Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 2.0

1 minute ago, Angel said:

It's like some of these ppl don't know who I am 🤔

The scourge that haunts the minds of many an srker, the terror that flaps in the night, the bubblegum that sticks in your hair, the itch that you cannot reach.  etc etc

The summer that never came, the girlfriend who left you and became gay, the forgotten wet dream, the slightly uneven chair leg, etc etc.

6 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Wasn't Avirl Lavigne guilty of doing this too?

Whenever I see a band that's not a post rock, jam band, or like insanely orchestrated metal group with three guitars, all I can think is

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

And honestly, I really don't think any band really needs three guitars. That's a lot of gunking up the mids, Play something else

31 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Whenever I see a band that's not a post rock, jam band, or like insanely orchestrated metal group with three guitars, all I can think is

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

And honestly, I really don't think any band really needs three guitars. That's a lot of gunking up the mids, Play something else

You know, a lot of people think the same about Slipknot. They have 2 drummers lol. Why?  I saw a video live many years ago, and one of the drummers was standing on the drums on all four jumping like crazy, and people going wild. 🤔

1 hour ago, Lantis said:

I do appreciate Miley's vibes, but I doubt it will have the intended results....

We'll see. She has a powerful voice so it could wok. When big idols do these kind of things it can help bring more people over to rock/metal. the Lady Gaga and Metallica performance probably did, but pity about the technical issues.

The new one, apparently, there's some pop star called Doja Cat who has a "triple-platinum mega-hit" called "Say So" and just like 2 days ago she did a performance on Europe MTV awards "metallizing" her song:

metal:

Not something I am gonna put on repeat, but if it makes metal grow then that's cool. Would have liked some more harsher vocals.

GettyImages-1284607518.jpg?w=980&q=75

Edited by AriesWarlock
24 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I have no idea who Doja Cat is.

I didn't either.  I guess she is big with the crowd that loves their n-word spewing youtube "stars".    People that like pewdie shit, maxxashillion and what have you.    All I know is she another one of these trash coons that lets yte ppl spit in her mouth and call her the hard r for money.

Just now, MillionX said:

haha, every time I've seen Maximillian since..or just when someone mentions his name, I remember his infamous "CHINDER CHAGGER!" moment and I'm laughing again.  That shit was hysterical, man 🤣  ...and he said it twice!  Actually I should've saved the clip... I should do that if it's still out there...

It's ok!!... He has black friends.

That's why I say it every day, cause @Angelis my friend.

2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

It makes sense, especially from a live perspective, and rock is more a live performance medium. Besides, Miley probably won't be playing guitar live so having the extra player is a bonus.

More bodies onstage=more hype show for a lot of people, especially if it's a big stage. I used to play clubs that wouldn't book anything less than a 4 piece but preferred 5 or more because the stages were big, it meant more musicians to interact with the audience, and the sound was thicker and more "pro." 

If you have two rhythm guitarists, it means that when the lead guitarist takes a solo, you don't have the drop in energy that usually accompanies them stopping playing chords if you don't have a piano/keys player to help pad out the mix. You get three guitarists playing different sounding guitars and staying in their lanes and it can work and sound great. A lot of 3 and 4 piece bands will sometimes hire a utility guy or play with backing tapes playing in the mix so it's like having another musician there from a mix/sound perspective, but playing with backing tapes especially if you're a rock band sucks ass. Having another body onstage rocking out looks and sounds way better. 

Edited by DoctaMario
29 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

You get three guitarists playing different sounding guitars and staying in their lanes and it can work and sound great.

Word. Not saying you should never have three guitars on stage, Bands do it and sound great.

But Zombie doesn't need 3 guitars lol. 

when the lead guitarist takes a solo, you don't have the drop in energy that usually accompanies them stopping playing chords if you don't have a piano/keys player to help pad out the mix

This doesn't really click with me. You don't want to fill the mix when a guy is soloing, you want that player to cut through the mix. Making the player have to find a way through more sound seems counter intuitive. I'm all for filling a mix, but with instruments that fill different registers. 

