Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

What are your guys’ button layout on stick for VF?

Something like this:

G P K

x x x

I'm trying to figure that out right now. Your setup is currently what I have. The game's default for a stick wasn't working for me. It was setup like this.

P K x

G x x

I guess they were trying to mimic the arcade set up, but honestly this would be me more arcade cabinet and that doesn't work either IMO. I'll hit the buttons with "no use" with this layout.

x P K

G x X

2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

For whoever is wondering how to do the last evasion tutorial. I don't even understand the utility of it 🤷‍♂️

Sega always strived to make this system more built on an extension of logical situations. It's all about more options on protecting yourself, after an evade particularly, given the recovery time of it, which can leave room for planning through future intuition on your next strategy.

I've never used Emo Karate Man in VF before. I hate the way he looks but I like the way he plays.

Edit: Yeah I may rock him for now. Hopped online and went 3-0. I miss VF4 Vanessa. Don't think I have time, talent, or skill to mess with VF5 Vanessa. You are essentially learning two characters with her.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
15 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I've never used Emo Karate Man in VF before. I hate the way he looks but I like the way he plays.

He's a nice start, but me in particular, I value everyone in this series through the inconceivable nostalgia. 

It's all preference at the end, so a main to me was no longer needed, which has been that way for quite sometime. I believe eventually oneself, should they obtain strong fundamentals, then they can learn the rest of what every character has to offer. You become your own main basically. That's the anecdotal evidence of which I've discovered for myself and only for myself.

It preserves that genre for me, which keeps me from discontinuing it again. I couldn't be more satisfied. 

Edited by Emptyeyes
6 minutes ago, Emptyeyes said:

He's a nice start, but me in particular, I value everyone in this series through the inconceivable nostalgia. 

It's all preference at the end, so a main to me was no longer needed, which has been that way for quite sometime. I believe eventually oneself, should they obtain strong fundamentals, than they can learn the rest of what every character has to offer. You become your own main basically. That's the anecdotal evidence of which I've discovered for myself and only for myself.

It preserves that genre for me, which keeps me from discontinuing it again. I couldn't be more satisfied. 

Jean and Goh showed up right when I stopped playing a lot of VF. Arcades were dead. I had VF5 for 360, but I didn't snag Final Showdown until it became backward compatible on Xbox One. Of course I let my gold expire....so yeah. No online play.

This is my first time actually playing vf against anyone other than my brother so it's been a learning experience. 

Went with taka since I never got to play him since all I had was vanilla vf5.  

Read a basic guide and jumped straight online started actually winning ranked up a couple times. Regardless of tier lists I don't think I have what it takes to get too much farther with him.  

Ryu..erm I mean Akira and all the other smaller characters seem to give me such a hard time with him. 

But it's mainly I have a tough time converting into big damage with him which is his whole thing. So it's probably just me.

18 minutes ago, Illwill88 said:

This is my first time actually playing vf against anyone other than my brother so it's been a learning experience. 

Went with taka since I never got to play him since all I had was vanilla vf5.  

Read a basic guide and jumped straight online started actually winning ranked up a couple times. Regardless of tier lists I don't think I have what it takes to get too much farther with him.  

Ryu..erm I mean Akira and all the other smaller characters seem to give me such a hard time with him. 

But it's mainly I have a tough time converting into big damage with him which is his whole thing. So it's probably just me.

You won't know, until you try. I guess I had the luxury of versing a fair amount of prominent players in the distant past for years from this genre and was just patient in making the losses become less. However, I'm far more relaxed now, having no regard of the outcome, but cherish the moment and progressing therein. The competition in this genre in more recent times is as formidable and ruthless as the days of old. I'm interested in this generation of both old and especially the young lot, since the announcement of this series has resurrected. I'm revisiting the on-going fighting games of today. The irony of it all and the reminisce return of seeing where the chips fall.

I wish you the best on your journey.

