Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

On 3/9/2022 at 7:12 AM, Sonichuman said:

I reeeeally don't think they needed to do this but at the same time from a company social perspective I get it.  Can't run the risk of seeming insensitive at this time when you have games with tanks and wars and invasions and all that.  We aren't the ones being invaded and having our kids getting bombed out because of an assholes whims so I can't even rightfully say 'You guys don't need to do this' cause I'm not the one being directly effected.  Sucks a duck but again I get it.

And yet I was still playing Counterstrike in PC cafes well after 9/11 hit and no one said a word. But again I said this in the other Nintendo thread, Nintendo DID do this delaying Advance Wars 1 until Jan 02 in EU/JP while the US got AW1 Sept 10th...

1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

And yet I was still playing Counterstrike in PC cafes well after 9/11 hit and no one said a word. But again I said this in the other Nintendo thread, Nintendo DID do this delaying Advance Wars 1 until Jan 02 in EU/JP while the US got AW1 Sept 10th...

Counterstrike was already released before a nearly a year before 9/11 happened so not quite in the same boat.

Super Nintendo World is finally going to open up in the US, Universal Hollywood Park first next year.

https://www.ign.com/articles/super-nintendo-world-universal-studios-hollywood-2023-opening-announced

Gamescom planning to be a hybrid in person and online event

https://www.ign.com/articles/gamescom-2022-will-be-in-person-and-online-hybrid

Waiting on E3 to make a decision so I can put in my time accordingly...they need to hurry up.

2 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Is the FireCuda 1TB SSD with heatsink good for $189?

You can get a better value for your money elsewhere. This SSD costs $129

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093DP3X4H/ref=twister_B09KM3BZSS?_encoding=UTF8&coliid=I2GOGDWL5XYPTT&colid=27A51509VCTMB&th=1

Though the heatsink it comes with is trash. Assuming this is for a PS5 I would get this

https://www.amazon.com/SABRENT-Heatsink-PS5-Console-SB-PSHS/dp/B09HSQQWCL/ref=pd_day0fbt_img_1/136-2734593-0009965?pd_rd_w=kjI3X&pf_rd_p=bcb8482a-3db5-4b0b-9f15-b86e24acdb00&pf_rd_r=0PQ3G7FNWVH5FQPXMNQV&pd_rd_r=4ec63d13-8825-443b-9e1d-aeaa11fec5c0&pd_rd_wg=TfIm1&pd_rd_i=B09HSQQWCL&psc=1

The combine cost comes out to cheaper than the firecuda

If you weren’t aware, Chocobo Racing is now out. It has micro transactions.

Unfortunately doesn’t seem to be like Crash Team Racing where stuff can be unlocked easily by just playing. 

The premium currency will also disappear when not used.

Edit: While free Mythril will expire, the one using your actual bucks will not. Thanks @AriesWarlock

Edited by BornWinner
19 hours ago, J-ride said:

I am still hoping for an eventual steam release of Bloodborne just because I know some fan patch will fix everything that is wrong with the game and finally make the game perfect.  Loved that game but the loading times were PAAAAAIIINNNNNFFULLLL.

I don't mind the loading times as much but while I hope there is some kind of remaster of it, it sounds like getting it to 60fps would be a pretty massive undertaking. That said, I would absolutely buy another console or a better PC to play a Bloodborne remaster.

18 hours ago, J-ride said:

I beat Bloodborne with strength build whirligig.  Whirligig is truth, whirligig is life.

black and white animation GIF

I made a str invasion build and have been using Whirligig alongside Amygdalan Arm and Saw Spear. Never really used it or the Arm but I really have been liking them a lot, they're pretty effective weapons when used right.

Oh and Cannon. Nothing like the salt of some host thinking he and his coop buddy have you and then you pull the cannon and lay them to waste. 😂

11 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Been awhile since I've gotten drunk while gaming, that shit seem like it unlocks some hidden potential like Gohan. I'm over here running through Tales of Arise. I might need to hop on KOF 15 while I'm still lit 😂

This is fax. I've watched replays of some of my SamSho matches I played when I was really lit and I'm beasting on people I probably have no business beasting on and being brash as fuck about it 😂

Edited by DoctaMario

I figured a lot of work went in to getting those old TMNT games on modern systems. Sure Konami made the games but they didn't have the rights to the '87 Turtles. Then you've got the music from '89 AC TMNT and TMNTII: The Arcade Game, which heavily uses music from the opening and other music from the show. That was probably owned by someone else. Copyright must have been a nightmare to sort through to get these games on this collection.

