Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

5 hours ago, Illwill88 said:

And what’s everybody’s final thoughts on sfv? 

I didn’t end up getting the game until Arcade Edition came out, so I avoided most of the problems people had on launch. Had a bit of fun playing a terrible Menat and brain dead Abigail until Cody was released. That’s when the game unlocked for me and I played it nearly everyday along with SamSho and Xrd. Ended up making it into Super Diamond, played and lost to a few pros, made this one YouTuber salty leave after every match with him. It was a ton of fun. When SF6 comes out, I don’t think I’ll come back but I never thought it was a bad game.

10 hours ago, Daemos said:

Is there anyone here who actually enjoyed and liked both SF4 and SF5? They were both great games when it was all said and done.

Not trying to be rude but every time this topic comes up one y’all makes a post like this as if it’s some kind of hot take or you’re trying to virtue signal (for lack of a better term) about liking those games. 

Why do you (y’all) need constant reaffirmation about your opinion? Again not meaning to be rude but “DAE enjoy this extremely popular thing” internet posts bug the hell outta me. 

I never played sf4, barely played SFV at all lol, but as far as I can tell hasnt SFV been the most popular fighting game since it came out? Even with the horrible launch? As far as entrants and viewers go it's 90% of the time been the top fighter. 

Edited by Maravilla
33 minutes ago, Maravilla said:

I never played sf4, barely played SFV at all lol, but as far as I can tell hasnt SFV been the most popular fighting game since it came out? Even with the horrible launch? As far as entrants and viewers go it's 90% of the time been the top fighter. 

SF brand is strong af. Don't get it twisted.

Also, it was the first one to really have that online presence and support. A lot of its numbers gotta do with technology and culture shifts.

And if we're keeping it a buck, no numbers ever dictate the quality of a game. Only when you get your hands on it you can tell whether or not a game is good or not.

The best example of this is Pokémon. The whole franchise has been objectively dogshit in several parameters since Gen 5 and that's like, the most valuable franchise in the world.

3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Not trying to be rude but every time this topic comes up one y’all makes a post like this as if it’s some kind of hot take or you’re trying to virtue signal (for lack of a better term) about liking those games. 

Why do you (y’all) need constant reaffirmation about your opinion? Again not meaning to be rude but “DAE enjoy this extremely popular thing” internet posts bug the hell outta me. 

None taken.

Both games are very polarizing, and enjoyers of one seem to exclude the other. Is it really a hot take to treat each main entry as its own little mini-universe with its own experience? The thing that I like about SF is ultimately each entry forces you to relearn and get out of comfort zone. It works on varying degrees, but eventually - See ST, SFA3, 3S, USF4, and SF5CE - Capcom gets it right IMO.

My wife played SF6 for the first time this morning. Although she *really* wanted to use Chun, she ended up playing Luke  (who she feels is a brodude lol). The very first thing she wanted to do with him was his “haduuken” taunt.

She felt right at home with using Modern controls and combos came to her more than they had before. We played some SFV before we got into SF6, and we easily had more fun playing SF6 and had some laughs to boot! I didn’t think my honey would enjoy SF but she thoroughly enjoyed the experience. 

11 minutes ago, Daemos said:

Speaking of modern controls, have you guys read the piece of Japanese pros switching to modern controls? Apparently it has a few advantages such as instant supers and optimal combos always.

Boomers like me will stick to  classic controls for life. 😂

As for your question about sf5, yes I really enjoyed it. It also made my group of friends closer and we'd have sf5 sessions very month and a dinner gathering as well. It's my favourite fighting game together with tekken 7 but the moment sf6 is out, it'll be deleted off my Ps5 for good. 

21 hours ago, Illwill88 said:

It was a very ambitious game and i respect that about it, but imo it was a net failure 

Pushed rollback and crossplay waaaaay before other jp devs caught on...but fucked up the implementation and never really fixed it. Had an amazing system for keeping track of other players and watching replays with CFN... but that contributed to stability issues too. Let you buy characters with free in game points...but struggled to keep the in game point economy fair or interesting and eventually just pushed gacha. Had a training mode with frame data but..it took them a while. Catered to competitive players heavily from the get go... at the expense of casuals and only began to remedy it long after launch. That's just as a package. 

