Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Sam Sho - Baiken vs Genjuro ^

I watched a couple of reviews on NMH III last night and I find it strange that Suda would make the open world in the manner he did after NMH 1 especially with it chugging the framerate.  Most of the reviews have been solid on the game regardless cept for IGN and Gamespot shitting on it.  I haven't watched either of those 2 to hear why the rated the game so low yet but I'll probably give a listen some time today.

6 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I beat TLOU last night. Fucking hell, what a great game. Brutal, but awesome. One of the best endings in any game I've ever played.

Play the Left Behind DLC if you haven't already. It ties up a lot of loose ends with Ellie regarding the first game. Plus it's only 2-3 hours long.

VGM Friday contributions (Quake inspired this week):

12 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I find it strange that Suda would make the open world in the manner he did after NMH 1 especially with it chugging the framerate. 

As someone who’s been in this series since the beginning, what you do in between missions is easily the most divisive thing in these games. The open world in the first game was a pretty much negative until the 2nd game took it away and people were angry about that. It probably put Suda in a weird spot on what to do without pissing off the most amount of people.

What are your thoughts on the ending?

Kinda still processing it. I understand why Joel lied to Ellie- one, to save her from the guilt of not fulfilling the mission at any cost, including her own sacrifice. But also because he finally opened himself up to her and allowed her to replace the void Sarah left, and he wasn't able to endure another loss like that. 

It also seemed like Ellie didn't believe him, but was willing to accept the lie, as she grew to depend on him, too.

I'm glad he saved her. From what I saw what was left of humanity, it wasn't worth saving anyway. Fuck it.

I especially liked the part where you finally get to the operating room and kill the fuck out of the evil doctors. I had just upgraded my shotgun and was saving my remaining ammo for the final boss fight. I completely DESTROYED THE FUCK out of everyone in the room in a matter of seconds. Didn't take any damage at all, lol 💪

Edited by Chadouken
Just now, BornWinner said:

As someone who’s been in this series since the beginning, what you do in between missions is easily the most divisive thing in these games. The open world in the first game was a pretty much negative until the 2nd game took it away and people were angry about that. It probably put Suda in a weird spot on what to do without pissing off the most amount of people.

But I know Suda knew that the open world wasn't running optimally and he just tried to make it work anyway.  I know there were a few who missed that NMH II didn't have an open world but my thing is if it wasn't running optimally then I would have thought he would have just scrapped it instead of it being bigger sore spot in the long run.

2 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Kinda still processing it. I understand why Joel lied to Ellie- one, to save her from the guilt of not fulfilling the mission at any cost, including her own sacrifice. But also because he finally opened himself up to her and allowed her to replace the void Sarah left, and he wasn't able to allow himself another loss like that. 

I'm glad he saved her. From what I saw what was left of humanity, it wasn't worth saving anyway. Fuck it.

I especially liked the part where you finally get to the operating room and kill the fuck out of the evil doctors. I had just upgraded my shotgun and was saving my remaining ammo for the final boss fight. I completely DESTROYED THE FUCK out of everyone in the room in a matter of seconds. Didn't take any damage at all, lol 💪

Whenever you get to ToU2....that game deals with the repercussions of the ending of 1.  I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on that game when you are done with it. 

Just now, Sonichuman said:

Whenever you get to ToU2....that game deals with the repercussions of the ending of 1.  I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on that game when you are done with it. 

My buddy is going to lend it to me soon. Looking forward to another whole game of Ellie and Joel! Especially Joel- he's one of my favorite videogame characters and I'm hype that we get another adventure with him!

VGM Friday. Sonic posted a lot of good tracks from NMH, so I’ll be posting a few more.

Spoiler

But I know Suda knew that the open world wasn't running optimally and he just tried to make it work anyway.  I know there were a few who missed that NMH II didn't have an open world but my thing is if it wasn't running optimally then I would have thought he would have just scrapped it instead of it being bigger sore spot in the long run.

True true. Hopefully it isn’t too bad when I get my hands on it. Outside of the open world, the game looks fantastic. 

14 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

My buddy is going to lend it to me soon. Looking forward to another whole game of Ellie and Joel! Especially Joel- he's one of my favorite videogame characters and I'm hype that we get another adventure with him!

You should play TLOU2 asap while it's fresh in your mind.  I hadn't played it since it launched when I went into TLOU2 and I forgot about a lot of the story.  And there were parts that I thought were SUPER cool with how it tied into the ending of TLOU1.

And yes, I will really want to hear your opinion/comments on part 2 once you're done with it.

12 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

The part with the 2 black brothers was gut wrenching.

