Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

55 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Most pressed because most of the reasons people shit on their games are generally because they don't play like SF or GG. 

Marvel 2 doesn't play like SF4. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a clusterfuck of mechanic and bad fireballs. Play all of them and have a lot of fun. Hell JoJo's has chip damage on normals, and stages wider than the Ice Age Sloth's head.

What happens is that NRS people walk around with more anal pain than smashers. My favorite game of last gen was probably the new SamSho. That plays fuck all like BBTag or SF5. Second behind it though was BBTag with all of its barbarity. Hell BBTag is literally made up of characters from a bunch of franchises I don't like and I've done nothing but talk up how fun the game is.

58 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

If anything, projectiles not nullifying each other would have made the Capcom characters stronger in MvC, so in a way, this is another point in favor of projectiles NOT nullifying each other being a better mechanic. 

No, Ryu would've still been ass because other projectiles also had additional fun properties that would've shit on it...which is what happens in Injustice and NRS games.  Even if projectiles didn't trade, Ryu was still going to lose a lot of the interactions because natural multihitting stuff would win. What would happen instead, is that spider-man would throw web balls from full screen, hit iron man mid projectile and then dash in for a full combo. Then everybody would go "Oh this doesn't make any sense and is total garbage" and then Magneto would tap dance on everybody.

Which is unironically sort of how NRS games work. Somebody throws some projectile then some dumb ass comes in flying with some ridiculous rushdown and mix up and that's life.

But for further evidence about how fruity it is not to have projectiles clash, lets bring up Zero's buster in UMvC3. That piece of shit fucking thing that can go die in whatever asshole it came from, had top tier durability...so it would go through a lot of beams. Hell it could shoot through some supers too if I'm remembering right. But it traded with nothing, and lead to a hard knockdown that you could OTG from for full combos. That thing was TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH.

TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH

Let me say it one more time for the people in the back:

TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH

Now Sub Zero wouldn't be useless if projectiles clashed because his projectile would still be more dangerous. But it isn't like Sub Zero is actively chucking ice balls to zone anybody out. They had to give him like 4 other specials to try and get him to zone. Then they split those up in variations and the guy is still bottom tier. So now you have a whole mechanic to supposedly make his projectile good but the dude is still trash because it has the goofy frame data due to projectiles not clashing.

They could've changed his whole dynamic by letting him have two versions of it and letting projectiles clash. He could have a fast one and a slow one to mix people up with. Two speeds and frame data adjustments and he ends up doing more work with projectiles clashing than he did before. And you know, without the goofy interactions. Instead he gotta may RealDolls of himself to chuck at people because he can't hadouken properly.

Aforementioned paragraph is on the last time I kept track of MK11's wack ass. Thankfully we don't do that anymore. PSN trying to sell me the game but SMH, it already jacked me of 60 bills AND THEN was like "It ain't theft if I give you Virtua Fighter". Like yeah man, that's still theft. If you pick my pockets but tickle my balls doesn't mean getting robbed was worth it.

7 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Aforementioned paragraph is on the last time I kept track of MK11's wack ass. Thankfully we don't do that anymore. PSN trying to sell me the game but SMH, it already jacked me of 60 bills AND THEN was like "It ain't theft if I give you Virtua Fighter". Like yeah man, that's still theft. If you pick my pockets but tickle my balls doesn't mean getting robbed was worth it.

This was an entertaining post to read so I have to give to the 👍👍👍 for that. 

But. 

Capcom felt forced to change how the SF series operates because of people complaining about how projectiles work in them. From SF2 we got SF3 with parries, Alpha with trash projectiles, SF4 with focus attacks, and whatever SF5 has. So to me that says either Capcom's listening to only scrubs or they know there's some kind of problem with the way they implement projectiles. 

NRS hasn't changed anything about how projectiles interact because it would affect how certain characters work in drastic ways. It's generally understood they if you're playing an nrs game, the fire fights are more tactical because if all you and your opponent do is stand there and keep throwing plasma, eventually one of you is going to run out of life before the other one. It's not like you can throw a fireball and expect it'll take out anything in its path, it's like being in a gunfight where you can shoot at someone but you might catch lead in the process. 

