Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

39 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Happy New Years Eve , MegaShock! With 2021 coming to a close, did any of you guys have any standout games come out this year? My top three are Guilty Gear Strive, The Great Ace Attorney, and Mario Party Superstars. 

Pretty much just Strive and Dread this year. There wasn't anything I was super looking forward to this year, but next year there's a bunch of stuff

Think Dread is the only title I was most hype for this year.   I have Miles Morales (PS4) but unfortunately I think that game is somewhere in the Indiana Jones vault that is our storage space while we're tying to find a new place so I'll have to wait to try that game out at some point.  Mario Party Superstars was surprisingly great and the salt flow from playing that game with friends online has been immeasurable.  Grudges have been held over multiple games and the shit talk...lord the shit talk.  I almost want that game to have a public chat just to hear the amount of vitriol and broken dreams from people while they play it.

4 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Happy New Years Eve , MegaShock! With 2021 coming to a close, did any of you guys have any standout games come out this year? My top three are Guilty Gear Strive, The Great Ace Attorney, and Mario Party Superstars. 

Off the cuff I want to say Strive, Shin Megami Tensei V, and Metroid Dread. 

Strive has just been a lot of fun. Rockin it with Giovanna and she's just such goofy fun. Her cpmbis are fun to do and look sick yo. Fun ground to air to ground combos. Love her. 

Shin Megami Tensei was almost everything I wanted it to be, only falling short in the story department. 

And Metroid Dread is just amazing. It's all I could want in a Metroid game, it did a wonderful job balancing telling you what to do with with making you figure it out, no matter what some washed up Game Dev seems to think. Only place Dread could be a bit better is in the music department. It's all fantastic atmospheric work and sets the mood well, but nothing there is really as memorable Brinstair Theme or Norfair Theme, or hell even Maridia. I like to see a bit more out of the music next time. Bout all I can say on that. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

My favorite games were GG Strive and Loop Hero. Loop Hero was very interesting as a roguelite, deck building RPG. I also had fun with Octopath Traveler and Remastered Quake.

The top games that had my attention this year were Metroid Dread, Scarlett Nexus, Curse of the Dead Gods, Werewolf the Apocalypse and Outriders.

haha, I know someone who gave up when he couldn't get past the forced stealth part of Werewolf in the beginning (yep, it doesn't take much in a game for him to give up, really).  I'd agree that concept of forced stealth in a game is lame though.  Fortunately, it was just that early part of the game.

Curse of the Dead Gods-- I'm still not even that deep into, actually... I was back on Dead Cells and Hades for a while but recently came back to Curse, now fully hooked; it's clear this is going to be another Dead Cells-caliber addiction for me....at least several hundred hours of good times to be had here, most likely.

Edited by MillionX

my top 3 favorite games this year are Tails of Iron, F.I.S.T. and Ruined King, I guess.  I have a bunch that I like a lot this year. 

I thought about it and you know, I dont really know if most of the games I liked this year actually came out this year.  They could be a few years old...takes me a while to get around to games.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

Most of the games I beat this year were backlog. However two Of the games I got this year that actually came out this year that I loved were Dungeon Encounters and Voice of the Cards. 

Both were small titles by Squeenix. Dungeon Encounters can be absolutely brutal at times but it was also fair (#notlikedarksouls). I haven’t beaten it yet because my party kept getting wiped out and id have to start again at floor 0 with a new party. 

Voice of the Cards was a really fun and creative JRPG. My one real overall complaint was that, imo, the price tag for the game ($26) was way too high for the amount of content you got. Especially since it’s a JRPG. I 100%’ed it in less that 15 hours. Back in the early days of gaming and maybe some small indie games this can be fine, sure. But this is a title made by Yoko Taro and published by Squarenix. I wasn’t disappointed that I played it but I was disappointed that there wasn’t a lot to it. 

Some other games I played and beat this year were

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (god so good)

Dragon Quest VII remake for the DS
Dragon Quest VIII remake for the DS

Final Fantasy IV remake for the DS 

Ni No Kuni 1 for the Switch 

River City Girls 

Luigi’s Mansion 3

box boy + box girl 

Mario 3D  World + Bowsers Fury 

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition 

probably a few others I missed. 

