Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

IIRC Unreal 5 doesn't have texture pop in issues. The playable tech demo that everyone wished was a game showed this off by having the character fly at breakneck speeds with no pop in. UE5's lighting engine is impressive though. Why wastes so much gpu power on ray tracing when UE5's lighting engine is so good.

I'll believe it when I see it lol. But yea that's cool if so. 

Raytracing seems like a pipe dream as far as real practical use is concerned. 

But UE5 lighting system is raytracing, is just that it uses new software technology

IMO, the reason why it feels like a pipedream is because it is raytracing + ultra hd/high fidelity graphics.

Raytracing is technically something that if it would become the norm would reduce costs of development from video games, since a lot of dev time, specially on AAA games is devoted to lighting, just look at FF7R, that to achieve the way it look they have a full area devoted only to do that.

5 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

But UE5 lighting system is raytracing, is just that it uses new software technology

IMO, the reason why it feels like a pipedream is because it is raytracing + ultra hd/high fidelity graphics.

Raytracing is technically something that if it would become the norm would reduce costs of development from video games, since a lot of dev time, specially on AAA games is devoted to lighting, just look at FF7R, that to achieve the way it look they have a full area devoted only to do that.

I was under the impression that Lumen was well done "fake" ray tracing but I was wrong. It's just highly optimized to the point that in can run on graphics cards without specialized hardware. That's really damned impressive.

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

I was under the impression that Lumen was well done "fake" ray tracing but I was wrong. It's just highly optimized to the point that in can run on graphics cards without specialized hardware. That's really damned impressive.

Yeah they are basically applying techniques from machine learning and the like to take advantage of both the cpu and gpu to do the legwork.

27 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Raytracing seems like a pipe dream as far as real practical use is concerned. 

Raytracing is actually the future of 3d rendering because it allows for things like reflections and lighting to just come naturally, which also means realistic shadows. It also saves time for devs because they don't need to manually code those three elements like games in the past did. 

It's just that currently the technology is still at an experimental stage and is unoptimized hence why it significantly tanks the performance and requires a lot of resources from hardware 

But 5-7 years from now it will be everywhere (at least in aa and AAA class games, obviously it's not needed in indie projects or pixel art) 

I only say that because they where talking about Ray Tracing over 15 years ago on consoles. It just feels like one. It's clearly the future with all the time dumped into it. I think they just keep trying to jump the gun on implementing it into stuff. 

Feels the same with 4k kinda. Even if I had a 4k tv I'm not gonna sacrifice 30 of my 60fps to have it, I'll leave it it normal mode and get the better frame rate making 4k feel like a jumped gun for gaming. 

Edited by RSG3

Devs always talks out Futuristic shit though, like how all those tech demos over the years promised or speculated what videogames cab/should/will look like 

And hell iirc some projects in the distant past did apply Raytracing but in a super limited form. Problem is that rtx was basically the first major push to make the technology more available to the masses and the studios through a third party api, with amd joining later and of course unreal 5 being a thing 

Anyways point is now we actually can look forward to achieving true photorealism, without having to "fake" the reflections (screenspace), or doing shadowmaps (with predetermined light sources), or speculate how a scene needs to be lit (which is why we have so many examples of "dark" environments in games being so bright inside even though that's not how stuff looks in real life), or avoid objects being seemingly lit up so it feels like floating above ground 

On 12/7/2021 at 6:16 PM, HD-Man said:

There was some uproar about Re5 initially when it was just Chris killing black folks hence they added Shiva. I think Jill was originally supposed to be his partner 😂

IIRC Sheeva was always part of the game, the just added white zombies that looked suspiciously like Tobias Whale from Black Lightning. Aka just just retextured the black zombies white.

MV5BNDdhNmVkZWQtMjBhMi00ODY5LTg5N2MtMzU5

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

IIRC Sheeva was always part of the game, the just added white zombies that looked suspiciously like Tobias Whale from Black Lightning. Aka just just retextured the black zombies white.

MV5BNDdhNmVkZWQtMjBhMi00ODY5LTg5N2MtMzU5

Ahh, see I got it all mixed up, I knew they did some slick shit to dodge the controversy, that was it. Good catch, and Tobias is godlike, in the top 5 of CW villains😂

10 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Unions 99% of the time are more a hindrance than something good. 

They breed nepotism and corruption, plus hurt more times than not the opportunities of growth of employees. 

