Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

28 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I haven’t caught up to thread but let me just state that guest characters suck, unless your name is Spawn and this is MK11...

give me all your down-thumbs assholes 🤣

Lol.

Nigga, you got it backwards, guest characters can be cool, unless your name is spawn.

He sucks monkey balls on MK11.

The gameplay doesnt suit him really well, and he has a lot of animations lifted from MKvsDC making him look terribad when compared to the cast 🤣

As someone who grew up reading Spawn comics like they were the coolest shit ever, I can't say I'm the biggest fan of him in MK11. If for no other reason than he'd make generally more sense in the next Injustice. I'd probably get way more of a kick using necro magic to fuck up Superman. Though I'm sure DC would veto the shit outta that.

Then again they did have the Spawn/Batman crossover so hey maybe not. Where's my football faced variant skin?

10 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

As someone who grew up reading Spawn comics like they were the coolest shit ever, I can't say I'm the biggest fan of him in MK11. If for no other reason than he'd make generally more sense in the next Injustice. I'd probably get way more of a kick using necro magic to fuck up Superman. Though I'm sure DC would veto the shit outta that.

Then again they did have the Spawn/Batman crossover so hey maybe not. Where's my football faced variant skin?

All jokes aside, I do get yours and @Hecatom’s points against him, and yeah, he could have been made a lot cooler in this game (he would have been sick in MKX as that was a much crazier game), but I still like him, and always thought a fight between him and Scorpion would be cool as shit, so I’m just happy he’s in.

on the same side of the coin, Terminator 1 & 2 and Robocop were some of my favourite movies as a kid (T2 especially) but I just can’t get with them in this game.... For me, it has nothing to do with balance, but do they seem like they fit in the same universe?  For whatever reason, Spawn does for me

5 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

All jokes aside, I do get yours and @Hecatom’s points against him, and yeah, he could have been made a lot cooler in this game (he would have been sick in MKX as that was a much crazier game), but I still like him, and always thought a fight between him and Scorpion would be cool as shit, so I’m just happy he’s in.

on the same side of the coin, Terminator 1 & 2 and Robocop were some of my favourite movies as a kid (T2 especially) but I just can’t get with them in this game.... For me, it has nothing to do with balance, but do they seem like they fit in the same universe?  For whatever reason, Spawn does for me

I think Spawn is an easier fit because of his origins (comic books) and the fact that the mythology of them is so wacky-dacky that sure, why the hell not put him in MK? Dude has been a guest char in 2 different FGs so far and its made perfect sense both times, mostly because "portals and hell magick" gives you a lot of wiggle room.

Terminator, Robocop, and Rambo are a lot adorably dumber because they exist in versions of our real world that aren't overly fantastic except for some near future stuff in the case of Robocop and Terminator. Also I think them being realized in movie form first and foremost makes it a little extra weird for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe because its more about the performances and the movies that surround them as a whole, so divorcing that to make them have death battles with ninjas and wizards is a little extra bizarre? I dunno.

Regardless of how anyone feels about it the stunt casting has seemingly been wildly effective for NRS, and you're seeing other companies dip into that where they can just to try to catch a little bit of that cross-promo lightning in a bottle. But NRS hit on the secret sauce: weaponizing the nostalgia of 30-40 year old men. Always good for a quick buck. 

4 minutes ago, Skort said:

So, in theme with the recent shit movies.

Sad times indeed.

The interesting thing is

Spoiler

In I think Genisys, at the end of the movie Arnie falls into a pool of that liquid metal that the T-1000 is made of.  He even uses the signature arm blades. They can get way more creative with his move set and keep it “canon”. But nah old man runs around with a shotgun. 

Btw Arnie is the T-800 my mistake. The 1000 is the unkillable SOB from Judgement Day. 

27 minutes ago, Skort said:

Unpopular opinion but i actually enjoyed Terminator Salvation.

They tried to do something new and it was set in a time where most Terminator fans wanted the movies to keep going,the future.

There was some potential, but I feel it dropped the ball. It should have focused on Bale more since this was his climb to be the legendary leader (I actually liked that the brass looked at him like a nothing, cause if some guy comes out of nowhere claiming to be a legend, people are gonna balk at it until he proves himself), even if you had him on the side and the main character being an audience surrogate that was a part of John's team, that could have worked, but we had Marus/Sam Worthington and I felt it just petered out pretty quick. I liked some of the ideas (the not knowing he's a Terminator, the early prototypes and the factory stuff) and Helena B. Carter, but overall, with all the potential it had, it just didn't stay with me once I was finished with it.

Edited by ShockDingo
59 minutes ago, Skort said:

Unpopular opinion but i actually enjoyed Terminator Salvation.

They tried to do something new and it was set in a time where most Terminator fans wanted the movies to keep going,the future.

I also like Salvation.

This comes from someone who likes T3 for its action, but i feel that from all the sequels after 2, only Salvation is the only one that is warranted.

