Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Since I’m kind of in a bad mood today and because it’s been something I’ve been meaning to do for a while I’m playing through the first No More Heroes again on the Switch. 

I forgot how amazing and corny so much of this dialogue is. I just started this morning so I’m not very far. I’m only on Shinobu. 

I’m going to try and best 1, 2 and TSA over the upcoming week with finally starting NMH3 next week after. At least that’s the plan. I have a semi-busy week coming up so we’ll see what happens. 

16 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Curious.  Do you plan to buy a pre-built PC or do you plan to buy parts and put it together yourself?

I will be getting a pre-built PC, I have no experience building one and with the shortage of parts and weird pricing going on it feels risky trying to learn right now. In the past I have gotten Alienware and I trust the quality they provide.

26 minutes ago, Jurassic said:

I will be getting a pre-built PC, I have no experience building one and with the shortage of parts and weird pricing going on it feels risky trying to learn right now. In the past I have gotten Alienware and I trust the quality they provide.

Going pre-built is basically the way to go right now. I've people buy a pre-built PC just to get the graphics card they want. Why get gouged for just the GPU when you get a whole system and at least get some "back up" parts out of it.

4 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I guess I didnt realize how bad it was with gpu's.  I knew shit was fucked up but man.  I just looked to see how much the gpu I have goes for.  Fuckin' thing goes for 500-1000 dollars now.  I think I paid 250 for it.  Shit is fuckin' whack. 

AIBs aren't even trying to hide their gouging either. GPU has an MSRP of $380. AIBs sell it for double that, then the scalpers tag on their mark up. It's ludicrous. I shouldn't be able to sell my near two year old GPU for nearly 3 times what I paid for it new.

24 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I just have no want or need for a PS5 yet. There’s nothing on the machine that I want to play yet outside of Ratchet and Clank. Which IMO isn’t a system seller and/or must have. 

I’m not going to drop 500 on a new system to play old games. 

I will. The  decrease in load times for many of the games i play that have HUUUUGE load times would mean a lot more actual gaming being done and a lot less time wasted loading. More game time is worth the money imo.

I also know more will come down the pipeline that I will want.

Doesnt matter tho because you cant buy a PS5 even if you do want one so its pretty moot regardless of stance lol.

3 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

How long is a "typical" long load time for a PS4 game?

I dunno what a typical one is, but I play a lot of Souls, Sekiro, been playing Cyberpunk, and some others and their load times can be 30 to 45 seconds long, sometimes a minute. When your trying to grind out a boss fight, or grind out a loot drop or something those load times add up to a lot of lost game time.

2 hours ago, globe said:

Apparently some of the clips from the Sonic Colors Port came from an emulator

Game still has some issues, but I don't think it's as bad as some of the videos have shown.

The clips with a T-posing Sonic was from the guy playing the emulator. However and unfortunately, the clips where the game turns into a seizure inducing mess is real. People were able to replicate them on the actual system.

Edited by BornWinner
2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I will. The  decrease in load times for many of the games i play that have HUUUUGE load times would mean a lot more actual gaming being done and a lot less time wasted loading. More game time is worth the money imo.

I also know more will come down the pipeline that I will want.

Doesnt matter tho because you cant buy a PS5 even if you do want one so its pretty moot regardless of stance lol.

I am of the same mind. I haven't played Ghost of Tsushima yet, but knowing there's a PS5 version makes my choice for purchase for all the technical improvements.

XB1 is likely worse... I know Borderlands 3's load times are just sad.  That initial one when you start the game... it's probably a few minutes at least.  Someone did a side-by-side comparison of B3 on the Series X vs. regular XB1, and it was funny... the Series X player was already in the game, running around and killing stuff, he found a vehicle and went to another part of the map, killed some more bad guys, picked up the loot, etc. etc.... all while the XB1 side of the screen was STILL loading up the game.  Basically, this is the main reason I don't even play it anymore.  Each time I get into a mood for B3, I remember "oh....those load times though..... 😞 "  heh, you can probably prepare a meal for yourself and almost finish eating by the time the game has done the initial loading.

The Ascent - so I got back to this for a minute...mainly to get at least 1 achievement since there was a 500-point MS Reward for that....it also helped finish off the challenge to get 2000 ms points.  Anyway, I made it to a new area, got a new cyberdeck and sold some junk in the next city area.... fought quite a few dudes to get to this area too; picked up at least 4 or 5 bounties in the process = MO' MONEY 💰  I'm still rockin this shotgun weapon at the moment... it's satisfying each time I blast the shit out of enemies close range with that boomstick.  Oh yeah... this has become my "Cyberpunk" game of choice at the moment.  I wish it was just as smooth in co-op as it is in solo though.  It would be nice if this could hit Switch as well, but I'm doubting that system can properly handle it, unfortunately.... at least there's SteamDeck coming up as an option to fill that need though.

D3 - my necro went up from 1.1 mil sheet dps to 1.5m at this point....still only paragon level 198 at the moment.  The power is so much at this point I went up to T13...I still just have the relatively weak Trag Oul set though (this season's necro reward set for completing the main seasonal challenges.)

Edited by MillionX

Ive still been playing The Ascent.  Really fun game.  I really like shooters like that.  I just got some new fuckin' blaster ray item thingy cant remember what the equipment is called.  But that shit devastates the bad guys.  Love it.  The little grenade the locks the bad guys in stasis then they blow up when I hit them a couple times is cool too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I just watched a trailer for the next Metroid game.  Shit looks pretty damn fun. 