I'd put MK11 against any fighting game Capcom has made since the late 90s, with the exception of maybe SFxT 2013, but even that I think MK11 would give a run for its money. 

4 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

NRS hasn't changed anything about how projectiles interact because it would affect how certain characters work in drastic ways. It's generally understood they if you're playing an nrs game, the fire fights are more tactical because if all you and your opponent do is stand there and keep throwing plasma, eventually one of you is going to run out of life before the other one. It's not like you can throw a fireball and expect it'll take out anything in its path, it's like being in a gunfight where you can shoot at someone but you might catch lead in the process. 

The people who say this probably don't understand some of the stuff that goes into projectile battles in Street Fighter games. And I'll be 100% honest about it, I didn't understand a lot of subtleties of them until I started grinding Ryu in SF5 and figuring out how is it that fireball works, why certain things work the way they do etc. There's a lot going on in two projectiles clashing in SF that people don't care about, isn't explained and in general I don't think its really understood because the FGC is hella bad at teaching these things.

Which is why the easy solution to it is to go the NRS way and just chuck a million things and pat yourself in the back.

20 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Now Sub Zero wouldn't be useless if projectiles clashed because his projectile would still be more dangerous. But it isn't like Sub Zero is actively chucking ice balls to zone anybody out. They had to give him like 4 other specials to try and get him to zone. Then they split those up in variations and the guy is still bottom tier. So now you have a whole mechanic to supposedly make his projectile good but the dude is still trash because it has the goofy frame data due to projectiles not clashing.

They could've changed his whole dynamic by letting him have two versions of it and letting projectiles clash. He could have a fast one and a slow one to mix people up with. Two speeds and frame data adjustments and he ends up doing more work with projectiles clashing than he did before. And you know, without the goofy interactions. Instead he gotta may RealDolls of himself to chuck at people because he can't hadouken properly.

Please stop

Sub-Zero at no point in MK11 life has been low tier. Early on MK11 there were cries to get him nerfed because of how strong his mixups are. Even now the sits are upper mid to high tier on the strength of those mixups. His flaws as a character is low damage output and being straight forward. If you want to a low tier you look at Shao Khan.

Sub isn't built for zoning so he sure as hell doesn't have 4 specials to get him to do it better. If they wanted that they can give him Ice Clone back and let the tears flow. 

Someone asked about Darkstalkers zoning.  IIRC projectiles change strength based on how long they've been active.  So sometimes projectiles would clash and sometimes one would eat the other and keep on truckin'. IIRC it wasn't overly loved cause it felt inconsistent even though it wasn't. 

I like projectile durability in general but the implementation can ruin it. Most SF, durability equals the number of hits it delivers, so you never need to throw your projectile into another to see what happens, since the mystery projectile hitting your block tells you all you need to know. 

.. I'm trying to remember if some super projectiles like Gill's or Juri's worked differently. 

2 hours ago, Sonero said:

What? That's a legit interaction. Not even a specific game interaction, that's a multiple game interaction. Its intrinsic to the design of the game; at this point basically foundational.  Its the same with a normal multihitting projectiles and all the other random stuff they have to do to shake up fireballs. If they just clashed, you could add extra properties and it wouldn't' be that big of a deal. Because they don't, instead you get a mess of things flying at people and trading.

If both fireballs knock down, then the trade looks even dumber. Just two fireballs flying across the screen and knocking both people down for shits and giggles. Its about as big a goof as the idea that you can duck fireballs so long as you aren't holding block. Its unintuitive and plays weird.

That hasn't been an argument anywhere but it isn't like people are actually taking two seconds to think about anything. I play plenty of games that are different from each other. On top of that I love me some games that are jank. BBTag is fun as hell; BBTag also has absolutely bonkers hilarious nonsense that borders on being offensive. I ain't out here justifying why they made proper balancing decisions. I leave it at the game is fun and that's that.

