Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

19 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

But then again, I don't want to get between you and your desperate need to shit on Capcom to compensate the perceived slights against anime games.

He doesnt shit on Capcom for any perceived slight against anime games.

He does shit on them due their constant fucks ups on SF, a series he loves.

He shits on the community for the slights though.

19 minutes ago, GreatDarkHero said:

V-SHIFT! So I *can* actually use defensive strategies?! 

BrianF video he says jabs might be safe when Shifted, so maybe Jab Fighter 4 has returned?

Also if you call out a Shift, how to punish? How long is the parry active?

Right now it looks like the parry starts frame 1.  RIP frame traps and most of Cammy's "neutral".

Also the "-2 mixup" may be dead. RIP Sakura 

Edited by Pair of Rooks

Well it's not  like you can use shift when you want to,you still need the bar. And you need to factor in how many are gonna be whiling to sacrifice their v-trigger. That's still the core mechanic of this game and also the main issue imo.

Shift will shake things up for sure though at start.

Edited by Skort

I think the shift will definitely help a lot more weaker characters than the top tiers. Do you think Kolin, Akuma, G or Urien players are going to be blasting away their v-meter willy-nilly? No, they're going to hang on to it for their v-triggers. But someone like Alex? He's going to have a lot more freedom, which will give him a leg-up during the match.

It also might not be about "punishing" v-shift, but rather baiting it then continuing pressure. If they use it and you just sat there, they've wasted one v-bar and scooted themself closer to the corner. Just take a step forward, claim your ground, and know you guessed right.

34 minutes ago, Skort said:

Well it's not  like you can use shift when you want to,you still need the bar. And you need to factor in how many are gonna be whiling to sacrifice their v-trigger. That's still the core mechanic of this game and also the main issue imo.

Shift will shake things up for sure though at start.

It definitely gives characters with wack VTs a good option.

I'd mention Ryu, but he can cancel DP into VT2 Parry Counter now.

If it still leaves people in a crumple state on hit...

QONVIyz.gif

Edited by Volt

On another topic, I've spent my entire work day thinking about Rose. Right now I'm pondering how she'll use meter. We've seen EX fireball, which seems to knock the opponent really far away. That's good for zoning wars, and gives her time to set up either v-skill, or a soul trap. We've seen the EX anti-air grab, which looks really cool. 200 + damage presumably can really incentivize people to stay on the ground.

What about EX Soul Spiral? Is it still an invincible reversal? If not, what does it do? Some kind of launcher/combo extender perhaps?

Or EX soul mine, or whatever it's called. Does she drop multiple traps? What if she summons an orb that follows the opponent like a Soul Satellite before exploding? That would be pretty sick.

In previous time there were lots of good stuff too like the season 3 characters and the time we had additional content like a new version of arcade mode. If were talking about effort.

I remember the time Ono even said that he would talk to some withing Capcom because of people requesting him additional character for SFV.  So it wasn't him having the last word or so in SFV.

This current management isn't perfect either, we had Dan as a choice

But the difference is they come up with other surprises while laying off everything to expect and also asking feedbacks.

Edited by Shakunetsu
2 hours ago, Yiceman said:

On another topic, I've spent my entire work day thinking about Rose. Right now I'm pondering how she'll use meter. We've seen EX fireball, which seems to knock the opponent really far away. That's good for zoning wars, and gives her time to set up either v-skill, or a soul trap. We've seen the EX anti-air grab, which looks really cool. 200 + damage presumably can really incentivize people to stay on the ground.

What about EX Soul Spiral? Is it still an invincible reversal? If not, what does it do? Some kind of launcher/combo extender perhaps?

Or EX soul mine, or whatever it's called. Does she drop multiple traps? What if she summons an orb that follows the opponent like a Soul Satellite before exploding? That would be pretty sick.

I'm trying to figure out her game plan. Runaway fireball zoner?  Long limb footsies? Satellite orbs rushdown?  Extended Falke-combo setplay?  I can see cases for all of these. 

Most of her specials seem to take awhile to end, even the air fireball has many total frames albeit in startup.  

It's hard to theorycraft here without having hard numbers. I don't even know what all the tarot cards system does or works, but there's a UI for it like Juri's stores, and some cards seem chargeable. 

Like, the Falke move seems to not "hit" the person, no damage, just recoil. So, is it unblockable?  

So many questions.

(But not about Soul Spiral. It's a forward moving hitbox, so it'll be projectile invincible and safe on block, welcome to the world of Street Fighter V.)

Edited by Pair of Rooks
6 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

On the new mechanic of air to air normals causing counterhit into juggle: it might answer the criticism of AAing people just isn't punishing enough to discourage jumping in a seventh time. 

