Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-ps5-firmware-2-0-tested-m-2-nvme-storage-tested-can-it-match-the-stock-drive

Apparently off-the-shelf PCIE-4 m.2 SSDs run about the same speed as (or sometimes better than) the PS5's own internal drive.  At least for now the much hyped PS5 drive isn't as special as people thought.

Also I'm hype for this:

8 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Extra

We talked about this game like a couple weeks ago didn't we?

Yeah.

I remember that while many people were pissed that another LOK game was cancelled, the general consensus was that perhaps it was a good call, since it wasn't what the fans wanted in basically any front.

No continuation of the storyline, No Amy Henning at the helm of the story, no returning chars/cast from old games, the game being aesthetically different from what came before, etc, etc.

Like Matt said, is funny how SE is ok on wasting money with things like Avengers, yet is fine with letting stuff like Deus Ex and LK sit idle don't doing anything.

Yea as much as I love LOK that wasn't what I wanted and I wasn't sad to see it canceled. 

I sure was sad to see Nosgoth didn't get canceled. 

Also yea the Deus Ex situation is getting painful. SE mismanaged that property and seem to have somewhat spoiled a really good thing there as far as fan perception of the product is concerned. Augment you Preorder was a HUGE fucking mistake from jump. 

18 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea as much as I love LOK that wasn't what I wanted and I wasn't sad to see it canceled. 

Also yea the Deus Ex situation is getting painful. SE mismanaged that property and seem to have somewhat spoiled a really good thing there as far as fan perception of the product is concerned. Augment you Preorder was a HUGE fucking mistake from jump. 

I remember working at GameStop at the time when that Deus Ex game was being promoting. Basically having a Kickstarter style pre-order bonus scale killed the game before it even had a chance. 

when we opened the press kit for it at work we all just stood slack jawed going “square can’t be serious with this shit”

14 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Extra

We talked about this game like a couple weeks ago didn't we?

yeah, I hated that this was canceled...but like most fans I really just wanted another game featuring Kain as the main character...and with it being either "stylish action" like a DMC or like a God of War sort of thing....preferably DMC.

Diablo 3---I just got my first ethereal weapon... a "Soul Harvest" for my necromancer.  Holy SHIT man the stats on this bitch...this is insane... it's a damn shame these weapons are only for the season... one of the stats is "+100% to all Necromancer skills" 😳

Edited by MillionX
10 hours ago, RSG3 said:

This is one of those things where if a company has too many IP under their belt they neglect some and why consolidation can be bad.

Both LoK and Deus Ex could be successful even if you reboot them or return to previous continuity. The problem is the company would rather not put out the money because they keep making unrealistic expectations for their games to sell blockbuster numbers or comparing it to more popular games they make without giving them a shot to find new audiences. The Mario Kart vs any other less popular Nintendo racer specifically F-Zero situation comes to mind as well.

Ok so yeah---The Ascent is some good shit, folks.  I love the way this game plays so far.  There's some issues though...I was trying to play co-op with a friend yesterday and it was constant problems like every 20 to 30 minutes or so....things would be fine, then suddenly one of us is dropped from the session and looking at the xbox dashboard again...and of course that eventually kills the game for the other person as well since you'll get "lost connection to host player" or whatever....then on another occasion, all my items were unequipped when we got back into the game *and* a few items were gone....I had this cool "augment" where I summon a robot to help fight...and it just vanished from inventory.  Then there's the "stuttering" visuals...not sure if that's connection (since my connection has been occasionally terrible for months now) or the game itself and how players connect in multiplayer....this lead to some situations where it's just impossible to survive, since a shootout kicks off while from my perspective, the screen is frozen for about 5 seconds.  And a bit of a nitpick...it would be nice if your co-op friend showed up on the minimap... if they run off from your "screen area" while you happen to be in inventory or otherwise distracted, it doesn't appear that you can see where they are unless you pull up the main map....at least you can still find them that way, but most games also show the other players on the minimap too, since that's easier/quicker to track your allies' position.

Diablo II folks.... it's almost time... the open beta happens a some point soon this month.

