Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

6 hours ago, Illwill88 said:

Ffs they just announced a Gran turismo movie as someone who’s played every gt game except the psp version I can tell you we don’t want that. We’d love polyphony digital to make a proper gt but anyways. 

These video game movies for the most part aren’t for us. They are for the casual viewer who played these games a like 20+ years ago and are curious enough to see a movie  more scratch their childhood nostalgia. 

My mom wants to see the Mario movie on Saturday but I have 0 faith that movie will be any good. I’ll report back with how it goes lol. 

Also it GT7 any good yet? I bought it on a whim as car guy but I never played GT and I was underwhelmed.

Edited by Vhozite

The GT movie is a biopic though. It's about a guy who discovered his love and talent for racing through GT and became a professional driver. So basically just a very "standard" biographical movie that just happens to feature the racing sim called Gran Turismo. Pretty much the only reasonable way you could make a movie about that IP to be honest.

1 hour ago, delete_me said:

The GT movie is a biopic though. It's about a guy who discovered his love and talent for racing through GT and became a professional driver. So basically just a very "standard" biographical movie that just happens to feature the racing sim called Gran Turismo. Pretty much the only reasonable way you could make a movie about that IP to be honest.

Oh that makes sense. Honestly I was wondering where a GT movie would go so that makes sense.

3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

These video game movies for the most part aren’t for us. They are for the casual viewer who played these games a like 20+ years ago and are curious enough to see a movie  more scratch their childhood nostalgia. 

My mom wants to see the Mario movie on Saturday but I have 0 faith that movie will be any good. I’ll report back with how it goes lol. 

Also it GT7 any good yet? I bought it on a whim as car guy but I never played GT and I was underwhelmed.

Yeah I know some of them I understand some just irk me. But hell who am I to talk I’ll be going with my family to see Mario but I mean cmon it’s Mario lol. 

Yeah I wouldn’t say gt7 is good yet, and more than likely by the time it is it’ll be too late. The past couple gt games have pretty much been shit on by the community.  At this point it’s a tech demo for Sony and a billboard for the car manufacturers. Kaz lost the plot a long time ago.

7 hours ago, -PVL93- said:

Literally all AF needed was a financial backup as they were obviously operating on a maybe six digit budget 

The choreography, music, shots, characters, all of that stuff was fantastic. Hell they even got Ono for a small joke. 

Idk, i don't think was ONLY the budget to give the amateurish vibes

14 minutes ago, Illwill88 said:

Yeah I wouldn’t say gt7 is good yet, and more than likely by the time it is it’ll be too late. The past couple gt games have pretty much been shit on by the community.  At this point it’s a tech demo for Sony and a billboard for the car manufacturers. Kaz lost the plot a long time ago.

Its VR2 support is supposedly excellent in case one of those five people who bought the headset are online over here.

29 minutes ago, Illwill88 said:

As someone who wasn’t familiar with the series, I hated how after playing 2 hours I had like 10+ cars, including one of the ones I actually wanted. It wasn’t satisfying having the game bombard me with cars I like to work up to those and organically grow my collection in games like this. As for the cars themselves, the game needed more shit boxes lol. Yeah it had plenty of super cars but I’m much less interested in those than seeing how far I can bring a clapped out Civic. Also the fact that it had loot boxes was also a big turnoff. 

The actual driving was pretty great, but a lot of the shit surrounding it was a buzzkill. 

Edited by Vhozite
6 hours ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

My gripe about Luke is that he's a PMC. I was fine with his "modern Popeye who does MMA" gimmick until I found out he's a military contractor. I already had enough of all the military characters, but a mercenary is even worse. There's no such thing as a "good Rolento".

Hey Ike, was a good mercenary. 

IkeVL-Normal.png

Yeah it had plenty of super cars but I’m much less interested in those than seeing how far I can bring a clapped out Civic. Also the fact that it had loot boxes was also a big turnoff. 

The actual driving was pretty great, but a lot of the shit surrounding it was a buzzkill. 

that’s one of the major things they missed with the first couple hours you’re doing high end car collecting instead of the nostalgic David vs Goliath of making a crx walk a Supra lol. Much more than that but I don’t wanna derail the thread lol

Capcom really thought making Luke the main protagonist for sf6 was a good idea? Fudge man no wonder mk outsells sf every time. As a casual which game would you rather buy, a game with a badass mythical character on the cover or a game with Luke, a bland ass, non appealing cringe ass character? Case closed. 