But he'd have to download roms of the games unless he dumps them himself.  And we all know how terrible it is to pirate games and such.  I mean, if you pirate those tmnt games you're sure to put some company outta bidness.

You also wouldnt have scan lines or whatever.  Emulation is just terrible...

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
4 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

But he'd have to download roms of the games unless he dumps them himself.  And we all know how terrible it is to pirate games and such.  I mean, if you pirate those tmnt games you're sure to put some company outta bidness.

Make sure you let Nintendo or VG  company know this if you ever get handed a lawsuit.  I'm sure they'll empathize with you.

13 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

You also wouldnt have scan lines or whatever.  Emulation is just terrible...

Or he could play them on Gamecube...

Why would I get a lawsuit?  You really think they'd go after someone for pirating 30 year old games?  If I opened a little store online and tried to sell those pirated 30 year old games, yeah they might come after me.  But I dont do that...so they dont give a fuck about me.

Also, he'd have to buy a gamecube if he didnt have one and the games.  Does the gamecube let you play ripped/backup games?

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

I loved that old arcade game so much...it was strange that there wasn't that many copycats featuring big-name IPs at the time....at least from what I remember.  Imagine how cool a 4-player Transformers game would've been in that style...or a 4-player GI Joe, Thundercats, Silverhawks, etc.  Companies could've made a killing just repackaging the same shit over and over, swapping out the Turtles for the Autobots, then the Thundercats, Silverhawks, etc....and my generation would've gladly dumped money into it all day.... GI Joe and Silverhawks would need to be a mixture of shooting with regular fighting though...

Sectaurs would've been cool too, but it was a complete failure as a show, and these days, very few people besides me even remember it, sadly.

16 minutes ago, MillionX said:

I loved that old arcade game so much...it was strange that there wasn't that many copycats featuring big-name IPs at the time....at least from what I remember.  Imagine how cool a 4-player Transformers game would've been in that style...or a 4-player GI Joe, Thundercats, Silverhawks, etc.  Companies could've made a killing just repackaging the same shit over and over, swapping out the Turtles for the Autobots, then the Thundercats, Silverhawks, etc....and my generation would've gladly dumped money into it all day.... GI Joe and Silverhawks would need to be a mixture of shooting with regular fighting though...

Sectaurs would've been cool too, but it was a complete failure as a show, and these days, very few people besides me even remember it, sadly.

IMO, those belt scrollers like X-Men, TMNT, Final Fight, etc, they were all awesome back in the day in arcades.  They were perfect to play for like 5-10 minutes at a time on a couple bucks, playing with random strangers or your friends.   But when you play them at home, as a grown adult, they just aren't the same as they used to be.  

One glaring one to me is The Simpsons.  I LOVED that game as a kid and would play it every chance I got.  I played it a couple months ago, start to finish, on my MAME cab on a CRT so it is basically arcade perfect, and it simply is not a great game lol.  It's cheap as hell and it is just so god damn hard on the later levels.  

Playing these older games, especially the light gun games I have, it's so obvious that these games were designed from the ground up to take your money.  I'm not saying that can't be fun or anything either, but when you are younger and playing them, you don't think about that stuff and don't really get "why" the games are as cheap as they are at certain points.  But as an adult who understands it now, it's just a different type of game to play.

EDIT:

The cheapest light gun one I have is Police Trainer.  On the final level you have these targets in a grid that you have to hit in order.  Well the way they make you keep playing over and over and paying to play is that literally your aim is not where you are aiming.  Like it offsets your aim to make you miss targets, even when you have it right up against the screen directly over the target.  Then magically after continuing like 5-6 times, your aim is magically better.

It's genius in hindsight but damn it's cheap lol.

