Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

1 hour ago, elliephil said:

Not sure where else to ask this, but how many of you like playing Marvel vs Capcom (any of them)? Like at least a few times a month? Just curious.

On this side of the forum, who knows, you have better luck asking on FD, you can always ask @Psychoblue, since iirc like you, he liked Infinite and has people who played with back when everyone dropped it.

So I got back into Resident Evil VIII and played a bit early this morning; I managed to kill 1 of the vampire girls now; it was cool how that fight played out.  I definitely need to keep crafting the shotgun shells, because the handgun is laughably weak... it's like I may as well be shooting a cheap plastic dollar store watergun.  

Guns shouldn't really do anything to vamps anyway though.. the real deal was the fact that some sunlight was coming in through the windows in that room....still, that sunlight + the shotgun blasts seemed to be a great combo that eventually took her out.

It would be nice if this were more free-form in what the player can do... I get the sense that this game always plays out in a very particular, linear way....like there is little to no variation in how 1 player got through an area and kill things compared to everyone else.

10 hours ago, elliephil said:

Not sure where else to ask this, but how many of you like playing Marvel vs Capcom (any of them)? Like at least a few times a month? Just curious.

If I could actually FIND my old copies on working systems Id definitely play them. Tempted to just burn a bootleg copy of Mvc2 for Dreamcast but I'm trynna to give Capcom and Disney some time to come up off that bullshit with a re-release before I do so

man, I always wished I could be as good as the craziness I saw in those old tourney videos, especially with MvC3.  The flashy style of those games were such gorgeous perfection.  I couldn't get enough of it. 

michael fassbender perfection GIF

I remember when MvC2 first hit Live Arcade on 360, and there was that first time I managed to get AHVBx3 on some random victim... it was delicious.

9 hours ago, Hecatom said:

On this side of the forum, who knows, you have better luck asking on FD, you can always ask @Psychoblue, since iirc like you, he liked Infinite and has people who played with back when everyone dropped it.

Heh, I just had a long set with a friend the other day in MVCI.  Such a good game, I even loved the cast and how the characters who were bad in 3 had a second breath to thrive in MVCI (Ghost Rider and Nemesis were far and beyond the biggest beneficiaries of the new system, followed by Rocket Raccoon).  The soundtrack was just abysmal, the weird faces you get used to because you're more focused on what's going on during the battle and the game looks gorgeous on the right monitor.  I really appreciated it when I played it the week it came out on a Kraylix cab. The biggest recurring MVCI events right now are the Gauntlet, the Battlerealm, Mahvelous Meetings (that's my own event), and most recently the ironically named "MVCI is Dead."  

UMVC3 still gets a ton of active play but I was firmly on the KOF13 and later the SFxT train by then.  Look up the most recently UMVC3 mega event "Reflex."  

Edited by Psychoblue
32 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

If I could actually FIND my old copies on working systems Id definitely play them. Tempted to just burn a bootleg copy of Mvc2 for Dreamcast but I'm trynna to give Capcom and Disney some time to come up off that bullshit with a re-release before I do so

Just go grab the latest Fightcade version, it's got rollback now.  

Edited by Psychoblue
3 hours ago, MillionX said:

So I got back into Resident Evil VIII and played a bit early this morning; I managed to kill 1 of the vampire girls now; it was cool how that fight played out.  I definitely need to keep crafting the shotgun shells, because the handgun is laughably weak... it's like I may as well be shooting a cheap plastic dollar store watergun.  

Guns shouldn't really do anything to vamps anyway though.. the real deal was the fact that some sunlight was coming in through the windows in that room....still, that sunlight + the shotgun blasts seemed to be a great combo that eventually took her out.

It would be nice if this were more free-form in what the player can do... I get the sense that this game always plays out in a very particular, linear way....like there is little to no variation in how 1 player got through an area and kill things compared to everyone else.

You will quickly understand how the bosses "health" works ini RE8 lol.

1 hour ago, MillionX said:

Well, another "interactive novel" game for Vampire, for those who are into that sort of thing

I need there to at least be some pictures and animation going on...c'mon, man... we need more real deal videogames (e.g. the recent "Blood Hunt") with this IP.  

Yeah, the problem is the teams that are getting Vampire TM and Werewolf IP, I forgot the exact name for the full franchise are very much smaller or budget studios. Aside from hearing about the original Bloodlines and how fans saved it with mods the only other experience I have with the property is the old Fox tv show Kindred. 

Supposedly Bloodlines 2 is still in development (heh, more like development hell).  I think part of the reason for these types of "games" is that it's a cheap way to keep the name of the IP relevant at the moment, leading into more substantial/major videogames like Blood Hunt, the recent Werewolf action game and the (supposedly) upcoming Bloodlines 2....there's also a "Wraith: the Oblivion" VR game that came out recently, which is from the same "World of Darkness".