Nobody argued it wasn’t an interaction lol. We all know that’s how it works. 

Your post was a scrub ass take because you implied Sub wasn’t outplaying when that is literally what happened in the example you gave. Sonya rings startup and travel faster than Sub Ice Ball. She doesn’t get caught by Ice Ball into full combo unless she is being careless or predictable. Ice Ball is easily avoided by ducking and has like 1000f startup, but it will blow you if try to throw plasma at him Willy nilly, which is the entire point of the move. Sub getting a full combo off a would-be trade fireball sounds ridiculous until you remember he’s in a game where characters like Scorpion can teleport in from fullscreen blow up a bad Ice Ball on reaction for a full combo. 

The lack of projectile clash forces you to think more about throwing a fireball because you aren’t automatically saved by the game if the other guy does the same thing. I think anything that forces pause like that is a good thing, as it keeps you on your toes. It also introduces choices that you don’t get in other games as often, like choosing to be hit by something because you know your attack will hit them and benefit you more. 

Mind you, this whole discussion started because NRS games were mentioned as having strong zoning, and the lack of clash is probably one of the biggest reasons why. 

Also I think it’s funny how y’all are so insistent the people defending NRS gameplay are mad when we aren’t even arguing that the system(s) they use are better. Like a lot of things in MK it’s just different. 

2 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Your post was a scrub ass take because you implied Sub wasn’t outplaying when that is literally what happened in the example you gave. Sonya rings startup and travel faster than Sub Ice Ball. She doesn’t get caught by Ice Ball into full combo unless she is being careless or predictable. Ice Ball is easily avoided by ducking and has like 1000f startup, but it will blow you if try to throw plasma at him Willy nilly, which is the entire point of the move. Sub getting a full combo off a would-be trade fireball sounds ridiculous until you remember he’s in a game where characters like Scorpion can teleport in from fullscreen blow up a bad Ice Ball on reaction for a full combo. 

Yeah, all the teleports is another reason why the game is wack. But that's not a discussion you guys are ready to have since Blue Mary got announced and you rather talk about Eyebrows McGore's wack ass game.

51 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I’m not trying to be mean, but do you have any idea how incorrect basically everything here is? 

7 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

The lack of projectile clash forces you to think more about throwing a fireball because you aren’t automatically saved by the game if the other guy does the same thing.

On this: Diddy Kong's banana peel was recently patched from being a normal projectile (it clashes) to a transcendent projectile (doesn't clash). 

His banana is similar to Juri's in that it has a separate move to prepare one, so clashes meant he had real issue even trying to produce another banana.

He was getting shit on by some zoners, so the change allows him to cause a trade with a zoner. Now he can either try to close the gap, or, pull another banana.

Also means that swordies who outrange him can no longer swat away his one good ranged attack. 

(I'm not a fan of the change. Diddy isn't exactly struggling on the tier list.)

3 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

The teleports ain't that bad. It's not like in MK9 where 1/3 of the cast had them. Majority of them are unsafe so they are easy to blow up. 

The only teleport that I think is over the top is Scorpion. Super fast, Air OK, and amp into a full combo? Lol what? Even the trajectory of the move is insanely good, as he quickly moves away from your character (and most of your attacks)  and then appears behind you where it’s almost impossible for him to be tagged by an already active move. The fact that this move was a mid at launch iirc is absolutely bonkers. 

The real reason I don’t like teleports is that they encourage bad fundamentals in new players. Sticking with my Scorpion example, you see a lot of newer players over rely on teleport to get in because even at -100 on block the move is still super strong and warps matchups by merely existing. This carries them until they run into someone who will blow up raw/random tele, then they just fold because they have no ground game. It ingrains in them early only that they need a special tool to deal with XYZ, when that isn’t true. 

7 hours ago, Vhozite said:

but do you have any idea how incorrect basically everything here is? 

