Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

sally kohn gay GIF by The Opposite of Hate

I think part of people's problem is assuming that everything they do is has to be fulfilling, but you need money to live, so you have to work and most of the time, you either have to find fulfillment in a job that may not be your first choice or just accept that you'll have to find it elsewhere. People on this whole "I need a job that fulfills my soul and allows me to make my mark on the world!" kind of bs. Once you get over that mentality, life gets a lot easier. 

21 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

sally kohn gay GIF by The Opposite of Hate

I think part of people's problem is assuming that everything they do is has to be fulfilling, but you need money to live, so you have to work and most of the time, you either have to find fulfillment in a job that may not be your first choice or just accept that you'll have to find it elsewhere. People on this whole "I need a job that fulfills my soul and allows me to make my mark on the world!" kind of bs. Once you get over that mentality, life gets a lot easier. 

I would be happy with a livable wage which they also don't provide. 

This idea that people should work dead end jobs that don't pay them a living wage (you said it yourself people need money to live) for their entire lives and have 0 to show for it. 

If people don't feel fulfilled at their job in some fashion be it pride in the work just happiness from proper compensation then they are going to do a shit job of their job. Customer service is a fucking shit show these days and no one should have to put up with that kind of work just to survive. 

So while I get your point I'll never understand why you keep defending these companies treating their employees like complete dog shit without proper compensations which you know they do, we all know it. 

It's not that the work isn't fulfilling but that it has become a canercerous growth on your life that doesn't actually benefit you no matter how hard you work. The majority of work these days is exploitive of the worker They dedicate vast amounts of their loves to someone else's dream and see barely any compensation for it. It's garbage. Unemployment shouldn't be EASILY paying more money then most blue collar jobs. That's goofy as fuck. When are we gonna realize that it's not ok for the Government to subsidize Wal-Mart's employee pay? 

Jobs aren't fulfilling in just about fashion these days. They don't even pay enough to live in anything more then a hovel. 

The super gay thing here is how you keep defending the status quo of work when it's unsustainable and is destroying work life balance and mental health in this country.

That super duper fucking gay as fuck. 

Edited by RSG3

I'm more interested in the point about the observable gap between the obvious decay and disrepair of the physical and structural systems we rely on, and the jobs actually available to be hired into.

Like yeah, if I suddenly fell on hard times I could quickly secure a poverty wage as a 3rd shift manager at Arby's or something.  But I couldn't get a livable wage updating my city's water supply to not use hundred year old lead lined pipes, because nobody is paying to do it.

Edited by Reticently
12 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I would be happy with a livable wage which they also don't provide. 

This idea that people should work dead end jobs that don't pay them a living wage (you said it yourself people need money to live) for their entire lives and have 0 to show for it. 

If people don't feel fulfilled at their job in some fashion be it pride in the work just happiness from proper compensation then they are going to do a shit job of their job. Customer service is a fucking shit show these days and no one should have to put up with that kind of work just to survive. 

So while I get your point I'll never understand why you keep defending these companies treating their employees like complete dog shit without proper compensations which you know they do, we all know it. 

It's not that the work isn't fulfilling but that it has become a canercerous growth on your life that doesn't actually benefit you no matter how hard you work. The majority of work these days is exploitive of the worker They dedicate vast amounts of their loves to someone else's dream and see barely any compensation for it. It's garbage. Unemployment shouldn't be EASILY paying more money then most blue collar jobs. That's goofy as fuck. When are we gonna realize that it's not ok for the Government to subsidize Wal-Mart's employee pay? 

Jobs aren't fulfilling in just about fashion these days. They don't even pay enough to live in anything more then a hovel. 

The super gay thing here is how you keep defending the status quo of work when it's unsustainable and is destroying work life balance and mental health in this country.

That super duper fucking gay as fuck. 

You need to read my post again if you think I'm "defending the status quo" or any of these companies. I don't even know why you're bring it up. 

What I AM saying is that everyone is responsible for their own happiness and fulfillment. Working a dead end job sucks, I've worked a bunch of them, but finding personal fulfillment outside of work was an important lesson I learned while working those jobs. I don't understand why that's such a crazy or controversial idea. Very few if any people whose job is their sole or even main source of fulfillment are healthy.

Just now, TheInfernoman said:

perhaps I should rephrase, I want to know what is YOUR living wage? your personal one...what will help you live...or rather the word is survive. 

Idk what the basement dollar value would be for me.

I've got 3 kids and a wife who also works, but it costs us > $30,000 a year in day care fees just so we can both go to work.  Our mortgage payment is cheap because we bought at the best possible time, we have two car payments but could cut back to one if we were in a single income situation, and I'm still paying off a student loan.

We could probably survive on $50k a year if one of us became a stay at home parent, we gave up on sending kids to college, and we planned on just killing ourselves at retirement so we didn't need to save anything to support ourselves with later.

