Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

More details on how digital distribution is kicking ass for Capcom. There's a particularly noteworthy chart about the "tails" of a games sales after release now vs prior to the digital market exploding. There's also a lot of talk about how Capcom embraces deep discounts once a development budget is paid, which is a decidedly non Nintendo move that keeps sales rolling in.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/82474/capcom-says-pc-is-priority-platform-that-sparked-digital-growth/index.html

Edited by Camacho
2 hours ago, Jurassic said:

I remember how strict Nintendo was back during the SNES days, now it seems Sony cares more about censorship than Nintendo.

Same but I guess with Sony's success and increased Western influence on the brand, they are more concerned with potential sexual content then Nintendo which with time learned not to give a fuck since it is likely forever digital and their is a quasi deniability with that.

so, I tried this silly game BATS: Bloodsucker Anti-Terror Squad... there's SO many "questionable" points of design going on here, man... like for one, you start off with zero health...so if you take a hit right away before you get health pickups (blood from killed enemies), naturally you die.  Some enemies are hitting you pretty much from the moment they are on screen, or at least they have zero start-up animation on a hit...they just decide you got hit and that's that...and hits seem to take 99% of the health away so it's like you have no health anyway, even when you do have it. 

Then there's certain sections where you're forced to run forward or up because of a rising stage hazard that instantly kills you....so of course that's filled with moments where if you guessed the wrong way to go or stopped for even half a second it's over....I got past one section where there was plenty of enemies to kill for health, but stopping to kill them meant certain doom from the stage hazard since you don't have enough time to get away with that.  Now on the 4th stage, there's a part where I hit a computer terminal to activate a certain door to open... problem is, the only path there is covered up by a fire stage hazard that beats you to that part where you go to a hallway.  It doesn't appear the character is fast enough to get there at all....like not even close.  Of course, the fire is a 1-hit kill.  Keep in mind this is also while avoiding enemies.... I stopped there for now.  

Third-stage boss is some real bullshit too, btw... there is an upper and lower area to the stage where you're fighting this dude.  He flies in this little ship and leaves bombs up top...so you only have so much time to hit him before that whole area is covered with the bombs which cannot be knocked away or prematurely detonated.  They also last a LONG time there, basically cutting off that entire section.  On the lower part, 2 large "pusher" devices take turns pushing the stage from the left and right side towards a middle acid pit area which is obviously a 1-hit kill.  Once the top side is covered, he rises up from the acid pit to shoot a bomb or 2 on this lower area.  It seems like the only possible way thru this is that you will take a guaranteed hit at some point. 

You also have to *hope* the game doesn't just decide you didn't jump when you clearly did when trying to jump over the boss and the acid pit while dodging the giant pushing device....I found someone else who suffered through the nonsense: (timestamped at 01:02 for that fight)

*EDIT---oh, and another little thing to top it off... the blood/health pick-ups...they are only on the ground for about 1.5 seconds or so.  You have to be right there for the pick-up immediately or it's gone in the blink of an eye.

The more I think about it... I really don't see how the 4th stage is possible then...it did not look like there was any other path leading to the door that opens...and the fire stage hazard always covers the ONLY access point to that area with the door each time. ...and I don't think you can go back back since there's another fire stage hazard from the upper floor that comes from the right side.  There is seemingly nothing else to do there but die repeatedly.  

haha the achievements for it are juicy though--- so far 100 a piece just for beating the stages...which will work out quite nicely in terms of my MS Rewards points 😆 (I got it with points too, so I didn't actually spend a dime on this)

Edited by MillionX
On 10/31/2021 at 9:20 AM, Jurassic said:

I remember how strict Nintendo was back during the SNES days, now it seems Sony cares more about censorship than Nintendo.

This has been the case for decades now. I'm not surprised that Sony censors more than Nintendo. I'm surprised that people talk about Nintendo censoring 3rd party games like it's a recent occurrence. The MK1 thing was almost 30 years ago.MK2 wasn't censored and during that same era they released their own fighting game with blood and fatalities (Killer Instinct).

