

Combos can get long in DBFZ but most TOD's in that game don't start from lights and in general it's a 2 touch game if you're optimized and you generally only get TODed if you fuck up really bad.  Like "I'm gonna super dash predictably and get a 2H in my gut canceled into Sparking Blast followed by your choice in death".  Yeah it's a very offensive heavy game but you have options and it's nowhere near the level like the game was previously where if A Gohan touched you at all then you were holding legs for an eternity.  The game is extremely balanced where it is right now.

20 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Hopefully SF6 isn’t an absolute fucking shit show like 5 is

As someone who like SFV, i agree. SFV was in many ways a letdown, and while it is working as intended, it introduced/re-introduced a lot of dumb shit to ensure it.

But most importantly, i hope they learned from the failures of SFV and MVCI in how they launch their games.

Also, lets pray to the anime tiddies gods that they keep the new waifus around, besides, all of them offer new playstyles that will be a shame to see being lost.

Necalli can be forgotten though.

Edited by Hecatom

The massive step backwards that was SF5 online mode (aside from the rollback netcoe, which is another discussion) was just shocking.  The matchmaking and lack of variety in modes and how long it took was just god awful.  Let alone a connection labeled "good" was actually bad than not.  

I will admit though I stopped playing it very early on so if they improved that stuff, good on them.

6 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Yes, I said I wasn't gonna play anymore RPGSs due to lack of time, I lied 🗣️

They always bring us back to the fold no matter what. 

during my month away I played through Voice of Cards, Ni No Kuni, FF9, Dragon Quest 8 and Final Fantasy 4 DS. 

oh, and a friend and I co-op’ed Luigi’s Mansion 3. Which isn’t an RPG but it’s been in my backlog forever and I only played it when he and I would hang out 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Combos can get long in DBFZ but most TOD's in that game don't start from lights and in general it's a 2 touch game if you're optimized and you generally only get TODed if you fuck up really bad.  Like "I'm gonna super dash predictably and get a 2H in my gut canceled into Sparking Blast followed by your choice in death".  Yeah it's a very offensive heavy game but you have options and it's nowhere near the level like the game was previously where if A Gohan touched you at all then you were holding legs for an eternity.  The game is extremely balanced where it is right now.

I don't care about balance. I think it's boring is what I'm saying lol

13 minutes ago, iStu X said:

They always bring us back to the fold no matter what. 

during my month away I played through Voice of Cards, Ni No Kuni, FF9, Dragon Quest 8 and Final Fantasy 4 DS. 

oh, and a friend and I co-op’ed Luigi’s Mansion 3. Which isn’t an RPG but it’s been in my backlog forever and I only played it when he and I would hang out 

My backlog is also ridiculous and here I am still buying shit. I never should've played the demos to those titles now I have to have them🤦🏾‍♂️

6 minutes ago, elliephil said:

One of the only good things DBFZ was watching top 8 at evo in 2018 live. The finals itself outside of GF were so fucking boring and DBFZ is one of the most boring games I’ve seen when it comes to top play but god damn the crowd was so hype. 

it was still no Tekken 7. The stadium exploded when Lil Majin took out JDCR. 

Edited by iStu X
2 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

My backlog is also ridiculous and here I am still buying shit. I never should've played the demos to those titles now I have to have them🤦🏾‍♂️

Did you not notice  how only one of the games I listed is new. 😂

Edited by iStu X
15 minutes ago, iStu X said:

One of the only good things DBFZ was watching top 8 at evo in 2018 live. The finals itself outside of GF were so fucking boring and DBFZ is one of the most boring games I’ve seen when it comes to top play but god damn the crowd was so hype. 

it was still no Tekken 7. The stadium exploded when Lil Majin took out JDCR. 

Sometimes I put on a dbfz stream to help me go to sleep at night lololol

51 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Veedotme already has the vid info on how to get the new stuff in Dead Cells

I need to give dead cells another chance. I couldn't really get into it.

I've done just fine with a lot of roguelikes. But some things about that game just left me uninterested at getting better.

