Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

2 hours ago, Sonero said:

The saga continues:

When I was a teenager, I was one of the SF3 players in my area. It wasn't until later when the internet took off that I realized that I wasn't shit. Just because you can give the local scene that work doesn't mean your good. Your local scene maybe weak. At college I was the best SF3 player in the area because I was one of the few people that actually played game. Literally almost no one played the Second Impact cab and the fact that I actually knew how to play instantly made me the best by default.

TLDR; With rare exception, you being good locally doesn't mean much. Not every local scene is NLBC.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

When I was a teenager, I was one of the SF3 players in my area. It wasn't until later when the internet took off that I realized that I wasn't shit. Just because you can give the local scene that work doesn't mean your good. Your local scene maybe weak. At college I was the best SF3 player in the area because I was one of the few people that actually played game. Literally almost no one played the Second Impact cab and the fact that I actually knew how to play instantly made me the best by default.

The issue with the guy is that he gave us a way to measure his ability.  I can get in and out of celestial whenever I want. That's not really a great measurement of me as a player. But its kind of a easy bar to clear. Matter of fact, Strive is designed so that they can easily move you through floors to where the proverbial floor of your abilities matches up best. People complain about how sometimes things are too wide, but the deal is to give you a wide group of people to play that are within a certain range.

So this guy is telling the planet "I am at this range in a measuring system where its easy to move up and down". So its like...eh, my guy? In the thing we all use to practice, you are practicing in a place that doesn't have the highest character knowledge and semi stuck on a game that has great netcode.

Its really f-ing weird. Yeah sure, online isn't 1 to 1 translation of skill. Doesn't change the fact that you need to develop skills to do well online. Whether I like admitting this to myself or not, I am a lot better than many of the people I talk to online about my character. I'm also playing people who understand fighting my character better than others do. So when I've discussed match up stuff, I've gotten the equivalent of "oh man, Sim's j.lp is hard to anti air with sagat". And its like...the fuck you just told me? If you're playing people who can't DP anti airs semi consistently, I'm not shitting on your playgroup, but we are talking about different skill levels.

That was a big issue I had in SRK. You came to SRK to get better at FGs. FML if you're telling me that you're in SRK and can't get out of Silver. My body reacts violently because that means I have to help you get better but you may not care at all and then wtf were we doing in SRK with all that?

31 minutes ago, -PVL93- said:

Haha yeah hah that is so stupid haha who would do that in their life lol haha

There's like a few bare minimum skills that SRK can teach novice (in perspective to people who take the game seriously) player to improve. so if you were in SRK talking about how you can't get out of silver...Did the site fail you or did the community fail you? Why did you make it to the forums but stagnate as a player? Did we not have a convo to help you at all?

Def various factors that would puzzle me in that. Of course, as mentioned before, SF5's netcode is the definition of Your Mileage May Vary so everybody's internet situation is different. I quit altogether because I was trying to take the game semi seriously when the conditions made it impossible to do so.

so its just that. Gold is probably the easiest bar to clear because anti airing, blocking and hitting a combo into a meaty situation got you there. If you learned those few things from SRK then you at least picked up certain understanding about FGs. If not then to me, the site fucked up in its most basic function.

47 minutes ago, Sonero said:

silver...Did the site fail you or did the community fail you? Why did you make it to the forums but stagnate as a player? Did we not have a convo to help you at all?

Nah it's more that I just got bored to hell with SFV, don't really care about ranking up in general, but nevertheless joined SRK to talk shit despite consistently sucking dick at fighting games for like 12 years now

As a pretty average player, I didn't find it hard to advance within Silver.  I just didn't want to commit to playing ranked enough to get to Gold+.

Ranked is just an invitation to get frustrated with the game if you're in an environment where you can't control your distractions, and casual is right there getting you games at about the same rate.

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

TLDR; With rare exception, you being good locally doesn't mean much. Not every local scene is NLBC.

I had the same feeling too in Marvel vs Street Fighter, It was the only Capcom arcade machine in the VHS rental shop near my college while others were KOF cabs, it was also the least popular and played here compare to XVS and MVC1.