T3 onwards missed the point of T2, where the chars defied "Destiny" and prevented JD.

And for what? To make worse versions of T1 and T2

Salvation served as an exploration of the world post JD, and how humanity survived and fought against the machines.

Its execution was not perfect, but imo, if the Terminator franchise had to continue in any way, it should be in the vein of Salvation, and not retellings of what we already saw on 1 and 2.

58 minutes ago, ShockDingo said:

There was some potential, but I feel it dropped the ball. It should have focused on Bale more since this was his climb to be the legendary leader (I actually liked that the brass looked at him like a nothing, cause if some guy comes out of nowhere claiming to be a legend, people are gonna balk at it until he proves himself), even if you had him on the side and the main character being an audience surrogate that was a part of John's team, that could have worked, but we had Marus/Sam Worthington and I felt it just petered out pretty quick. I liked some of the ideas (the not knowing he's a Terminator, the early prototypes and the factory stuff) and Helena B. Carter, but overall, with all the potential it had, it just didn't stay with me once I was finished with it.

The reason why the focus of the Movie is Marcus and not Connor is because they wanted to kill Bale's Connor at the end and have the twist that the Connor that was the leader was Marcus all along.

But when on test screenings that ending was universally panned, they pannicked and tried to salvage the movie by filming a new ending and reediting.

It is something that has annoyed me since T3.

They are so eager to subvert expectations by replacing Connor as the focus/hero.

With each entry reducing his role more and more to the point wher in Genesys he was the Villain and on Turdminator Feminist being outright killed and replaced by a a joke of a character.

3 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Careful bro, that is Simp speak.

If that's simp talk, then all M:TG players are massive simps. WoTC is a wack ass company that has done their playerbase worse than capcom did SF players with SF5.

But people take WoTC's nonsense because they are stuck in that game. Cypher's head would explode at how hard it is to get some M:TG players to try other games.

21 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

BOTW lagged with ten enemies of the screen.

Funny, haven't got lag in BotW outside of 2 specific scenarios.

Using Stasis near the Great Fairy Fountain in Kakariko, and Korok Forest.

And both didn't lag on my PC. 👀

Officially stronger than a Switch, the most powerful Nintendo console to date. This one built different. 😤

7 minutes ago, Volt said:

Korok Forest

Korok forest was the worst. I’m actually amazed they let that fly and didn’t remove a couple koroks or whatever to ease that up a bit.

and yeah, I may have exaggerated a bit in my post, but there were definitely noticeable drops in BOTW, so much so that when I saw AOC footage and a hundred enemies, my first thought was what kind of magic they were doing to achieve that.

1 minute ago, Mattatsu said:

Korok forest was the worst. I’m actually amazed they let that fly and didn’t remove a couple koroks or whatever to ease that up a bit.

and yeah, I may have exaggerated a bit in my post, but there were definitely noticeable drops in BOTW, so much so that when I saw AOC footage and a hundred enemies, my first thought was what kind of magic they were doing to achieve that.

Judging by how Stasis legit stops time when drawn in that GF Fountain in Kakariko, I think it's the excess of grass that makes it lag.

+ all the Koroks and the Great Deku Tree's humongous ass, of course. That's a huuuuge model.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Avatar FG would be really tricky to make. The hardest part would be fitting in air benders due to their air mobility. You have a lot of mostly grounded fighting and then you get them bald fools just activating flight mode all over the place.

I don’t think so. Air benders are really mobile but other than Zaheer literally flying it’s not often that their mobility advantage is shown as being insurmountable. Ozai uses fire bending to “fly” under sozins comet and I’m pretty sure there are multiple examples of Azula using fire bending to to boost herself. Earth benders are shown to be mobile with weird rock surfing shit and creating columns to super jump. You also have the republic city cops who use metal bending to swing around like steampunk Spider-Man. 

I don’t recall any especially impressive mobility options for water benders, but it wouldn’t be too hard to let them slide on a sheet of ice like literally every ice based meta human in comic books. 

All that said, I’m not sure a grounded game would be a good choice for an avatar fighter anyway. It’s no DBZ, but the fights are usually very fast paced and acrobatic in the show. 

Edit: Mobility also isn’t automatically a problem if the characters have good options for controlling space. All the elements have their own version of a fireball.

Edited by Vhozite

They arent air dashing though. So it'd have to be a UNIST/JJBA type of game where you have air mobility but not full anime system stuff.

Characters were way more grounded than what you probably remember. There a lot of straight martial art fights that then had added bending flair to them.

Havent watched it in a minute, but the game would be almost NRS tier with the projectiles.

23 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I’m not sure a grounded game would be a good choice for an avatar fighter anyway. It’s no DBZ, but the fights are usually very fast paced and acrobatic in the show

Yeah, this seems right to me. Air benders would need an air dash. 

11 minutes ago, Sonero said:

So it'd have to be a UNIST/JJBA type of game where you have air mobility but not full anime system stuff.

