Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Well based on reviews and the DF Performance review, I'll be passing on ActRaiser Renaissance, at least until the developers fix the performance issue. I have neither a PS4 Pro or a PS5 and those sound like the best way to play soooooo. It doesnt help the announcment trailer creamed Mobile Port and then the game actually has that ugly pre-rendered graphics look. The Paralx Scrolling in this game looks awful...And they added Tower Defense which has me uneasy.

Pass...At least until the performance gets a fix and perhaps a price reduction. I love ActRaiser and I want to support it, have them make more. Maybe a remake of 2, add back in the City Building mechanics and fix up the combat so it isnt so fucking punishing and difficult, I like hard but that games just fucking mean lol, but I dont want to support it if it means phoned in games with uggo pre-rendered 2D graphics (what is this Donkey Kong Country?) juttery scrolling (they have to fix this) and such questionable changes like Tower Defense. Those City Build sections should not take 2 hours to complete...

Edited by RSG3
4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Well based on reviews and the DF Performance review, I'll be passing on ActRaiser Renaissance, at least until the developers fix the performance issue. I have neither a PS4 Pro or a PS5 and those sound like the best way to play soooooo.

Apparently the issues exist in the PS4 Pro/PS5 as well. Its a well known issue with Unity,  and its a problem with the game engine and not the hardware.

Also all the issues exist as it was originally intended for mobile 

Edited by DarkSakul
How do you mess up running a game on the PS5 that is a remake of a Launch Snes game?
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Yea but it runs rock solid 60 on pro/5 and 50 everywhere else so still better there. 

I am watching a lets play stream right now, the MLiG stream. It's still choppy as shit on the PS5. 
How a SNES Launch title struggles on the PS5 I don't know other than it's just plan old ineptitude on the part of the Devs.

PS4, PS4-Pro, PS5 all runs at 50hz, Switch Runs at 45hz unless you turn effects off, then it runs at 50.
Sim/Tower Def Mode is fine, but Scrolling platformer mode is garbage

Edited by DarkSakul
48 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

I am watching a lets play stream right now, the MLiG stream. It's still choppy as shit on the PS5. 
How a SNES Launch title struggles on the PS5 I don't know other than it's just plan old ineptitude on the part of the Devs.

PS4, PS4-Pro, PS5 all runs at 50hz, Switch Runs at 45hz unless you turn effects off, then it runs at 50.
Sim/Tower Def Mode is fine, but Scrolling platformer mode is garbage

Did you watch the Digital Foundry Video? PS5 runs at 60 FPS, it just doubles a frame every time and thats why it looks choppy., Its an issue with how they programmed their camera in Unity. DF has the chart there and everything its unwavering 60fps.

Edited by RSG3
24 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Did you watch the Digital Foundry Video? PS5 runs at 60 FPS,

I saw that vid, it ran like shit as it was 50hz, they even said so in the DF vid.
its like you didnt pay attention to a single thing in that video. Like usually you just want to disagree with no proof 

Plus I am currently watching a Live Stream of the game on the PS5, it runs 50hz on the platform segments. 
The Sim mode is some how fine, except they added Tower Defense 

Edited by DarkSakul
3 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

I saw that vid, it ran like shit as it was 50hz, they even said so in the DF vid.
its like you didnt pay attention to a single thing in that video

I had to rewatch the section to make sure I wasn't crazy...the game on PS5 runs at 60fps period.  It's the scrolling background that runs at 50hz.  16:27 is the section in question.

1 minute ago, Sonichuman said:

I had to rewatch the section to make sure I wasn't crazy...the game on PS5 runs at 60fps period.  It's the scrolling background that runs at 50hz.  16:27 is the section in question.

It's the side scrolling levels, not just the background 
Only thing that runs at 60hz is the Butchered Sims mode that they add a bunch of mobile game BS into it 

Just now, DarkSakul said:

It's the side scrolling levels, not just the background 
Only thing that runs at 60hz is the Butchered Sims mode that they add a bunch of mobile game BS into it 

DF says and shows in the video that the game runs 60fps PERIOD.  In terms of putting out the frames it's putting them out at 60fps with no hitches it's just doesn't look smooth because of something having to do with Unity rendering it at 50hz but the game is outputting 60fps with no hitches.

10 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

DF says and shows in the video that the game runs 60fps PERIOD.  In terms of putting out the frames it's putting them out at 60fps with no hitches it's just doesn't look smooth because of something having to do with Unity rendering it at 50hz but the game is outputting 60fps with no hitches.

I am watching a Lets Play right now, its a mess. 

https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/celebrating_the_last_of_us_day_2021

Last of Us 2 multiplayer still being worked on.  Excerpt from the Naughty Dog:

“Yeah, that’s lovely and great Naughty Dog, but what are you doing with The Last of Us right now?”