It might be an attempt at an answer but a really shitty one. If you leave the ground and don’t get the CH you’re just going to land into a scramble situation. Even with the CH air to air will make juggling awkward unless you have something fast like a DP. 

Idk why theyre so sacred of anti-airs.

39 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

what are yours?

Is not GG.

I don't doubt it will be at least descent.

But i am not interested on playing a whatever is this shit posing as a GG game.

One thing i always liked about ASW, until now, is that instead of dumbing down/making unnecessary changes to their games, they will instead, create new series to explore their ideas.

Now we have a game that not only takes that away, but also commits the cardinal sins like prioritizing looks over gameplay, like how on the snow stage you have all the visual details of the snow making hard to see what is happening on screen.

This game will be the SFV of the GG series.

In that they are making a lot of contradictory decisions to what their intended goal is.

Edited by Hecatom
2 hours ago, Dayaan said:

Hm. I think I'm decided on Strive. Not getting it. What about you all? Looks like a great game! I hope some players among us become tourney champs. I look forward to watching you guys develop. 

I'm actually warming up to it. I haven't played a GG since renting the original back in the stone age and kinda assumed it would disappear like most others. (Looking at you, Tobal and Psychic Force.)  Never been a fan of the edgelord music (sorry AresWarlock) but idk now at least it's inoffensive.  Still a bit too anime, what with May's voice being as squeaky as her dolphins.  

It does seem like a fine onramp into the series, though I recall Xrd was also called this and also a bit disliked by the GG faithful at the time? 

In any event, the dripfeed of intro vids works for me. My time is limited these days, so getting bitesized infodumps on each characters' basics while we await the release means that when I finally boot it up I'm ready to attack the combo trials or other single player content with a couple of possible mains. 

Riot fighter is still years away.  SFV Rose has me feeling a certain kind of way, but I think I'm ready for something that isn't SF or Smash for awhile. I almost bit on GranBlue but ... lolies like Ferry etc I just can't take seriously. I avoid DoA too. At least May wears a sweatshirt.

4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Probably to avoid the massive complaints about it. Everyone and their mother complained about the jab AA from season 1. 

People complained because AA jabs were legitimately dumb though. It was a one button AA that took no commitment and came out so fast that character could AA deep jumpins without needing to input a dp motion. When characters like Ryu are jabbing to AA instead of using a damn DP it’s a problem. 

The funny thing is that AA jabs didn’t do enough damage to actually deter jumping, so it feels bad on both ends in a way. People want blow up jumps for real damage like Akuma b.hp so you aren’t still losing the damage trade to 1 jumpin after 3 AA’s

2 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

People complained because AA jabs were legitimately dumb though. It was a one button AA that took no commitment and came out so fast that character could AA deep jumpins without needing to input a dp motion. When characters like Ryu are jabbing to AA instead of using a damn DP it’s a problem. 

The funny thing is that AA jabs didn’t do enough damage to actually deter jumping, so it feels bad on both ends in a way. People want blow up jumps for real damage like Akuma b.hp so you aren’t still losing the damage trade to 1 jumpin after 3 AA’s

I didn't think they were dumb. Coming from SFxT where AAs were braindead and easily lead to combos that took at minimum 40% of your health having jabs AA wasn't shit. I also like my SF to stay grounded so anything that makes jumping a risk is welcomed to me. The most you can ever get from jab AA is a side switch during air recovery. 

13 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

SFVs shitty Jump-Hitboxes didn't help the AA Jab matter. You had a giant hurtbox in front of a tiny hitbox, thats also one of the reasons why Cammys b+MP made her impossible to jump at.

33 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I didn't think they were dumb. Coming from SFxT where AAs were braindead and easily lead to combos that took at minimum 40% of your health having jabs AA wasn't shit. I also like my SF to stay grounded so anything that makes jumping a risk is welcomed to me. The most you can ever get from jab AA is a side switch during air recovery. 

Nah when my testicles are brushing a guys face and he somehow still AA’s my cross up by jabbing in the wrong direction...I like my SF grounded af but that shit can get gone. I don’t want the game going in the other direction where characters can just throw out anything on the ground without being scared of eating a jump because they have until the last frame to fix their mistake. Obviously that’s fine and intended on a character with a DP but being cr.jabbed by bison at the last second when he is clearly designed to not have strong reactive AA? Stop

Also like I said I want to blow up jumps for real damage not some shitty mixup. 

15 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

One of the reasons why I loved Es in BB.
Game has so much air mobility, that picking the character who literally tells you to stay on the ground or die, was a treat.

6B Ch into 4,5k damage and Oki was a blessing.

Meanwhile, Ryu not only gets less damage from Cr. HP outside of the first active frame, but also can't cancel it into DP for actual AA damage.

