Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

4 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

When Polygon dropped Bayonetta 2's score from 9 to 7.5

I gave up on video game reviews about a decade ago when IGN gave skyward sword a 10/10. 

Subjective media reviews are a big ol waste of time across the board. At least with videogames there are reviews about the functionality of a game (thanks DF) but otherwise, I don't care what some freelancer typed up in their 300 square foot Brooklyn apartment so they could afford the $2400 a month it cost in rent to live there. 

I just know what I like and trust my gut. Like death loop, I'm never going to play that game cause I don't like immersive sims. I've tried, they aren't my thing. 

Now that Riders Republic? I'm getting it no matter what any critic says, that game looks too damn good 

11 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

A friend in my chat group in playing Actraiser Renaissance on the Switch and she really hasn't noticed any major issues. 

When I was watching the DF review of it I couldn’t see/notice any of the issues they were complaining about outside of the odd screen scrolling despite them  tangibly showing it. Even then, it didn’t even bother me. 

as long as a frame rate doesn’t make a game overall unplayable I generally don’t care what the frame rate is.

Edited by iStu X
2 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I gave up on video game reviews about a decade ago when IGN gave skyward sword a 10/10. 

Subjective media reviews are a big ol waste of time across the board. At least with videogames there are reviews about the functionality of a game (thanks DF) but otherwise, I don't care what some freelancer typed up in their 300 square foot Brooklyn apartment so they could afford the $2400 a month it cost in rent to live there. 

I just know what I like and trust my gut. Like death loop, I'm never going to play that game cause I don't like immersive sims. I've tried, they aren't my thing. 

Now that Riders Republic? I'm getting it no matter what any critic says, that game looks too damn good 

Eh...reviews are good to get an idea of what to expect from a game and if something comes up as an issue across multiple reviews then there's a high chance it may actually be an issue.   Reviews are just opinions so it best to treat them as such.

1 minute ago, PVL_93_RU said:

yo so... Kirby is actually going 3D for the first time in franchise's history? that's pretty damn cool. At the very least I have higher hopes of Nintendo pulling off the transition better than Sega ever did with Sonic

yes I think 3D sonic games are kinda wack and don't "get it" in regards to the series

Kirby 64 was 3D

15 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I haven't cared about reviews in sometime. It wasn't about the review. It was about why they changed the score. Any publication with that type of philosophy shouldn't be reviewing games. Check that, shouldn't be reviewing anything. The act was indicative of their company philosophy which I refuse to support.

2 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

This showed up in my feed today and the only thing I could think of is "Oh how nice!  You guys made it much easier for the ninjas to find you guys!"

Do these guys have an original bone in their body? Steal Nintnendos games to "Make your own" and try to have tournmanets with this stolen game, now they are ripping off the direct format wholesale lmao.

This is getting sad.

1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

Do these guys have an original bone in their body? Steal Nintnendos games to "Make your own" and try to have tournmanets with this stolen game, now they are ripping off the direct format wholesale lmao.

This is getting sad.

When Nintendo inevitably shuts them down. They'll cry and play victim. Then Twitter will pretend that they actually are victims.

3 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

It was about why they changed the score

Oh damn, they full on where like "this seems icky, we're retconning our score"

I thought it was them saying this game is 9 in all categories across the board, but the optics are unforgivable, not that they actually went back and changed stuff.

That's fucking dumb, and honestly, dangerous and unethical. 

8 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Kirby 64 has 3D graphics but it still plays 2D.

7 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Pretty sure he mean fully and not just on a set plane in a 3D space a la 2.5d.

You right, you right. I never played Crystal Shards. I just remember it being 3D. Didn’t know it was one of those 2D on a 3D plane thing 

20 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Never really understand this when the point of Sonic is pretty simple and clear, even in the 3D ones where they mix it up.

I think the 3D titles have too many sequences where they take the control away from the player to show some sick camera angle. And they still do that auto-lock-on to strike enemies and to platform around while you're not running at full speed. When those games just say "go" and let you control and see Sonic be fast as af

4 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

I think the 3D titles have too many sequences where they take the control away from the player to show some sick camera angle. And they still do that auto-lock-on to strike enemies and to platform around while you're not running at full speed. When those games just say "go" and let you control and see Sonic be fast as af

Have you ever played Sonic 3D Blast?    Cause if you have you'd understand fully why there's a lock on attack for the 3D games.  It's a necessity from a gameplay design perspective because of the nature of the character in a 3D space.  You're not playing a slower character moving around an environment where you can be more precise.   This allows you to attack enemies quickly and keep it moving which is on brand for the character.