D3-- this is how insane these ethereals are, man... that one I found a while ago....it's a level 17 ethereal weapon...my character on xbox this season is now level 64 or so....and I'm STILL using that level 17 ethereal....I probably should switch to something else but the status on there are ridiculous; I don't want to give all that up... +100% damage to ALL necro skills, bruh?  ...and it includes 1 of the Necro's passives on the weapon?! (+ a lot of other shit)

Sheet GIF

Edited by MillionX

^haha this is what I was suspecting in Back 4 Blood..... 2 different voice lines that happen to be "NNNNnnn!!" and "Gaahhhhh!!!"  It's hilarious they didn't think of what might happen amidst the chaotic action of the game as various soundbytes are happening at the same time... 😆

On another note ---yet another disappointing one...as I found out this is of course another game that's online-only, I see.  OF COURSE.  It won't be long before this is just the unfortunate reality of how all games are made....just watch---even small-scale 1-player indie titles...perhaps your usual "metroidvania" or "Megaman style" little action game...those will eventually be "online onlyLOLLL" too.  It's unavoidable.

ha, from that channel with the "Wut Happen" vids I love so much...this gone be good 🤣

sheeeittt, the memories, man....I rented the SNES version way back then... later I ended up buying Shaq-Fu from a comics/collectibles shop years later for 3 bucks... I still have it.

...oh but NOPE---it doesn't hold the crown.  The worst I've ever played was that Rise of the Robots game; I rented the PlayStation version.  That game was terrible in every possible way, except *maybe* the graphics for the time...and even that much of a compliment is a "maybe".

Edited by MillionX

Darksiders III getting squeezed down on the Switch

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/08/darksiders-iii-coming-to-switch-on-september-30

I'm reading some of the comments saying that apparently this game had technical issues in performance on the last gen consoles so this is going to be interesting to see what they do to make this work on Switch.

Xbox announces their Xbox Stream for Gamescom

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/08/gamescom-2021-xbox-stream-set-for-august-24

Edited by Sonichuman
24 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Vids

Reveal hidden contents

Burn looks like it's having an identity crisis. 

Font looks like a death metal t-shirt, but it's about a pop star.

I have a feeling it's going to play like reigns or something.  I'm interested in what this ends up being 

Completely random post, apparently Mass Effect Andromeda multiplayer is still a thing. I figured it would have been shut down. I logged into ME:A just see to see how the facial animations compared to the ME Trilogy and I clicked multiplayer for lawls and got a match right away. Side note: The one thing Andromeda did nail was combat. It's the best in the franchise IMO with ME3 just behind it.

55 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Yeah I was just looking into this rumor that came across my feed and apparently the rumor started coming from Melia's voice actor mentioning something in an interview which made me extremely curious.  As far as I'm aware XC2 and XC1 aren't connected really so I'm wondering how XC3 is going to be a direct sequel to XC2 in the future and how Melia is going to be involved.

1 minute ago, Sonichuman said:

Yeah I was just looking into this rumor that came across my feed and apparently the rumor started coming from Melia's voice actor mentioning something in an interview which made me extremely curious.  As far as I'm aware XC2 and XC1 aren't connected really so I'm wondering how XC3 is going to be a direct sequel to XC2 in the future and how Melia is going to be involved.

The way the game ended. They themselves up well. They literally have whole new world that was essentially created. I just hope the artstyle is more like XC:DE or like the blade versions of the Shulk and Fiora from XBC2.

13 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I just hope they don’t make it weeb and IMO cringe as fuck like they did XBC2. I couldn’t finish it. It was just too many anime tropes I hate all at once and constantly being shoved in my face

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

the games are connected but in a way you wouldn't know unless you beat both games.

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

I just hope they don’t make it weeb and IMO cringe as fuck like they did XBC2. I couldn’t finish it. It was just too many anime tropes I hate all at once and constantly being shoved in my face

this is how i know im too far gone. all i saw was a big tiddy waifu and a tiny nigga in a anime scuba suit and was like "im fine with this" and had a pretty good time although it took me two attempts to get a handle on the battle system as it kept adding shit the further you got.

26 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I wanted to stick around for big anime tiddy and the cat girl but I didn't enjoy the combat at all. I found it slow and hated that I needed to rely on combos to do any kind of significant damage. I stopped at the 30 hour mark.

I stopped right around the same time for that reason as well, as well as the other stuff I mentioned 

you know all of monolith softs games combat systems are about building up to some big combo or super move and doing most of your damage in one big burst.

its especially noticeable in xenosaga ep 2 and  baten kaitos origins where it can take forever to kill stuff. tho i guess in origins  endgame if you use burst mode and have that one string of moves with sagi you will just murder every boss i think it was apothesis or anti some shit.

6 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm reading some of the comments saying that apparently this game had technical issues in performance on the last gen consoles so this is going to be interesting to see what they do to make this work on Switch.

It absolutly did, I might still have some of the footage on my PS4 of the Boundary Breaks I found, if so I'll upload them. 

Edited by RSG3