Come on Capcom, gimme some buffs that aren't memes! 😭

You fine people think NRS gonna preview Injustice 3 this year ?  

I personally think that they will. New gen of consoles are out, loads of fighting games getting stuff and it kinda seems like MK 11 kinda got it's final characters ( i could be wrong ) 

Maybe it's time for Injustice 3. 

My only wish ? Don't mess up and add her back this time

thumb-1920-164248.jpg

7 hours ago, Dayaan said:

Hm. I think I'm decided on Strive. Not getting it. What about you all? Looks like a great game! I hope some players among us become tourney champs. I look forward to watching you guys develop. 

If anyone is skipping it, how come? I have my reasons, what are yours?

I’m not as hype about it as I thought I’d be... It looks great, and I’m not enough of a GG player to understand what’s different, but for me, the gameplay doesn't look exciting to watch, which IME, is fairly proportional to how much fun I have playing it.

I’m definitely trying out the beta before I decide on if i’m buying it at launch or not though

Just now, Skort said:

You fine people think NRS gonna preview Injustice 3 this year ?  

I personally think that they will. New gen of consoles are out, loads of fighting games getting stuff and it kinda seems like MK 11 kinda got it's final characters ( i could be wrong ) 

Maybe it's time for Injustice 3. 

My only wish ? Don't mess up and add her back this time

I think MK11 will have more characters released, but I’m not going to rule out an Inj3 tease.

7 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I think MK11 will have more characters released, but I’m not going to rule out an Inj3 tease.

I like watching the story modes of the Injustice series. 

It's like watching those sunday morning cartoons or some cheesy B movie at a drive in cinema.  You know it's not great stuff but it's oddly enjoyable.

Edited by Skort

I would prefer if the next DC fg wouldn't be attached to the Injustice universe.

I like the fg mechanics of the series, but i think that the setting is kind of holding back any story potential, specially with how Inj2 was only the "bad" world, so we were stuck with the poor man version of some chars, like Wonder Woman, which her characterization is terrible.

I understand that she is a villain, but the character lacks any of Diana's traits as a character that if I, that i am not particularly a fan of WW find it disappointing, i can picture her fans not being thrilled 🤣

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

I would prefer if the next DC fg wouldn't be attached to the Injustice universe.

I like the fg mechanics of the series, but i think that the setting is kind of holding back any story potential, specially with how Inj2 was only the "bad" world, so we were stuck with the poor man version of some chars, like Wonder Woman, which her characterization is terrible.

I understand that she is a villain, but the character lacks any of Diana's traits as a character that if I, that i am not particularly a fan of WW find it disappointing, i can picture her fans not being thrilled 🤣

DC Fans are used to this kind of struggle at this point.

Shoutouts to their lame attempt of a cinematic universe! 🤣

7 hours ago, Dayaan said:

If anyone is skipping it, how come? I have my reasons, what are yours?

I was on the fence about it until I played in the closed beta. I wished there were a few changes, but I end up having fun with it in the end. The game having my two favorite characters in the series and a cool new one pretty much guaranteed my purchase. And rollback coming to a new Japanese fighting game got me excited if only for other people claiming they would now play it because of it. I hope it turns out good.

10 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

It’s upsetting that it feels like Superman being a boyscout was last seen in the first Injustice game. Every Superman know has to be evil or edgy in some way.

2 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

It’s upsetting that it feels like Superman being a boyscout was last seen in the first Injustice game. Every Superman know has to be evil or edgy in some way.

Another thing that i would love (but i know it will never happen with WB and NRS at the helm) is that the DC fg actually took advantage of its roots and made a game with an aesthetic inspired from the medium they are adapting.

For how good the improvement from Inj1 to Inj2 was in the presentation department, it kind of feels like a waste to have a comic book fighting game not having a comic like look 😕

Great points by everyone. To be honest, I was expecting a solid round of, "Shut up, noob! Don't you know that wallbreaks are a Ninja Storm mechanic? Get out of my game!" and, "It has rollback, duh. That's the only reason I'm buying it - to prove a point. My singular purchase will surely change the fighting game development circle' mentality. I'm that important!"

Glad to see actual discussion. @HecatomI actually agree with a lot of your points. Martian can easily tell you that I'm no GG player, but this looks wholly different from any GG. I, however, like it because of this. @BornWinnerit's good to see fighting game players still buying games based on feel and love for the characters and series. Like I said, this whole politicizing of FG development is dumb to me. I mean, my friend gifted me rollback Garou on Steam for the purpose of "sending a message" (Retard et al). Just buy what you want! @MattatsuI'm the opposite. I'm really hyped... But I'm not getting it for the same reasons as you. I simply can't put that much effort into a game I'm forcing onto myself. It's not healthy and I'm not interested. I don't remember if anyone else answered, sorry..!