34 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

yes I think 3D sonic games are kinda wack and don't "get it" in regards to the series

3D Sonic ether focuses too much on a Game specific Gimmick, or the Spectacle of it and not Let Sonic be Sonic.
They also never got that feeling of Speed down tight the way the 2D entries did. 

The 2D games lets Sonic be him self and let the game play and Game's personality carry the game and not some gimmick. 

3 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

I think the 3D titles have too many sequences where they take the control away from the player to show some sick camera angle.

This is a pretty legit complaint, people have had issues with this for some years now, like even hardcore Sonic fans. I think they have been better about it in recent years with games like Colors and Generations and even Lost World.

6 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

And they still do that auto-lock-on to strike enemies and to platform around while you're not running at full speed.

Not exactly sure what you mean here. Are you talking about the Homing Attack? If so its a mechanic I've never had much of an issue with in the 3D games (bringing it to the 2D games is a different conversation) as it keeps combat quick and efficient which is what it should be in a Sonic game. Its also been used for some really creative platforming challanges and i think both those points justify its inclusion. Without it combat would be dreadfully painfully slow and unfun, I see Sonic mentioned Sonic 3D Blast and thats a great example of why it would suuuuuck. Not saying the homing attack hasnt been used in lazy ways in the past but thats a implimentation problem really, would you agree?

Anyway cool bro. I can agree with you on the set peices they can be pretty intrusive sometimes. I have plenty of issues with 3D Sonic myself.

Fun fact for those have never played the game:  Sonic 3D Blast is funny since that was the first time they were trying to figure out 3D and they found out the solution to attacking in 3d space in the game...but they locked the homing attack behind a shield power up.  Game would have been roughly .5 -1 higher in fun factor across the board.

2 hours ago, RegH81 said:

A friend in my chat group in playing Actraiser Renaissance on the Switch and she really hasn't noticed any major issues. 

At the end of the day, it will be a matter of how much tolerance you have for the current issues the game has.

Some people don't notice or care about those stuff, or find the enjoyment from the game to out weight the issues.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Eh...reviews are good to get an idea of what to expect from a game and if something comes up as an issue across multiple reviews then there's a high chance it may actually be an issue.   Reviews are just opinions so it best to treat them as such.

Agree, at the end of the day, is a matter of finding opinions that you can trust, not necessarily because they agree with you, but because they are consistent and laid their train of thought in a manner that lets you know about what the game is about.

The problem is that sites like Kotaku and Polygon, they are plagued of many people that are more interested on throwing dumb hot takes, inject politics or povs that no one cares about into their reviews.

For example, the Kena "review" spends more time going on tangents and doing comparisons that don't offer anything than talking about the game and what does good and what does bad.

They are more interested on trying to be taste makers than inform the readers.

I stopped lookin' or caring about reviews like...15 years or so ago.  All I need to see is a bit of core gameplay and I know if I want to play a game or not.  Also, I'm filthy pirate so I always try games before I consider spending money on them.

LRmo4EP.png

Also, Tails of Iron.  Really fun game and just really cool story and shit.  Give it a try if you can.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
6 hours ago, Hecatom said:

At the end of the day, it will be a matter of how much tolerance you have for the current issues the game has.

Some people don't notice or care about those stuff, or find the enjoyment from the game to out weight the issues.

I just started it today, and while I totally get the complaints about all the things they added to the Sim mode, I like RTS games though, so I don't really mind them fleshing that area of the game out a bit. But I think the game's fantastic so far and I think people counting frames on the action parts are nerds lol

Edited by DoctaMario

nobody asked but time for a shit take - Bayo 3 design could use some improvements. She has way too much makeup going on and the long tail is a bit too much on top of the braided twin tails

The skirt also doesn't serve any functionality since Bayo is wearing a bodysuit - it's not like there will be pantsushots even when she uses her powers

Other than that she looks alright, the leg windows are greatly appreciated