Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I have been there with you.

Its more of about how shitty and unnecessarily smug a lot of people were in SRK. After a good ol' decade of explaining stuff about the general culture in the website and other stuff, a good chunk of loudmouths and their sycophants were more than happy to tow the line. Wanting to be part of a group is a hell of a thing.

That one convo went like: "discords are a mess because they're hard to find. That makes forums/websites way better."  And the counterargument was "Well no because all you have to do is find this one excel sheet with discord links to lots of places". It was such a dumb conversation it still blows my mind it happened.

But that's sort of been the very weird irony of SRK. The real shitty people didn't understand who they were on practical reasons. Its also why I'm always going to be on the side of getting you guys to do more. This is a great start here and you can make it great if you wanna do the work.  You don't have to "redo" the same things. Just take all the mistakes of SRK (from all places from SF5 subforums to GD) and go "So we're not gonna do any of that".

I mean, @misterBee

If there was a time to get this place picking a direction, its basically now. The forums are here and functional. You guys can decide as a group of people were to take it etc. If this were my bag, I'd be advertising this place on the twitters left and right. It may not be mine, but its defo is for a lot of you guys. Might as well start shouting this place out and beefing up numbers.

13 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Uh, no?

It was dumb. But there's something about the FGC and weird personality issues. GD had a lot of depression in it for whatever reason. I won't say GD was the caused of this, just from the users and self admitted stuff, it seemed like it. Combined with an overall idea of "well because I'm better than you at this game is then I'm right about everything". You get dunning-krueger stuff in real life but boy is that ish crazy in SRK.

What SRK missed the big boat on is ignoring FGC casuals. Everybody here is FGC casual including, or most importantly @Doctrine_Dark. now I'm tagging the homie for a reason. Doctrine worked hella HARD at getting good at this game (and he sucks and ducks me, what up Dark McDucks?) and he did it solely as his hobby. If you're in this forum at this moment, you're literally here to play games and get better. You can become insanely proficient at this game just for the joy of getting good at fighting games.

I've said this before, but people misunderstand the word casual. It happened a lot in M:TG too. Casual just means "doesn't compete in tournaments" not "this guy isn't good". Doctrine is godlike (even though he sucks and ducks me) at this game and he is literally a casual player. Japan put his replays up on youtube and the guy is a casual player. I had all those dumb ass conversations with people back when the SRK Front Page first started, but they just show to ignore that largely, we are all basically hobby/enthusiasts.  This isn't my place to run, but that would be the people I'd target. If the conversations are good, you can attract good players to come post. You get everybody in one place taking conversations seriously, you're gonna get good tech out of it. Viscant basically won vanilla MvC3 Evo by working out mix ups on the SRK forums.

Discords are too esoteric to find and you can't quality check the mod teams. Because they're glorified chatrooms, you also get a lot of fluff conversations. The Necalli discord back when secondary v-skills came out was the worst. I posted a bigger breakdown of VS2 in the Sf5 Lounge than what they had in their discord. Zeku discord was similar in that people didn't really lab to learn. They just wanted hot set ups. Meanwhile I still have some Birdie punishes they haven't found.  Guess what'll happen more often: birdie doing bullhead in v-trigger or you doing some weird stuff with bird bombs?

Just gotta make it a no-nonsense place to learn, where you can take it seriously. Doesn't need to have its own wiki, but use the other wikis to supplement stuff here. This is megashock forums but we're gonna use the SRK Wikis as the info dump place etc.

Anyways, my point is that Alex is a cuck character and should've never been buffed, parries are a trash mechanic and air blocking is lols in an SF game. Get anti aired.

26 minutes ago, Sonero said:

But there's something about the FGC and weird personality issues.

OMFG you can say that again. 🤣  The pro-wrestling parallels confused me at first but makes perfect sense now.

26 minutes ago, Sonero said:

GD had a lot of depression in it for whatever reason.

Nah that's just Stu.  🤣  Hope he's doing well.  (Stu's like Akhos except having less but trying harder.) 

28 minutes ago, Sonero said:

You get dunning-krueger stuff in real life but boy is that ish crazy in  SRK.  videogames.

FTFY.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

You guys can decide as a group of people were to take it etc. If this were my bag, I'd be advertising this place on the twitters left and right. It may not be mine, but its defo is for a lot of you guys.

🤔 Do we  (not "you guys") want to grow this site or nah?  I'm not online much cause #FamilyMan and that won't change for years, but I've mentioned this site with some pushing-30 Smashers who are afraid of what FG competitive retirement brings.  I don't have the twitter or the facebook and I don't know enough character info to share. But I get the sense that a lot of us don't have much free time beyond what's spent on actual gaming.

