Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

2 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Apparently that hasn't happened since the Famicon in 1988. Crazy. What's going on with Sony? They just don't have a market in Japan anymore? I guess you need games in order to have a market 😂

Japan always favored portables over home consoles and the Switch is a portable. That chart comes to no surprise to me. Sony having some games that appeal to their home market would help. I doubt those commies in California would understand that.

17 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Japan always favored portables over home consoles and the Switch is a portable. That chart comes to no surprise to me. Sony having some games that appeal to their home market would help. I doubt those commies in California would understand that.

man the sudden shift by sony would seem surprising but money and their assumption that their gonna get all the japanese games by default and you could kinda see it coming.

Never actually heard the source track for that infamous Zero Wing meme remix that I always heard back in the day so interesting to hear it.

NPD July 2021 numbers got put up

https://venturebeat.com/2021/08/13/july-2021-npd-ps5-and-switch-lead-the-way-to-10-year-over-year-growth/

https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/1426164906622021640/photo/1

Hardware and other tidbits:  Switch is the best selling console in unit sales for the month and is still the best selling VG hardware year to date for both unit and dollar sales currently.  PS5 led in dollar sales for the month.

Skyward Sword joy con sales were ridiculous and it ended up being the best selling accessory for July.  PS5 DualSense White Controller is best selling accessory year to date.

MLB the Show, Monster Hunter Stories 2 and Skyward Sword were the new coming stars for the month.  MLB ended up surpassing RE8 for the 2nd best selling game of the year and saw sales that are the highest in franchise history.  Stories 2 came in at 3rd for the month and ended up more than tripling the LIFETIME sales of its predecessor.  Skyward Sword managed to take top spot for the month and is the first Ninty published title to lead for monthly best sellers this year since the launch of SM3DW+BF

Software

Top 20 for July:  LoZ: SSHD, CoD Blops: CW, Monster Hunter Stories 2: WoR, MK8D, Minecraft (.....????  Did the Sonic event put it back up here in top 5?), Mario Golf: Super Rush, MLB: The Show 21, Miles Morales (nice to see this game is still selling steadily), CoD MW 2019, Smash Ult, Ratchet & Clank Rift apart, AC: NH, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2, SM3DW+BF, MK11, Neo: TWEWY, LoZ: BotW, Pokemon Sw/Sh, RE8 (this game dropped hard...was 6 last month),  Ass Creed: Valhalla

Top 10 year to date: CoD Blops CW, MLB The Show 21, RE8, SM3DW+BF, Miles Morales, MH: Rise, MK8D, Minecraft, Ass Creed: Valhalla, AC:NH

top 10 for the last 12 months:  CoD Blops CW, Dat Madden 21, Ass Creed: Valhalla, Miles Morales, SM3DW+BF, AC: NH, NBA 2K21, Marvel's Avengers, MK8D, FIFA 21

Top 10 for Xbox: CoD Blops CW, CoD MW 2019, Ass Creed Valhalla, Mass Effect LE, Forza Horizon 4, MK11, Minecraft, RE8, CoD Blops III, MLB The Show 21

Top 10 for Playstation: CoD Blops CW, Miles Morales, MLB The Show 21,  Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Minecraft, CoD: MW 2019, UFC 4, RE 8, Ass Creed Valhalla, MK11

Top 10 for Nintendo: LoZ: SSHD, Monster Hunter Stories 2: WoR, MK8D, Mario Golf: Super Rush, Smash Ult, AC: NH, SM3DW+BF, LoZ: BotW, Pokemon Sw/Sh, Super Mario Party

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Pokemon is having a presentation on 08/18

Alright so we got the Indie pres and we're getting Pokemon presenation this month....where's the direct at Ninty?

Man, glad(?) to see gamexplain still spams uploads with even the tiniest bit of news. Lol. 

I’m actually super excited about the direct. I’m really curious about all the QoL adjustments and additions they’re adding to DPP. 

I wanna know more about the Arceus legends too, obviously. Semi-open world Pokémon title sounds hella promising. 

27 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Man, glad(?) to see gamexplain still spams uploads with even the tiniest bit of news. Lol. 

I’m actually super excited about the direct. I’m really curious about all the QoL adjustments and additions they’re adding to DPP. 

I wanna know more about the Arceus legends too, obviously. Semi-open world Pokémon title sounds hella promising. 

Well...Gamexplain doesn't have a website so the only way they can put up any news is in video form.  or through Twitter but I'm not really that in tune with twitter.

Edited by Sonichuman

With how lackluster "AAA" games have been lately I am slowly shifting towards more smaller titles and some are quite enjoyable.