1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Does the PS4 use an SSD or HDD?  Sorry, I never owned one.

I haven't really had issue with load times in...really long.  But not long ago I did get a bit impatient with the load times in that Star Wars games while it was on my HDD so I switched it to the SSD and it was much better.

An SSD is an HDD.

But whatI think you are referring to is a mechanical HDD.

And yes, the PS4 uses a mechanical HDD.

Does the PS4 use an SSD or HDD?  Sorry, I never owned one.

I haven't really had issue with load times in...really long.  But not long ago I did get a bit impatient with the load times in that Star Wars games while it was on my HDD so I switched it to the SSD and it was much better.

By default it comes with an hdd, but you can upgrade it with an sdd if you wanted

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

An SSD is an HDD.

I'm pretty sure they're two different things.

I thought you might be able to put an SSD (not nvme) into a ps4.  Does the ps4 take advantage of the read/write speeds and load shit much faster?

Watched that video up there.  Doesnt seem like much of a difference.  That kinda sucks.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
7 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I'm pretty sure they're two different things.

I thought you might be able to put an SSD (not nvme) into a ps4.  Does the ps4 take advantage of the read/write speeds and load shit much faster?

Watched that video up there.  Doesnt seem like much of a difference.  That kinda sucks.

That video is kind of old, perhaps some stuff has improved, but who knows.

I remember the differences varied from game to game.

2 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

As bad as it was for the game to be released like that, it makes me super happy to see the people behind Sonic Colors Ultimate take it in stride and post this.

Hopefully they can patch it in time for the physical release.

I doubt it.  I'm not gonna buy it until they do and they also need to put out a warning for people who have epilepsy cause this game is a ticking time bomb for seizure prone people  Some of the shit I'm looking as making MY eyes hurt.

46 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I really can't tell what you know about these games and what you're trolling about lol.

I'll put this in spoiler tags so I don't spoil it for others.

Spoiler

I knew Joel died before I started playing, and that at some point you played as the bitch who killed him. And that she was the daughter of the doctor.  It was hard to avoid all that on the internet, lol. 

What I didn't know were all the details, like Ellie killing Owen and Mel, who was pregnant. Or Abby killing Jesse.

Right now I'm still on team Ellie and Joel. Mainly for the fact that the Fireflies just captured them in the first game, then were complete dicks to Joel about how developing a vaccine would kill Ellie. They never brought Ellie back to consciousness, so she didn't have a choice in it. And they didn't allow Joel to even see her or say goodbye. They just treated Ellie like a specimen, even the fuckhead doctor, Abby's dad. So fuck those people. 

I just started playing as Abby tonight. First thing I did was let the zombies eat the fuck out of her.

Edited by Chadouken

Dont them dudes in the games basically got super powers and shit doe?  Like ultra hyper punches and shit like that?  Like, they can just punch john wicks bullets.  Its kinda not fair.  I dunno though I only played a touch of one of those Yakuza games.

Best John Wick game is that Suit for Hire game.  Shit is fun.  I tried some other John Wick game...John Wick Hex I think it was called.  It was kinda cool but also pretty lame.  Think just being able to watch the replay of the run without all the stops was kinda neat.  Even that looked bad doe.  hmhmhm

3 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

They're two different things.  One has moving parts and the other doesnt.  The one without moving parts is also much much faster.  If they werent different the fuckin' SSD would just be called HDD2.0 or some shit.  Now this is all im gonna say on that matter.

I legit had no clue they were considered different things so my bad.  I learned something new today.

I'm pretty sure that this isn't how it used to be.  Like when they were new, they were considered a "new type of hard drive".  I'm talking like when I bought my 128gb one for like $200.

But thanks for the education lesson.

I can now see why TLOU 2 is so divisive.

Spoiler

I played for a bit as Abby and I fucking hate it. After gaining so much momentum with Ellie- upgrading her skills and weapons, and becoming so invested in her story emotionally, it feels like a slap in the face to now control the fucking roided-out bitch who killed Joel. I'm not digging it. Especially now that I have to essentially start over with skill trees and weapon customization. 

It doesn't help that Abby is such an unlikable character. I'm seriously considering just playing the rest of the game trying to see how many ways I can make her die. 

These are just early impressions with controlling Abby. If the game is intentionally making the player feel this way by design, there better be a big payoff. Otherwise, I can see why people dislike this game. Which is a shame. The first half was a masterpiece.

Dont them dudes in the games basically got super powers and shit doe?  Like ultra hyper punches and shit like that?  Like, they can just punch john wicks bullets.  Its kinda not fair.  I dunno though I only played a touch of one of those Yakuza games.

Best John Wick game is that Suit for Hire game.  Shit is fun.  I tried some other John Wick game...John Wick Hex I think it was called.  It was kinda cool but also pretty lame.  Think just being able to watch the replay of the run without all the stops was kinda neat.  Even that looked bad doe.  hmhmhm

They are both pretty unkillable fictional characters, and I haven't played a bunch of Yakuza but I think guns are still effective in that series...i could be wrong tho. 

Definitely an aspect of Sleeping Dogs I really liked, when you got a gun in that game it was pretty appropriately powerful compared to hand to hand shenanigans. 

Random digression lol.