I definitely RPG. 

Edited by iStu X

New rumor about Goldeneye 007 popped up...this time in the form of an Achievements list for Xbox

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1477108966513467392

Edit:  You know...the first rumor had this coming for Switch and now this 2nd rumor popping up has it for xbox.  Considering M$ and Ninty's relationship right now this doesn't sound out of place.  This rumor popping up right before the new year is intriguing to me.  If Nintendo announces a direct in the next couple of weeks this rumor might actually have some real weight behind it.

Edited by Sonichuman

Atlus says Shin Megami Tensei has sold 800K worldwide,

https://personacentral.com/atlus-2022-smtv-sales/

That might not sound like a lot...but SMTIV sold 600K in 2 years.  This game is now so far the best selling game in the franchise  (not including Persona...I'm pretty sure).  They're also teasing another title announcement this year and Person'as 25th anniversary will be going into a new phase this year.

Squeenix's president puts out a letter about new tech/concepts...take a wild guess what's included in this letter

Showrunner for Witcher Season 2 talks about Eskel, don't read if you don't want spoilers

I've you're familiar with the books and have watched Season 2 and you feel some type of way about how Eskel was treated then this would provide some insight into why.   And of course there's a bit of arguing going on in the comments after her thread.

From the top of my head, Tales of Arise, RE Village (mostly due the nalgotica of Dimitrescu), Outriders (flaws and all, a solid game), It Takes 2, Hitman 3.

And the surprise of the year Knockout City, is incredible how hooked i got with it.

Melty Blood Type Lumina turned a solid fighting game that i enjoy a lot.

For 2022, the only game i am hyped about right now is DNF Duel after the beta, it is super fun, and the way it approaches its simplification could be a good gateway for a lot of people the same way that DBFZ was some years ago.

Edited by Hecatom

for what its worth i really liked tales of arise but i like most tales games the only thing arise had that the others didn't is a budget.

also i wish the franchise in general could figure out boss battles in the old games the bosses are combo dummies especially if you play in multiplayer in arise they have specific conditions to stun them which is fine but even when their downed you don't really get any feedback when hitting them and that part really bothers me but that's more of a personal gripe. 

The one game I've really been liking is also the only new one I bought this year: Hades. Right now, I'd give it a 10/10. A couple flaws, but it's great. I paid 20-something for it on the Playstation Store (it only recently came to PS4), but would have been just as happy with it if I paid 60.

Off topic, does anyone know of a good, solid resource for how to fix PS4 controllers? I feel like I go through two of these bitches in a year and I don't even game like that. I'm about to get another one today. Youtube videos feel like they have a million different solutions to the same problem. Maybe I'm searching wrong.

Edited by axeman61

If you liked Hollow Knight you'd probably like Aeterna Noctis.  I've only played a few hours but I'm really diggin' it.  It's challenging (guess some people though it was too challenging so they had patch in an "easy" mode) and fun.  It also looks real pretty.  The story is cool and there are lots of references to other games.  I was just as some place talkin' to some guy and he started tellin' the protagonist about Samus Aran.  Didn't say her name but you know that's who he was talkin' about.  I cracked a smile cause y'all been talkin' about Dread a bit here.

Like Hollow Knight I think this game is going to take me a long time to finish.  I think its just a long game in general which means it could take me a year or two to finish. 🤣

cZFQPUL.png

spacer.png

AY2o1aP.png

zR9dRET.png

DVRu3PL.png

10 hours ago, Hecatom said:

The quote at the end of the video is so amusing when you know about the mechanics and the balance of the game 🤣

Like did he forgot that the game they made has the priority system that makes certain answers as the only option you have?

I used to play 3s pretty seriously and when I first read Viscant's parry posts I was like 🤨 but the more I learned about Third Strike and fighting games in general, when I read them again, I realized he was right. Doesn't mean 3s is a bad game, but parry absolutely does limit options and become the most sensible option you have in a lot of cases.