Edited by Maravilla
51 minutes ago, Maravilla said:

Capcom really thought making Luke the main protagonist for sf6 was a good idea? Fudge man no wonder mk outsells sf every time. As a casual which game would you rather buy, a game with a badass mythical character on the cover or a game with Luke, a bland ass, non appealing cringe ass character? Case closed. 

That definitely isn’t the reason MK outsells SF, but I half agree with what I think is the spirit of your comment. Scorpion is the face of Mortal Kombat and you don’t see NRS shying away from that. Meanwhile Capcom has been trying to shovel us new protags in 3 of the last 4 mainline titles?

Compared to Ryu nobody gives a fuck about Alex, Luke, or Rashid and it’s pretty easy to confirm as much. Look at a character usage chart, references in pop culture, fan art, etc and it’s super obvious who the bread and butter characters are. When I hear a SF character mentioned in a rap song it’s definitely not any of those 3 bums being mentioned. Yet Capcom seems determined to fight this battle lol.

Its like Nintendo trying to push fucking Greninja over Charizard or Pikachu lol.

Story protags doesn't really need to be the face of the game. Ryu was the face of SFV and Rashid was the story protag

Sean is the perfect protag for me, because he is a compromise of both era, plus his a shoto and his the underdog that everyone almost want to a succeed

Alex is more like a FG character? Now I understand why Luke is technically a shoto inspired gameplay. because shoto are SFs trademark

Chun li is another potential but she not a shoto

Its like Nintendo trying to push fucking Greninja over Charizard or Pikachu lol.

exactly luke lol

Edited by Shakunetsu
7 hours ago, Vhozite said:

As someone who wasn’t familiar with the series, I hated how after playing 2 hours I had like 10+ cars, including one of the ones I actually wanted. It wasn’t satisfying having the game bombard me with cars I like to work up to those and organically grow my collection in games like this. As for the cars themselves, the game needed more shit boxes lol. Yeah it had plenty of super cars but I’m much less interested in those than seeing how far I can bring a clapped out Civic. Also the fact that it had loot boxes was also a big turnoff. 

It's an arcade racer, so it may not be your bag. NFS Unbound actually has decent amount of clunkers you can build up. No loot boxes, the racing is fun, but the story is cringe even by NFS standards imo but I'm not playing it for the narrative. They even have a Subaru BRZ as starter option once you get past the tutorial phase. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
5 hours ago, Vhozite said:

That definitely isn’t the reason MK outsells SF, but I half agree with what I think is the spirit of your comment. Scorpion is the face of Mortal Kombat and you don’t see NRS shying away from that. Meanwhile Capcom has been trying to shovel us new protags in 3 of the last 4 mainline titles?

Compared to Ryu nobody gives a fuck about Alex, Luke, or Rashid and it’s pretty easy to confirm as much. Look at a character usage chart, references in pop culture, fan art, etc and it’s super obvious who the bread and butter characters are. When I hear a SF character mentioned in a rap song it’s definitely not any of those 3 bums being mentioned. Yet Capcom seems determined to fight this battle lol.

Tbh this whole analysis is built on a hilarious wrong premise 😄

Basically if the question is why  "Capcom seems determined to fight this battle" of put Alex, Abel, Rashid and Luke above poor Ryu

Answer is in actual SF games

-kinda long version, skip if needed-

Spoiler

Half correct is SF3, where Alex indeed covered the role of new hero defeating in an highly ambiguous fight Gill, yet later Alex also got humbled hard by Ryu in 3TS

Street Fighter 3 3S alex Ending - YouTube

This was'nt even Ryu ending, but Alex one lol

SF4, Abel does'nt defeat final boss Seth.

Seth is'nt even too much interested in Abel, in fact Seth was interested in Ryu and his Satsui no Hado power for his own plans.

Seth is destroyed by Bison (while Ryu destroy another "Seth" clone and the BLECE machine)

Abel was mostly ignored in SF4

SFV, Rashid does'nt defeat final boss Bison.