21 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I normally am cool with the musings of Cory Doctorow, but lately it seems like he's been on another fucking bender. The recent Apple drama, I think, made him lose his goddamned mind.

Tbf, that's not original content, just him reposting shit he saw.  Much like I just did I guess.

There is a discussion to be had about how much of the money the government prints goes into the pockets of a tiny segment of the population (one way or another), instead of paying to fix our broken shit.

6 hours ago, MillionX said:

ok, if this is what they're going with on the new Revelations show....ehhh I'm not liking that at all...spoilers obviously:

Its far, far better than the 80's originals or the other Netflix series
Kevin Smith is respecting the source materials

The other one is not

Ram Ma'am, really? 

Edited by DarkSakul
He-man deserves to be dead for this shite

When they say living wage does that mean wages just enough to house and feed and cloth you?  I think a lot of folk think living wage also should cover their internet, cable, fast food dining, etc., etc..  Shit that isnt necessary but folk seem to think it is.

Im on a fixed income, im on SSI/SSD/Whatever they callin it now.  What I get each month is very little.  But It keeps a roof over my head and food in my belly.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

hahaha so I decided to check in on whatever is the latest with the dsp "detractor" vids, and here we go with this moment he put on a M. Bison hat....which of course reminds a lot of people of something else...

On another note I was curious again with this Todd Bridges and Dana Plato hookup situation back in the day...I wonder if it turned out to be some "true love" and all that and they stayed together for a long time, would she still be around today?  Todd is the only star from that show that's still alive now.  Also---he mentioned their hookup was when he was 13.  That puts it at 1978 then, so this was right as the show started, I guess---season 1 was that year.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

perhaps I should rephrase, I want to know what is YOUR living wage? your personal one...what will help you live...or rather the word is survive. 

I'm doing well on 2k a month.  If I REALLY locked it down I could even cut that in half.  Right now I put everything above that into a savings account for now.  Right now I don't need anymore than that.

12 minutes ago, Genghis_Dong said:

He literally just said he could live on less.

He can answer for himself you asshole.

@Deadly_RaverWhat are your expenses?  Like, shit you don't need?  I'm curious cause I get by on about 1000 dollars a month and I dont eat much beans and rice.  But I dont have a lot of...hmmmm...I cant think of the right word...I dont have a lot of shit I dont need.  I dont have a car payment, I dont buy clothes often, I dont eat fast food or go to restraunts, dont go to movies or concerts...if I do something for fun it usually just a drive to the beach or woods.  Thats free aside from gas. 

I'm a natural cheapskate so yeah it wouldn't take that much.  The amount of money needed for the most basic stuff is probably quite a bit lower than most people think... American people particularly, of course 😆  We have it pretty damn good compared to the rest of the world.

This reminds me---cheapest rent price I had to deal with was 625. (it was 2006-07)  Sheeeittt, that period of time in my life was awesome.  Overtime was suddenly available at work in a major way...so I was in this great situation where I was making wayyyy more money after moving into an apartment that was significantly cheaper than the previous one (775).  I also kept my bills as low as possible....it was SO good, man.  There was 1 time when my electric bill at this cheap apartment was only 19 bucks and change 🤣  Water was included in the rent so I only had to pay that 625 + whatever low electric bill I had each month in terms of my basic stuff.  Beyond that was the more fun stuff like my internet/tv, and phone service.  In terms of food, I was spending more freely on that and games/tech since I had all this excess money left over thanks to the overtime we had going on....ohhh those were good times; like still being a kid that suddenly has more than enough money to buy all the fun stuff he wants.

In my first apartment (775) all utilities were covered in the rent price.. and I didn't even have a regular phone service back then; I was using a pay-as-you-go thing where you get the cards for more time...ha, I remember there was different prices of "top-up" cards as they called it, and I would just get a $30 one...it worked out since I was on the phone a lot anyway.  During this time, my food expenses were kept as cheap as possible since I was just starting out with the state job and the pay was seriously low.  I was doing stuff like just carrying a sandwich as my lunch for the day, or if I went to a place like Wendy's for lunch...that might be once out of a week...and only for that $1.00 menu---that little bacon cheeseburger was the shit for only a dollar 😆...add the cheap fries and there ya go---it was lunch for about $2.18 at the time.....haha with no drink unless it was water.

Edited by MillionX
42 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

He can answer for himself you asshole.

@Deadly_RaverWhat are your expenses?  Like, shit you don't need?  I'm curious cause I get by on about 1000 dollars a month and I dont eat much beans and rice.  But I dont have a lot of...hmmmm...I cant think of the right word...I dont have a lot of shit I dont need.  I dont have a car payment, I dont buy clothes often, I dont eat fast food or go to restraunts, dont go to movies or concerts...if I do something for fun it usually just a drive to the beach or woods.  Thats free aside from gas. 

