Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 2.0

1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

Dead and company ain't bad, you gotta admit.

It is by far the most boring arrangements of those songs I have ever heard.  I won't go see them.  Mayer can't get out of the fucking pentatonic and it ruins all of those mixolydian jams Jerry used to lay down. Bobby sounds like he needs to be taken out behind the shed and put out of his misery.  This whole Dead & Co garbage is a fucking cash grab.  Tickets are at a minimum $80 for nose bleeds and I don't feel like paying that much money to take a nap.

If you want to see where the natural evolution of that music is, check out Joe Ruso's Almost Dead.

7 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Thats sort of why its a fruitless conversation. White Stripes did their whole career on two people playing. Rush had one guitar who sounds like three.

Sometimes the extra instruments can add a lot though.  For example, listen to Siamese Dream.  Corgan overdubbed a fuck ton of guitar tracks to give it that compressed sound.  He and Butch Vig submixed something like 12 guitar tracks down to stereo on analog tape.  The result is a guitar sound that at that time no other album, at least not that I've heard, has come close to.  But this is all on the production side of things.  I've seen the Pumpkins a few times live and they were much more raw and sounded way less produced as a 4 piece, which I could appreciate.

2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Word. Not saying you should never have three guitars on stage, Bands do it and sound great.

But Zombie doesn't need 3 guitars lol. 

This doesn't really click with me. You don't want to fill the mix when a guy is soloing, you want that player to cut through the mix. Making the player have to find a way through more sound seems counter intuitive. I'm all for filling a mix, but with instruments that fill different registers. 

Were you headlining?? and how many bands were playing?? If you backline 3 bands and each band had 4 amps, the first band would be in the audience unless that stage was HUGE. That's with bands sharing a drumkit, which some guys won't do. 

Edit: Just wanna clarify, I don't really think 3 guitars is that stupid, but I do think it's usually overkill and usually someone ends up playing for themselves, cause ain't nobody in the audience hearing what you're putting down 

"Need" is a funny word when it comes to music. Things that I "need" musically others don't and vice versa, it's why I listen to some things and not so much others.

It's not so much "filling in" the mix as it is not taking away from what's already come before. If you're coming from a chorus, imo,  a guitar solo in a up/mid tempo rock song should be even bigger or at least on par with the chorus itself, unless it's supposed to be moody or whatnot. But that's why most bands track enough rhythm guitars in those sections in the studio unless they're going for more of a live vibe and only have one or two guitarists. They track those things when they have the resources to do so even though they may not have enough band members to cover those live, but in Miley's case, she does.

And yeah, my band was headlining at most of those clubs. We were usually the only bands playing at those places (we had residencies and these clubs were a step up from the average club you hear bands in) so we didn't have any backlining to do except one time we opened for a bigger artist and had to fit our gear around his stage setup. But Miley is playing at a level where she has roadies to take care of the gear and they're probalby playing bigger venues anyway so there's more space for her to do her thing.

As for the last bit, bands like this usually only have shorter solo sections. These aren't jam bands we're talking about, they're bands like GnR, Motley Crue, etc. The guitars are arguably the most important part of a rock mix and with a good sound engineer (which someone of Miley's status would have) will make everything sound like it should so everything gets heard.

2 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I've heard some pretty killer trios before.  Medeski Martin & Wood are fucking sick live- I recently heard they're working on a new album too.  When Maynard isn't singing it's just the three of them jamming. When I saw them live I was blown away by the sound. Never a drop in energy.  It helps that Danny is one of the greatest drummers on the planet, but still. I don't think it's a universal truth that the energy drops when there are less musicians.  I think it depends more on the quality of musicianship and the cohesion of the band.

Trios are some of my favorite bands, Nirvana, The Police, the Bill Evans Trio, etc. There's something about a good trio that I've always loved and having played in a few myself, it's a lot of fun if you have the right musicians with you. 

Having said that, it depends on the music and how it's written. And Tool is a totally different kind of band so what works for them and their songs may not necessarily work for Miley Cyrus.

Edited by DoctaMario
22 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

Because fuck you going to sleep tonight

A scene from the 1986 Movie, "The Adventures of Mark Twain", this segment is very loosely based on the Book "The Mysterious Stranger"

You'll cowards won't even watch Watership Down.

1:  I know viper the rapper memes are old as hell.  Sue me.

2:  I just found out watership Down (The REAL one.........) is actually on youtube. Again.  No points for guessing what I'll be watching.

3:  There is no three.  Three is but an illusion.  This time.

10 minutes ago, Deadly_Raver said:

You'll cowards won't even watch Watership Down.

Actually I did watched it, its pretty fucked up even for an animated film.
The two Heavy Metal films aren't as bloody. 

I also helped someone write up a Watership Down RPG campaign in the Gurps system. 
There an Watership down/Secret of Nim setting floating around somewhere we download and use that as the base. 

23 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

She's got the perfect voice for it. I'm not some huge fan of hers but she's got a sort of deep, raspy southern drawl that fits that song so well. 

Yea it's was just good for me. It's not very different from the Cranberries version so I don't really see a reason for it outside of you guys made it sound like she was doing a studio recording and not a live performance.

In that respect well done.  Also I guess I just don't dig her voice very much. 

2 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

w281ahdl2ai11.jpg?width=616&height=616

I laughed then felt sad...

Aw DAMN.  That one hurt.

3 hours ago, GreatDarkHero said:

The only politics that should be talked of here is whether Chun-Li or Cammy would win that scissor battle. 

That's what truly matters. That's the real game. 

Y'all know this. 

see?  Now I'm gonna have to be THAT guy.

Chun Li Vs. Poison scissor battle. 

I'll be hiding in witness protection until the heat dies down.

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Don't forget that @misterBeemade an Art Thread

I made that art thread... I think? Or maybe I inspired it? I don't know anymore. I'll find it, but in the meantime:

2 hours ago, Deadly_Raver said:

Aw DAMN.  That one hurt.

How young is that kid?? Even I grew up with those. I can fix both a VCR, DVR and cassette tape recorder! What sort of sheltering is this? That kid will 100% cry over a skinned knee...

17 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

More bodies onstage=more hype show for a lot of people

I once caught a festival show at a large outdoor pavilion back in the day that was headlined by The Roots and Outkast, with Outkast as the closing act.

The Roots filled the stage with a full band, all live instruments, guest performers, and back-up singers.

Outkast followed that as just two dudes on a mostly empty stage.  And it wasn't that they weren't great or anything, but it looked REALLY empty up there following The Roots.

12 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Have you guys heard anything about the Azeri forces attacking Nagorno-Karabakh?

Honestly I haven't followed much of the Armenian/Azerbijani conflict.

/pol/ is usually amazing at keep up to date with info like that but I don't know enough about the region to sort out what the history of the situation really is.