Yeah man, that sucked. And piecing together what happened with Ish from the letters. I loved that whole sewer part with the two brothers. Was hoping they were going to be permanent characters. Was pretty shocked the way shit went down so abruptly.

But it also helps add context to the transformation Ellie goes through, becoming more hardened to the world.

Another part that got me was when Joel was about to leave Ellie with Tommy and she told him how everyone she's ever cared about had either died or abandoned her, except for Joel. And then he told her she was right- she isn't his daughter, and he ain't her fucking father. Fuck, man. 

Edited by Chadouken
5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

You should play TLOU2 asap while it's fresh in your mind.  I hadn't played it since it launched when I went into TLOU2 and I forgot about a lot of the story.  And there were parts that I thought were SUPER cool with how it tied into the ending of TLOU1.

What about the DLC content for the first game? Is that worth playing or should I just jump into part 2?

49 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Kinda still processing it. I understand why Joel lied to Ellie- one, to save her from the guilt of not fulfilling the mission at any cost, including her own sacrifice. But also because he finally opened himself up to her and allowed her to replace the void Sarah left, and he wasn't able to endure another loss like that. 

It also seemed like Ellie didn't believe him, but was willing to accept the lie, as she grew to depend on him, too.

One of the many moments in the game that made me ball my eyes out is after Ellie kills David and Joel finally finds Ellie and starts cradling her while calling her “baby girl”. Which is what he always called Sarah. It showed he loved Ellie like his own and that shit broke me. 

Edited by iStu X
6 minutes ago, iStu X said:

One of the many moments in the game that made me ball my eyes out is after Ellie kills David and Joel finally finds Ellie and starts cradling her while calling her “baby girl”. Which is what he always called Sarah. It showed he loved Ellie like his own and that shit broke me. 

Yeah man. The symbolism of him carrying Ellie out of the hospital the same way he was carrying Sarah before she died got me a little, too.

7 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

ohhh boy

That dude is super shady, he was doing something similar back in the 80's with the coin collectors market.

IIRC, regulkations were imposed on it to specifically prevent him to do that kind of shit back in the day, and here it is now, doing the same shit with the video game collectors market.

A total scumbag.

Edit

I am sure someone else posted this some days ago, but is worth watching/listening imo

Edited by Hecatom
3 hours ago, Skort said:

Kinda random but hairstyles in most recent games that let you create your own character are so fucking bad that i end up going with a bald character in 9/10 cases. 

I've always been kinda bummed that there weren't more hair options in Bloodborne, but you end up wearing a hat most of the time so it's like, whatever in the end

9 hours ago, Hecatom said:

That dude is super shady, he was doing something similar back in the 80's with the coin collectors market.

IIRC, regulkations were imposed on it to specifically prevent him to do that kind of shit back in the day, and here it is now, doing the same shit with the video game collectors market.

A total scumbag.

Edit

I am sure someone else posted this some days ago, but is worth watching/listening imo

Im so glad this shit is happening and they are getting caught. As i said a few pages ago the retro collecting market has been a shit show for about 15 years now and its very obviously price inflation and market manipulation doing it.

Ive needed this to come out, and for this retro bubble to burst for a while now. Im hoping this is the needle that pops the bag.

I finally decided to try Assassins Creed Valhalla.  I like this kinda game.  It feels like the Middle Earth games or Batman games.  I really like these kind of games.  Its cool that you can switch to a bird to see everything from its view. 

I have these games lined up for me now - GznbJzN.png

I haven't finished RE7...takin' longer than I thought.  So that means i haven't started RE8.  I think I'll go ahead and move that down and play through AC:Valhalla first.  Yeah, I have to assign myself games to complete else I'll jump around too much and not complete any.🤣

Play Synthetik

spacer.png

Streamed ,played and finished Call of Juarez : Gunslinger.

I played Bound in Blood some years ago but never got to play Gunslinger 'till now.  

Allow me to say that i enjoyed the game quite a lot. A sweet 'ol revenge story with a badass protagonist, Silas Greaves.

nvStM-tk.jpg

The main character narrates the story while you play and often ends up in discussions with the people that are listening to him ( he is in a bar ) that question if his tales are true or is he a washed up drunk that's looking for a free drink. It's fully self aware and the story is nothing incredible but quite enjoyable regardless. 

The combat is responsive and the shooting feels satisfying with multiple skill trees based on what weapon you prefer.

And for a game that's several years old i actually think it still holds up.

Call-of-Juarez-Gunslinger-Screenshot-202

We need more games like this imo,that just focus on the most important aspect of a video game, fun.