Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

haha I keep checking back on the comments for the Saint's Row reveal, and as always with youtube comment section, there's gold in there

(*about that weak-ass looking black character in the trailer...)

"They watched Batwoman and basically copied Luke Fox and made him slightly more moist"

🤣 I'm lovin' it.

I definitely look forward to whenever they reveal more about this game.  Apparently there is gameplay footage some have already seen (that wasn't shown off publicly at gamescom for some dumb reason) that looks awesome though....so there's that.

I got Aliens Fireteam Elite the other day, and yeahhh it's a good time.  This is actually the most fun I've had with an Aliens-related game since the old AvP Capcom arcade game.  I started off with the "Demolisher" class so far....sheeeittt, speaking of AvP----imagine if for DLC they added Predator aliens into the game!  ...or better yet... let you play as Predator aliens vs. the other "Alien" ones... HELL yeah I'd be down for that.

Edited by MillionX
3 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Well then i guess its a good thing the create a character system is confirmed to be returning.

Yeah I'm actually looking forward to Saint's Row. If you read up on what the game does it seems interesting. You basically build your own criminal operation from the ground up. I think the game's trailer is doing it a huge disservice.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah I'm actually looking forward to Saint's Row. If you read up on what the game does it seems interesting. You basically build your own operation from the ground up. I think the game's trailer is doing it a huge disservice.

I thought it was fine enough for an announcment trailer, but it would do them well to follow up with a trailer about the main gameplay loop. Like they should have done both. Saints Row is as much about its characters as it is its gameplay so a character focused trailer like the reveal was a good idea, but we need one on the gameplay loop and mechanics to accompany it due to how different each SR game can be from another. Thats where the balls being dropped imo.

57 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Well then i guess its a good thing the create a character system is confirmed to be returning.

The black guy appears to be a side-character anyway, like Gat or Pierce in the older games....it's funny that he looks like the type of kid that would get sucker-punched and generally bullied all through life during school though.  That guy is pure Steve Urkel status. 😆

Y'know, it reminds me again of how great the general "pitch" for Saints Row 4 is....just how insane the game sounds... I always liked seeing people's reaction when I explain it to them...

So get this; player character is a former gang boss that is now the President of the United States... Keith David is your VP.  He's not playing a character... it's Keith David as himself."

Person hearing this for the first time: "....WHAT. 😮"

but WAIT! THERE'S MORE! I haven't even told ya about the aliens yet...😆  Hostile aliens show up and throw the world into The Matrix....which explains why you also have superpowers...  it is up to you to save the world.  There is also a dubstep weapon at your disposal....we also might bring back that big dildo weapon from part 3."

sheeeeitttt, no game series has served up "the funny" to such an insane degree quite like Saint's Row.  Sooo many good times were had.

edit---heh, I just remembered that first time I saw footage of someone playing either part 2 or 3...probably part 3... with a character they customized to look just like Barack Obama.  Back in part 2 I played thru as John McCain one time... I've also played as T-800, Ronald McDonald, Destro, Neo, etc...I made Action Jackson Carl Weathers one time..... that game is the gift that keeps on giving.

Edited by MillionX
22 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I see people complain about how games are now...nothing but remakes and redoes of old games. 

I love remakes, especially if it's a game I liked, or one I hadn't played yet like Demon's Souls, which introduced me to the Souls games. FFVII Remake was dope. Link's Awakening is fucking awesome. Mario All-Stars was great back in the day. Metroid II is badass.

I like new games too.

16 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I knew a few of you would come in and say that you like remakes.  I've even seen y'all complain.  You guys forget but I sure dont.  I understand that you guys dont like me but you dont need to disagree with me just because. 

I don't remember ever complaining about remakes. And I don't dislike you at all. I reached out to you when you were struggling with alcohol because I'm an alcoholic and I know a lot about that shit. Your well-being actually means something to me, despite disagreeing with you about some things. Why are you trying to be confrontational and pick fights?

Can't say I've ever really had a complaint about any remake or remaster for the sake of it just being made.  Only thing I may have said something negative about that I can remember is just the rumor concerning TLoU  and the only reason I have for that is because its a series that has all of 2 games in the franchise so it feels weird that we'd need to do a remake unless it's to have the first game be more in line with the tv series that's coming out.  Which is still kind of a weird reason to do it.

4 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

The thing that is funny is that most everyone complains till its a game they liked. 

Damn. It’s almost like everyone has a different opinions when it comes to the games they like or something. How bizarre. 

There have genuinely been some head scratch reactions when it comes to certain remakes and remasters. Like the TLoU remake Sonic mentioned but I don’t think anyone here has outright said “this is a bad idea”.

It’s always been more “We know this publishers/developers track record and they’ve neglected x franchise that’s getting a remake/remaster for y years, so let’s hope they don’t fuck it up” 

Edited by iStu X

As industries grow, money pinching business minded folk take power and as the idea of 'profits' take control of decision making folk get less willing to make new things or put in the work/cost to grow something from the ground up.

Edit: I did forget that another factor is folk that grew up with a game and get the ability to bring it back also exist in every industry. I know one of the folk behind the recent Fire Emblem games was a big fan of the second game in the series and we recently had the remake of that.