I'm generally pro union, but it's telling that all the unions people hate the most are the ones that actually do what unions are supposed to do (police union, teachers union, Teamsters) i.e. protect their workers no matter how good or bad they are. Workers having some leverage is a good thing but like you said, more often than not, they breed more bureaucracy and there's more pressure to "go along to get along" regardless of whether it's the best move or not. 

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

Ahh, see I got it all mixed up, I knew they did some slick shit to dodge the controversy, that was it. Good catch, and Tobias is godlike, in the top 5 of CW villains😂

Tobias is a PoS but his vocal self hate racist game is on point. I couldn't help but laugh at some of the stuff that came out of that character's mouth. Personally think dude playing him was probably the standout actor in that show easily.

I started out with the first Bioshock out of the Collection a little while ago... I hadn't played since the original back in 2007.  Once again, I'm immediately in love with the world and atmosphere of this game... there is nothing bad I've ever had to say about it, really.  I suppose some people may have been disappointed with how easy the final boss was but that's about it.  I'm already close to the fight with Dr. Steinman, and I have the Incinerate and electricity plasmid powers.  

One interesting detail I'm remembering now---I'm not sure when or if the bodies disappear after you've killed the splicers.  You can also continue to shit them with gunshots, the wrench, plasmid powers, etc....long after they're dead.  The attention to detail in this game was amazing.

I *might* double-dip here and get at least parts 1 and 2 on Switch as well.  

One of the coolest things that always stood out on the first playthru--- that first time you encounter a "Houdini" splicer.  That shit was amazing...you see the shadow of a guy running down a hall...but when you turn the corner and look, there is nothing there.  It's a dead end....that guy just seemingly disappeared....and you realize that is indeed their power; they can just vanish and reappear somewhere else.  This is another thing; the use of light and shadow in this game is incredible.  That was just one of a few occasions where you see the shadow of someone or something before you actually see them.  The disturbing thing is that all of them were ordinary people who eventually went completely out of their mind....they are no longer truly "themselves", as they walk around muttering to themselves.  

As said before, I can't say enough good things.  The world and lore of this game series is one of my favorites of all time.  I will forever be fascinated by it.  If it happened for real, I would most likely have been one of the people inclined to go live in "Rapture".

Edited by MillionX
8 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

t's telling that all the unions people hate the most are the ones that actually do what unions are supposed to do (... teachers union ...)

Man, the amount of corruption and damage that teachers union have done across latin america.

They are a cancer, and primary example of why most people outside those unions hate unions.

You don't need to look beyond mexico and the tragic history of how the teachers union devolved basically into a mafia that has enough power to influence into politics.

Part of the reason why my country made a lot of progress in pro workers laws to avoid the proliferation of unions outside specific areas that do indeed make sense to have unionized workers.

im  mad at all you assholes for not mentioning anything about the video game awards being on.

smh.

this shit fucked me up.

the ps4 arena fighting game finally being ported to pc/switch.

which imo, is sorta too late. but better late than ever.

even if the game is sorta dated.

but my head really got mindfucked when i found david cage is doing a star wars game. 

will ellen page lookalike find itself in..nahhh. lol.

will the villains all be portrayed as fat and obese? answer. yes. 

btw i just found out ellen page got a sex change. had no idea till now.

i personally loved detroit become human. but alotta peeps HAAATE david cage. but im not one of em.

The good news is that they are not abandoning the game (GBFVS)

2 new chars coming on the 14th, system changes coming on spring, so for no news about the netcode, but they aretalking about connection stability, so who knows.

Hopefully people with better japanese catch all what was said.

They have subs, but they dont translate everything.

A new Deluxe edition with all DLC is coming this month as well.

Now they are talking about Relink, the Action RPG that Platinum worked on.

Edited by Hecatom
4 hours ago, Hecatom said:

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/12/granblue-fantasy-versus-dlc-characters-vira-and-avatar-belial-launch-december-14

Tweet with the link to the survey for what chars players want to see added to the game and sugestions (we all know people will ask for rollback XD )

a character poll for this game is silly cause you just know its gonna be sandalphon, dragon knights or one of the lucifers.

but to be fair i used to think the cast was full of weird choices but after thinking about it the only real but why tho? choice is uno

hopefully the systems mechanics updates will be interesting. 

5 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

85 hours? The fuck? Are you on Hard Mode? I got to that Dungeon in like...50 hours. I'm almost to the end of the area after that place and I've only clocked 66:05. I thought I was taking forever lol. 