In fact Rashid get important role in the story, but spotlight wise in terms of fighting only got to defeat FANG and was'nt even the only one to do it (Ken and Chun Li did too)

Role to defeat final boss Bison, gone to Ryu

SF6 is'nt even out and everybody is whining on Luke being the "main hero", when we still don't know shit and if anything hints are Ken (an old legacy character) may be the one to defeat final boss JP, because from the little we seen JP had far more impact on Ken's life and from quotes seems Luke somehow helped him

Would also add Ken lv3 super is a tribute to Ryu Final manga where Ken had unusual role of being a "boss beater", in particular the scene where Ken defeat Gill

Another "SFIII: Ryu Final Manga" reference makes it into the games:  SHINRYUKEN : r/StreetFighter

wich may be nothing, or may be a wink

Even interview may hint they may have big plans for Ken in SF6

Nakayama said, "In the l "Throughout the series, it seems like his life has become more and more stable, and the team felt like he was losing a reason to fight. But this is a way to create that reason for him to step up. We want to create that kind of plotline that explains why Ken is important and gives him that purpose. The story will be tied to those other characters close to him."

Now, i have no crystal sphere to proof that's how shit will go, but i find hilarious how everybody else with even less proofs seems to know already everything about SF6 and how Luke will somehow usurp legacy heroes, when Nakayama himself placed him in a group where "protagonists" were also Rashid and fucking Abel lol

Basically if the question is why  "Capcom seems determined to fight this battle" of put Alex, Abel, Rashid and Luke above poor Ryu

-short version-

SF3

SF4

SFV

Ryu vs. M. Bison - Street Fighter V: A Shadow's Fall - YouTube

SF6

June 2, 2023 Calendar with Holidays & Count Down - USA

Would argue if we follow SF actual history instead internet outrage we could say if anything SF seems too afraid to let new characters (and new villains, see Seth and even more Necalli) get a legit chance to shine

Writing this as somebody that wear a Ryu avatar through most of the year lol 😄

Edited by CESTUS III
58 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Tbh this whole analysis is built on a hilarious wrong premise 😄

-kinda long version, skip if needed-

Reveal hidden contents

Half correct is SF3, where Alex indeed covered the role of new hero defeating in an highly ambiguous fight Gill, yet later Alex also got humbled hard by Ryu in 3TS

This was'nt even Ryu ending, but Alex one lol

SF4, Abel does'nt defeat final boss Seth.

Seth is'nt even too much interested in Abel, in fact Seth was interested in Ryu and his Satsui no Hado power for his own plans.

Seth is destroyed by Bison (while Ryu destroy another "Seth" clone and the BLECE machine)

Abel was mostly ignored in SF4

SFV, Rashid does'nt defeat final boss Bison.

In fact Rashid get important role in the story, but spotlight wise in terms of fighting only got to defeat FANG and was'nt even the only one to do it (Ken and Chun Li did too)

Role to defeat final boss Bison, gone to Ryu

SF6 is'nt even out and everybody is whining on Luke being the "main hero", when we still don't know shit and if anything hints are Ken (an old legacy character) may be the one to defeat final boss JP, because from the little we seen JP had far more impact on Ken's life and from quotes seems Luke somehow helped him

Would also add Ken lv3 super is a tribute to Ryu Final manga where Ken had unusual role of being a "boss beater", in particular the scene where Ken defeat Gill

Another "SFIII: Ryu Final Manga" reference makes it into the games:  SHINRYUKEN : r/StreetFighter

wich may be nothing, or may be a wink

Even interview may hint they may have big plans for Ken in SF6

Nakayama said, "In the l "Throughout the series, it seems like his life has become more and more stable, and the team felt like he was losing a reason to fight. But this is a way to create that reason for him to step up. We want to create that kind of plotline that explains why Ken is important and gives him that purpose. The story will be tied to those other characters close to him."

Now, i have no crystal sphere to proof that's how shit will go, but i find hilarious how everybody else with even less proofs seems to know already everything about SF6 and how Luke will somehow usurp legacy heroes, when Nakayama himself placed him in a group where "protagonists" were also Rashid and fucking Abel lol

-short version-

SF3

SF4

SFV

Ryu vs. M. Bison - Street Fighter V: A Shadow's Fall - YouTube

SF6

June 2, 2023 Calendar with Holidays & Count Down - USA

Would argue if we follow SF actual history instead internet outrage we could say if anything SF seems too afraid to let new characters (and new villains, see Seth and even more Necalli) get a legit chance to shine

Writing this as somebody that wear a Ryu avatar through most of the year lol 😄

Every new numbered entry arguably introduced a new protagonist alongside Ryu. The exception could be the Alpha series. 