In short, we’re working on it - we see the community comments as many of you clamor for multiplayer and want updates. For now, we’ll say that we love what the team is developing and want to give them time to build out their ambitious project, we’ll reveal more when it’s ready! To that end, we’ve been busy growing our team inside the kennel since The Last of Us Part II launched and are currently in full swing of hiring for MP-related positions (hint hint), so if you or somebody you know qualifies for anything you see on our jobs page, apply!

I'm getting a feeling that Last of Us 2 is going to get ported/remastered for PS5 and it's going to come with the multiplayer and whatever other DLC that they're working on.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:
snip

Naughty Dog has become a joke under Drunkman, besides shooing the old guard away from the company, they barely managed to release a game in an incomplete state, divisiveness aside, the people who bought it are still waiting for the mp component, yet they have failed to release it, and yeah, there is the pandemic excuse, but that has not stopped other sony studios like sucker punch to release extra stuff for GoT for example.

It seems that ND is not able to retain talent nowdays and newcomers are hesitant to work there due the working conditions under his leadership.

And despite all of that, he failed upward, lmao.

I knew it's probably a lost cause and cloud-gaming *is* indeed the unfortunate future (*because the unbelievably greedy companies of this industry will keep trying, and most of the gaming audience is just dumb enough to accept and even rationalize/defend it), but it will continue to bring a smile to my face anytime something like stadia gets laughed at and fails as hard as possible.  That's exactly what that idiotic concept deserves.  Sadly, the depressing state of the future will prove me right... that these are likely the final days of the real "golden era" in gaming, where there was still at least *some* small bit of permanent ownership and offline capabilities left.  

Simple little thought experiment---place yourself in the shoes of anyone running a game company these days... which is the more attractive option, financially speaking?

1. The game is a product - the gamer buys this one time, and can play it theoretically for the next several decades if he/she wants, as long as there is hardware that functions that runs it.  They paid you 59.99 perhaps... or 79.99+ whatever for the "Ultimate Edition".....but just that one time.  They can let a friend or family member play this as well, and you don't get a cut of that action.
  2. The game is an online service - The consumer pays...let's say 5 bucks a month to have "access" to this game.  Now, you don't have the costs of packaging or printing a disc or cart... the consumer has to keep paying that 5 bucks....indefinitely.  After the 2nd year they have now paid you $120 for this "access" that you can revoke at any time for any reason. (if you're on a crazy control-freak power-trip because you're naturally a huge douchebag, this is quite appealing)  The amount they pay has no upper limit, as opposed to #1 where they just paid once.  So---you have lowered the cost of production, they pay MORE (for less) in the long haul, and you have direct control on whether or not they even get to play.  This also means no re-sale where you are cut out of the action.  This also makes it easier to push microtransactions since a forced online-controlled environment allows for a more easy method of selling extra shit. (like imagine a Best Buy that didn't allow you to leave with the items you bought.  You only have those items as long as you stay inside the store...which makes it easy for them to push ads in your face 24/7, hoping to get more impulse-buys.)

So---"we can get 60 bucks out of them..."  Vs. "we can get continued payments forever from them..."  Oh gee, I wonder why 99% of the industry suits want option #2 so much.  

9 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

So yoy didn't watch it because no it doesn't. John very specifically says PS5 runs at 60 fps and doubles a frame due to unity that's why it looks like 50hz even tho it actually isn't. He says this while the FPS graph is up and isn't wavering even a little bit. 

You are either lying and didn't watch the video or toy didn't pay attention to it. Either way you are wrong. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

So yoy didn't watch it because no it doesn't. John very specifically says PS5 runs at 60 fps and doubles a frame due to unity that's why it looks like 50hz even tho it actually isn't. He says this while the FPS graph is up and isn't wavering even a little bit. 

You are either lying and didn't watch the video or toy didn't pay attention to it. Either way you are wrong. 

Yeah I can't anymore.  The moment I told him a MACHINE counting the frames is saying its 60fps and he went NUH UH I knew there was no point in continuing.

5 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Yeah I can't anymore.  The moment I told him a MACHINE counting the frames is saying its 60fps and he went NUH UH I knew there was no point in continuing.

Yea that was my last word on it as well. I hadnt read his response to you yet when i made my post. Seeing what he said to you I was like "Oh...oh well then."

spacer.png

For all i heard, the game seems to be really great, but some reviewers/sites, you know the ones, like polygon, seem to be releasing negative reviews to be contrarians, lmao.

Where they do bizarre shit like comparing Kena to God of War of all things, showing once again why they are trash and deserve to go under.

Then they wonder why they keep losing to youtubers

And lets not forget that those turds gave Deathloop a 10 out of 10, despite the many issues the game has, not saying is bad, btw, just that is not a 10/10 game.

Edited by Hecatom