Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

17 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

My favorite fights of Korra involved Kya, Lin vs Suyin, in part because they were greatly animated as most of the fights of the show, but also because those 2 were some of my favorites chars on the show for obvious reasons 😏

Yeah I wasn’t a big fan of Earth bending until TLOK. Fights like that first vid made me a fan though. All the other elements don’t utilize the environment the same way Earth Benders do, and it makes their fights really cool. 

My character is Amon in terms of aesthetics and power, but unfortunately we don’t see much of him actually fighting and he gets killed off pretty fast. In terms of fights my favorite character is Azula by far. 

Just now, Vhozite said:

Yeah I wasn’t a big fan of Earth bending until TLOK. Fights like that first vid made me a fan though. All the other elements don’t utilize the environment the same way Earth Benders do, and it makes their fights really cool. 

My character is Amon in terms of aesthetics and power, but unfortunately we don’t see much of him actually fighting and he gets killed off pretty fast. In terms of fights my favorite character is Azula by far. 

If we go by both series and overall lore, i say my favs are Boomie and Iroh.

Both with how little they showed, were really cool imo.

I really like the idea of old masters, so it is par why i also liked the old ladies from Korra, lol.

But both shows really excelled at making great fighst for most of the cast, even the non benders had multiple moments where they shined.

Yeah Suyin is top tier you linked it on the last page but that fight with the Beifongs vs Kuvira’s army. She’s fighting Kuvira and she takes the door panel and uses it as a shield then turns in into body armor...too slick. 

That’s the best part about these “martial arts” shows...old folks can always throw down. 

Edited by Vhozite
1 minute ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah Suyin is top tier you linked it on the last page but that fight with the Beifongs vs Kuvira’s army. She’s fighting Kuvira and she takes the door panel and uses it as a shield then turns in into body armor...too slick. 

The truth is, that no game will be able to fully embrace the idea of being a bender, since there is so much that would be difficult to implement, sadly.

Just on that fight you see them tearing the train/cannon to create projectiles, shields armors, use the metal and terrain as a way to gain mobility, use the whipes to move around, etc.

Perhaps the momentum for a good vg is already to late, but it would be interesting to see them do a full game that is more than a kids game like the TLA games, or just a quick cheap game like Platinums Korra game.

Right now, we only have small cameos on other games, like Smite.

On another subject, which character do you think has the most ignorant dp you ever seen? 

In my case i say Sho Minazuki from P4AU. 

Specifically his air dp, since makes him travel from air to ground pretty quickly and obviously has a big hitbox and invul iirc. 

Combine it with the fact that you only needed to press 2 buttons to do it so it was great to caught everyone off guard all the time 😂

Edit

Edited by Hecatom
10 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

On another subject, which character do you think has the most ignorant dp you ever seen? 

In my case i say Sho Minazuki from P4AU. 

Specifically his air dp, since makes him travel from air to ground pretty quickly and obviously has a big hitbox and invul iirc. 

Combine it with the fact that you only needed to press 2 buttons to do it so it was great to caught everyone off guard all the time 😂

2 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

You should see BBCS Inferno Divier.

It's literally "you eat this DP at any point, you die!" would lead into 10k and that kills the majority of BBCS cast lol.

Jiyuna had a video on that topic, that DP was insanely stupid.

I play(ed) BB, i know about ID, and for how strong it seems to be, is not really in my top 10 tbh.

I am not even sure if is on my top 20.

People overexagerate it imo, since you have a lot of ways around it.

So young zeku's back throw deals hella damage for some god forsaken reason. But it also does other goofy things. It builds him one third of an EX bar with every back throw. If I back throw you 3 times, I have one bar of meter. It also builds the opponent the most amount of meter out of all options to end a round. So while it builds the most meter out of all options, it also gives your opponent hella meter.

Over the course of a game, old zeku would have to throw you 7 times to give you one EX bar of meter. On the other hand, 5 back throws from Young Zeku gives your opponent one bar of meter.

This concludes my first MegaShock article. Thanks for reading, join the forums.

15 minutes ago, Sonero said:

So young zeku's back throw deals hella damage for some god forsaken reason. But it also does other goofy things. It builds him one third of an EX bar with every back throw. If I back throw you 3 times, I have one bar of meter. It also builds the opponent the most amount of meter out of all options to end a round. So while it builds the most meter out of all options, it also gives your opponent hella meter.

Over the course of a game, old zeku would have to throw you 7 times to give you one EX bar of meter. On the other hand, 5 back throws from Young Zeku gives your opponent one bar of meter.