Edited by Emptyeyes
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

My dude. You need help. Seriously. You trying to gin up drama on and old game that people's opinions have been set on for years.

I provided a proper representation of why your opinion on the meter management was unfounded. You're opinion is no the issue so much as the misrepresentation of the gameplay. If games are to be discussed properly, their actual qualities should be represented properly. this is something you have failed to do.

I await your reply as you reconsider the previous explanations of certain SF4 gameplay issues.

Regards,

🎩

🧐

🤏

13 hours ago, Reticently said:

I think it's less crazy than it might look.  While I generally disagree with having an 'S' tier when there are going to be 7 characters in it, they only used 3 letter grades, showing how the strength distribution is pretty compressed right now.  (Gotta count the + and - tiers as half steps within an actual tier.)

Then when you look at how they placed the characters themselves, there are only really two clusters going on:  S through A, and A- through B-.  If you look at which of those two clusters each character ended up in, there's a lot less to nitpick.  Maybe I'd swap clusters for Menat and Ibuki (but tbf my main does a lot better against Menat than against Ibuki).

I think everybody knows that tier lists like these are really just guesstimates.  But it's hard to get high quality data to do match-up charts that aren't also just based on guesstimates.

I miss when match up charts were more stantard early last in SFIV's lifetime but those take very long to both make and then  theorycraft. And a week later a patch just changes things anyway.

I see the topic of Gatekeeping and Friendship is coming up again.  I was always told no one would listen to me unless I won, and when I did people spoke to me less.  And you know what?  That's completely OK.  Here's my thoughts.

I know in the past I'd get frustrated at how the way I'd compose myself was met with all of this disdain, but the mistake I kept amking is that I figured because they were also competitors they'd understand the places we gotta go.  RobTV told me the other day on one of his workout streams that I shouldn't view a lot of these other players the same way I'd view my peers and rivals when I played organized sports like basketball and soccer.  Over the course of the last year I've felt way more secure in who I am as a person and as a competitor than I was five years ago, even after winning stuff at EVO, so now I'm whatever even if I go to Summer Jam and I get the stink-eye from certain people.

Do you, guys.  All that matters when you're at these things is a) are you willing to run the set and b) are you willing to give it your all when you do?  As long as you can say you did your best, that's all it boils down to.  

45 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

I see the topic of Gatekeeping and Friendship is coming up again.  I was always told no one would listen to me unless I won, and when I did people spoke to me less

Glad to see you again PB, I'm always interested in what you've been cookin up in your FG life!

Having said that, wtf are you going on about?  I am totally lost. 

Edited by Pair of Rooks
2 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Glad to see you again PB, I'm always interested in what you've been cookin up in your FG life!

Just some reminiscing.  Everyone on twitter is talking about how it sucks that no one listens to them unless they're a top player.  My response is that you shouldn't be in this to be listened to, you should be in this because you're looking to run the set in whatever game is your fancy.  In other words, we should value the fighting game part of the FGC and put less emphasis on the community part of the FGC, moreso to remind people why we're all here in the first place and it's not to re-enact our school clique days.  

Leave your problems at the door, we're all here for a mutual love of the game and the competition.  

1 hour ago, Psychoblue said:

Everyone on twitter is talking about how it sucks that no one listens to them unless they're a top player

Hm. Who is lamenting their not listened to? YouTubers? Random bronze scrubs? 

About matchups? 

Or about how their main totally isn't bottom tier? 😒

I guess I don't understand what's driving this need. Baseball fans talk stats and which player or team is on the come-up all the time. Do they lament no one listens to them? It's not why we talk.  We talk because it's fun and Cammy totally carries.

Edited by Pair of Rooks
2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Sad to hear, but it’s expected. 

Unfortunate.  Probably the game I'm most looking forward to  - but in the end it's probably for the best.  Wondering if the reason for the delay is the netcode, since SNK hasn't really worked with rollback before.  

6 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I forget who was talking about it but Gill is definitely wack af for a boss character. Dude looks some impressive at a glance but in gameplay he is so plain. 