As a game...I think it was too focused on limiting things in a way that was just unpleasant. Range on normals felt bad on a lot of the cast relative to other sf games because they wanted you to play in very specific ranges. Moves were locked behind vtrigger which was never really a good system because it ultimately rewards someone for getting hit with explosive tools. Crush counters were a system that took a long time to fix because the reward on smashing them in neutral was too silly for too long...I didn't play much of sfv after like season 3 but I'm lead to believe it mostly got a lot better as a game. Ill buy that but overall i think the core of the game revolves around too much unpleasant shit to ever be something id call great lol

30 minutes ago, Edmund said:

It's my favourite fighting game together with tekken 7 but the moment sf6 is out, it'll be deleted off my Ps5 for good. 

Yeah one thing I will say about the new SF games is that I don't crave them as much once their sell-by-date is over. I never play them again the way I seek out SF2, SFA2/A3, and CvS2 every now and then.

I really believe it is because of the artstyle. 3D becomes offensive to the eyes when it ages, while 2D only becomes more beautiful in time.

22 hours ago, Illwill88 said:

Arcade Edition should have been the game at launch. If you look at Ono's statement before SFV was announced, the release date of Arcade Edition lines up with when he said the game would be ready. It still would have had it's issues but 28 characters, actual lobbies, arcade mode, and story mode would have blunted most of the hate from the casuals.

21 hours ago, JustBooming said:

It's crackers to think I might actually be able to join some silly lobby and have matches with you guys. I'm really looking forward to it. I think I've played Matt, Darc, The Poster Formerly Known As You, Volt and Sonero with mostly shit lag but when things worked, enjoyed.  @Voltif this stuff works, we can train non-stop for a bit if you like, so you can get to grips with shit (though I am bad)

I'm always down for some sets.

This game is hella different from what I'm used to when it comes to SF, so I'll definitely need the practice.

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

I really believe it is because of the artstyle. 3D becomes offensive to the eyes when it ages, while 2D only becomes more beautiful in time.

*Looks at ArcSys*

Nah, sorry to break your nostalgia glasses, them shits just looked wack from the jump. 🤣

19 minutes ago, Maravilla said:

Yes, but heavys were generally unsafe while lights were not. 

On paper this might be the case but in practice outside of sweeps this wasn’t always true. Take the -4 st.hk that like a half a dozen characters have. On paper it’s unsafe but in practice you hit it at max range and unless your character has a button like Sakura s.lk well you’re SOL trying to punish. 

Then you have other specific non-sense like Ibuki f.hk being safe and hopping over low buttons, or Bison s.hk being plus on block. 

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, Daemos said:

Speaking of modern controls, have you guys read the piece of Japanese pros switching to modern controls? Apparently it has a few advantages such as instant supers and optimal combos always.

If you have the address to the article, I'd definitely check it out

4 minutes ago, Maravilla said:

Ok then keep on using light for footsies, use lights mid combo, use lights on oki, use lights on wake up, use lights in the air, ground, outside the arcade whatever just MASH LIGHTS see if yours connects first. 

How many fighting games have you actually played in your life?

11 minutes ago, Maravilla said:

Ok then keep on using light for footsies, use lights mid combo, use lights on oki, use lights on wake up, use lights in the air, ground, outside the arcade whatever just MASH LIGHTS see if yours connects first. 

Why are you commenting like an authority on SFV when you yourself said you didn’t play it a lot?