This concludes my first MegaShock article. Thanks for reading, join the forums.

That's very interesting and all, but what we really want to know is, who did you lose an AV bet to?

I need to learn more about Strive’s gameplay, but the game looks incredible and so do the characters. I don’t know what the general consensus is, but the character designs are more appealing to me now than they’ve ever been.

it’s coming out around April right?

have they mentioned anything about free upgrades from PS4 to PS5?

Edited by Mattatsu
8 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I need to learn more about Strive’s gameplay, but the game looks incredible and so do the characters. I don’t know what the general consensus is, but the character designs are more appealing to me now than they’ve ever been.

it’s coming out around April right?

have they mentioned anything about free upgrades from PS4 to PS5?

April 9, 2021 for release. From what I remember there is a free upgrade and PS4 <-> PS5 crossplay.

I'm likewise excited. Its a different iteration of Gear but gorgeous + rollback + clean slate has me on board to crack into it on release.

2 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I'm likewise excited. Its a different iteration of Gear but gorgeous + rollback + clean slate has me on board to crack into it on release.

I'm planning on trying to "git gud" for real on this shit. Grab the game at launch, seriously dive in, make it my only game for awhile. 

Already planning on mains. Either Axl or May as it stands 

1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

I'm planning on trying to "git gud" for real on this shit. Grab the game at launch, seriously dive in, make it my only game for awhile. 

Already planning on mains. Either Axl or May as it stands 

Yeah similar. KI has already kinda roused me from my slumber but if that game doesn't complete the conversion Strive will.

One of the legit very good things I learned from SFV is there is a lot of value to be had from getting in on a FG at a ground level. For as bloated as the cast and everything is, I had a pretty solid grasp on all the chars and mechanics all the way up until I dropped off, just because I was there when it came along. Trying to jump in on a game on the back end can feel a lot more overwhelming.

I have zero clue who I'm going to play in Strive. The closest things I have to legacy chars in GG are Slayer, Ram, and Johnny. Out of those 3 only Ram is in the launch roster so I'll probably give her a spin just to see how she plays in this new version. Not expecting Slayer to return - let Nagoriyuki carry the vampire assassin league torch. Johnny is inevitable so I'll surely try him out when he comes out in DLC pack 2 or whatever.

11 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

April 9, 2021 for release. From what I remember there is a free upgrade and PS4 <-> PS5 crossplay.

Nice! My b-day is a few weeks before that, so I’m hoping to have a ps5 for then, but money is also super tight so i’m happy it should be a free update if i can’t get one by then.

and yeah, like you and @KingTubb said, I’m hoping to take this seriously out of the gate as well. I haven’t really been able to do that with a game yet... Not one that i liked enough at launch to do that with anyway.

4 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Not expecting Slayer to return - let Nagoriyuki carry the vampire assassin league torch.

I really hope they put Slayer in there. He's one of my favorite characters to watch be played. 

I'm not going to do the lore deep dive to see if they made room for him to come back or not, but I'm hoping he didn't like explode or get turned into a pair of underwear or some shit in REV2

Just now, KingTubb said:

I really hope they put Slayer in there. He's one of my favorite characters to watch be played. 

I'm not going to do the lore deep dive to see if they made room for him to come back or not, but I'm hoping he didn't like explode or get turned into a pair of underwear or some shit in REV2

.....I have some terrible news.

Spoiler

From what I remember he isn't dead or anything but he's kind of ultra retired? It's been forever since I sat through Rev's story mode though so hold out for Woolie to make more lore vids.

3 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I’m hoping to take this seriously out of the gate as well. I haven’t really been able to do that with a game yet...

I tried with SamSho but I was brand new to fighting games, so it went pretty bad. I was still playing stick when I was playing samsho, and I've been on hitbox well over a year now. 

Thought about doing this with Granblue, but then the netcode and pandemic happened, so I couldn't play it locally. I'd still pick it up if it was like $20, but that game never seems to go on sale. 

Played a few sets the week it came out, Ladiva was pretty damn cool. 

Samsho was really tempting but the inconsistency of the online (or rather the consistency of how often people had poor experiences with it) led to me not bothering.

I have base GBVS and the first DLC pack. I wanted to go hard into that game but delay netcode woes again and general burnout killed it for me. Plus it was another one of those cases where I couldn't really find anyone in the case that really appealed to me.

Just now, KingTubb said:

DOUBLE POST CAUSE I CAN'T EDIT IN QUOTES

I'm really excited actually. The lore is over the top and wacky, but he presented it in a way that was digestible, and Woolie is just a good content creator. 

