Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

18 minutes ago, Illwill88 said:

I wonder if there's going to a way to counter or punish these. I guess maybe v-reversal or super?

Either way it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I feel like there has to be or it’s gonna get degenerate fast. Pretty sure Dan does on wake up during his promo. We already know it’s basically 100% invincible and has a slow mo to give you a whole year to confirm you caught the other guy slipping.

9 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm little confused with Dan costumes. Is the shirtless look with the Tengu mask his default? I noticed that his classic outfit is shown as one of the costume you get on the premium pass.

If that's the case then I hope Rose's classic costume isn't her default. 

They look pretty similar but his default is still the Pink Gi. The classic costume they show has ripped off sleeves, a longer belt, and what looks to be lighter hair.  

13 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

They look pretty similar but his default is still the Pink Gi. The classic costume they show has ripped off sleeves, a longer belt, and what looks to be lighter hair.  

When I saw the top hanging loose from the belt I thought "oh we're throwing shade at Geese now, huh?"

That's Dan's real upgrade.

Missed the stream so thanks @EvilCanadianfor the video analysis!

Wow, this winter update was much better than the summer update.  Can't believe I'm saying this but Dan actually looks kind of cool.  He has some technical stuff going on and unlike SFIV he's not just build around Dan kicks.  

Rose's character model looks terrible but it's in a work in progress so I'm sure she'll look fine on release.  Her gameplay looks sick though, tarot cards, air fireball, exploding orbs.  She basically has Yang's Seiei Enbu in Soul Illusion.  Looking forward to trying her out.  

The new defensive mechanic could potentially change the entire meta game and now people can stop complaining about SFV having no defense options.  This combined with the balance patch could really shake things up.  

Capcom actually managed to shatter all expectations for once.  

14 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Why the fuck is he saying her name “RAM-LETHAL”? 

I thought it was RAM-LA-THALL. Have I been saying it wrong?

Anyways, not sure what to make of her here. As I understand it you can’t manually recall swords unless you use beam super? Also can she only use them as straight projectiles? Doesn’t look like setting swords is a thing anymore I guess? She just seems like not having them is bad now? 

Feel like I’m missing something because it seems like she’s barely the same character. 

Ram-Lethal might be the most severely changed character I think. Her playstyle looks pretty much completely different and the moves she kept got heavily retooled.

No more set sword vortex, no command grab. Even her old P/K target combos got changed into a straight up special move now. For better or worse she's pretty much the Juri of Strive as far as movesets go. Guess we can only wait n see how it pans out

From what I can gather with this and takehara’s gameplay , her gameplan is this:

Juggle opponent into corner > bully them with fuck-huge normals > throw a sword here and there, the explosion in the corner letting her be plus and the chance to run and get them back > ? > profit

Don’t know how well that will go, but I’m willing to go all in on her for the beta.

3 hours ago, EvilCanadian said:

im covering to many games lately im tired 😞

also fyi to you duders I got picked by arcsys to showcase strive a bit early, so on the 16th ill be having 2 diff streams showing the game off. 5am est stream and 3pm est stream(I dont get to pick the times).

so show up and dont have weird twitch names that aren't the names I know you by or I won't know its you guys.

I won’t be able to watch live, but congrats EC

4 hours ago, EvilCanadian said:

also fyi to you duders I got picked by arcsys to showcase strive a bit early, so on the 16th ill be having 2 diff streams showing the game off. 5am est stream and 3pm est stream(I dont get to pick the times).

so show up and dont have weird twitch names that aren't the names I know you by or I won't know its you guys.

IN.

Good to hear you doing well fam, keep it up. 👍

1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

There will be another fighting game round table on the 20th.

Those confirmed to show up are Arc Sys, SNK, and Namco. This may probably have the reveal trailer of the last character for Strive and the other DLC for Tekken Season 4.

Interesting no capcom this time eh? I guess they did just blow there load on the winter update.

