Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

I’m still really on the fence about Strive. I wouldn’t mind getting in on the ground floor for GG light but that wall break mechanic really turns me off. Can’t remember if Strive has chip kills. Also haven’t seen a character that made me go “that’s my main!” in terms of gameplay yet. Milia and Pot look ok but only as fallback choices lol. 

A lot of it depends on how much I like the upcoming changes to SFV and any potential changes to MK11 in the future. I’d really like a FG to be excited about lol. 

When does the beta start?

One thing that really irked me on Strive from the closed beta test impressions were people saying anti airs were weak. 

I always liked the really good AA 6P's in previous GG. Having solid anti air options should always be important in a fighter imo. Hearing they were worse, unintentional or not, doesn't sound very cash money. 

Here's hoping they're closer to old games with the new beta. 

39 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I’m still really on the fence about Strive. I wouldn’t mind getting in on the ground floor for GG light but that wall break mechanic really turns me off. Can’t remember if Strive has chip kills. Also haven’t seen a character that made me go “that’s my main!” in terms of gameplay yet. Milia and Pot look ok but only as fallback choices lol. 

A lot of it depends on how much I like the upcoming changes to SFV and any potential changes to MK11 in the future. I’d really like a FG to be excited about lol. 

When does the beta start?

After the initial gameplay footage, they added chip kills in time for the closed beta. You can see Nagoriyuki win a round with chip at around 2:25

Beta starts on the 18th. Preordering the digital version will get you a day early.

30 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Do we have any info regarding the system mechanics of Strive, or do I have to wait for that video to come out in a week?  Surely it's in written form somewhere?

They talk a little about Roman canceling and bursting on the official site, but not much else. Anything you want to know? I may be able to help.

30 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Do we have any info regarding the system mechanics of Strive, or do I have to wait for that video to come out in a week?  Surely it's in written form somewhere?

If it's not here, then panic.

https://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Guilty_Gear_-STRIVE-

14 minutes ago, Illwill88 said:

I think people are gassing that too much vs Sim.

Think about it, you burned half a V-Bar (Isn't Trigger 1 kind of a big deal on this matchup?)... To get a knockdown from fullscreen. With Grief. And it might not even be a hard KD.

Is this really that much of a game changer? 🤔

28 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I don’t see the issue here. Sim is flow charting (he hits his button before The fireball even hits Gief) and got swatted for it. Even then he’s still fullscreen and Gief gave up have a VT bar. 

This looks like healthy interaction to me lol.

Necros have a similar issue in 3S. I was playing this Necro player about 30 mins ago. I walked up to halfscreen, down parry buffered. Of course he hit a button. I got a parry, Cr.HP > Shoryuken > Denjin charge. Got the unblockable, free W. 

Beat that guy 17-0 🙂

He looks so cool. Def looking forward to trying out my Naggo during the beta but managing the T H I R S T gauge is gonna take some getting used to. Gotta find the balance between using your special moves and applying pressure while remaining hydrated. 

Still bummed Anji didn't make the open beta cut but I'll gladly take Nagoriyuki as a consolation prize ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o)

Edited by Jocelot
1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

They talk a little about Roman canceling and bursting on the official site, but not much else. Anything you want to know? I may be able to help.

(Thx Volt!)

Yeah, what's the difference between a burst and a defensive Roman cancel? They do the same thing?

Is GG a good game for pad?  SF is a six button game so it isn't.  I can't stand using shoulder buttons for attacks.  But Strive is a 5 button game... 

What's the difference between punch button and kick button? In SF kicks have range while punch has less startup, usually. But with two weapon buttons....

15 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

So basically, press buttons that reach half-screen.

Looks like I found my main. 🤣

5 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

(Thx Volt!)

Yeah, what's the difference between a burst and a defensive Roman cancel? They do the same thing?

Is GG a good game for pad?  SF is a six button game so it isn't.  I can't stand using shoulder buttons for attacks.  But Strive is a 5 button game... 

What's the difference between punch button and kick button? In SF kicks have range while punch has less startup, usually. But with two weapon buttons....

You're welcome fam.

As for playing on pad... As the resident Chad Analog user, I can confirm that there is some getting used to. Your problem will be less buttons and more Instant Air Dashing.

The input for that is "96" or "uf, f" in SF terms. The fastest you can do it, the better. So you might want to practice that.

As for the buttons, the face buttons will do nicely and you can set the macros for RC and the like on the shoulder buttons where they'll be used less.

Sweep does require Dust, the 5th button, so you might want to keep that in mind. Iirc, throws were changed to the D button as well.

The punch button is essentially your weak ass jab button. The kick usually functions as an in-between for Punch speed and Slash range. Think of it as kind of a light medium.