I think part of the big mess with B2 is that since the head writer was fired, they probably had to throw out most or all of the stuff he wrote up and the voices; apparently he also did some voice-work as well.

Werewolf was a cool one, btw; my only complaint is that the first mission or 2 is forced stealth... I always prefer stealth to be an option of how to do something in a game.  Fortunately, all other situations after that leave it as an optional thing... if you are noticed by enemies it just means it's time to fight.

Edited by MillionX

I'm not a Battlefield fan, but really...what kind of lazy chumps do we have in the industry these days?  There's really no nice way to say it...but it seems like this kind of half-ass nonsense is sadly becoming the "new normal" in the industry:

haha that glitched out "demonic face" there gets a cheap laugh out of me though; reminds me of that Assassin's Creed game from a few years ago that was a complete trainwreck of glitched faces and other things.

Edited by MillionX

I'm listening to the nominees for The Game Awards and  usually there's always at least ONE game that's in a questionable category.  So...would Monster Hunter really count as an RPG?  I mean you don't really gain 'exp' in the game.  Maybe Action RPG? but I feel that's really stretching the RPG aspect in this since you don't fight things and continually get stronger save through the outfits and weapons you get from the monsters themselves.

Edit: also voting is up now if you want to add your voice to the pot

https://www.thegameawards.com/nominees

or rather it would be if I wasn't getting an error at the moment.  edit: refreshed and it's working

Edited by Sonichuman
41 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

So...would Monster Hunter really count as an RPG?  I mean you don't really gain 'exp' in the game.  Maybe Action RPG?

I would classify Monster Hunter as an action game myself. There isn't any real role playing, stat manipulation, all progress revolves around gear, you can go back to day 1 by equipping day 1 gear. 

This isn't as blatant to me as past entries but yea not the category I would have put it in. 

15 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I would classify Monster Hunter as an action game myself. There isn't any real role playing, stat manipulation, all progress revolves around gear, you can go back to day 1 by equipping day 1 gear. 

This isn't as blatant to me as past entries but yea not the category I would have put it in. 

So I looked around. Monster Hunter Rise is classified as an action rpg, so it still fits the category. Understand why everyone is confused about it though.  Especially when there was a more traditional  Monster Hunter RPG that also released this year with Monster Hunter Stories 2. 

20 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

So I looked around. Monster Hunter Rise is classified as an action rpg, so it still fits the category. Understand why everyone is confused about it though.  Especially when there was a more traditional  Monster Hunter RPG that also released this year with Monster Hunter Stories 2. 

It's really kind of a stretch to classify it as an Action RPG though because of the way the game works.  Action?  As RSG stated, sure.  Can easily see that but the way how you progress and get stronger in the game isn't really quite like anything else in the genre.  You don't get "exp" aside from going towards your hunter rank which the only thing that does is allow you to have access to stronger hunts.  It's not directly related to your strength.  It's kind of like labeling Gears and CoD Shooter RPGs because you get "exp" that goes to your rank but it doesn't directly make you stronger or anything.  That's why I'm saying it's a stretch.    Kinda reminds me of when Miyamoto was trying to label Zelda an RPG during the N64 period when the only game that really had RPG mechanics in the franchise was 2.

Nothing to really dwell on or anything but I just saw it labeled  as that in The Game Awards and it gve me pause as I reviewed what is traditionally considered and in RPGs or Action RPGs and it wasn't lining up so I thought I'd throw this question out there just see if I'm in the minority on this thought.

@SonichumanNah I understand. Don’t really see the MH series as a RPG at all. Not even one like the later Final Fantasy games. But it looks like the official Capcom site calling Rise an action RPG seems to be ground enough to include it in that category. If I had the choice, I would’ve put Neo: The World Ends with You over it. 

Edit: Actually what was I thinking? With how botched Cyberpunk launched, it shouldn’t be in the category at all.

Edited by BornWinner
6 hours ago, HD-Man said:

The dc version of the game is on fightcade and NullDC bear if you are interested. Totally free and has decent online.

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm listening to the nominees for The Game Awards and  usually there's always at least ONE game that's in a questionable category.  So...would Monster Hunter really count as an RPG?  I mean you don't really gain 'exp' in the game.  Maybe Action RPG? but I feel that's really stretching the RPG aspect in this since you don't fight things and continually get stronger save through the outfits and weapons you get from the monsters themselves.