Yup, I'm playing on hard mode. Probably wasn't the best idea for a first playthough. There were times were I regretted the choice but I toughed it out. I also spend an unusually long time in the world of shadows fusing demons, charting a path of which demons I want in the future, drawing some from the compendium. One of my fusions failed and I ended up with a stronger demon that was ten levels above the MC. This mistake has made progression easy lol. 

haha, so one of my friends fell for Gearbox's shit.  I hesitate to call it a full-on "scam" but I'm sure they were hoping at least a few people would get tripped up by that Tiny Tina's Dungeon Keep thing being released as a standalone thing... thinking it's something completely new.  (Edit---*even though the description, which I guess he didn't read says "Experience the acclaimed 2013 quest that started it all..." )The guy swore up and down that this was a new thing set as a prequel to the upcoming "Wonderlands" game....but that's really just the DLC from Borderlands 2 from several years ago....in fact, I think he has the "Handsome Jack Collection" so he already has it that way. (*+ the original B2's DLC way back then) 😆 At least it's only 10 bucks he effectively wasted.

There's a couple of new little things here and there, as this guy mentions:

Edited by MillionX
19 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Yup, I'm playing on hard mode. Probably wasn't the best idea for a first playthough. There were times were I regretted the choice but I toughed it out. I also spend an unusually long time in the world of shadows fusing demons, charting a path of which demons I want in the future, drawing some from the compendium. One of my fusions failed and I ended up with a stronger demon that was ten levels above the MC. This mistake has made progression easy lol. 

Yea I got a Kin Ki that was 10 over me through a failed fusion. Used him for a while. I've been buffing and leveling the fuck out of my Idun to and whenever I fuse her with something the result it like 8 or 9 levels above my team. It's useful but kind of expensive to keep resumminging Idun lol. 

Idun by the way is OP. Boost her Mag stat and Mana Pool, give her Bowl of Hygenia and Heal Perloma and her Golden Apple Skill becomes fucking amazing and well worth 107mp cast cost it's hilarious. Fuse her with Elec Resist or give it tjrough Essence and she won't have a weakness either. I also went ahead and booster her Force and Almighty Affinities and she hits like a truck now to. So far my favorite Demon on my team. I've brought her from lv42 to 66 so far and she's keeping up with late game demons no problem. 

2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea I got a Kin Ki that was 10 over me through a failed fusion. Used him for a while. I've been buffing and leveling the fuck out of my Idun to and whenever I fuse her with something the result it like 8 or 9 levels above my team. It's useful but kind of expensive to keep resumminging Idun lol. 

Idun by the way is OP. Boost her Mag stat and Mana Pool, give her Bowl of Hygenia and Heal Perloma and her Golden Apple Skill becomes fucking amazing and well worth 107mp cast cost it's hilarious. Fuse her with Elec Resist or give it tjrough Essence and she won't have a weakness either. I also went ahead and booster her Force and Almighty Affinities and she hits like a truck now to. So far my favorite Demon on my team. I've brought her from lv42 to 66 so far and she's keeping up with late game demons no problem. 

I didn't hold on to my Idun. I used to her to fuse Kushinda-Hime. While I miss Golden Apple I do like Hime more as a support demon. I don't hold to demons for very long. Once they learn their best skills I'm fusing into a stronger one and having those skills carry over. 

I miss my King Frost. I loved his ice move that attacks everyone and lowers defense. Haven't found another demon that can do that. 

23 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I didn't hold on to my Idun. I used to her to fuse Kushinda-Hime. While I miss Golden Apple I do like Hime more as a support demon. I don't hold to demons for very long. Once they learn their best skills I'm fusing into a stronger one and having those skills carry over. 

I miss my King Frost. I loved his ice move that attacks everyone and lowers defense. Haven't found another demon that can do that. 

Idun is the only demon I've really held onto. The rest get fused. I just love Golden Apple. With now I if Hygenia it's a Luster Candy that overheals.

4 hours ago, MillionX said:

haha, so one of my friends fell for Gearbox's shit....

I personally won't buy anything that company signs off on after all the eye rolling bullshit that went on in BL3.  I want to play a game about anarchy, loot and murder, not listen to woke lectures.  THIS GAME IS ABOUT LOOT AND MURDER AND I WANT TO LOOT AND MURDER GOD DAMMIT.

Edit: I also hate Randy Pitchford so much I don't want to give him another cent, he can rot in hell.

Edited by J-ride