Take for example Iron Meat. It has a two level demo available on Steam and they plan to have it released this autumn.

The gameplay is pure Contra / Super C with great controls and a killer soundtrack.

If the full game is anything like the Demo then these guys deserve our support.

Diablo II beta starts today if you pre-ordered already... unfortunately the necromancer isn't playable in the beta, but the druid is so I started with that one....on the first level-up I already have the werewolf transformation now.  This is all new for me, actually... despite being such a fan of D3 and having played the first one, I missed out on D2; I realize that a lot of Diablo fans still consider this one to be the best of the franchise.

mannn it's such a shame that D4 will be online-only on all platforms...that shit is a heart-breaker, man....shitty ass decision that just about all these companies are pushing for these days... goddamn shame... aside from that disgusting flaw, part 4 is looking niiiiiice in all aspects so far.  Well, except that skill-tree looking rather small in comparison to other things.  Hopefully necromancer is in part 4 as well; I can't get enough of that character class.

Been playing axiom verge 2, pretty solid so far, though I do like the aesthetic of the first one more. I hate it when I get stuck on progression and it turns out to be something dumb- this case was a platform that blended into the background in an area with transparent clouds in the foreground. Hours later I finally look it up and I'm smacking myself in the head for missing it after trying everything else in that room several times while scouring the map. 

21 hours ago, RSG3 said:

@RegH81your first selection reminds me that i have never heard anhome talk about Threads of Fate before. Have you played it? Is it any good? It looks kinds interesting. 

Alas, I have never played Threads of Fate. It was release during Square's more experimental PS1 phase. With SaGa Frontier and Legend of Mana getting remasters, I'd hope we could see Threads of Fate get the same treatment. Despite never playing the game, the soundtrack has long been a favorite of mine.

@Darc_RequiemYo bro you posted your ME3 post in VGM, think you meant for it to be here so I'll respond here. 

Anyway, it sounds like someone finally developed a tool for installing mods to ME3 that really streamlines the process. I modded it way back, bout a year after it came out it was one of the most frustrating missing experiences I've ever had but as worth it because yea it improves the product by a good deal, cranks QOL by a large margin and just over all makes a much more rewarding experience. 

I've kind of been wanting to play through those again sometime soon. If the missing tools for those games are a lot more user friendly these days i'd be a lot more inclined to return and give it a go. 

On that note the Dark Souls episodes have been on hold since the drift on my controller is just too much of a hassle to continue so I'll be picking it back up when my new controller from Amazon arrived. In the mean time I've been playing Sekiro, the drift doesn't seem to effect that game quite as bad, and it's been going so incredibly well that I think it's going to be the next series after Dark Souls. 

man, the Trag'Ouls necromancer set in Diablo 3 is fun and I love the "blood magic" theme of it..... a shame it's generally considered trash compared to most other sets in the game though...  if another set gets super-buffed anytime soon, I would hope that's one of them.  It's the reward set for completing this season journey as necromancer, and as usual I'm sure most players switch to something else the first chance they get since there's other options that are far more powerful.

I think the Back 4 Blood beta is going on right now, but I'm just in a pure Diablo kinda mood lately.

*on another note---it's good to see one of my friends finally getting through Kingdoms of Amalur; he's played the Switch version way more than I have at this point...the guy has about 80 hours in it so far.  Heh, I look forward to hearing about the latest adventures of his character.

7 hours ago, RSG3 said:

@Darc_RequiemYo bro you posted your ME3 post in VGM, think you meant for it to be here so I'll respond here. 

Anyway, it sounds like someone finally developed a tool for installing mods to ME3 that really streamlines the process. I modded it way back, bout a year after it came out it was one of the most frustrating missing experiences I've ever had but as worth it because yea it improves the product by a good deal, cranks QOL by a large margin and just over all makes a much more rewarding experience. 

I've kind of been wanting to play through those again sometime soon. If the missing tools for those games are a lot more user friendly these days i'd be a lot more inclined to return and give it a go. 

On that note the Dark Souls episodes have been on hold since the drift on my controller is just too much of a hassle to continue so I'll be picking it back up when my new controller from Amazon arrived. In the mean time I've been playing Sekiro, the drift doesn't seem to effect that game quite as bad, and it's been going so incredibly well that I think it's going to be the next series after Dark Souls. 

You are right. The mod manager does tweak things but it's still can be an issue if you want to run multiple mods together. A guy made a guide that basically tells which order to install the mods so you don't have problems. I used that. The big issue modders haven't been able to get around is the memory limit. ME3 maxes out a 3.5GB of RAM. They've seem to get a handle on it for most situations but the Shepards armor locker has really terrible memory management. So if you add too many armors and casual appearances it can hard lock your system.   