You know I decided to go back to MKX and see how incorrect I was about some of this. Turns out Sub Zero wasn't zoning anybody out. He just does a rando ice clown, laughs when it hits then sets up a 50/50. Or he'll do a random ice clone and, since most of the cast can't really interact with a giant hitbox that freezes them being in the way, they kinda just look at it for a bit until he decides to chuck it at people.

Whew lads, I got zoned out hard.

Watching Sonic Fox vs Dragon in 2019. Cetrion got a million projectiles but can't establish anything. Why? Because Johnny Cage just throws some nonsensically fast thing at her and stuffs her. Stuffed her out of the one projectile she has that clashes with other projectiles. Its not even like she's getting zoned out, she can do less about this than Dan can do about Sagat in SF5.

Gonna go back to ignoring 50/50, projectiles don't clash and everything is made dumb land.

June 1st, 2021 - Sega launches a remaster of a 2006 game with seemingly zero netcode improvements yet already on milking the shit out of it via an esports circuit, DLC, and merch

June 8th, 2021 - ArcSys launch a brand new entry in a near 25-year old franchise with amazing netcode which allows people across atlantic ocean play vs each other with next to no issues unless one of the people is on WiFi

yeah I see nothing suspicious or wrong with this

6 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

Sega launches a remaster

HOLD it right there! | Street Fighter | Know Your Meme

In their defense, they rebuilt it in the Yakuza games' engine (dragon), so it's sorta a remake

But the netcode prolly gonna suck....

HOLD it right there! | Street Fighter | Know Your Meme

UNLESS SONY ACTUALLY FOOTED THE BILL AND IT'S GONNA BE A EVO! 

Sony don't want the game they paid for looking like shit right after they dropped the stacks to buy EVO, so the netcode might actually be nice 

adjusts tin foil hat 

I think Strive's will hold up. You'll definitely see a lot more negative incidents once it is out in the wild but that is probably going to be due to volume more than anything else. +R's netcode is great and Strive's seems to have as good or better bones than that, so I think that'll be all good. What is more of a going concern is if they can nail down the match connection issues that have been one of the bugbear issues during the betas. Something like that is probably going to be way worse at launch (I anticipate having to hang out in +R for a bit).

Re: VF5FS, I wish all the VF heads all the best but I think if that game had rollback they would have said something about it. Its enough of a buzzword that I feel like you make that a big fat bullet point. Plus it has only been relatively recently that Japanese devs have started to treat rollback as something other than THE FORBIDDEN JUTSU. 

That said, hopefully whatever delay code they have is good. I'll always prefer rollback but delay can work depending on how it shakes out.

The real tinfoil hat is that they ported the game to the Yakuza engine. Between that and how the Yakuza games had that VF energy in a lot of ways, I think that supports the theory that Sega is scouting a possible new VF game. Now *that* is a sexy thought.

Also I'll definitely download VF5. I have pretty much zero interest in VF but I've had a good time when I've played it in the past. And Vanessa continues to be rad. 

6 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

What is more of a going concern is if they can nail down the match connection issues that have been one of the bugbear issues during the betas

The fact that it wasn't really any better during the 2nd beta is really telling. They should just go with a "list" lobby system like +R, but I think they're planning to make some money on those avatars selling hats or whatever. They might already have some licensing money tied up in other IPs lending their likeness for said hats, so it's going to stick around (and prolly always suck😔)

9 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

That said, hopefully whatever delay code they have is good.

Like I said earlier, I think Sony footed the bill and they want it at EVO, so it's expected to preform. That or Sony is praying for an all Japanese top 8 so the netcode looks amazing

10 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Also I'll definitely download VF5. I have pretty much zero interest in VF but I've had a good time when I've played it in the past.

You know where to find me, homie. 

I've always wanted to get into VF, but I've never really had a good avenue to play it since it was trapped on the PS3/360, so I'm planning on playing a lot 

33 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

June 1st, 2021 -  Sega jumpstarts a well regarded series with by releasing an updated version of their last game. It has improved graphics, they're going to promote it heavily and doing it all for free.

