Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

18 minutes ago, Daemos said:

But Capcom is no longer in such a situation, and Capcom at the peak of its powers wipes the floor with SNK.

As much as I love the Capcom FGs, SNK games are overall just as good and as bad as Capcon games. For all the claims of busted stuff you can levy at a good amount of Capcoom FGs, you have similarish issues on the other side.

ST is awesome, but it is not played anywhere near to the amount that KoF 98 is. The same goes for some other title comparisons. 

Think what really sets both companies' history apart is that SF players have been a lot more passionate about competing in formal settings. The amount of work the US SF community did left a lot of other ones in the dust. 

SvC Chaos may have been a mess, but so was CvS1 one. Capcom got two passes at the cross over game and SNK got one. But SNK did the card fighter series which is really fun. 

Think if SNK had made games out of popular western IPs, we'd have a way different story.

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

The same logic you are using to forgive SNK's shortcomings can be applied to SF5. Capcom was in financial peril when they were developing SF5 that forced them to take a lot of shortcuts to try to save itself and the franchise.

But Capcom is no longer in such a situation, and Capcom at the peak of its powers wipes the floor with SNK.

Dunno where that rumor came from but that is easy to debunk.

Capcom has never been in financial peril, since in fact they were doing heavy investments in infrastructure.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/capcom-investing-usd80m-in-new-facilities

This is on 2014

Plus, we can see their public data on how they keep having actual growth during those years, even when their western initiative was failing

https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/annual_2012.html

https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/annual_2013.html

https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/annual_2014.html

https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/annual_2015.html

The reason why SFV launched as it was was because they wanted to

1) Launch the game at the start of the year for the CPT

2) Capcom even since SF4 launched, was not really that into making FGS again, since they seem them as low priority.

This is also very documented.

Like common man, at least try to verify what you are trying to pass as fact, since is very easy to do.

That shit sounds like some bs that Kappa invented to try to justify the fuckups of capcom that are all on them.

One of the beauties of capcom being a public company is that you can easily find info about their financial situation over the years.

Not only on gaming media, but financial and business publications, where they show you the hard data and actually give you tools to compare them, like for example.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/CCOEY/capcom/financial-statements

or

https://ycharts.com/companies/CCOEY/revenues_growth_5y

Also, the bad netcode, the stupid mechanics and hitboxes and all of that are deliberate choices and/or result of lack of foresight or plain incompetence.

Like for example, the input lag cycle, is something that is not unique to SF5, since it also appears on the SF30th collection, yet is not something that happens on SF4, MVC3 or SFxT.

Edit

I am sure that on another convo you brought that bs rumor, and I provided the same factual evidence that is not true.

So dunno why you insists on bringing something that is easily to be proven false to argue the SFV shortcomings 🤣

Edited by Hecatom
49 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Think what really sets both companies' history apart is that SF players have been a lot more passionate about competing in formal settings. The amount of work the US SF community did left a lot of other ones in the dust.

Unless you are talking about the players in the US, SNK players around the world have been doing the same for their games, the fact that KOF98, 2022, and other franchises still get tournament play in LATAM, China, Korea, Japan speaks volumes of how passionate the playerbase for those games are.

In the case of USA, was mostly that SNK games never really catched up until the 7th gen of consoles.

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

That game was such a disappointment back in the day.

At least the maga managed to be entertaining 🤣

It came out a time when I was still 2 or 3 years away from really understanding fighting games and even I knew "this game fucking sucks" after two hours. I think we were expecting something more like cvs2 but got that instead.

I think there is a fightcade lobby for it now and I'm tempted to go back but I'm worried I'll end up liking it. (Probability: 0.00001% chance.)

Here SF scene is already dead again after SF4 they may have some tournaments but only very few niche are still into SF and mostly everyone is into Tekken. SF is more looked here as a boomer FG nowadays.

Same in 2001, SF was dead and it was KOF and Mahvel that is the dominant of the FGC here until Tekken 5 came. Chaos here even had more players back then than CVS2 and SF3S because of accessibility due to piracy distribution.

CVS2 is something that mostly scene in Malls with expensive tokens while Chaos became instantly widespread that can be seen in a local neighbor backdoor garage turned into an arcade with 1 to 3 cabs.

10 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Here SF scene is already dead again after SF4 they may have some tournaments but only very few niche are still into SF and mostly everyone is into Tekken. SF is more looked here as a boomer FG nowadays.

Same in 2001, SF was dead and it was KOF and Mahvel that is the dominant of the FGC here until Tekken 5 came. Chaos here even had more players back then than CVS2 and SF3S because of accessibility due to piracy distribution.

CVS2 is something that mostly scene in Malls with expensive tokens while Chaos became instantly widespread that can be seen in a local neighbor backdoor garage turned into an arcade with 1 to 3 cabs.

Where do you live?

13 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Philippines in Manila

I see.

Something similar happened here.

SF games usually have been some of the main games in events, tournaments, weeklies, gatherings , but SFV killed that side of the scene.

There are still people who play it, but the majority moved to games like DBFZ, Tekken, KOFXV, etc.

This is specially more true with the younger/newer players on the scene in my country, that are not interested on playing SF5, and many don't really have a lot of interest on SF6, since the only SF they know sucks/is underwhelming in their eyes.

Funny enough, many of them have been playing MVC3 since is one of the games that many more capcom centric players jumped back into after SFV and MVCI was not what they wanted/liked.

I even think that SF3 gets more play, the same for mvc2 than SFV

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

SFV and MVCI was not what they wanted/liked.

I even think that SF3 gets more play, the same for mvc2 than SFV

Yeah same here MVC2 is still very much active here compare to SFV and  MVCi is also dead here while MVC3 still has a few niche

Most of the people here that are into SF came from the Mahvel scene not SF3, if they are still on twenties or early thirties, not really came from the generation of SF2 and Alpha.

4 hours ago, Sonero said:

Phillipines has a strong MvV2 scene. The problem has been how they play. They out the game on lowest damage settings and that changes the game completely.

I tried to watch some of MvC2 Evo. But when I caught a stream it was about how shitty the tournament ran.

☠️

They have switched to standard rules since at least 2018 now.

The stream was shit for the first bit but eventually came back, it was some issue to do with where they were located in the venue. "Vortex Gallery" was the proprietary side event at Evo this year instead of AnimEVO which seemed to have a firmer hold on the side events than previous years.