Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

3 hours ago, nickmanx5 said:

sometimes i wonder if developers come up with crazy story ideas their not quite sure about and then go lets get team ninja to make this shit.

that way they  never have to take the heat for the story meanwhile team ninja's prob like guy we get to make a metroid/final fantasy! but there's a catch....

Well, Team Ninja's own stories are all like something an 8 year old with a crayon would write, so I doubt they're bothered by scripts they're handed.

6 hours ago, nickmanx5 said:

sometimes i wonder if developers come up with crazy story ideas their not quite sure about and then go lets get team ninja to make this shit.

that way they  never have to take the heat for the story meanwhile team ninja's prob like guy we get to make a metroid/final fantasy! but there's a catch....

I just want to add that most of the time, studios that are brought to work on games by other companies, like Team Ninja with Metroid Other M or this FF1 spinoff, they usually don't have a say outside the gameplay and other technical stuff, and even then, the gameplay is something they do within the stipulations by the company who hired them.

They are usually hired since they have the know how to do those kind of games, but everything about the game is decided on pre production by the company, or at times both companies if they are allowed to give feedback.

Of course, is different when is the studio who approached first,but i think in this case is not like that, and is not like the studio still has free rein on what to do on those cases.

Not even when the publisher is only doing that, publishing the game, they always have some input to give as part of the deal.

Edited by Hecatom

I'm streaming a bit tonight.  So there is a game going and a movie but uh...yeah im mostly not there.  Im lookin' at the internet.  So, I'm the worst streamer ever...no big deal.

https://www.twitch.tv/drizzt519

I played a bit of that Hot Wheels Unleashed last night.  Its a fun racing game but pretty simple.  Think most people will have the most fun in the track editor in that game.

I know I've said it already a couple times but I recommend this game.  Its really neat.

224eJVR.jpg

spacer.png

11 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Konami is back?

honestly it’s not surprising. Their main source of income which has been Pachinko halls while still  moderately popular the amount of them are dwindling very fast. Mainly cause of the huge generational shift in how money is spet by Japanese millennials and the upcoming generations.

There’s also been a lot of regulation changes and major crack downs on pachinko parlors over the last 10 years or so. 

also, Covid does have a pretty significant role to play in them losing money and dwindling locations. But not as big as the aforementioned reason. (The only reason I know these things is because I just watched a documentary about Pachinko a few days ago. 😂

Also the themed hotels and bars they own/license out their properties to haven’t gotten much traffic, especially tourism traffic since 2019 when again, Covid first started. 

They may as well be hemorrhaging money. So they’re running back to it not out of want but out  of necessity.

Edited by iStu X
2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Konami is back?

My main concern is...with who?  You booted out Kojima and he ended up taking a good chunk of the really solid workforce with him and you ran Iga out of the company.  The only way I see it happening in any sort of good manner if it's the rumor collab with Sony or it's a 3rd party handling most of the work and Konami is just there to supervise/give them the IP.  If it's coming directly from Konami its going to be HIGHLY sus.

6 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I was 100% onboard until the unlock system was detailed...

Fuck...Now I gotta think.

I wonder if this is something like what happened on CTR, that it was a way to push players to play online, where it was were you got most of your credits.

Seeing that they have future seasons planned, who knows, they maybe want to implement some form of events to play online.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

My main concern is...with who?  You booted out Kojima and he ended up taking a good chunk of the really solid workforce with him and you ran Iga out of the company.  The only way I see it happening in any sort of good manner if it's the rumor collab with Sony or it's a 3rd party handling most of the work and Konami is just there to supervise/give them the IP.  If it's coming directly from Konami its going to be HIGHLY sus.

Yea I read that and my first thought was "Do I even want anything made by modern Konami?" *Looks over at Contra Rogue Corps*

spacer.png

I just remembered, that OLED Switch is out next week too... oh yeah, if by some miracle I happen to see it somewhere like a Target or Best Buy or wherever, you're goddamn right it's bought right then and there.  In the modern era of consoles being nearly impossible to get, it may truly take a miracle though.

MS Rewards points--1 achievement in Diablo 2 gets ya 250 easy ms points at the moment.  Also, I think it's still worth 4,000 just getting D2 right now.  

edit---yep, OLED Switch videos are starting to pop up in recommended for me:

Edited by MillionX

I finally got thru the story mode on Borderlands 3 so I'm in Mayhem mode now with "Guardian Ranks", True Vault Hunter Mode and all that jazz; it's great....you get better xp, better loot, tougher enemies, of course.  I have Zane/Operative at 39-ish now....back to Moze she's just level 14.  It's such a relief that you can skip the terribly slow-paced beginning, at least....but yeah Moze's action skill starts off being completely ridiculous man...it's like I'm playing a different game here.  Right from the start, most enemies stand absolutely no chance against her "Iron Bear" mech.  That thing is a monster on the battlefield.  

5 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Rouge Corps wasn't the first Contra game to be a twin stick shooter. Neo Contra was the best one in doing that style. 

I wasnt really talking about the gameplay, but mostly about the feeling of the game and the presentation.

A twin sticks Contra can work, we have seen it in the past, but with Rouge Corps the departures were to strong in too many places.

Then add that Konami is on the bad side of most gamers right now, so that game was doomed.

@RegH81

@YourFavGrandpa

@Abbachio

And anyone else interested in the Cotton/Guardian Force Collection on Switch. Sounds like City Connection really screwed the pooch on this one. All their ports have had lag issues but apparently the Cotton/Guardian Force Collection has 11 fucking frames of lag. That's unplayable for a shmup.

I was gonna scoop this to have a cheap copy of Cotton 2, and easy way to take them with me places to show off Shmups to other people, but this is a hard pass for me at 11 frames of input lag, I already own Cotton Boomerang on Saturn, I'm more then happy with it, but this gets under my skin because now you guys and other people either have to pass or put up with a serious flaw that will greatly hamper your enjoyment and doesnt accurately represent these games (Well at least Cotton, Guardian Force sucks imo) and the hard work Success put into them back in the day.

Edited by RSG3
On 10/2/2021 at 6:08 AM, MillionX said:

I just remembered, that OLED Switch is out next week too... oh yeah, if by some miracle I happen to see it somewhere like a Target or Best Buy or wherever, you're goddamn right it's bought right then and there.  In the modern era of consoles being nearly impossible to get, it may truly take a miracle though.

MS Rewards points--1 achievement in Diablo 2 gets ya 250 easy ms points at the moment.  Also, I think it's still worth 4,000 just getting D2 right now.  

edit---yep, OLED Switch videos are starting to pop up in recommended for me:

Where you located?  There is a good chance I have an extra Neon one and if you are serious about wanting one I'd give it to you at cost as long as you cover shipping.