June 8th, 2021 - ArcSys launch a brand new fragrance called "Odeur de Gibier"

Fixed for accuracy.

I like Akira Yuki as an anime character, his Anime is popular here along Yuyu hakusho than the SF2V anime that was also shown numerous times along with the cartoons.

I even have a collection of gachapons, figure and keychains yet Ironically I only played a very few VFs on the arcade and mostly played the genesis version lol

VF and DOA is the 3D FG that I wasn't into wayback. I played a lot of 3d plane fighters like tekken, soul calibur, psychic force, toshiden and etc 

I wished I was hyped as you guys. I hope Akira would guest more and someday in Tekken.

6 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

The fact that it wasn't really any better during the 2nd beta is really telling. They should just go with a "list" lobby system like +R, but I think they're planning to make some money on those avatars selling hats or whatever. They might already have some licensing money tied up in other IPs lending their likeness for said hats, so it's going to stick around (and prolly always suck😔)

Yeah I find it sort of delicious but also depressing that this stupid ugly shitty lobby that ArcSys is married to (like you said, at this point probably for some business reason but also maybe just good 'ol fashioned stubbornness) is what is going to be the main pain point of Strive. Netcode is great, the game is fun to play (for what it is, definitely not for all tastes), and it looks fantastic. But damn, that lobby.

I do think it'll get sorted out over time but that intermediate period is gonna suck.

6 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Like I said earlier, I think Sony footed the bill and they want it at EVO, so it's expected to preform. That or Sony is praying for an all Japanese top 8 so the netcode looks amazing

You know where to find me, homie. 

I've always wanted to get into VF, but I've never really had a good avenue to play it since it was trapped on the PS3/360, so I'm planning on playing a lot 

Never underestimate that Japanese stubbornness I just mentioned. You have Capcom out there running SFV tournaments online with their jank netcode FFS, with all of the hiccups that go along with that, after years of it being thoroughly documented that SFV's netcode was not up to that task. Or DBFZ trying to run an online circuit with it's online. Some folks up high hope willful blindness will get them by.

I could see a VF5 "exhibition" at EVO so they can engineer that the connections don't suck. Of course I'd love to be wrong and it has sick rollback under the hood. We'll know for sure soon!

I'll happily mash away at VF5. Dunno how into it I'd get exactly (I'm leaning into GG as hard as I can with my old man schedule) but it'd be great to play regardless. Count me in for the inaugural MS VF5 lobby, schedule permitting.

I was encouraged to grow VF gatherings in my local area of tournaments, as timid as I foresee the effort. The sweet lot of VFDC members are as mature as ever, especially containing the more older crowd. Since, I haven't been to tournaments in almost 20 years, I'm curious of how it is today and the infinite prowess of it all in each individual's specialization of games. 

12 hours ago, Sonero said:

The people who say this probably don't understand some of the stuff that goes into projectile battles in Street Fighter games. And I'll be 100% honest about it, I didn't understand a lot of subtleties of them until I started grinding Ryu in SF5 and figuring out how is it that fireball works, why certain things work the way they do etc. There's a lot going on in two projectiles clashing in SF that people don't care about, isn't explained and in general I don't think its really understood because the FGC is hella bad at teaching these things.

Which is why the easy solution to it is to go the NRS way and just chuck a million things and pat yourself in the back.

I was a Ryu main for about a year of my SF4 "career," did a lot of grinding with him so I understand the fireball game and how it works. In SF, it's more about positioning, but you don't have to think about WHEN to throw a fireball unless your opponent is real close and can potentially hop it and punish you, because if you and your opponent throw them at the same time, they cancel each other out and you're back to square one unless there's a greater plan in mind. The positioning game in NRS games works differently, but adds to it the fact that you may be taking damage (which may be to your advantage) while trying to zone/achieve position. 

Tl;dr, the fireball games are just straight up different in each game and I can't really say one is better/worse than the other. It's all opinion.