Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I don't know if it's luck or opportunity that SquareEnix promoting the shit out of XIV at the same time Activision-Blizzard became a shit show.

Sure the Endwalker expansion coming up for FF XIV this fall, and Sqenix is promoting the hell out of XIV with free Realms Reborn play
But Endwalker must of been in development for Months if not years. 

But the Events that XIV been doing were fire. 

Also Square Enix don't wait till expansions to drop to add small bits of content. 
There alot of in-between stuff, added-value, and quality of life stuff added outside the expansions to the benefit of every player not just those who buy the expansions. 

Edited by DarkSakul

I had to do some research on this game and the devs cause I find it incredibly surprising that something like this flew under my radar for so long

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/382768/Ultra_Age_Announced_For_Worldwide_Release_Gameplay_Revealed.php

Apparently they showed it during the Guerrilla collective this year on June 5th.  This appears to be Korean made indie game and it's going to be on Switch and PS4.  Looks impressive for an indie title.  I mean the protagonist looks SUPER GENERIC but the combat and traversal looks like it has potential.

Man, the Kunio kun/River City games keep on surprising me with related titles I had no idea existed. A PC only River City game was not something I would have thought previously existed until I started searching for River City Underground and wondering what platform that dropped on.

9 hours ago, KingTubb said:

I started FFXIV a couple days ago. It's my first time dipping my toes into a MMORPG and it gotta say...

I'm enjoying everything so far. I was actually surprised when I didn't see a thread here, cause it looks like the NA servers are almost always full, so I'm guessing there's a few people here that play. 

If anyone is in Siren, let me know. You might wanna give me a week or so to get to a level where things start really opening up (I'm lvl 7 I think, have only had an hour or two to play) but I'd be down to squad up 

I've honestly avoided FFXIV because of how good I've heard it is. I just can't play a MMO, regular games, and work. I haven't played an MMO in over 15 years for that reason. Although I have to give EQ2 credit, the characters bios and interconnected story I constructed for them actually ended up inspiring my book. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
31 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Man, the Kunio kun/River City games keep on surprising me with related titles I had no idea existed. A PC only River City game was not something I would have thought previously existed until I started searching for River City Underground and wondering what platform that dropped on.

Thats an independant game built from the ground up to be River City Ransom and has no connection to the Kunio/Techno-Soft series. Just FYI.

Unfortunate that there's apparently no date for that Alien Hominid game on Switch, I guess.... that is definitely a buy for me.  I haven't played the original Alien Hominid since it was a new game way back on the xbox 360 "Live Arcade"....bit of a shame they dropped the "Live Arcade" name/concept...kinda takes a little of the fun away from the concept since everything is just "STORE" now on Live.

Quake - at least the earlier ones are something I missed out on, since that was a PC-only series until part 3 if I recall...so my only experience and memories are from playing Quake 3 Arena on the Dreamcast (*and in a computer lab at school for a short time).  Q3A on Dreamcast was the first game I played online multiplayer....so many good times; unfortunately this was the days of 56k though, but I'd get on late at night and go for hours.

One bit of Quake lore I remember was the mysterious "Vadigrar" ...apparently godlike beings who created the tournaments for their own amusement--> https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/Vadrigar

Diablo 2's open beta is tomorrow; 12pm Central Time.

Edited by MillionX
9 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Quake - at least the earlier ones are something I missed out on, since that was a PC-only series until part 3 if I recall...so my only experience and memories are from playing Quake 3 Arena on the Dreamcast (*and in a computer lab at school for a short time).  Q3A on Dreamcast was the first game I played online multiplayer....so many good times; unfortunately this was the days of 56k though, but I'd get on late at night and go for hours.

There is actually an N64 port of Quake as well as on the Saturn. 

They aren't terribly good mind you, but they do exist. 

Edited by RSG3

Greak: Memories of Azur is a game I'll be buying. The demo sold me on it, despite the faults I'm already seeing when it comes to controlling more than one character. I would so buy an art book of this game. The animation is CLEAN.

Aslo, who is the genius that decided it was a good idea to have rumble on by default in Dariusburst Another Chronicle EX+? Feels like I got a near constant mini earthquake going on in my hands. 

Since it is Friday, you already know what it is.

VGM Friday stuff:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

There is actually an N64 port of Quake as well as on the Saturn. 

They aren't terribly good mind you, but they do exist. 

The Saturn one was bad but a miracle it runs. the N64 one is subpar but playable. also I actually preferred the N64 music over the OG PC ver. I think the Aubrey Hodges N64 OST fits Quake better than the Trent Reznor ver. 

Thought there might be another dread report since a trailer was up aaaand there was

https://metroid.nintendo.com/news/metroid-dread-report-vol-5/

Edit:  Starting to believe some of the theories that the Galactic Federation set up some sort of trap for Samus because of the events of Fusion and the fact that as of right now she's the only being they know of that has Metroid DNA.  I think this is an attempt to by them to collect a sample of her blood using the EMMI so they can continue there experiments.   I'm about 65% on this train right now cause everything seems to be leading to that especially with the way how they've been extremely secretive about what happens when she gets to her destination.

Also big LOL at the federation asking for Samus to handle their lost crap with care.

Edited by Sonichuman
12 hours ago, RegH81 said:

For nearly two decades, I thought Oro only had one arm...

Hide contents

Gill can eat a BAG of nutsacks.

For a couple years I was the same... Mostly because at the time I rarely saw Oro in action cause no one I knew even gave his dry looking ass a chance.

Hell I forgot all about the damn turtle until his recent trailer dropped.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

It was months ago where Activision made Toys For Bob (studio of Crash 4) into a support team for CoD Warzone. They had to cancel planned content for Crash 4 when the order came down. 

One of their dumbest decisions ever if you ask me.

Not only they are once again reducing their library output by this decision, but also dooming another great studio into the COD coal mines.

At least they are still a studio unlike Vicarious that was merged into Blizzard, and with the shitshow they are having now there, the future of those people is kind of uncertain. 

They are wasting great talent.

I can't believe i am gonna say it, but EA with all the crap they do, is still better than Activision, lol.

Specially now that Vince Zampella has been working to improve how they do things there from within.

Not gonna lie, i was sure that Respawn was going to die once they became part of EA, but miraculously, not only they have survived, but also have been a force of change for the good there.

They still have a lot to improve, but you can see changes, at least for some parts of it.

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

It was months ago where Activision made Toys For Bob (studio of Crash 4) into a support team for CoD Warzone. They had to cancel planned content for Crash 4 when the order came down. 

I am aware, just wanted an excuse to post that gif. I remember posting about it in the last VG thread. Still hurts though especially with this update that all of their studios are working on COD.

I wasn’t planning on posting anything for it, but I may as well post my favorite Crash tracks for VGM Friday.

Spoiler