Anyway, speaking of character info:   I'm changing mains again.   Although easier to win with because every button is a  frame trap, Cammy is as dry as burnt toast.  The Fiona costume made it easier but man I'd rather lose than play more Cammy. 

I tried Lucia cause I've always like her moveset, but I can't keep it all straight. She has a lot of moves, some with multiple various enders, I'm unclear what's used where, when, and why, and even if I learned it all I'm unsure that it would be worth the effort, especially throwing her into online environments with the likes of Urien and Bison.  A little like Menat, where you have to go hard and ride or die.   Not conducive to my dad schedule. 

I tried Necalli cause I heard he's basic and has pretty much everything you need for SFV, but didn't know he has charge moves.  (I'm allergic.) 

Guile is easy to learn, but, *achoo* :sniff:  

Sagat is easy to learn and I kept a 50% win rate in online ranked.  But damn I can't seem to do a simple fireball uppercut trap to save my life.  I couldn't do his first three trials either.  All of his normals feel like such a commitment, throwing a fireball is a commitment, and his dome is way up in the sky where jumpers live.  

G looked like a rekka character, if rekkas were unsafe on block but bufferable from a great ranged-jab.  But it's chaining DP motions not fireball motions which feels super awkward and wrong, and, many normals have Sagat levels of commitment. 

I find myself on Akuma now.  Normals are quick like Sakura and Cammy. He's got Ryu's crouch strong, Laura's standing MK knee, fireballs, DP, and a counter to style with.  I mained him in A2 so I know most of his moveset already.   

Now if only I had a place to find common BnBs, punishes, etc.  🤔

Anyone gonna be around for games today? 

Edit: Also does anyone know if there is a way to download some of SFV’s themes? I’d like to add Guile’s theme to my workout playlist but would prefer something higher quality than YT>MP3 conversion.

Edited by Vhozite
3 hours ago, Sonero said:

If there was a time to get this place picking a direction, its basically now. The forums are here and functional. You guys can decide as a group of people were to take it etc. If this were my bag, I'd be advertising this place on the twitters left and right. It may not be mine, but its defo is for a lot of you guys. Might as well start shouting this place out and beefing up numbers.

I'm not really that plugged into FGC twitter, so if people want to help me advertise by all means please do so!  🙂

23 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm up for games.

Me too. Don't duck me @Vhozite

1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Do we  (not "you guys") want to grow this site or nah?  I'm not online much cause #FamilyMan and that won't change for years, but I've mentioned this site with some pushing-30 Smashers who are afraid of what FG competitive retirement brings.

If its going to bring in people so that you can get games consistently when you do wanna play? yes. If its gonna be a bunch of armchair nonsense and people who don't play? No.

But for the most part that's misterBee's call.

52 minutes ago, Sonero said:

If its gonna be a bunch of armchair nonsense and people who don't play? No.

That's inevitably what it would be. In my experience, you always have people who come for the game, get rekt a few times, and then all they do is chat and meme. Which is fine, but I'm in enough places where the majority of the people there are that, and I like that this is more of a clubhouse with people that skew a little older than the average Discord. 

It's Bee's place, but it's different from anywhere else I hang out, and I like that about it. 

54 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I'm not really that plugged into FGC twitter, so if people want to help me advertise by all means please do so!  🙂

We can help you with that. The first thing you need to do is transfer the rights and all assets of megashock to me. I'll let you continue working on the technical side.

We need a frontpage like 8wayrun.com or freestepdodge.com where registered forums users can comment on articles with their own accounts. Or add Disqus comments.

We'll do great things!

2 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Alex shoulder AA’ing when the enemy is behind him and he doesn’t even touch their model lol.

And he gets a combo out of it and oki. At least birdie just go a mix up, this guy gets the whole bag.

But its also Alex, the Nike Character. Just do it and Yolo because they cucked everybody out of normals so he can hit buttons. Terrible.

7 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

@Pair of Rooksim watching you fight Hawk’s Ryu and you’re jumping way too much. 

If you are going to keep going air borne change up your trajectory a bit more. You do air fireball almost every time. 

Thx. 

My wife came up literally screaming at me as soon as the game started, so my head isn't in it.  Not that that would have saved me getting reamed by all of you, but still. 🙂 

I have to bail already and feed her. 

2 minutes ago, Joke said:

People love to meme about Alex but shit when I play him I'm getting most of my damage off literally pressing crmp and anti airing.

Against Ryu you might.

Ryu's buttons are ass and now his anti air hits behind him for a combo that leads to oki. Alex  gets an inordinate amount of milage out of the fact that I can't even sweep his cr.mk. Like how? Dude is hard to fight for all weird reasons that make SF5 wack.