SFV Gill? He is pretty fun to watch but his little brother is cooler.  I think Bison is a lot more boring than Gill in SFV maybe because Bison is so straight forward.

Third Strike boss version Gill? His supers are dope and flashy. Resurrection effects plus voice line is hype as fuck the first time. Even more hype when you parry it and beat him down when you learn the game. lol boring af to play.

I think his New Generation stage was awesome. Third Strike stage is dull. 

Edited by HonebamiX
9 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

Most people I know have switched from PS4 to PC for SFV. Curious to see how this'll work out for EVO. I can only imagine them dreading having to make the switch again.

From what I've seen SFV isn't even in this years Evo lineup.

So they should be fine.

2 hours ago, HonebamiX said:

SFV Gill? He is pretty fun to watch...

Lol that is the exact thing. Gill flexes hard on Twitter highlights but that’s it his day to day is so dry. I don’t care how fun a character is to watch I care fun they are to use. 

G is supposedly the boss of SFV and Capcom snapped with him. 

Edited by Vhozite
8 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Thank you for asking by the way!

Right now I'm revising, re-writing and even writing from scratch all of the character dialogue and arcade endings for TMNT x Justice League Turbo.  It's a huge honor to be finally be able to put my writing skills to good use in a project like this, especially when we have legends like Nona on the team doing their part.

I'm reaching back to TMNT lore I haven't used in almost 30 years as that was the last time anyone saw anything of Archie era Wingnut or War.  I'm surprising myself with how much I remember despite how long ago it was, those must have been some of the first comics I ever had.

5btruv.jpg

For real tho... I was really vibing with VF5US last night. That game is sick

edit: I'll also add that since VF5US is complete and final, it's nice to know that my game isn't going to have some crazy balance patch in 3 months that kneecaps a character or buffs one to moon. 

The stability is nice. And the netcode seems pretty decent 

Edited by KingTubb
45 minutes ago, Reticently said:

FWIW, if you go into Arcade Mode, the final boss on the SFIII path is a version of Gil that would be stupid unfair if it was playable in vs modes.

He's got SFIII style Resurrection, and a few other things.

I have literally never played arcade mode in this game so I wouldn’t know tbh. 

Arcade Mode was just a waste of development resources. Every casual that was crying for two years for Capcom to include it wasn't going to pick it up by then anyway and probably just went on twitter to say "took you long enough, lolz, imma back to fortnite" or something. Actually, remove the "probably", that sounds super accurate.

It's a shame you can't unlock all those cool illustration any other way then going through every route with every possible character.

1 hour ago, delete_me said:

Arcade Mode was just a waste of development resources. Every casual that was crying for two years for Capcom to include it wasn't going to pick it up by then anyway and probably just went on twitter to say "took you long enough, lolz, imma back to fortnite" or something. Actually, remove the "probably", that sounds super accurate.

It's a shame you can't unlock all those cool illustration any other way then going through every route with every possible character.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I can speak for most of the story thread when I say I couldn't disagree more. 

11 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I can speak for most of the story thread when I say I couldn't disagree more. 

I found the Arcade Mode was a giant waste of a opportunity.

Instead of clarifing things they just made them even more inconsistent.

But I think we both can agree that the Arcade Mode should have been there in the beginning.

It did little at the time it came out, since the people who did care about such a thing had long since left.

10 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Hm. Who is lamenting their not listened to? YouTubers? Random bronze scrubs? 

About matchups? 

Or about how their main totally isn't bottom tier? 😒

I guess I don't understand what's driving this need. Baseball fans talk stats and which player or team is on the come-up all the time. Do they lament no one listens to them? It's not why we talk.  We talk because it's fun and Cammy totally carries.

No one is entitled to be listened to just because they say something, just like a bum asking you for money isn't entitled to a payout. People need to stop with the entitlement, it makes life a lot easier when you realize you aren't really entitled to much of anything from anyone.