I think playing 6 months of SFV is enough to know they crush counters/ the priority system was far superior than sf4 in that regards. Look at sf4 matches, every time two players were close to each other it was light+light+light+light until someone connected, this ain't a mike Tyson jab session. Y'all gon learn today' 

Edited by Maravilla
10 minutes ago, Maravilla said:

I think playing 6 months of SFV is enough to know they crush counters/ the priority system was far superior than sf4 in that regards. Look at sf4 matches, every time two players were close to each other it was light+light+light+light until someone connected, this ain't a mike Tyson jab session. Y'all gon learn today' 

Crush Counters and the priority system are related but if your problems are with the amount of jabs happening then those systems are functionally separate. The priority system is great. You can take out crush counters and heavies would still override lights hitting on the same frame. 

Also the high amount of jabs in SF4 has a lot to do with a specific option select which doesn’t exist in 5. 

Edited by Vhozite
22 minutes ago, Maravilla said:

If you're throwing big ol heavies right in your opponent's face, you finna learn real soon why people go for lights at close-range. 🤣

Usually, most FGs will actually have people poke at the midrange with things closer to mediums because of their range/speed ratio. You'd know that if you had any idea of wtf you're talking about. SFV just had a truly terrible midrange game overall, so the risk/reward ratio was a mess.

SF4 had different issues skewed toward lights, or so I hear. Frankly, I didn't bother with that game too much.

Finally got a chance to check out the SF6 demo.  So far it's miles better than 4, which isn't saying much, but it is. Can't really speak for V since I only played a few matches of that.

That grotto stage looks great as do the characters. I like that they went with that style.

The Drive Impact/Parry thing is interesting, although I'm not sold on it. I think it would have been more interesting if they'd made you pick one or the other and maybe have a super art or moves tied to that choice. Even if there weren't moves tied to it, having to make some choice regarding that would have been cool. Although I have to say, repackaging mechanics from previous games as THE mechanic here makes it seem like they've run out of ideas, and I have to wonder what it's going to do to the footsies game. 

Some physique feature customization is totally out hand, Capcom should made something with limited parameters on menu that prevents oddly bizarre physique results 

SF mythos only has few bizarre physique but as we know its  more on SF3 character and it's not as weirder than that. it's not comparable on what the current SF6 physique customization is able to do or go as far.

if this would had been a free2play we would see a lot of trolls than people that goes for an avatar that want to represent themselves or other non-playable sf characters

and by that the sf world tour roaming avatars would look like an alien city if that is the case.

Edited by Shakunetsu
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

The Drive Impact/Parry thing is interesting, although I'm not sold on it. I think it would have been more interesting if they'd made you pick one or the other and maybe have a super art or moves tied to that choice. Even if there weren't moves tied to it, having to make some choice regarding that would have been cool. Although I have to say, repackaging mechanics from previous games as THE mechanic here makes it seem like they've run out of ideas, and I have to wonder what it's going to do to the footsies game. 

I’m gonna give Capcom the benefit of the doubt and say that SF6 is an attempt to bring everyone into the fold. Casuals, SF3 players, SF4 players, old fans, etc. “Hey remember that thing from SF3, that thing from SF4, that thing from SFV, etc? Well it’s all here, with simpler controls and some extra fun modes to ease you in”.

As for the system itself, I definitely have my reservations but again Capcom is clearly *trying* and the game isn’t even out yet anyway. If I absolutely have to pick something, Drive Impact costing only one bar seems problematic, but again I’m in “wait and see” mode.

Hype train full steam ahead.

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, Maravilla said:

Bro you played it for 6 months and didn't make it out of bronze, right?

That means you couldn't anti air people, probably didn't block and def didn't know how to use your buttons. Even when it comes to SF4 that isn't exactly correct because characters had proximity normals which made the thing a different affair. You were not going to jab out Sakura when she had a 3 frame fierce.

38 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

really don't think it'll happen with the 20% damage reduction and the loss of normals. If modern does become optimal, it's certainly not a good look for the game.

It all started with that turd Ed... They were testing the waters with him... Now everyone can be Ed if they choose to, it's just "an option". Until it isn't...

More "Modern" players = More sales = More tournament entrants

We can solve this all if we get Bison back btw. He'll kill Ed for us, and we can go back Classic controls henceforth renamed to Actual Street Fighter.