Edit: also voting is up now if you want to add your voice to the pot

https://www.thegameawards.com/nominees

or rather it would be if I wasn't getting an error at the moment.  edit: refreshed and it's working

These game award nominations make my head hurt. Four of the six for best action game are shooters, Monster Hunter is not an RPG but nominated in that category, Nick will probably win best fighter because lol smash wins. Who the fuck picks these games?

A spokesperson for Activision Blizzard disputed The Journal's reporting. The company's full statement reads as follows:

We are disappointed in the Wall Street Journal’s report, which presents a misleading view of Activision Blizzard and our CEO. Instances of sexual misconduct that were brought to his attention were acted upon. The WSJ ignores important changes underway to make this the industry’s most welcoming and inclusive workplace and it fails to account for the efforts of thousands of employees who work hard every day to live up to their — and our — values. The constant desire to be better has always set this company apart. Which is why, at Mr. Kotick’s direction, we have made significant improvements, including a zero-tolerance policy for inappropriate conduct. And it is why we are moving forward with unwavering focus, speed, and resources to continue increasing diversity across our company and industry and to ensure that every employee comes to work feeling valued, safe, respected, and inspired. We will not stop until we have the best workplace for our team.

The company also commented on the impending walkout. "We are fully committed to fostering a safe, inclusive and rewarding environment for all of our employees around the world. We support their right to express their opinions and concerns in a safe and respectful manner, without fear of retaliation," a spokesperson for Activision Blizzard told Engadget.

4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

These game award nominations make my head hurt. Four of the six for best action game are shooters, Monster Hunter is not an RPG but nominated in that category, Nick will probably win best fighter because lol smash wins. Who the fuck picks these games?

To be semi fair to action games...I don't think there's really been much if anything noteworthy that came out this year.  The only thing I can think off off the top of my head was Ultra Age and Monster Hunter Rise...which...got placed in the RPG category (which upon reading BornWinner's post appears to not fully Keighley's fault since Capcom themselves want to label the game as such for whatever reason).  That's the extent I'll play advocate though cause they probably should have just...not had the category if they didn't have enough to fill it.  But then again they're probably using the term "action" super loosely here....WAAAAAY LOOSE...

I da know if Nick takes fighting game to be honest.  That's going to depend on how many Smash people actually bother to vote and prop that game up in which I'll be extremely disappointed.   I actually think Strive has a really good chance of taking it.  If Melty or Demon Slayer end up taking it that's going to be crazy upset.

As for your last question from the website

How are nominees selected for The Game Awards?

Nominees for most categories of The Game Awards are chosen by an international jury of over 100 global media and influencer outlets, selected for their history of critical evaluation of video games.

Specialized juries also convene for other categories including esports and accessibility.

Each voting outlet completes a confidential, unranked ballot based on the collective and diverse opinion of its entire editorial staff, listing out its top five choices in each category.

Ballots are tabulated, and the five games that appear on the most ballots are put forth as nominees. In the event of a tie, six (or more) nominees will be announced in a category.

Game Awards producer Geoff Keighley is not a member of the jury and does not vote on the nominees or winners.

https://www.ign.com/articles/bots-scalpers-ruining-chances-of-getting-ps5-xbox-series-x-nintendo-switch-oled

Scalpers have also taken the opportunity to use bots to try and jack up the price of highly desirable and hard-to-find items. Take a look at the prices of PlayStation 5s, Xbox Series X, and Nintendo Switch OLED consoles on third-party reseller sites like eBay and you’ll get the idea (and this doesn’t even take into account that some of these listings might be scams in their entirety). In February, data engineer Michael Discroll posted a series of reports on the scalping marker, noting that at the time, 10-15% of all PS5s in the United States have been resold with scalpers estimated at the time to have amassed $43.2 million in profit.

All people have to do is stop giving them money and it will discourage them from doing that.  But people are clearly too fucking impatient and don't care how their actions effect others and the future.   I know when my son gets to the age of wanting a console himself I'm gonna tell him straight up that he's gonna have to wait on it cause I refuse to feed these people.

haha, y'know it just randomly came back to mind---- Fallout 76 was the most amusing disaster I've ever seen in the gaming industry....someone should do an updated countdown video or something on youtube of the greatest gaming dumpster fires of all time; in a Top 20, Fallout 76 would be a top contender for the #1 spot if I was putting a list together.  Most had a good time laughing at the long list of nonsense going on with that game.... like there was some special helmet you could get with a pre-order, if I recall...and some had mold in it! 😆  It's like every possible thing that could've gone wrong happened...like someone placed a voodoo curse on the company.  There's at least 2 on my friendlist that actually bought that bullshit... I know one of them claims that they've fixed the problems at this point, but I don't really believe him... he has a tendency to stick up for whatever thing (especially gaming-wise) he has bought. 

