Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Extra

There's a soundtrack done by David W. Collins who was a sound designer and Voice actor over at Lucas Arts.  He focuses mostly on movie soundtracks but he just recently started dabbling and taking deep dives into a couple of game OSTs for those interested in hearing what he has to say.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-the-soundtrack-show-29021108/episode/the-music-of-super-mario-bros-29213945/

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-the-soundtrack-show-29021108/episode/the-legend-of-zelda-the-music-77773213/

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-the-soundtrack-show-29021108/episode/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-78422249/

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-the-soundtrack-show-29021108/episode/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-80090621/

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-the-soundtrack-show-29021108/episode/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-90649978/

hoping that maybe he'll do more.  So far I've listening to the first 2 and I'm about to move into his OoT and it's pretty interesting hearing him talk about this from his perspective as a gamer having grown up playing the games and also being a composer in the industry he's in.

Edit:  Also please forgive him calling Link an elf.  I heard him call him that in the 2nd episode and I felt my inner Zelda fan die a little bit lol.

Edited by Sonichuman
7 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

your right but like from a visual standpoint young link for an example looks like a keebler elf that choose violence instead of cookies.

I 100% agree and it's why I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he said Elves for the normies. He could say Elves and keep it moving or sat Hylian and get bogged down by the interviewer not know what that is or whatever. Then he has to explain and it's really not that important to the topic...just my thoughts. 

Edited by RSG3

Got to the 3rd part of the OoT OST that David made and he provided some pretty interesting insight into how some tracks were made in the VG industry in the 90's.  I knew that the original Fire Temple music had gotten replaced but he talked about why that happened is because of composers using samples from sample CD's.  So the Forest Temple track also uses a sample that's taken from the cd's as well.  So the section that starts at roughly around  1:05-1:10 I always thought it was Kondo sampling one of Link's grunts from the game for the track specifically the one that's used for him jumping.  Come to find out that whole section is actually a sample from one of those cds.  This includes the flute that's played in that section and possibly and more than likely before this section even comes up.  He actually plays the exact sample when he's talking about it.

VGM Fridays!!!   This is preeettty late I know aaaaaand it's also not even Friday anymore.  I've been pretty much making a VG Christmas playlist all day.  List of stuff I have on it exceeds 100 tracks aaaand I'm pretty sure posting all that would be ill advised so I trimmed the post down a bit be warned though...there's still a good chunk in this spoiler.     Merry Christmas Megashock!

Spoiler

Also here's my normal random contribution

19 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Glad this guy has almost nothing to do with games nowadays. What a clown.

David Jaffe's been spewing dumb shit for several years now, this is just another addition to the list

Frankly I don't know why he even has any following still - in the last decade his accomplishments were releasing two garbage games and then making a podcast where he sometimes drops insider knowledge/game leaks

35 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Twitter never disappoints in providing with stupid takes.

I bet that most of the people agreeing with that take are retardera scum.

It's deffinitly not as bad as Sylvie Paula Paula, but I mostly agree with the tweet, the design really sucks imo. 

I don't really have any issue with Melty Bloods designs tho, I think the simplicity of them is a positive that actually helps it stand out in a genre with overly designed characters as the norm. 

*shrug*

Edited by RSG3

Supposedly Jaffe says he played Super Metroid but then later it was found out that only partly played Super Metroid only a tiny bit...which would make sense since SM doesn't say nearly as much as Dread does in helping you proceed.   I don't think Jaffe hates Metroid (or...at least he didn't have any ill will prior to him not being able to put down the shovel) I think it's just more his ego refusing to allow him to accept the L despite everyone showing evidence that he's wrong.  I mean his response to Nintendo making fun of it pretty much says it all for me.    "They're taking the piss, its a coincidence , or they' no they're wrong".  Sir...this is the 2nd time they've specifically called out this room...it ain't coincidence.  Like RSG said "They're taking the piss with you , you goofy fuck!" is pretty accurate.  Dude is in his own world on this.