I've been a fan of Matt and Woolie since the Fighterpedia days. That first lore summary has that same energy, backed up by many more years of production experience, which shows. And he does a damn fine job of tying it all together. I've kinda sorta known GG lore for awhile (I'm technically a really old GG fan as I started with the PS1 game, though I'm in no way hardcore) but nailing down all the fine points is another level entirely.

4 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I've been a fan of Matt and Woolie since the Fighterpedia days.

Yeah, I thought I was a fan of Matt and Woolie, but after the split I found out that Matt is, well, uh...

Passing No Good GIF

I don't really know what it is, but the guy grinds my gears. 

6 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

And he does a damn fine job of tying it all together

I think it's officially sanctioned and sponsored by ASW, no? He's deep in the cut

Just now, KingTubb said:

Yeah, I thought I was a fan of Matt and Woolie, but after the split I found out that Matt is, well, uh...

Passing No Good GIF

I don't really know what it is, but the guy grinds my gears. 

I think it's officially sanctioned and sponsored by ASW, no? He's deep in the cut

I have the same experience. Not to armchair too hard but the reason teams usually work is the dynamic. Matt sorta needs someone to balance out his dick and fart jokes. His heavily produced stuff is usually really nice though - I've watched all the Spider-Man stuff he's put up and I don't GAF about spooderman.

If those vids aren't officially sanctioned and sponsored they fucking well should be. Just looking at that first one I can only imagine the mountain of time that went into making that thing.

2 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Matt sorta needs someone to balance out his dick and fart jokes

Yeah, he also sorta talks like he just got hit in the head really hard. I know that's harsh, but the man sounds concussed to me. 

3 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

If those vids aren't officially sanctioned and sponsored they fucking well should be.

I think he went through the trouble of getting the thumbs up so he can use any music track he wanted without getting DMCA'd but I don't really know. 

19 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Yeah, he also sorta talks like he just got hit in the head really hard. I know that's harsh, but the man sounds concussed to me. 

Not throwing shade but I think he does a fair number of his running commentary vids at least a little wasted. I remember a couple that were hard to watch for that reason. Another factor in why I prefer the more produced stuff.

Cycling back to SFV to try vainly to stay on topic: actually I got nothing. Don't even have Dan yet to BS about.

I heard rumblings of possible new CAs? Sure seems like something to bolt on to psuedo-freshen up the game. Laura is going to jump a whole 'nother tier when they give her a CA that can chip.

53 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

he does a fair number of his running commentary vids at least a little wasted

My Man GIF by memecandy

Atta boy. If there ever was a time to be a high functioning alcoholic, this is the year. Might be one of the straws on the camel's back causing the SBFs break up. I think Pat is or was a teetotaler. 

56 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

heard rumblings of possible new CAs? Sure seems like something to bolt on to psuedo-freshen up the game.

The best thing they could do is make that first screen roughly 4 minutes shorter. That load alone makes me not want to play SFV. 

But the game gets too much shit. It's actually pretty fun. If it punished players more for jumping and had better netcode I'd be playing a good bit

Zeku doesnt really have yolo slides. The issue with Young Zeku is that its his longest and basically only threathening low. 

St.hp and cr.mp are kinda bad at whiff punishing (and are massive whiff punish bait). So you gotta fight some stuff with a weird, slow moving 10 frame slide. 

There are also meaty slide situations. But those are high risk since you're at -6 at best.

2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

But the game gets too much shit. It's actually pretty fun. If it punished players more for jumping and had better netcode I'd be playing a good bit

Says the Honda main. 😛

I think the thing with SFV is that there is kind of a mental attrition factor. The irritating things in this game kinda chip away because they are persistent. Like after so many years of this game I'm kinda over VTCs, meter gain, the normals, etc., etc.

That said, the netcode inconsistency is definitely a big factor in overall enjoyment especially right now. Like playing FGs in general can be fun just based on how you approach it. But if the online isn't great, markedly less fun. And SFV is unfortunately lightly cursed due to it being inconsistent: if it was always good or always bad you'd at least know what you're getting when you sit down.

Hopefully they can keep iterating on/tweaking it because its frustratingly close but who knows how much effort Capcom is willing to throw at it by this point in the cycle.

5 hours ago, Vhozite said:

There are a few characters that look cool but I can’t commit to anyone without getting my hands on them. 

I can somewhat relate but i always tend to chose the characters based on looks alone.

From the current roster i am most likely going to main Millia 

Guilty-Gear-Strive-Millia-Rage-and-Zato- 

Still hoping I-NO gets added down the line,she is too cool not to be added.