Been thinking of trying a small stream for SFV for a lot of time and i never go through with it, maybe this new patch is a good time to start. 

I basically wanna create new account and play matches as Juri, Poison, Lucia, Seth and Falke. The characters i mess around with mostly, see where i end up. Doubt anyone gonna tune in but it's just something i have on my mind for quite some time.

Edited by Skort
27 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Do we know if you can V-Shift while in block stun?  That would be a pretty big difference, if you can't.  Regardless, V-Reversal still will drain your stun gauge- so there's at least one use case for it still. 

Judging by the wording, it requires a neutral state.

I could be wrong tho.

22 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Do we know if you can V-Shift while in block stun?  That would be a pretty big difference, if you can't.  Regardless, V-Reversal still will drain your stun gauge- so there's at least one use case for it still. 

I don’t think you can use it in block stun. I was watching some of the clips on YT in slow motion and every time a character shifts in the middle of a block string there is no blockstun or hit reaction on the shifters end. Basically this is for before you’re in blockstun, and VR is for when you’re already in blockstun.

The interesting thing is that there is still some kind of phantom hurtbox present on the shifters end. You see a couple examples of it, but if the attackers button hits where the shifting player was/is, they can still cancel into a special despite missing them.

I like that V-shift adds another layer of depth to a pretty dry game but my main fear remains. This tool can potentially ( let's face it , it will ) buff characters that do not need it. 

And while it's cool i can escape from dumb shit like Bison endless pressure or Akuma's double air zanku just as well these fools can turn the tide on me on the rare occasion i have them on the defense. 

I smile,yet i cry.

16 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

The interesting thing is that there is still some kind of phantom hurtbox present on the shifters end. You see a couple examples of it, but if the attackers button hits where the shifting player was/is, they can still cancel into a special despite missing them.

The phantom hurtbox is likely how they achieve the slow mo effect. It's gonna to detect a missed attack somehow.

11 minutes ago, Skort said:

And while it's cool i can escape from dumb shit like Bison endless pressure or Akuma's double air zanku just as well these fools can turn the tide on me on the rare occasion i have them on the defense. 

I smile,yet i cry.

It will blow up mindless buttons > safe specials in neutral.  

The follow up V- brake animation is really dope.

5 minutes ago, Flackaveli said:

It will blow up mindless buttons > safe specials in neutral.  

The follow up V- brake animation is really dope.

I do not question it's usefulness , more so i fear it in the hands of characters that already dominate in the game.

I keep my statement that universal changes are a poor way to balance a roster. Remains to be seen what patch notes will bring to the table but i seriously doubt  Urien, Akuma, Bison , Seth and the rest of the usual suspects will be dropping dramatically just because you can avoid some of their stuff now, especially since the avoidance cost depletes your best come back mechanic in the game , the v-trigger.

Vshift is super interesting...

It's nuts how much Ono must have been holding these guys back. You can tell from rose and Dan that the cuffs are off, Dan who is traditionally kind of bland and simple probably has one of the more technical V systems to work with as of now... followed by rose.

Vshift  is basically a neat take on a parry, but one that cost meter.

Has to be done in neutral, and can be cancelled into a follow up or move the shift attack, and if done with "parry" timing aka timed against an attack you get a 3rd of your bar back meaning you won't be V shifting into V trigger into stupid stuff, but also if used correctly you should be able to get more than a few a round and also pop trigger.

It also kind of makes buffering normal's into specials in neutral a bit more risky at high levels if people have a read on it. walking around mashing cr mk and buffering spiraling arrow can now be unsafe if a person has v gauge.

It's actually really well though out.

The ONLY and I mean only big down side I can see to this is  when characters start getting OS's on attack or defense. Hopefully it's implemented in a away that the OS's are zero to very limited.

I guess one more downside I can see is the game getting really slow,  delay buttons could be really bad depending on certain character punishes with vshift.  Which means defense might be TOO good with this change...

