Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

odd... I was sure the Kingdoms of Amalur DLC would be for all systems...yet I didn't see it yesterday on Switch.  It's nowhere on the eshop.... I'll check again later.  They also had the Switch logo on the DLC release trailer yesterday....it seems like a reasonable assumption that it would be for all versions of the game.

I forgot that because I either pre-ordered or got a special edition on XB1, I was already entitled to simply download it so I got that version yesterday at least.  I was already too tired to really get started with it though, but it's exciting that they added so much---new level cap (50) and weapons!

Diablo 3 - this week's challenge rift is a Barbarian build, focused on Hammer of the Ancients and a couple of shouts; easyyyyy money right there; that set up my new seasonal characters quite nicely.

edit----next May, D3 will be 10 years old; I'm wondering if they have anything fairly major in the works for that... eh, probably not but it would be nice if there was some surprise "special anniversary content!" thing announced.

Edited by MillionX
15 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

So are they going to explain why there is naked woman embedded in Tiamat's torso? That's weird as design choice been then again strange decisions aren't unusual for Fantasy of Chaos: Final Chaotic Origin

I remember reading some comments online that the first game was a little shallow on the combat side, someone said Scott Pilgrim was a better game, so I hope RCG2 is better.

Here is an overview of the game, via WayForward:

About

River City Girls 2 features six playable characters, two-player online co-op, and an onslaught of new features and bone-busting combat techniques.

Picking up where its predecessor left off, River City Girls 2 throws hot-blooded high-schoolers Misako, Kyoko, Kunio, and Riki—along with newcomers Marian and Provie—into the fight of their lives when an old foe returns to wreak havoc. But the girls (and guys) aren’t just giving up; they’re fighting back with new stat-altering accessories, new items, new weapons, and additional moves (such as Kyoko’s Cartwheel Kick and Misako’s Lightning Rider), along with brand-new abilities like guard-crush attacks and lift-off combos. Recruited foes are back to assist in battle—this time two can be held at once—and players can now enlist the help of hired henchmen who pack even more of a punch!

River City is more alive than ever, with a day-night cycle, more-complex terrain, more shops, new hazards, hidden areas, and an abundance of destructible objects. The brawl will take players to numerous new and updated regions of the city — including downtown slums, a tech-company campus, and an enchanted forest—and pit them against an assortment of new enemies and bosses, such as the Dragon Twins (Ryuji and Ryuichi). The heroes can even visit hideouts where they can store extra equipment, swap recruits, or just chill while listening to music.

Other additions to River City Girls 2 include improved quest tracking, three difficulty settings, and a dynamic story system with dialogue that changes depending on the player-controlled characters. And, of course, the game features a new animated intro, new comic book-style cutscenes, and a new hard-hitting synthpop soundtrack from original River City Girls composer Megan McDuffee

River-City-Girls-2_2021_12-15-21_001-320x180.jpg

River-City-Girls-2_2021_12-15-21_002-320x180.jpg

River-City-Girls-2_2021_12-15-21_003-320x180.jpg

River-City-Girls-2_2021_12-15-21_004-320x180.jpg

River-City-Girls-2_2021_12-15-21_012-320x427.jpg

Key Features

• Six playable characters, each with their own fighting styles and upgradable move sets!
  • Enhanced combat: guard crushes, lift-off combos, and more!
  • River City is bigger than ever! New locations with multiple routes and secret areas!
  • Play solo or team up with a friend, locally or online!
  • New hired henchmen aid players in battle! Hold two recruits at once!
  • Loads of NPCs to meet, interact with, and punch in the face—including surprise cameos!
  • Awesome anime intro, comic book cutscenes, English and Japanese voiceovers, and a spectacular soundtrack featuring RCG1 composer Megan McDuffee!

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

Still don't "get" NFTs.

In laymen terms, an NFT is using the technology behind blockchain/crypto currency to make unique marker for digital goods.

The idea is that with those markers you can give an actual value to lets say digital art, since now you can identify the original, or the limited series.

So, if i am an artist and make a new digital art piece, by making it an nft, i can mark it as one of a kind and therefore sell it, like if it was a picasso.