Damn.  Right to the asshole?  There's a picture I could post, but it's against ALL the rules. 

pretty much what you said.  I could get by on 1000 a month, but it would mean cutting out a lot of stuff that in truth I don't need.  I do support some content creators, I try to eat out just so that I have to leave the house, and even though I don't go to movies and/or concerts, I pretty much buy something every month, usually via in-game purchases.  Restaurants is another one.  Me and a friend of mine trade off paying for trips out.  One of the main problems is the greedy ass companies here jacking the power bill(s) up.  between it and rent there goes 700 of the 1000 a month by itself before adding in the other bills.  If I REALLY need to save, I know where I would cut at first.  It's not like I'm starving over here, trust me.  If I need to tighten the belt, I can do so with ease.  Hell, I might just do it soon anyway.  I need the housing prices to hurry up and crash so that I can snag a new batcave on the cheap though.  Just to beat this dead horse once more, I live on 2k, but I could live on LESS if I try.  

EDIT:  No car notes here either, at least not yet.  

Edited by Deadly_Raver
1 minute ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I aint judging, bro.  I dont cur if you a poor man or a rich man...long as you're cool you're cool.

I think a lot of folk could cut a lot of unnecessary stuff from their lives and save so much money. 

this is true.  I think the reason I haven't cut some of the unnecessary stuff out yet is because I'm saving enough as is.  Still, it might be nice to save up a little more. 

.................But I'm not giving up my steak.  For the local cows, EVERY Friday may as well be the 13th and I'm coming with the knife.  

4 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

When they say living wage does that mean wages just enough to house and feed and cloth you?  I think a lot of folk think living wage also should cover their internet, cable, fast food dining, etc., etc..  Shit that isnt necessary but folk seem to think it is.

Im on a fixed income, im on SSI/SSD/Whatever they callin it now.  What I get each month is very little.  But It keeps a roof over my head and food in my belly.

Depending on where you live and I barely count it, yea you.kinda do need the internet. You can't even get a job these days without the internet no one has paper applications anymore. 

Edited by RSG3
7 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

But you can access the internet free at many places.  Libraries for instance. 

Not everyone has access to a library. When I lived in Palmer in mass you had to drive 45 minutes to the nearest ghetto library that was hella underfunded in Springfield and dangerous to go to. Most employment locations do not provide public Wi-Fi (And people argue a phone isn't a need anymore either when it clearly is) or a public kiosk to access. 

Edited by RSG3
2 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Library was just one place I mention.  Hell go to starbucks.  there is like 20 in every town/city and they give out free internets.  And there are always other places, you just gotta look.   You can come up with all the different reasons why you need it but in reality you don't.  Its just more convenient if you do have it. 

The fact your advocating wandering around town to find access to free WiFi as advice for getting a job proves it is a need. 

8 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

how did you gain so much weight to begin with?

I was on anti-depressants for a few years and my weight ballooned out of control since a common side effect of most anti-depressants is moderate to severe weight gain. 

After that it was just general depression due to a laundry list of things and not really caring what kind of food/drink I was putting into my body. 

That’s the abridged version. 

I started the diet I’m on around late April/very early May. When I started I weighed around 298. My goal right now is to be under 250lb by end of September. My long term goal (which I honestly feel is where the real work is going to begin) is floating between 200-220lb

Edited by iStu X
13 hours ago, MillionX said:

if this is what they're going with on the new Revelations show....ehhh I'm not liking that at

My man's videos usually divulge into hyperbole. This may be true, if so, oh well.

6 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

Kevin Smith is respecting the source materials

People are mad about half of a show. Also folks were upset that the show is called Masters of the Universe is exploring the other Masters of the Universe. 

I'm just noticing this and watching it now... The Orange Years: The Nickelodeon Story!  This should be good...it's a documentary/movie going over the history of that network and most likely some good behind-the-scenes stuff....it's on Hulu.  So many memories coming back...right off the top they're already talking about PINWHEEL!  Sheeeitttt, back in the days of "You Can't Do that on Television", I thought Alanis was such a cutie...Christine and Alanis were the best looking girls, imo.

haha, so I showed mom the first episode of The Strain earlier... yeahhh that might've been a bit too much there.  The visual of "Master" when you first see it in this show truly is some excellent nightmare fuel....that scene where he kills the first dude in the airport hangar area then dashes off into the background super-fast is such a cool visual; it's one of the scenes I remember most from the series.  I would've gone a slightly different route with how his face looks though (solid black eyes would've been a better look; his eyes still look somewhat human, and with that giant head it comes off looking just a tad silly), which is revealed a bit later.  It's a shame that Guillermo del Toro didn't stick around to direct more of the show... when he left for whatever reason, that was most likely why the show started to go noticeably downhill in quality.  The first few episodes of this when he was directing were amazing... I can't say enough good things about it.  The tension when they first approached the "dead plane", and of course the characters are trying to figure out just what the hell happened there.... SO good, man.

Edited by MillionX