I was never a Fallout fan in the first place, so I was always on the sidelines to laugh at the spectacle.  

...well, this also reminded me of Anthem just now--- I should really play that again a few more times before it disappears forever ( since it is an "online-only LOL" game) some day soon...

Sadly, Outriders will have the same fate; the population for that "totally not a live-service"  game of course has dropped off a cliff in the past few months.  

Edited by MillionX
20 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

Heh, I just had a long set with a friend the other day in MVCI.  Such a good game, I even loved the cast and how the characters who were bad in 3 had a second breath to thrive in MVCI (Ghost Rider and Nemesis were far and beyond the biggest beneficiaries of the new system, followed by Rocket Raccoon).  

That Ghostrider bike super where he goes "HONEY GLAZE RIDES AGAIN" was too ridiculous.

I miss playing it but I've been really focusing on mvc2 again since more people I know are playing.

Rocket Raccoon was cheap as hell and really hard to deal. I played at a local tourney for mvci and got 3rd with Rat/Haggar, so grimey, so cheap, I beat this one Zero/Dante player (he was actually pretty good, better than me) with it by smacking him with Haggar pipe and lariat and then running the stupid cheap oki mixup. I felt like a scumbag lol

8 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/bots-scalpers-ruining-chances-of-getting-ps5-xbox-series-x-nintendo-switch-oled

All people have to do is stop giving them money and it will discourage them from doing that.  But people are clearly too fucking impatient and don't care how their actions effect others and the future.   I know when my son gets to the age of wanting a console himself I'm gonna tell him straight up that he's gonna have to wait on it cause I refuse to feed these people.

I started buying consoles later on because it means I've still got games I want to play on the previous gen while the new gen is coming out and that means less pressure to get the new(usually hard to come by) system. 

10 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

To be semi fair to action games...I don't think there's really been much if anything noteworthy that came out this year.  The only thing I can think off off the top of my head was Ultra Age and Monster Hunter Rise...which...got placed in the RPG category (which upon reading BornWinner's post appears to not fully Keighley's fault since Capcom themselves want to label the game as such for whatever reason).  That's the extent I'll play advocate though cause they probably should have just...not had the category if they didn't have enough to fill it.  But then again they're probably using the term "action" super loosely here....WAAAAAY LOOSE...

Given how prevalent shooters are in the market it should be it's own category. I don't understand why it isn't. In years where there's a drought in action games they should use fighters and beat em ups to fill spots. The Demon Slayer game would be a good fit for the action category.

10 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I da know if Nick takes fighting game to be honest.  That's going to depend on how many Smash people actually bother to vote and prop that game up in which I'll be extremely disappointed.   I actually think Strive has a really good chance of taking it.  If Melty or Demon Slayer end up taking it that's going to be crazy upset.

Strive should win but I'm not optimistic. Nick has characters the mainstream gaming audience are familiar with and that might be enough to give it the win. 

4 hours ago, MillionX said:

Sadly, Outriders will have the same fate; the population for that "totally not a live-service"  game of course has dropped off a cliff in the past few months.  

They just released a fee update with new Expeditions and a bunch of fixes to the loot system, and I think  new story content is going to come out for purchase. I might go back and play the new free stuff and see if I get sucked back in enough to purchase the DLC.

11 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I da know if Nick takes fighting game to be honest.  That's going to depend on how many Smash people actually bother to vote and prop that game up in which I'll be extremely disappointed.   I actually think Strive has a really good chance of taking it.  If Melty or Demon Slayer

I think the fight is more between Nick and Demon Slayer.

Nick is extremely mainstream, plus Demon Slayer is huge right now.

And is not like it will be the 1st time that a crappy arena fighter has won the VGA for FGs

4 hours ago, MillionX said:

But that is what they expected.

They wanted to make a game that you could enjoy, play as much as you wanted and move on, and hopefully be back if they release a new update.

They explicitly said it on interviews, that they werent trying to make a game where you married your time to it for years.

25 minutes ago, NinetiesArcades said:

Oof it's a toss up for me regarding GOTY: Metroid Dread or Resident Evil Village.

This is actually first time i read up on the nominees; so many categories under E-sportz.

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

I always ignore everything related to content creators,  eatsportz and sjw narrative crap nominations, lol.

For starters is not like our votes matter much, since the value the assign to the votes from players is lower than the committee, which is why you see stuff like TLOU2 winning game of the year despite the majority of votes from players went to the other games in the category.

11 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I always ignore everything related to content creators,  eatsportz and sjw narrative crap nominations, lol.

The existence of the games for impact category is laughable. They know that none of those games will be able to win in any of the standard categories so it needed it's own to stand a chance. I hate how on the nose the name of it is.