The reason why is "booming" is the same reason why crypto and retro gaming collection are "booming".

The idea has been coopted by external entities that are using it as means to inflate earnings by manipulating the market and probably money laundering.

Plus a lot of people entering into it thinking it is a sureway to make money while people are still uneducated about the subject.

It is why many people consider them a scam, since you only need to look at the most expensive nft's, they are trash as art, but due how the market on those instances work, people have inflated the value of the collection (ugly monkeys or something), and you have companies and game publishers trying to jump in and force it into everything.

Like Lindsey Lohan selling an nft of her as a fursona, Marvel selling an nft for an obscure char using Stan Lee's twitter account, ea, square, activision, etc jumping on saying that nfts are the future of gaming.

And then you have the people that hate it because "is bad for the environment" without really understanding the technology, and only regurgitating what they have been told.

The sad thing, is that NFT's are a cool idea/technology and actually have a lot of uses both in digital art and digital goods that could be really good for artists and people who sell diferent forms of digital media/services (like for example, you can in theory use it as identifiers to catch who is leaking movies, music, art from your patreon for example, or even use it to identify pirate copies of a game, instead of more intrusive drms).

And i do think that if implemented well, it could be a good addition for certain games.

But we all know that most game publishers would fuck it up.

Edited by Hecatom

i just finished playing DMC5 on amzon's luna stream service.

perfect. in every way.

1 single negative is there's no multiplayer at all. game doesnt seem to record your play to then show it off later to other folks playthough. 

but i expected that since blazblue has no online.

still great tho. biggest difference between pc/console and the stream is. the load times on luna is blazing fast. like stupid fast.

32 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

I mean combat depth, yeah.

Then I will say I thought it had plenty. A large enemy list that has their own move sets and behaviors, and a nice selection of pattern based boss fights. 

I really enjoyed it and think it stands toe for toe with Streets of Rage 4. Both where just fantastic, with SOR4 having an easier and more open combo system. 

The one I wanna play but haven't gotten to yet it's Fightin Rage. I hear really good things there. 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Then I will say I thought it had plenty. A large enemy list that has their own move sets and behaviors, and a nice selection of pattern based boss fights. 

I really enjoyed it and think it stands toe for toe with Streets of Rage 4. Both where just fantastic, with SOR4 having an easier and more open combo system. 

The one I wanna play but haven't gotten to yet it's Fightin Rage. I hear really good things there. 

FnR $8 on GoG right now. I'd go as far as saying it is to brawlers what Crimzon Clover is to shmups if shmups had stopped progressing in 1992. https://www.gog.com/game/fightn_rage

Edited by Camacho
1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

In laymen terms, an NFT is using the technology behind blockchain/crypto currency to make unique marker for digital goods.

The idea is that with those markers you can give an actual value to lets say digital art, since now you can identify the original, or the limited series.

So, if i am an artist and make a new digital art piece, by making it an nft, i can mark it as one of a kind and therefore sell it, like if it was a picasso.

The reason why is "booming" is the same reason why crypto and retro gaming collection are "booming".

The idea has been coopted by external entities that are using it as means to inflate earnings by manipulating the market and probably money laundering.

Plus a lot of people entering into it thinking it is a sureway to make money while people are still uneducated about the subject.

It is why many people consider them a scam, since you only need to look at the most expensive nft's, they are trash as art, but due how the market on those instances work, people have inflated the value of the collection (ugly monkeys or something), and you have companies and game publishers trying to jump in and force it into everything.

Like Lindsey Lohan selling an nft of her as a fursona, Marvel selling an nft for an obscure char using Stan Lee's twitter account, ea, square, activision, etc jumping on saying that nfts are the future of gaming.

And then you have the people that hate it because "is bad for the environment" without really understanding the technology, and only regurgitating what they have been told.

The sad thing, is that NFT's are a cool idea/technology and actually have a lot of uses both in digital art and digital goods that could be really good for artists and people who sell diferent forms of digital media/services (like for example, you can in theory use it as identifiers to catch who is leaking movies, music, art from your patreon for example, or even use it to identify pirate copies of a game, instead of more intrusive drms).