Edited by Darc_Requiem
4 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

This has been the case for decades now. I'm not surprised that Sony censors more Nintendo. I'm surprised that people talk about Nintendo censoring 3rd party games like it's a recent occurrence. The MK1 thing was almost 30 years ago.MK2 wasn't censored and during that same era they released their own fighting game with blood and fatalities (Killer Instinct).

There were a lot of minute censorship calls for years before MK1 though. I specifically remember the cross and holy water items in Castlevania 1 being called "boomerang" and "fire bomb" in the manual and how the crosses on tombstones were taken off for the Na version of CV4. They also toned down a lot of the blood effects in SF2 for SNES and insisted that Poison and Roxy from Final Fight be turned into real femmy dudes, and these are just the examples I can think of off the top of my head. I think they finally got the hint after the backlash from MK1, but they'd been censoring things here and there for years. 

Edited by DoctaMario

Nintendo also censored Damned (renamed "Thrasher") and Sodom (renamed ""Katana") from Final Fight. Hell, they even kept that name change when SFA 2 came out for the SNES.

I don't get what Nintendo had against beating women up in beat-em-ups...considering Double Dragon did it for the whole NES trilogy (Renegade also comes to mind)

Also the religious symbolism was always present even in Nintendo games (i.e. Zelda), so why the fuss?

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Which was all over 30 years ago, which is the point of his post. People still treat Nintendo like they behave as they did over 30 years ago. 

The NES released 36 years ago. 

I don't think anyone is saying Nintendo is still like that, it's just that Nintendo was known for it back then, so it draws the comparison when it comes up. Sure, Nintendo hasn't been like that in a while but when they were, they were REALLY like that and on the level Sony apparently is now. 

Someone in one of the comments opined that it's because Sony relocated to the Bay Area 😂

Edited by DoctaMario
3 minutes ago, Lantis said:

I've heard a few horror tales from Walmart where people have ordered their PS5 and have been waiting on their shipment for months on end.

Better than waiting with nothing being shipped if you want one.

I think I got 2 from Walmart and both came when they said they would arrive.  

For every horror story you hear, there are 1000 "good" stories where items get to places on time and you just don't hear about em.

And yes I made that number up.

For Final Fight, Poison and Roxy weren't switched at the arcade level for America if I remember right? But I do believe they kept them off the SNES/Super Famicom due their outfits but I remember hearing that story/rumor which a developer turned into a trans joke and became semi lore? I stopped paying attention after a minute so some one correct me if I am off base.

22 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Oh yeah, it's one of my top-rank games of that era... I still love this action-packed trailer that was out for it:

Then part 2 had a memorable trailer as well... 

this series deserves to be resurrected some day.

*regarding the PS5 situation----yeah I've basically given up at this point.  It won't EVER be "easy" to get until it's time for the PS6/NextXbox era....and even then that's a maybe. (I can't remember the last time I've seen a PS4 or regular XB1 sitting in stores either.  It appears the era of easily getting a system is just over.  I refuse to jump through special hoops for something that should be as simple as purchasing any other thing you can get in a goddamn store.)

Edited by MillionX
1 minute ago, Lantis said:

Yep, does seem that way. Gave me the "we're getting you in line" before sending me to the main page

Can't even imagine how it's gonna be on Wednesday

Finally got through but now I got a 41 minute wait time which most likely means I ain't gettin one. Glad they implemented a queue to deal with botters tho lol

7 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Oh yeah, it's one of my top-rank games of that era... I still love this action-packed trailer that was out for it:

Then part 2 had a memorable trailer as well... 

this series deserves to be resurrected some day.

*regarding the PS5 situation----yeah I've basically given up at this point.  It won't EVER be "easy" to get until it's time for the PS6/NextXbox era....and even then that's a maybe. (I can't remember the last time I've seen a PS4 or regular XB1 sitting in stores either.  It appears the era of easily getting a system is just over.  I refuse to jump through special hoops for something that should be as simple as purchasing any other thing you can get in a goddamn store.)