Until I saw some crazy stuff in a different city when I started working.

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

As a pretty average player, I didn't find it hard to advance within Silver.  I just didn't want to commit to playing ranked enough to get to Gold+.

Ranked is just an invitation to get frustrated with the game if you're in an environment where you can't control your distractions, and casual is right there getting you games at about the same rate.

It took me maybe 3 months during the first year of SF to get to Silver. I wish I had my old replays because I would love to see just how far I've come. I basically stagnated with Cammy in Ultra Gold for a really long time and it was pissing me off. So that's why I switched characters. I trained with Kolin for a while  and when I made a new account I blitzed through Rookie to Ultra Platinum in like 5 days. Once I made it to Diamond was when the real SF kicked in. I think it's easily the hardest rank to stay good in.

Edit: AAAAAAAAYE YOOOOOOOOO LETS GO

Oh shit I wonder what rank this guy is now....

Edited by TWINBLADES
1 hour ago, Shakunetsu said:

I had the same feeling too in Marvel vs Street Fighter, It was the only Capcom arcade machine in the VHS rental shop near my college while others were KOF cabs, it was also the least popular and played here compare to XVS and MVC1.

Until I saw some crazy stuff in a different city when I started working.

Yeah I was 3rd best player in my Arcade at SF3, best at college for the reasons I listed. It's the funny though. The guy that worked at the arcade was an okay player at first. After working there for a few months, he was bodying all of us. He was a cool dude though. If he was playing a game for free and beat you. He gave you a free credit. If he was off the clock though and was spending cash, your wallet was gonna learn today. Man, I remember the sets all of us would run. Good times man. 

1 hour ago, TWINBLADES said:

Also if anyone here mains Nash hardcore and is west coast I would love to play you. That MU is cancer for Kolin I feel. I need help. This one UGM Nash has my fucking number lol

Is it that gavthethanos guy?  I'm terrible against Nash too with either Karin or Cody.  I can see why he's not a great character but in an online environment I feel like it's so hard to react to all his nonsense - and he's got a ton of it.  

44 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Is it that gavthethanos guy?  I'm terrible against Nash too with either Karin or Cody.  I can see why he's not a great character but in an online environment I feel like it's so hard to react to all his nonsense - and he's got a ton of it.  

No it’s a Nash players called slurpps_n_stuff or something like that. He’s insanely good. 

Also looking at that first Cammy video and god damn have I gotten better. The throw tech into sweep was the meta back then. Punishing the overhead with cr.MP but because I had no confirms I just turn my brain off and do dive kick and when that fail I just jump back lol

Main I wonder what my reaction would have been if someone from the future showed me playing the game at the level I play now back then lmao! 

Edited by TWINBLADES
13 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

Can everyone give their reason for why they stopped playing V? I used to have all you guys and other people in my list of favorites but almost no of them were ever online. Made it seem like the game was dead. 

They "fixed" the netcode and then I was stuck with the same set of laggy players.

OTOH on Strive I'm playing people in the Dominican Republic with little issue.

2 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

No it’s a Nash players called slurpps_n_stuff or something like that. He’s insanely good. 

Also looking at that first Cammy video and god damn have I gotten better. The throw tech into sweep was the meta back then. Punishing the overhead with cr.MP but because I had no confirms I just turn my brain off and do dive kick and when that fail I just jump back lol

Main I wonder what my reaction would have been if someone from the future showed me playing the game at the level I play now back then lmao! 

Yeah, you don't notice how much you improve, have to go back and dig up old videos.  I think we kind of take it for granted sometimes.  Sajam looked through his old stuff when he just started playing +R and was laughing at how bad he was at the beginning.  Now he's legit good.  

1 hour ago, TWINBLADES said:

Can everyone give their reason for why they stopped playing V? I used to have all you guys and other people in my list of favorites but almost no of them were ever online. Made it seem like the game was dead. 

Netcode.

