Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

3 hours ago, iStu X said:

God yes. I’m so tired of XYZ Genre ROGUE-LIKE.

I've seen the term Rogue-Lite also being used to describe games that have procedurally generated levels and reset you on death. The latest being Returnal, but also games like Hades and Dead Cells.

I've seen it discussed that RogueLike is reserved for games that fit more of the criteria that Rogue itself introduced, including grid movement and turn based gameplay in addition to the random levels and permanent death.

Returnal is the first game I've ever played that has procedurally generated levels and permi-death, so I'm pretty new to the whole game design concept. But I've also seen the two labels used interchangeably.

What if...someone made a ROGUE LIKE METROIDVANIA!? 👀 

Edited by Chadouken

Rogue like metroidvania you say?  Try Dead Cells.

Yl0AZtg.png

I just call them rogue style games.  I just aint care enough to do all this genre naming for small differences.   These names give me a general idea of what a game will be like.  I generally check out a trailer/video of most games before I download them so I found out what they're really all about.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
10 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Rogue like metroidvania you say?  Try Dead Cells.

Returnal kinda fits that description, too. There are gated areas even in the first map that you can't access until you get far enough to obtain certain items (for example, the grappling hook), that are permanent upgrades and open up the levels on subsequent runs.

Speaking of mis-labeling game genres, it's annoying seeing an action/adventure or hack-n-slash game and there's a bunch of kids calling it a "souls" game 😒

4 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Since we're talking about it, Metroidvania VGM friday selection:

1 hour ago, nickmanx5 said:

vgm friday

i believe this battle theme was the first one to make me go wtf when i rented it from video warehouse 

Good choices!!

10 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

No sir it is not 

Not until Symphony of the Night, right? That's still one of my bucket list games I have yet to play.

52 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Or people calling Smash a fighting game :coffee:

It has Ryu in it and you can hadouken. It's a fighting game 😤

Just like Mario Kart is a racing game.

Edited by Chadouken

I'm not sure I understand why you guys let stuff like that upset/annoy/bother you in some way.  Its a tag basically.  Do y'all see still images of a game, see what genre it is then go buy it?  Kinda blind style?

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

Returnal kinda fits that description, too. There are gated areas even in the first map that you can't access until you get far enough to obtain certain items (for example, the grappling hook), that are permanent upgrades and open up the levels on subsequent runs.

I'm not sure I know what game that is.  I'll have to check it out.

9 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I'm not sure I know what game that is.  I'll have to check it out.

It's dope, man. Third person shooter with fast moving mechanics and a dash with i frames. Has some bullet hell mechanics but in 3D instead of 2D. Creepy, tense, atmosphere. It's fun as hell.

It's a PS5 exclusive though. Here's the trailer:

Edited by Chadouken

I checked it out, watched a video of the first 17 minutes of gameplay.  Course I skipped the first 5 or 10 minutes so I could just see core gameplay.  It looks pretty fun.  I'll probably never get to play it though.😢

I dunno, for me lately I just dont really care about story in games.  I little bit of story is ok but I just want solid gameplay and shit that I can play anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour.  I like rogue style games cause they generally offer that.

I separate my games...so I finish the ones that have story.  These are my fast play games here.  There are a few rogue style games there and the others I can play in short spurts. 

KJ9ivOp.png

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

Hacking the Wii Mini was really easy.

The only "complicated" thing for anyone that is not tech savy is using a linux os to do the hack.

The great thing is that there are manuals for those people on how to create a usb boot with ubuntu, so they don't need to install linux on their pcs/laptops, and ModernVintageGamer uploaded some days ago a small video of him doing the hack on one from the ground, which shows how easy it was.

10 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

and we also know it’s going to involve the Court of Owls. Which is a secret group that has secretly ran Gotham for generations.

(And IMO despite the story they debuted in being well written I don’t find the group that interesting) 

Edited by iStu X
12 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Hacking the Wii Mini was really easy.

The only "complicated" thing for anyone that is not tech savy is using a linux os to do the hack.

The great thing is that there are manuals for those people on how to create a usb boot with ubuntu, so they don't need to install linux on their pcs/laptops, and ModernVintageGamer uploaded some days ago a small video of him doing the hack on one from the ground, which shows how easy it was.

Anyone remember how the Wii Mini broke Nintendo's old reward program? Basically someone figured out that the codes were all pretty similar so basically you could redeem like 8 Wii mini codes and get some free merchandise. I got a bunch of posters and other small things, but then Nintendo found out what people were doing and banned all the accounts that did it. Including mine, I missed out on that free Smash 4 Mewtwo DLC.

15 hours ago, Chadouken said:

Not until Symphony of the Night, right?

I’m playing through that game right now. 

a little tip: save your money and don’t buy any spells. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but they’re all unlocked from the beginning and you can use them if you have enough MP. Just look up the motions. 

also, what the hell does a library card do?

2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

I’m playing through that game right now. 

a little tip: save your money and don’t buy any spells. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but they’re all unlocked from the beginning and you can use them if you have enough MP. Just look up the motions. 

also, what the hell does a library card do?

Yep spells are all unlocked from the get go, and they are busted. The Library Card will warp you back to the librarian. 

It would be great if Diablo, or another ARPG like it had this crazy # of classes I'm seeing in the Pathfinder game...look at this shit man

https://pathfinderwrathoftherighteous.wiki.fextralife.com/Classes#:~:text=Basic Class in Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous,Fighter. ... 10 Hunter. ... More items...