There are *several* games that are dirt cheap. Reload runs on PCs that can barely handle Google Chrome and you can get the money for it by pretty much just selling your steam cards. If you want to just get a feel of the button scheme, it'll work despite Strive being so mechanically different.

Of course, I have to add the disclaimer after a long post like this: It's me. Y'all shouldn't trust me too much regarding FGs.

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

Sorry, i was on my work.
I just finished got out.

At the time i am having my free days on Wednesday and Thursday.

So i am only able to play around  9 PM central time 😕

BTW, do i need to download somewhere the rollback patch, or is something that is automatically installed on steam?

It's not a Beta anymore, right? Should be an automatic update.

Been playing MVC2 a lot today and since I’ve gotten back into it, I’ve avoided Wolverine because he’s low tier, despite him being my main 20-odd years ago and one of my favourite fighting game characters ever.

I really had the urge to play him low tier or not, so I’ve been labbing him a lot today and I just found out (perhaps for the first time) how to do his Drill Claw special (which is LK+HP at the same time)... Now, I may have known how to do that years ago, but never bothered doing that input on a Dreamcast pad, but now it’s easy-peasy on Hitbox..

So what I’m trying to say is that pad sucks

Edited by Mattatsu
3 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

That's the V-Shift Break input. Not the V-Shift input. It's for the attack you can perform during V-Shift when your opponent is out of your normal range.

I didn't say it was anything tho, just posted the article. 🤣

Though it is fair to assume Shift will have the same input as Break.

52 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Burst is your get off me mechanic. Hitting an opponent with it will throw them off you. You can use it defensively when you are in blockstun and being hit. You can also use it offensively which triggers what is called a Gold Burst and will get you full meter if you hit them with it. Using any of these will take away your burst meter and you will have to wait for it to refill before you can do another Burst.

However it can be baited. If you use a defensive burst and the opponent blocks it, they are nowhere near you to hit or they throw your then you can be punished and it will take a longer time for your burst yo recover. You can not burst during super moves or throws.

Defensive Roman Cancel is this game’s answer to the previous games’ Dead Angle Attack(think of that like an Alpha Counter). Using 50% of your meter, you can get your opponent off of you when you are in blockstun. You can’t use this when you are being hit.

I am not the best person to answer for that since I only play on pad. I don’t really have no problems with it. There is one attack button that lies on the shoulders: Dust. It’s where the universal sweep, overhead, and now throw lie on. 

In GG, it’s pretty much the same thing for punches and kicks. Punches are usually where your fastest button lands but they usually have the shortest range. Kicks are usually shorter but faster than slashes while longer but slower than punches. 

Punches are also where the universal anti air button is located. 6P gives you upper body invincibility, allowing you to go through some attacks.

Edited by BornWinner
27 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Sorry, i was on my work.
I just finished got out.

At the time i am having my free days on Wednesday and Thursday.

So i am only able to play around  9 PM central time 😕

BTW, do i need to download somewhere the rollback patch, or is something that is automatically installed on steam?

Oh you use central? That makes it easier to get matches from you. And it’s like what Volt said. The rollback is in now, so you would just need to download an update.

31 minutes ago, Volt said:

Who's getting Strive on PC here?

If I get it it'll be on PC.  I have no consoles. 

52 minutes ago, Volt said:

The input for that is "96" or "uf, f" in SF terms. The fastest you can do it, the better. So you might want to practice that.

Ugh. No button-dash?    This is my first air-dasher, unless you count UMVC3, which I wouldn't. 

52 minutes ago, Volt said:

The punch button is essentially your weak ass jab button. The kick usually functions as an in-between for Punch speed and Slash range. Think of it as kind of a light medium.

Oh I get it, it's SamSho.  OK thx.

55 minutes ago, Volt said:

and you can get the money for it by pretty much just selling your steam cards.

:looks at what that is:    I see nothing on sale for $0.75  😄 

26 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

In GG, it’s pretty much the same thing for punches and kicks. Punches are usually where your fastest button lands but they usually have the shortest range. Kicks are usually shorter but faster than slashes while longer but slower than punches. 

Punches are also where the universal anti air button is located. 6P gives you upper body invincibility, allowing you to go through some attacks.

+1 insightful post. 

2 hours ago, GreatDarkHero said:

Chun-Li in @Dayaan's AV looks like she just waiting for the next victim of V-Shift.

Chun-Li: *Yaaawn* "Capcom just made my life easier. So you wanna run up with buttons? Cool, cool. Just don't be surprised when you lose 40% of your life just cause I slipped out with that V-Shift." 

Was literally just playing Chun Li! I have a short clip coming up. Maybe 20 secs. Wanna see it when it's ready?