And i do think that if implemented well, it could be a good addition for certain games.

But we all know that most game publishers would fuck it up.

Oh I understand what they are, I just don't "get" it as to why some idiot would want to spend money on a digital piece that can EASILY be copied an infinite amount of times, since, you know, it's digital.  Sure it may not have that signature but if you REALLY want whatever the hell it is to actually use and enjoy or look at, then it won't matter if its the "original" or not.

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Oh I understand what they are, I just don't "get" it as to why some idiot would want to spend money on a digital piece that can EASILY be copied an infinite amount of times, since, you know, it's digital.  Sure it may not have that signature but if you REALLY want whatever the hell it is to actually use and enjoy or look at, then it won't matter if its the "original" or not.

People put value on weird stuff man.

But like i said, mostly is because the market has been coopted by external individuals that use it as means to inflate value and make profit by manipulating the market, so that  people that are not well informed see the amount of money that is being made (legitimately or otherwise) jump into it trying to not miss on the opportunity like when crypto was starting.

1 minute ago, Sonichuman said:

Pretty grimy

It can and has gotten worse. People have been minting the art of Qinni. An artist that passed away from cancer. There’s probably more stories of that happening, but that is one of the biggest.

Large Japanese artist also has had their accounts hacked and turned into some Crypto ad. It’s all really disgusting.

Dev posted an update on Nick All Star Brawl

https://old.reddit.com/r/AllStarBrawl/comments/rhfnm6/dev_update_121521/

Hi guys! Deusmoon here, just coming with quick news, you probably saw the Hungrybox stream.

- The latest free DLC character will be coming to the game pretty soon.

- There are a bunch of characters and stages in the works right now.

- Crossplay will be available on Q1 2022

- We've been HEARING your requests, and we'll make sure you'll be HEARING from us soon 🙂

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

So people are taking art that doesn't belong to them and making them into NFT's and selling them

Pretty grimy

Oof, the stories i know and heard about.

It is way more common than you think.

I have seen a lot of scumbags take art from pixiv for example and make nfts from them, hoping that no one will notice

4 hours ago, Hecatom said:

People put value on weird stuff man.

But like i said, mostly is because the market has been coopted by external individuals that use it as means to inflate value and make profit by manipulating the market, so that  people that are not well informed see the amount of money that is being made (legitimately or otherwise) jump into it trying to not miss on the opportunity like when crypto was starting.

The same thing seems to be happening with Metaverses. It's becoming the brand new buzzword and I doubt the companies making it a big deal even know what it is. 

48 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Dev posted an update on Nick All Star Brawl

https://old.reddit.com/r/AllStarBrawl/comments/rhfnm6/dev_update_121521/

The one thing that’s really messed up is that Nickelodeon told Ludosity that they couldn’t have the characters wear full costumes (which is why some of the new alts in the game are weak) but they allow a mobile game to do that.

Saw this game today.  Looks silly.  Gonna check it out in a bit.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1605480/Albacete_Warrior/

Tried out some more games the past several days. 

Strange game.  Kinda grisly.  Its ugly and it makes my eyes hurt but its kinda fun.  I think it should be a 5 dollar game at best but its 20 bucks.  It feels mad incomplete.  Maybe the guy will keep working on it and add more.

This one is real cute and looks cool.  Its pretty fun but flawed.  Hopefully it keeps getting worked on and gets better over time.

This one is like a time warping puzzle game.  Its entertaining. 

Lookin' forward to the next Spacemarine game.

Still going in Ruined King.  About 58% done now.  I dunno if that means total completion or just story.  Hope story cause its already gonna take long enough it seems.  Good game though.  I don't even know anything about LoL and it doesn't matter.

ah, annnnd it's coming to Switch as well...?  This article is old but hopefully still the case

https://nintendoeverything.com/record-of-lodoss-war-deedlit-in-wonder-labyrinth-coming-to-switch/#:~:text=Record of Lodoss War%3A Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth,22 songs as well as a special booklet.

heh, since y'know...it's a bit of a special challenge to acquire a Playstation system these days.

Edited by MillionX