SF0 = Ryu + Charlie/Rose (pick one)
SF1 = Ryu

SF2 = Ryu + Guile/Chun/Ken (pick one) 

SF3 = Ryu + Alex

SF4 = Ryu + Abel

SF5 = Ryu + Rashid 

SF6 = Ryu + Luke

For the villains it follows a similar pattern more or less; the new antagonists are always tied to Bison in some way. Whether they were subordinates or they trying to 1-up him or both. G is the only exception afaik.

SF0 = Bison + Akuma (1-up)

SF1 = Sagat (subordinate)

SF2 = Bison

SF3 = Gill (1-up)

SF4 = Seth (subordinate) + Juri (1-up)
SF5 = Bison + Necalli/Fang (subordinate) [then G]

SF6 = JP (subordinate and/or 1-up)

it’s a pretty safeand convenient  pattern like you said and it keeps the fanbase happy.

5 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Story protags doesn't really need to be the face of the game. Ryu was the face of SFV and Rashid was the story protag

Sean is the perfect protag for me, because he is a compromise of both era, plus his a shoto and his the underdog that everyone almost want to a succeed

Alex is more like a FG character? Now I understand why Luke is technically a shoto inspired gameplay. because shoto are SFs trademark

Chun li is another potential but she not a shoto

Shotos are the most popular SF archetype hands down! At this point if your hero is NOT a Shoto, you've already lost half the battle in the hearts of casuals. Let's be real!!

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

it’s a pretty safeand convenient  pattern like you said and it keeps the fanbase happy.

Yeah, pattern is key, on surface nothing new is happening 😄

Street Fighter: Ryu & AlexXtAWGIZ.jpgStreet Fighter-Ryu versus Abel. | Jeux, Jeux videoStreet Fighter 6 Trailer Flexes A Ripped Ryu Squaring Off With Luke For All  New Brawls | HotHardware

Not sure about fanbase happy, safe fanservice is not necessary best way if cripple evolution

Maybe they should get bit more bold and let new characters try fly high rather than lazy half-ass attempt with them (and then consider them mediocre as if they tried) to keep main road reserved to usual faces

Like, as Ryu fan i don't need him being ever involved with current bosses (Ryu skipping JP in 6 will be nice but not mean much, considering Akuma will be seen as higher stuff and he's S1 lol)

I liked how in SF3 he just did his Ryu shit without being involved much in main story

Or as said many times hope we see at least 3 total new final bosses before Bison even dare again get his ass kicked in SF10 as final boss

And don't make me start with Akuma forever bullshit lol

Edited by CESTUS III
1 hour ago, Counterstrike said:

Shotos are the most popular SF archetype hands down! At this point if your hero is NOT a Shoto, you've already lost half the battle in the hearts of casuals. Let's be real!!

yup capcom learned that even making luke kinda shoto. shoto are staple go to character for casuals player, seasonal player and returning player to easily pickup the game.

11 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

It's an arcade racer, so it may not be your bag. NFS Unbound actually has decent amount of clunkers you can build up. No loot boxes, the racing is fun, but the story is cringe even by NFS standards imo but I'm not playing it for the narrative. They even have a Subaru BRZ as starter option once you get past the tutorial phase. 

Unbound would have been excellent without the Heat system. I gave up in Week 2 because it's such an insufferable feature. 

I understand why it's there because progression is tied to money, but if it's fundamentally unfun, then they need to rework the entire progression system instead.

It's such a shame because Criterion still always nails the driving aspect.

26 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Don't need to do all that, squigga, just ask for the "files".

👀

I already have the REDACTED on my computer I don’t play it because I’m not particularly interested in labbing those characters. I want to fight real people.

1 hour ago, Jocelot said:

Hopefully the open beta thing turns out to be true. Would be even more awesome if we got even a few new characters. I'd even settle for a rotation tbh

At this point, I think it's happening.  The more I think about it though, I doubt we'll get new characters. They'll want us to wait for the release to get everything.  

Edited by HeavensCloud

I already have the REDACTED on my computer

Does anybody who played the beta on PC also have these [REDACTED] files? I'm concerned about performance. On my PC is seems to be rebuilding all the shader caches all the time, and it runs like crap during some CAs, but I'm guessing/hoping that the REHook is slowing things down. Also, how is stick compatibility? I can only use my stick via a 360 pad emulator and it's laggy as all hell.

Edited by JustBooming