UNI has air dashes tho... But I think a "anime, but not too anime" system would be perfect. 

Honestly, Xrd without dust and a tag instead would be pretty awesome 

15 minutes ago, Sonero said:

They arent air dashing though. So it'd have to be a UNIST/JJBA type of game where you have air mobility but not full anime system stuff.

Characters were way more grounded than what you probably remember. There a lot of straight martial art fights that then had added bending flair to them.

Havent watched it in a minute, but the game would be almost NRS tier with the projectiles.

I didn’t say they were air dashing I said they were mobile.

At the bottom end you have a lot of fights that are basically standing full screen throwing projectiles, but at the higher end the character move much more fluidly than what you normally see in something like Street Fighter or MK. Example 

This starts out as a pretty traditional fireball war until Azula gets angry and starts going almost full anime about half way in. 

Bonus: Also shows firebenders and water benders using their bending to move around. 

Then you have fights like this 

only about 40s but you still have a lot of shit going on that simply wouldn’t be done justice in a game like Street Fighter. 

Also tbh I’m just using this discussion as an excuse to post avatar clips. 

Many chars if not most of the benders have done some sort of move that when translated to a fg would be either an airdash or a hope with a weird arc ala kof. 

From the main cast of the 2 series only the non benders (Ty Leeh, Sokka, Zuki)  wouldnt really have done something that can translate to an air mobility option. 

With Ty Leeh and Zuki having instead done some quick movement akin to anime short teleportation. 

2 hours ago, Sonero said:

Ehh, uniel has air dashings. 

Is only the air back dash that they dont have. 

What makes it "grounded" is that like GG the antiairs are unblockable in the air unless you use the special defense options. 

4 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Marvel did it just fine🤷‍♀️

Lol no, it didnt. 

With rare exceptions most of the cast were useless against chars with extra mobility options since it opened gameplay they couldnt couter unless they had stupid zoning options to shut down their movement. 

It is a constant on fgs, where the chars with better mobility options trunce the other cast if they are not designed to deal with it, or if the universal options dont help with them.

Edited by Hecatom
3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I don’t think so. Air benders are really mobile but other than Zaheer literally flying it’s not often that their mobility advantage is shown as being insurmountable. Ozai uses fire bending to “fly” under sozins comet and I’m pretty sure there are multiple examples of Azula using fire bending to to boost herself. Earth benders are shown to be mobile with weird rock surfing shit and creating columns to super jump. You also have the republic city cops who use metal bending to swing around like steampunk Spider-Man. 

I don’t recall any especially impressive mobility options for water benders, but it wouldn’t be too hard to let them slide on a sheet of ice like literally every ice based meta human in comic books. 

All that said, I’m not sure a grounded game would be a good choice for an avatar fighter anyway. It’s no DBZ, but the fights are usually very fast paced and acrobatic in the show. 

Edit: Mobility also isn’t automatically a problem if the characters have good options for controlling space. All the elements have their own version of a fireball.

They were able to use the water of the area to create waves to surf and propel themselves.

Then you have chars creating water tentacles to swing around for example.

And in places like the poles, they were basically flying and using the area like high skilled earth benders.

In general, an avatar fg will be a cross between airdasher and snk games.

2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Yeah, this seems right to me. Air benders would need an air dash. 

UNI has air dashes tho... But I think a "anime, but not too anime" system would be perfect. 

Honestly, Xrd without dust and a tag instead would be pretty awesome 

So BBTAG?

Also, bringing the subject again, the whole "anime" descriptor is so dumb, since it doesnt describe shit at all.

Everything is anime unless is SF.

Then you have SF like games being called anime games anyway.

It is why i always advocated to describe the games based on their mobility options.

Having games between gounded, like SF, and in the other side of the spectrum games like air dashers and the marvel series.

And in between games like KOF, Darkstalkers, etc, where their mobility options are a big part that differentiate them from games like SF, but are not as strong as in games with double jumps, universal airdashing and other air mobility options.

And sorry for the multple posts, but i am on mobile and cant multiquote on that shit for some reason.

Quadruple (edit: quintuple) post Jesus Christ how uncivilized can you get...

Also another good fight

I have a fetish for main characters taking L’s and this is a good (bad?) one. Korra is off her game and Kuvira the Great Uniter is beating her so effortlessly. This fight made her my favorite Earth Bender even though she loses later. 

Earth foot grab into the blind fold is too slick. If she’s not fucking around the fight is over right there. 

Edited by Vhozite
12 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Snip

Dont tempt me to go full uncivilized swine bro, lol.

My favorite fights of Korra involved Kya, Lin vs Suyin, in part because they were greatly animated as most of the fights of the show, but also because those 2 were some of my favorites chars on the show for obvious reasons 😏

Here you can see Kya basically air dashing/hoping a great distance using her water bending btw.

Edit

Yeah, making an avatar game grounded would be a crime, since the full masters are extremely agile and with really crazy mobility options

Edited by Hecatom