I used to play clubs that wouldn't book anything less than a 4 piece but preferred 5 or more because the stages were big,

Were you headlining?? and how many bands were playing?? If you backline 3 bands and each band had 4 amps, the first band would be in the audience unless that stage was HUGE. That's with bands sharing a drumkit, which some guys won't do. 

Edit: Just wanna clarify, I don't really think 3 guitars is that stupid, but I do think it's usually overkill and usually someone ends up playing for themselves, cause ain't nobody in the audience hearing what you're putting down 

Edited by KingTubb
16 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Having another body onstage rocking out looks and sounds way better. 

I've heard some pretty killer trios before.  Medeski Martin & Wood are fucking sick live- I recently heard they're working on a new album too.  When Maynard isn't singing it's just the three of them jamming. When I saw them live I was blown away by the sound. Never a drop in energy.  It helps that Danny is one of the greatest drummers on the planet, but still. I don't think it's a universal truth that the energy drops when there are less musicians.  I think it depends more on the quality of musicianship and the cohesion of the band.

10 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Bro, if I could be partying with rich saudi princes I would not be posting in video game forums.

Dude has been to "hundreds" of weddings and parties with Saudi princes all before the age of 18. 

You're obviously just jealous that you too can't maintain this college rockstar lifestyle, while also having time to become an option select God in 3S, like our boy here. 

Have some GODDAMN respect. 💯💯😤

5 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I've heard some pretty killer trios before. 

Twos of the best shows I've ever been to were duos. 

A show I'd put in my top five was a dude by himself. 

On the other hand, I've been to shows that have like 12 people on stage that were out of this world. Like the roots, holy shit they are amazing live. Only one guitar tho🤔

1 minute ago, M A R T I A N said:

Dude has been to "hundreds" of weddings and parties with Saudi princes all before the age of 18. 

You're obviously just jealous that you too can't maintain this college rockstar lifestyle, while also having time to become an option select God in 3S, like our boy here. 

Have some GODDAMN respect. 💯💯😤

I don't know about hundreds...

And there is no lifestyle any more. Just stare at a screen alone all day and occasionally draw something, then sleeb.

19 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

On the other hand, I've been to shows that have like 12 people on stage that were out of this world. Like the roots, holy shit they are amazing live. Only one guitar tho

I mean, the Grateful Dead are one of my favorite bands of ALL TIME, and they had a full stage, including two drummers (except from '71 to '74 when Micky left and it was just Billy holding it down.  Ironically, '73 and '74 are my favorite years as far as their exploration in improv  jamming went. But I also really like '77 and '78 when Micky came back.  Basically, all of the 70's were amazing, but were definitely separated by eras.  Once Pigpen died  in '73, Jerry took over as the de facto leader and things started to get a little bit more guitar-centric with him taking on more of a leading role then he was with Pigpen on keys.  But Keith really changed the sound, too when he took over the keys- their jams started to really solidify. Don't get me wrong- the '60s and early 70's stuff is fucking epic too.  Some of my favorite stuff is from that era, and Pigpen was much more than a piano player and vocalist- he was basically a hype man, too. But the change was noticeable when he died and was replaced, and the sound evolved and, in my opinion, peaked in the mid 70s.  But that's more because Jerry peaked at that time. The one thing that I cant stand about the time Keith was with the band is that they let his fucking wife sing.  She would just stand on stage for most of the song, and then during a jam sometimes she would wail like a fucking banshee and it sounded AWFUL.), but I think that comes down to musicianship rather than how many people are on stage.

Edited by Chadouken
9 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Full orchestras have 30+ people and y'l are really arguing what the right amount of people for a band is.

I think we're talking about rock and roll.  And I'm not arguing that any number is better than another.  I'm saying it depends on how well the band plays together more than the number of people.  Look at Phish- it's unbelievable how only four dudes can fill MSG with so much sound, and it's because they are all incredible musicians who have borderline telepathic abilities when playing with each other.