Edited by purbeast
1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Why would I get a lawsuit?  You really think they'd go after someone for pirating 30 year old games?  If I opened a little store online and tried to sell those pirated 30 year old games, yeah they might come after me.  But I dont do that...so they dont give a fuck about me.

Also, he'd have to buy a gamecube if he didnt have one and the games.  Does the gamecube let you play ripped/backup games?

The chances of Nintendo or any VG company looking for you at this point and time is slim since they have bigger fish to fry (namely the actual websites hosting the roms) but you seemed to be sarcastically twisting what you do as a victimless crime so you should be able to do it when I'm saying sarcastically that if the they did decide to come for you that your reasoning would not hold water.  They're going for the people they perceive as the biggest threat at the moment so no you're not going to be on the radar but if its anything like the TV and Film companies, if they really wanted to they can ask the ISP providers who's been dling certain files and pinpoint who those people are.  I got a C&D from Verizon on behalf of WB when I dled Smallville from a torrent for my wife so I know if they can find me and send me something then they certainly can find others.

9 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I really dont care much...ive dealt with your kind plenty and nothing changes so...I'm curious to know who you think the victim is in this "crime" you speak of.

Bruh...lol

Listen...I don't care what you do honestly.  You wanna keep stealing your games that you don't feel its worth the money to purchase?  You do you.  All I'm saying is that your thought process on it being a victimless crime would not fly...it does not hold water.  That would go for any company period, it doesn't matter if they are a billion dollar company and have more money than what they know what to do with.  If you're downloading a copy of a game that you didn't pay for then from their eyes and the courts eyes that's technically illegal.   And to be clear I'm not even trying to defend Nintendo or any VG company that decides to come for people for emulation and roms cause I'm slightly more on the "I'd like games to be preserved and people need to be able to play older games more easily and if they can't do it legally well..."  What I'm saying is purely from an objective standpoint.

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

IMO, those belt scrollers like X-Men, TMNT, Final Fight, etc, they were all awesome back in the day in arcades.  They were perfect to play for like 5-10 minutes at a time on a couple bucks, playing with random strangers or your friends.   But when you play them at home, as a grown adult, they just aren't the same as they used to be.  

One glaring one to me is The Simpsons.  I LOVED that game as a kid and would play it every chance I got.  I played it a couple months ago, start to finish, on my MAME cab on a CRT so it is basically arcade perfect, and it simply is not a great game lol.  It's cheap as hell and it is just so god damn hard on the later levels.  

Playing these older games, especially the light gun games I have, it's so obvious that these games were designed from the ground up to take your money.  I'm not saying that can't be fun or anything either, but when you are younger and playing them, you don't think about that stuff and don't really get "why" the games are as cheap as they are at certain points.  But as an adult who understands it now, it's just a different type of game to play.

EDIT:

The cheapest light gun one I have is Police Trainer.  On the final level you have these targets in a grid that you have to hit in order.  Well the way they make you keep playing over and over and paying to play is that literally your aim is not where you are aiming.  Like it offsets your aim to make you miss targets, even when you have it right up against the screen directly over the target.  Then magically after continuing like 5-6 times, your aim is magically better.

It's genius in hindsight but damn it's cheap lol.

yeah this is the 1 thing I hate about arcade games from that era... developers started to realize the obvious way to scheme there... just make the games throw out cheap bullshit at certain points so it's guaranteed to make the player lose so they keep those quarters flowing.  I hate that "dishonest" kind of design there... where it's no longer about making a game that is great...but more about making cheap situations that just force the players to lose so you get more money.  In comparison, of course home/console games were generally designed without that in mind, it seems...

....until of course the DLC and microtransaction era....where now they're surely aware that you could do sneaky shit like "adjust" the exp you're getting so the player might be inclined to just buy the shortcut... or "adjust" the drop rate behind the scenes so that the player is inclined to spend real money to get that cool rare character skin or item.  haha, launch-era Diablo 3 was blatant about the shit...the drop-rates and everything about it was designed around the fact that there was a "Real Money Auction House"...so chances of getting a legendary weapon normally was something crazy like 1 in a billion probably...but you could just go over to that auction house bullshit and buy something. Normal gold drops were pathetic too; another way of trying to push players towards the auction house thing.  It's some scumbag shit to design a game that way.