I always wanted to try the game, but for some reason or another i never bought it.

1st because it released near Infamous, and between the 2 i ended going with Infamous.

At later time, when i tried to buy the hd remasters, i heard they had performance issues that made the ports not worth it at the time  😕

I still want to give the games a trie, since they seem right on my alley.

Loved every Injfamous to the point of platinum'ed each of them, and i think this would be the same XD.

19 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

How did it crash to hell when it was already located there though 🤔

Dunno everytime I click on the link it's flashing between several screens and it's about to give me a seizure

And now the page cannot be found....FML

Edited by Lantis
1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

I always wanted to try the game, but for some reason or another i never bought it.

1st because it released near Infamous, and between the 2 i ended going with Infamous.

At later time, when i tried to buy the hd remasters, i heard they had performance issues that made the ports not worth it at the time  😕

I still want to give the games a trie, since they seem right on my alley.

Loved every Injfamous to the point of platinum'ed each of them, and i think this would be the same XD.

I enjoyed what I played of Infamous, but I definitely preferred Prototype.  It was always an odd thing to me when I noticed so many people being of the opposite opinion on that.... for me, Infamous started off just "ok"....while Prototype started off like "HOLY SHIT" awesomeness right from the jump....it hit the ground running and the action never really stopped....so many memorable moments there...cool little details like chasing a certain person through the city in part 2, or fighting a certain creature on the side of a building and eventually down on street level in the first game (it was like an action sequence you'd expect to see in one of the older Spider-Man films)..... and of course a revelation that happens near the end in part 1.  Oh, and there was that detail of watching a city go from normal to absolute chaos and destruction....those moments of disappearing into the crowd of people to get away, since part of the deal here is morphing powers, and you can shapeshift to look like anyone.

sheeeittt, I can't say enough good things about it, really.... one of my top-rank game/series of all time.  This was definitely a "super power fantasy" done RIGHT.

My FFXIV raid group and I are so close to clearing the Unending Coil of Bahamut. It's basically a super boss raid that takes the 3 final bosses of each of the Binding Coil tiers, Twintania, Nael van Darnus and Bahamut, and plops them all into a raid and it's so fucking cool but the mechanics are just plain evil and it's also 18 fucking minutes long. Currently have 2 more phases to go, Twin/Nael tag team and then Golden Bahamut, but I'm so hype and our progress has been so good I can taste the clear.

2 hours ago, Wellman said:

For Final Fight, Poison and Roxy weren't switched at the arcade level for America if I remember right? But I do believe they kept them off the SNES/Super Famicom due their outfits but I remember hearing that story/rumor which a developer turned into a trans joke and became semi lore? I stopped paying attention after a minute so some one correct me if I am off base.

Yeah they were women in the arcade version but changed to men because somewhere between the NES era and when the SNES version came out, beating up women became a touchy subject. If it had just been the outfits, they probably could have just put them in jeans. 

3 hours ago, Wellman said:

By now, Capcom has decided to just let them be whatever you want them to be, women, pre op trannies, post op tranies, futas, simply because is more easy and avoids them the headache of having crazies coming at them  🤣

10 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I game tested this when i was at Activision...i thonk my name is in the credits under the test team still. I wasn't a fan of open world/sandbox games and i legit recall I gave my free copy to my friend at the time at an anime convention. The game mildly appealed to me only because if I'm going to be in an open world game, at least let me have fun with some wacky powers (which is why i have always been meh to the GTA series in recent years) I don't regret giving my copy away but i may gave the game a second chance someday. 

I still think about Okami when old load times and more current load times comes up.  In Okami there was that tiny mini game you played during loading screens to get those blue horns or some shit.  Later on in the HD version load times were nearly gone and that mini game didnt really work anymore.  Kinda sucked cause that was a simple, fun distraction that could let you get a few more of those horn things while you waited.  I guess that was something others had thought of too and now you can choose to make the load screen long just so you can play that mini game a bit.  lol