Also, midrange feels generally ass to play in this game. It was a pretty stressful experience outside of lobbies, but again, since the netcode was so ass, that usually meant I was drawing the short end of the stick.

4 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

Alex became shit after season 1 and didn't become decent again until season 4. 

9 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

I still play maybe every other weekend or so with friends. Playing vs strangers has always left me unreasonably stressed so I quit ranked hard once I hit gold and got the trophy for the PlayStation platinum. I still enjoy it a lot, especially with Rose in her current state, and I'd be down to play folks here. I've never had the connection issues I see some people rage about so often, excluding the occasional Mexican Ken player you run into.

9 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

netcode kept getting worse
never fixed some of the things i didnt like about the game (constant sense that everything was stubbier than it should be)

realized just how conceptually wack vtrigger/the entire vsystem is

and most importantly they kept nerfing ibuki smh

5 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

And that was with crap delay netcode. 

Dude, the rolled out the netcode "Fix" and it made it so the connection that was previously good with a guy in my city went to shit. During launch, if I played crossplay with one of the guys in the city and the guy mashed, the connection would go to shit.

But all it told me was that the guy was a flaming idiot because even though I told him multiple times to stop doing that because the connection magically kept going to shit whenever he did it, he kept doing it.

On the plus side though, that guy never crouched block midscreen. So you could literally dash up and cr.mk xx anything completely blind and it was guaranteed to hit. 😂

19 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

I quit around when I got to Super Diamond in late 2019 because the online environment was so stressful and I was honestly surprised I ever got that far in ranked. Still can't believe that switching to Falke when she came out in Season 3, at her shittiest form, was what took me from Ultra Gold to Diamond and skipping all of Platinum almost immediately, then all the way to Super Diamond.

I recently tried to get back to V with the hype for VI and I immediately lost around 2000 points.

20 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

Honestly, I haven't really played any fighting games lately. I've been on an RPG kick. I finish one and another drops. The games like Tactics Ogre are fucking time seek. Fuck the Palace of the Dead. It's not hard just absurdly long. I'm only floor 67. I thought it was 100 floors put apparently it opens up more after you beat the boss on that floor.  I've been basically doing a half dozen floors every day for the past week and half. Once you enter, you can't leave or you have to start from scratch. I haven't even scratched the surface of the San Bronsa ruins. If I pick up Fire Emblem....the cycle will begin again. Maybe, I should start playing fighting games again.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
21 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

I got up to Super Diamond during season 4 and that just made the online unfun for me. I tried learning new characters but I was still fighting Diamond and up players in Casual mode because it shared points with Ranked mode for some reason. So I never did get that second wind of fun again just being beat down trying to use a new character. And then I just stopped playing all together. 

23 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

Same thing that happened with SF4: I had my fun with the game and now I’m 100% done with it. Respect to everyone’s opinions, but I haven’t liked SFV since 2017/Season 2.  I appreciate the game for what it is but there is stuff in the game I hate so much that I probably will never play it again. The only reasons I played it as long as I did is because I enjoy hanging with people here. 

Speaking of, @Darc_RequiemI can’t help Twin. Me and him don’t have a great connection (I’m east coast) and UGM is way above my level lol. I haven’t played SFV in at least a year and I’m pretty sure I’ve had it uninstalled since before Luke dropped. 

Edit: Also realistically I don’t game as much period. Where I was in 2016 vs today I have way less free time. If I’m gaming at all it’s probably on Warzone with my friends. 

Edited by Vhozite

@TWINBLADES You know we can't play. We tried. Netcode doesn't hold fam. Which was weird because when you, Jerom, Hawkingbird, and I ran sets in a lounge early on it was fine. Overall, the netcode has been fine for me. People close by are solid 99% of the time. Where is gotten worse for me is people further away. @Mattatsuand I had schizophrenic connections as the game progressed. Early on in the game, they were fine. It go to the point were we had better connections in Soul Calibur 6 and Samurai Showdown.

Side Note: I will never forget the day you thought i was on a smurf account with my Kolin. 😂