It's a odd thing to say seeing how unga offense can be in this game, but delay throw tech and buttons already make people have shimmy which in turn makes me have to take the throw... so now you have other option makes it a bit harder for offense while also slowing down the biggest burst of offense the trigger activation.

I guess we see.

V shift is more of neutral defense tool to me, I think under pressure after knock downs and things  V reversal and things are probably still going to be the go to, unless you have a read on your opponent.

Also did they show someone doing V shift from a jump in?  That could be super good for characters that's taller, and or with dp's for more time to react. 

42 minutes ago, Skort said:

I like that V-shift adds another layer of depth to a pretty dry game but my main fear remains. This tool can potentially ( let's face it , it will ) buff characters that do not need it. 

Agreed. Like for example G now has a defensive option lol. 

I saw people talking about Nash being saved because shifts and I’m like ???. This very same mechanic basically removes one of his specials from the game and makes EX Boom’s second hit harder to use. It helps his bad defense but it also makes his already limited offense harder to run. 

At the bare minimum we gotta see what other changes the patch brings. 

Edited by Vhozite

I want to see if frame data, distance covered,etc is the same for all characters when it comes to this.

And it better fucking be,because when you look at V-reversals and how some are clearly better than others, while others even offer side switches and such while consuming the same resources you can't help but get pissed off.

Yeah, I also don't think Ono has anything with the gameplay input that the fault of the twitter leak spread misconception

Ono wasn't the battle planner and Capcom is looking for a battle planner lately which contradict what was claimed in the twitter leak about SF6 being in a good direction with a lady battle planner.

There was also no trace of SF6 in the ransomware leak

All of the twitter leak was untrue other than Ono to exit  Capcom

It might be just gossip against Ono from those that dislike working with him and did take the opportunity when he didn't met expectation of the higher ups

Capcom had high expectation lately that it would easily pull the plug for a franchise that is out of trends 

Edited by Shakunetsu
20 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

It's nuts that people believe Ono had any input at all, let alone on gameplay things.

Also, has people just forgot that Woshige has been battle director since release?

What?

You think Ono didn't have final say in what was in the game overall?

One look at V shift and Ono would probably waved it off as "to difficult for new players"

There is a level of simplistically that has ran from season 1 up until now outside a very small  handful of characters.

Ono clearly wasn't in the office saying "this needs to be +5 and have an extended hit box" but if he couldn't play it and execute a move properly or consistently it probably was on the list to be "looked at"

He was obviously trolling but Punk was saying this will make sim top 5. Some agreed some disagreed. I am curious to see how zoners and keep away characters will fare in this. Falke could end up being way stronger. 

But it kind of goes back to what some of y'all have brought up. Will things remain the same meta wise and this is just another layer?  I guess it depends on if the vbreaks are all the same and frame data.

8 hours ago, EvilCanadian said:

Congratulations fren. May we all return to monke.

32 minutes ago, TheDarkPhoenix said:

What?

You think Ono didn't have final say in what was in the game overall?

One look at V shift and Ono would probably waved it off as "to difficult for new players"

There is a level of simplistically that has ran from season 1 up until now outside a very small  handful of characters.

Ono clearly wasn't in the office saying "this needs to be +5 and have an extended hit box" but if he couldn't play it and execute a move properly or consistently it probably was on the list to be "looked at"

Ono is a producer. What that entrails varies. Seeing how Ono doesn't have a development background and spend a good chuck of his career being a sound programmer and music composer I seriously doubt the man had any input when it comes to the gameplay of the games. In interviews, he always seem to describe his job as being a manager more than anything else. 

I personally think that Ono had very little to do with SFV's development. 

I honestly think he was there just for the image. The dude who announces stuff, comes on camera and hypes things up. He was well known, people liked him for the most part. Now, people are mindless drones so when shit does not go their way they quickly flock and point fingers to the main person they know, in this case old man Ono. 

I seriously doubt he was the one responsible for the clusterfuck that was SFV's development cycle. If he had some say into this, there's no way he was the main / only reason.