Ok yeah, so I went on and got that 40th Anniversary Ms. Pacman machine.  I made a few slight errors in putting the thing together apparently, but it still holds up and it works!  I've already been playing Ms. Pacman, of course...skills are a bit rusty; I only made it to the blue stage where the bonus was either an apple or pretzel.  Anyway, besides Ms. Pacman I've played Dig Dug and Galaga a few times... then Rolling Thunder and Galaxian are up next when I get back to it...those 5 are the real highlights here for me... I was never a fan of the others; I knew of Mappy back then but never really played it.  The joystick and buttons seem just fine to me; it takes me right back to those old days at the arcade.

The sound also seems great; I remember others had complained about it being too low with the previous 1up machine that had Ms. Pacman on it.  

It's cool to finally have a "real deal" Ms. Pacman game, in arcade form at home.  Analog sticks of the various home systems over the years were usually "iffy" and not quite reliable to me, when it came to Pacman games.... you need that old-style arcade joystick for the control to be precise all the time.

Well this is a good first impression here... I will likely be getting at least a few more of these Arcade-1up machines.  It's a shame I never see the Ninja Turtles one in stores anymore....I should've bought that day 1.

^yep, I haven't even finished the video yet, and it's pretty clear L4D2 is still the champ while Back 4 Blood is sadly still in rookie training.

It also seems to highlight a certain admittedly pessimistic suspicion I've had for a few years now about this industry... that the new breed of developers out there just don't measure up to those who came before them....a lot of them are either lazy, or just don't quite have the same caliber of talent as the older generation of devs out there.....which paints a sad picture for the future of gaming.

In some cases, the differences are like watching a Sunday school youth choir perform....right after you have seen a live show from Prince, Michael Jackson, David Bowie, etc.

Edited by MillionX

Melty Blood Type Lumina was probably the most fun I've had with a new fighting game in years. Resident Evil Village was the only new release single player game I finished this year.

I didn't get to play as many new games as I would have liked but I have Deathloop, Returnal, and Shin Megami Tensei V on my radar. I would play Back 4 Blood but none of my friends were really interested so that's an instant dump for me. I'll probably never play it lol.

Ive been using RPCS3 a bit lately.  Its pretty fuckin' dope.  Playin' me some Dragon's Crown.  Love the game.  Trying to figure out if I can play it online with that emulator.  I know you can play some games but not sure about this one.  I guess I could just look it up but I just been playing till I get to the point where you can go online in the game.

Dragons Crown was a blast, I almost made it to max level but after about 350 hours I tapped out.  I had an absolute UNIT of a fighter with the amazon amulet life on hit and a few life drain items making him nearly invincible except for the high level++ bosses you encounter in later playthroughs.  Some of them end up doing so much damage that you can't even trade with those bosses you have to learn to dodge or die.

On 1/1/2022 at 2:02 AM, Sonichuman said:

Showrunner for Witcher Season 2 talks about Eskel, don't read if you don't want spoilers

I've you're familiar with the books and have watched Season 2 and you feel some type of way about how Eskel was treated then this would provide some insight into why.   And of course there's a bit of arguing going on in the comments after her thread.

I'll TLDR what I said about Eskel in the Netflix thread.

Spoiler

I thought the decision was dumb because fans of the lore will be pissed off and fans of the show won't even know Eskel is important. 

According to Bloomberg, the developer is 'mercurial'

An article appearing on Bloomberg today reports that industry veteran Ken Levine’s studio Ghost Story Games is not a happy place to be. Half the company’s founders having quit, along with many staff, and after eight years there’s still no sign of a game.

Levine is perhaps most famous for 2007's BioShock, a first-person action ‘em up that was unquestionably a milestone game in the industry. Previously he had been a key figure in the development of all-time greats like Thief: The Dark Project, System Shock 2, and Freedom Force, working with Looking Glass and his own studio, Irrational Games. While he is all-too-often mistakenly described as an “auteur,” Levine is undeniably a pivotal figure in 21st century video games.

In 2014, Levine declared that Irrational would be closing down, and that he was creating a new studio—Ghost Story Games—to focus on narrative-led projects for owner Take-Two. In 2022, no such project has ever been made public, and Bloomberg reports this may be a result of Levine’s leadership style and lack of management skills.

Up-and-coming games journalist Jason Schreier reports, “Levine’s managerial style has led to burnout and, former employees say, caused a lot of pain.”