Curse of the Dead Gods has been pretty cool though 

13 hours ago, elliephil said:

I'm at a point where I find games with super long combos less interesting than games with great neutral, because neutral is where all the interesting stuff happens imo. Even games like GGAC+R at a high level, you don't see as many big long combos because the players are so busy trying to get in without giving up an opportunity for an opponent, and if the players are good and really know the matchups, it's fun watching them. 

44 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I'm at a point where I find games with super long combos less interesting than games with great neutral, because neutral is where all the interesting stuff happens imo. Even games like GGAC+R at a high level, you don't see as many big long combos because the players are so busy trying to get in without giving up an opportunity for an opponent, and if the players are good and really know the matchups, it's fun watching them. 

That's exactly how I feel. Combos are cool and fun, but that's only one fraction of what makes a game interesting. Especially with a game like AC that has so many different mechanics and movement options. Chipp is made for psychopaths in AC and it's thrilling trying to watch that little guy keep pushing or just blowing up. 😃

Edited by elliephil

Curse of the Dead Gods is so good...  very addicting, trying to go further and further each run... 

That boss with the storm magic; I'm thinking ranged might be the only way with that one.  It's been the toughest fight so far.  It does HUGE damage and fast...like there's one attack where it focuses a lightning beam on you like "Sith Lightning" from a Star Wars film...if you were already in range then that's it; you're taking around 15 points of damage per second for several "ticks" of the attack....and this is on top of all the other attacks you have to watch out for.  So far I've died to this creature about 4 or 5 times.  The other 2 bosses on the first rung of the ladder weren't that bad though.

Yeah, I may have the pattern down at this point so next 1 or 2 attempts may go differently... just have to stay as far away as possible when it appears he's about to do that "sith lightning" thing, since that shit wrecks your healthbar as the other big storm summons add to the damage.  I don't recall having problems with the other 2 "first tier" bosses, so on those other paths I'm on the 2nd rung of the ladder so far.

oh....well this got so much worse 😆

Edited by MillionX

which upcoming fighting game are you guys more hyped for?

Project L?

or

DNF Duel?

i personally am hyped for Project L.

i think that game will be rock solid in every way.

balance, netcode, character roster. i think that game will exceed expectations.

i have no hope for DNF Duel cuz arcsys hates balance which is why im not interested in that game. no thanks to watching everyone tier whore a few characters and the game becoming boring quickly.

Edited by VirginDefiler
46 minutes ago, VirginDefiler said:

Project L?

or

DNF Duel?

i have no hope for DNF Duel cuz arcsys hates balance which is why im not interested in that game. no thanks to watching everyone tier whore a few characters and the game becoming boring quickly.

The Duel, since i am on the opposite side of you, so far, most of the games of ASW have been good if not great (and even their crappy ones like HnK and SBX have been really fun), and have way more experience than the team behind PL, plus i loved playing Dungeon Fighter back in the day.

Not that i am not interested on PL, but with what they shown and knowing the direction, inspiration and what people are working on it (not the Canons, but the people behind PRBotG, and apparently other MVC3 players), i feel that it will end as a meme game, hopefully fun?, also, i know shit about the LoL characters and world outside hentai/rule34.

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, VirginDefiler said:

Project L?

or

DNF Duel?

im excited about both but realistically DNF will prob be out next year sometime  and project l is looking at late 23 or early 24.

and honestly i don't know if project l is going to have the positive effect on the community that people think it will.  a giant company coming in throwing a lot of money around signing people to exclusive streaming contracts, eventually starting their own league while pulling the game from traditional events while "cleaning up the image of the fgc" by enforcing dress codes or some shit. oh and lets not forget the lol community is far more toxic than the fgc could ever hope to be and filled with the kind of people who cross the street if they saw most members of this forum walking towards them.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I always heard horror stories about how the community went to shit after SF4 dropped in 09

It did. It’s when a lot of the pillars of the FGC showed their true colors and did everything they could to make a quick buck off the community and dip. 

I’m not even talking about Wiz and the Cannons either. TO’s, stick modders, top players, even developers were guilty of it

SF4 was the best and worst thing to happen to the FGC and the negatives are still being felt today. 

Edited by iStu X