It disappoints me that the average ARPG that's heavy on the *action* side tends to focus on just basic archetypes we all expect at this point-- a summoner person (sometimes), a magic one, 1 or 2 melee types, and a non-magical ranged person.  I think some companies avoid having too many variations just because they might be lazy about trying to balance all that so there's not 1 thing that's completely godlike unstoppable compared to everything else.  Sheeeittt, the more the merrier, imo... if you can come up with 100 playable class types, throw 'em ALL in there, man....and make skill-trees as ridiculously large as possible, balance be damned.

Edited by MillionX
33 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

so what everyone is saying is i should just play the wii version in dolphin and remaster that shit myself.

Yes.

Edit: Watching a stream right now and the guys Stick Case is a Milk Crate...Ive never seen that before. I'm kinda mind fucked at how simply brilliant this is...He has so many mounting spots holy shit....And so easy to work on....

Edited by RSG3

I tried out a couple different games the last couple days.  The first one was Song of Iron.  Its a side scrolling beat'em up type game.  You're some kinda viking and your village got jacked.  Its pretty fun.  Controls are confusing.  Its kinda ugly and kinda pretty. 
rkCBKa3.png

The second game I tried was GRIME.  Its a...wait for it...metroidvania type game.  Seems like standard fare and its kinda fun and pretty.  You're some Rock Elemental type being who got separated from your lover (maybe?) or something.  You fight other sentient rock beings and stuff. 

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

The second game I tried was GRIME.  Its a...wait for it...metroidvania type game.  Seems like standard fare and its kinda fun and pretty.  You're some Rock Elemental type being who got separated from your lover (maybe?) or something.  You fight other sentient rock beings and stuff. 

That game looks badass. Hope it comes to console.

hell yeah... I finally got a level 70 Ethereal weapon in Diablo 3 earlier today.  The boost I'm getting with this 1 weapon is insane....my "rookie lv. 70" chump went from a pitiful 600something sheet dps to 1.1 million just like that + defense bonuses, and a LOT of other shit... most importantly---> "+100% damage to all Necromancer skills"....AND I get an extra passive from it, a boost to Bone Spear, reduced cooldown, +14% Attack Speed +35% damage to Undead, the list goes on.  Soooo ridiculous.  It will be a shame to let this weapon go when the season ends.  

I'll never like that concept, btw--- and it's in a lot of games these days---when they add something great, but only temporarily.  Why add cool shit just to take it out of the game later?

Alien Fireteam Elite -> I moved on to the 2nd set of missions today and finished one with a challenge card.  I'm probably spoiled with the Demolisher class at this point... I'm not sure how the other character classes can stack up to this....I also got a perk that cuts some cooldown on those abilities, so I can shoot the shoulder-mounted "Predator laser" thing more often, and that move is too damn good.  When enemies get hit they are also dazed for a bit, naturally wide open for more damage...I have another perk now that gives me bonus damage against dazed enemies.  Oh yeah, I see this particular class shaping up to be godlike FAST.

EDIT---forgot to mention, that first challenge card was pretty easy, actually---it just removed the HUD.  So..the only thing on screen besides the characters and world was the next waypoint on the mission....the interesting thing is that this means you cannot see how low on health you are at the moment, or what your ammo is...if your special abilities are off cooldown or not....fortunately there's an audio cue once your ability cooldown resets though.  

Edited by MillionX
9 hours ago, Chadouken said:

That's awesome news! Especially considering Sony still hasn't made enough PS5s to meet demand almost a year after launch.

Yeah, I primarily blame the scalpers and legit short supply of parts, but they should really manage things better. I completely gave up on getting a PS5 this year after trying to follow drops for 2 weeks.

I gave up on getting a PS5, mainly because I believe whatever exclusives that will be on it will not be worth having. I am getting a new gaming PC instead. Eventually I plan to sell off my PS4 for a Nintendo Switch.

7 hours ago, MillionX said:

hell yeah... I finally got a level 70 Ethereal weapon in Diablo 3 earlier today.  The boost I'm getting with this 1 weapon is insane....my "rookie lv. 70" chump went from a pitiful 600something sheet dps to 1.1 million just like that + defense bonuses, and a LOT of other shit... most importantly---> "+100% damage to all Necromancer skills"....AND I get an extra passive from it, a boost to Bone Spear, reduced cooldown, +14% Attack Speed +35% damage to Undead, the list goes on.  Soooo ridiculous.  It will be a shame to let this weapon go when the season ends.  

I'll never like that concept, btw--- and it's in a lot of games these days---when they add something great, but only temporarily.  Why add cool shit just to take it out of the game later?

I thought you keep the items you collect after a season ends, or do you only focus on playing during a season?

Edited by Jurassic
44 minutes ago, Jurassic said:

I gave up on getting a PS5, mainly because I believe whatever exclusives that will be on it will not be worth having. I am getting a new gaming PC instead. Eventually I plan to sell off my PS4 for a Nintendo Switch.

I thought you keep the items you collect after a season ends, or do you only focus on playing during a season?

Nah, since this is a special "seasonal bonus" kind of thing, as opposed to regular items, the Ethereal items will go away once this season is over.  If you get all 21 ethereals, it at least unlocks the "transmog"/appearance though.... I may research the quick way to do that before it ends....finding all 21 the normal way with lucky drops from monsters or treasure chests would take quite a bit of time.

...this reminds me---that 4th Kannai Cube slot was another cool seasonal bonus that should've been a permanent thing; that was about 2 seasons ago, if I recall.  

Edited by MillionX