Edited by Wellman
3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Can't say I've ever really had a complaint about any remake or remaster for the sake of it just being made.  Only thing I may have said something negative about that I can remember is just the rumor concerning TLoU  and the only reason I have for that is because its a series that has all of 2 games in the franchise so it feels weird that we'd need to do a remake unless it's to have the first game be more in line with the tv series that's coming out.  Which is still kind of a weird reason to do it.

Yeah the TLoU situation is the only universally panned remake that I can think of. I mean most remakes don't bother me if the game that is being remade isn't recent. Heck, I don't like FFVII but I like FFVII Remake.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I talk shit about remakes/remasters, but only when it's shit that is like previous gen.  Like having a TLOU remaster on PS4 when the OG was on PS3 is just whack to me. 

But shit like Link's Awakening, that is a 20 year or whatever old game on Gameboy, coming out on Switch, is okay to me.  

It's a pretty obvious difference IMO.   Like it has to be AT LEAST more than 1 gen old to warrant some sort of remaster/remake.

Like I had never played a souls game but I loved Demon's Souls on PS5 and it was the only game I got at launch.  But the OG was on PS3 so at least it's 2 gens old.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

More I'd like to see remastered....Actraiser---it's still in my list of "greatest of all time".  Then there's Altered Beast... that could be SO cool with a serious budget and today's graphics. (*it's too bad when you remember what company owns the IP though)

Going wayyy back for a minute...the ancient times of Atari 2600 ---it would be interesting to see what "Jungle Hunt" could be with today's tech and a decent budget.  I'm sure they'd change the "native tribal guy" boss into something else out of fear of offending someone though, of course.  

Also----"One" or even better---"Apocalypse"...even if you couldn't get the rights to use the likeness of Bruce Willis.  This could be amazing with today's visuals and a proper budget.

...and naturally---my beloved Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.  

12 hours ago, MillionX said:

More I'd like to see remastered....Actraiser---it's still in my list of "greatest of all time".  Then there's Altered Beast... that could be SO cool with a serious budget and today's graphics. (*it's too bad when you remember what company owns the IP though)

Going wayyy back for a minute...the ancient times of Atari 2600 ---it would be interesting to see what "Jungle Hunt" could be with today's tech and a decent budget.  I'm sure they'd change the "native tribal guy" boss into something else out of fear of offending someone though, of course.  

Also----"One" or even better---"Apocalypse"...even if you couldn't get the rights to use the likeness of Bruce Willis.  This could be amazing with today's visuals and a proper budget.

...and naturally---my beloved Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.  

Actraiser if given some decent graphics and more depth could be stellar AF.

I think they tried to do a Altered Beast in the last two decades but Sega botched it like they did Golden Axe. Internally there is only one team within Sega that could probably do it justice and adding karaoke to Altered Beast sounds rad.

4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm still sceptic but reading the article actually gives this a nice bit of hope on this. I don't know why they are trying to do RE 1 and 2 in one movie, I feel that is a mistake but I want to see trailers for it.  Let's of pluses in this in the fact that they're working directly with Capcom and even got the blueprints for the mansion and the police station.  Seems like they're actually putting some legit effort into the story even if the characters aren't near look a like 1 to 1. 

Like...I'm wondering how they're going to make RE1 and 2 work especially since 2 takes place at the same time as 3...I'm pretty sure the director has to know this cause he sounds like he's at least played the games.    Are they going to going to have this game kind of like going back and forth in time or are they just gonna try to have the events and 1 and 2 happen together and if it's successful just try to adapt 3 as well as they can?  I know that's getting a head of myself but IF this game is successful then they're could be potentially setting themselves up to write something that's going to be super rough and going to be a lil bit further of a departure from the games unless they're gonna have Nemesis coming for Jill within minutes of the end of this movie in the sequel.  I da know...really thing trying to cram both games together is going to make a mess in some way.  They could have tried doing that with Re2 and 3 and that would have made far more sense.

Edited by Sonichuman

I finished TLOU DLC this weekend. Glad I played it. It was fun playing as Ellie a little more, killing the shit out of all the fucks. And I liked getting the backstory with her and Riley. So, she's a lesbian, right? Or maybe bi?

Anyway, I got part 2 from my buddy today (yay physical copies of videogames!) And I have it loaded up and ready to play tonight after Rocket League. I'm pretty excited to start it. I'll probably get through it fairly quick- I beat the first one in less than a week. And then I'll pick up Dark Souls again.

Rumor: Chinese dev NetEase supposedly is in the final negotiations to pull Yakuza creator Tashiro Nagoshi from Sega

https://www.ign.com/articles/netease-reportedly-final-negotiations-poach-yakuza-creator-toshihiro-nagoshi

This is wild if it ends up being true not sure

Spoiler

Extra

One thing I noticed that I didn't know in this video...Did the japanese only versions of Alpha have blood in them?  Evil Ryu does a custom combo @  3:15  and there's what appears to be blood spray in the game.  Is this something else?

Edited by Sonichuman
20 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Glad I got the original model.

Same here.

But it appears the new model has the better Fan and Stand. The Stand as it is now is kinda crap, specially if you keep your console horizontal. 

I wonder in a few months time if I can nab the revision 2 fan and put it into my launch PS5.