Edit: Spoiler tagged this....got long winded. Didn't want to annoy people not interested with a wall of text.

Spoiler

That said, after finally getting things up and running it's worth it. While a lot of the big changes are cool, it's the little ones that make such an impact for me. They did a lot of things for lore consistency. The Reapers look like they did in ME2. Nyreen isn't the only Turian female in the universe. They have several NPCs now. There is a basically meaningless side quest to upgrade lighting for Purgatory that you do. In the modded version, after you finish they quest, you can see the difference. The 2D sprites they used in Purgatory for the backgrounds are 3D models. On Eden Prime, the civilian bodies are just that civilians. In the vanilla game they are Alliance Marines. The biggest one is the ambient conversations. In vanilla game you got a few sentences, they'd stop, and you it would continue the next time you loaded into the area. In the modded version if you stand their, the whole conversation will play out.

All those little things aside there are actually some missions added that are impressive. Operation Paladin is fun and it makes use of the additions to the Normandy. You can add a mech bay to the cargo hold. During the mission you can send up a flare and the Normandy air drops one of your equipped mechs. You can get inside and the canopy glass isn't shattered. The base game acts as if every Atlas you enter has been damaged before hand. Impressive as that is, the Ark Mod adds a quest chain that connects Andromeda. Which is a really nice touch. I mean seeing Elcor soldiers on the Citadel is cool. The Elcor ambassador describes what they look like in the base game but actually seeing them armored up and looking like a walking tank is just fucking cool. I really like the "real time" war asset system. The value assets go up and down depending on game events. Finding ships will increase the value of that races assets. If the Reapers take a system, the fleet that was guarding it takes hit to their value. Some of the text based Spectre requisition quests play into this as well. You authorize actions that affect your assets. I made a choice that boosted my assets but it was taboo for Turian culture. Once what I did leaked out, not only did I lose the bonus I gained for it but my assets dropped in value from what they were before. I can't wait to get Earth and see my war assets actually matter. Seeing Geth, Salarians, and etc. show up as I fight way to the beam is gonna be great. Plus I know there is going to be no stupid Starchild waiting for me.

Edit:  NPCs actually wear casual clothes. The human ambassador is dressed in a three piece suit. Oriana actually looks like a younger Miranda. Not a character creator face like before. I could literally write a book on all the changes I keep finding.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

i finished monster hunter stories 2 last night it was pretty awesome if you like the monster collecting genre. i also got to celestial in strive with pot so i guess it was a constructive weekend as far as gaming goes.

i got to  finish the tales of destiny english translation patch that came out recently and then i don't know if i wanna go through the two ar tonelico ps2 games or the devil summoner ps2 games next. 

Edited by nickmanx5

Finished Axiom Verge 2 yesterday (not 100% yet). Good game, great soundtrack. I like the traversal upgrades and the "dark world" implementation a lot- one item allows you to overlay the other dimension, which is really cool and helpful. Fast travel options are also much better than other Metroid-ish games. Combat honestly isn't good- I felt this was a weak point in the fist one as well, but being more melee focused makes the stupid/annoying enemy AI (whose goal seems to be floating around inside your sprite where hitting them is frustrating) stand out even worse. Bosses are as lame or even more lame than the first one. Generic upgrades are way more useful and satisfying to find since most of them are points you can choose to allocate where you'd like. Certainly not the best in the genre, but well worth getting if it's up your alley- the map/traversal, the soundtrack, and the item hunting are good. Once again, I'm very glad the indie/modern retro scene exists- a huge chunk, if not the majority, of the games I've enjoyed for the last 6 or 7 years has came from that space. 

Side note-  I suggest turning up the platform contrast (in accessibility options) if you play it to avoid getting hung up somewhere dumb like I did.

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

An interesting little cheap one I just noticed on the eShop... this takes me back because they went for that old "LCD screen" from the ancient times of "Tiger handheld" portable gaming...it looks like it just plays like another version of Time Pilot

I had a bunch of lcd electronic games back when I was a kid. Had Double Dragon 1 & 2, Metal Gear Snake's Revenge (which talked), The Real Ghostbusters, this chopper game, etc. I wish those were more widely available in emulation. 

On 8/14/2021 at 2:25 AM, Hecatom said:

Late VGM Fridays...

... Not really a VGM, but heavily inspired by

So this is definitely "Bloody Tears" but they also use another track from Castlevania for influence that starts around 2:47 and I feel its specifically from Castlevania 3 but I can't make out what the name of the track is.  I'm homing it right now and I'm trying to locate it.